Author Topic: Introducing a new cat.  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Frodocat

• Kitten
Re: Introducing a new cat.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 15:01:52 PM »
The link works great, thanks for posting it.
I think that's probably going to be the best method all around, I don't mind if it takes a long time, I just want to make sure things go fairly smoothly and that Frodo in particular isn't too stressed by our new addition.

Thanks for the info on Feliway, I'll definitely give that a try. Frodo's always been fairly easily stressed so that could be a big help.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 14:51:41 PM »
I was about to post that link too, it's a tried and tested method written by an animal behaviouralist who runs her own rescue.  Have you heard of/tried Feliway?  It's a plug in that releases calming pheromones so might help Frodo relax around his new sister, you can get it from your vets but it will be much cheaper from an online pet pharmacy - lots of us on Purrs use www.vetuk.co.uk  I've used it successfully in calming down my cat when he was freaked out and also when we moved home.  You can get it in a spray and a plug in, I think the plug in is best for introductions, it does take a few days to 'warm up' though.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=149_1&products_id=334

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 14:45:20 PM »
http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

might not work, I'm not techie!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 14:44:10 PM »
there is an excellent method on here somewhere that many of us have used, it is very gradual and involves scent swapping but totally worth taking the time over - I'll see if I can find it if not someone will post it for you I'm sure

Offline Frodocat

• Kitten
Introducing a new cat.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 14:41:28 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a bit of advice on how best to introduce my 4 year old neutered male cat Frodo to our newest addition Arwyn, a 9 month old female who we're currently fostering but planning to adopt if no owner claims her.

Frodo is a house cat through choice, he's never had any desire to go outside and just prefers slobbing around the house. Because of this he's had very little contact with other cats. He did live with my Parents and their 2 cats briefly while I moved home and he was fine with their cats, he just wanted to play.   Arwyn on the other hand is streetwise and has a few war wounds from fights with other cats.  For now we've kept them separate, but Arwyn is fed up and wants to roam the house and Frodo is missing his favourite sunny spot in the bedroom.
Do I just bite the bullet and let them meet, or is it better to gradually introduce them using a baby gate with a curtain above it, or something similar so they can see, but not harm each other at first?   Any advice or people's experiences of introducing cats would be greatly appreciated.

When we got our dog Frodo became ill with cystitis which the vet believed was partly due to the stress of a new puppy, so I need to try and ensure any stressful encounters are kept to a minimum.

Link to CatChat