Author Topic: WARNING - THE DANGER OF BLINDS  (Read 1100 times)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: WARNING - THE DANGER OF BLINDS
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 13:33:58 PM »
Yes in our old house we had these blinds in the conservatory but we took the cord out the bottom on them all, they still worked and hung fine, made no real difference.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
I took the bottom cord out of my vertical blinds too - an accident waiting to happen.   

Also a reminder about the cord that pulls up venetian blinds, always make sure this is tied up to the wall on the little hook that you wind it round. Riley was playing with a fly behind the blinds one day, when he dashed out he got tangled in the cord as it was hanging down - luckily I was there to free him but I dread to think what could have happened if I'd not been there to rescue him.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
We have to peg up the cords on our wooden blinds in our bay window as they boys play with them.
I get worried about them being caught up in them.

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:10:52 AM »
My Lyla got these stuck around her neck once, good job I was her to save her.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
WARNING - THE DANGER OF BLINDS
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 17:47:05 PM »
Like many people we have vertical slatted blinds across a large patio window. The tops and bottoms of these blinds are connected by a stringed plastic beaded chain.

One of our cats loves roll around and had a catnip mouse to play with. She rolled around with her mouse and across the floor where the smell of catnip was still strong. Her body became entwined  within the beaded chain, which had signs of being chewed as she tried in vain to escape. Thankfully, although the chain was tightly around he, she was not cut but her breathing must have been restricted. She was fine.Tiggy is a grown cat and was about 6 years old at the time.

Please be aware of this real hazard. It is so easily solved by completely removing the lower chain near the floor. Your vertical slats will flap around a bit but still be secured at the top but - of far more importance - your cat will be safe.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat