Author Topic: New kitten  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
Re: New kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 13:51:25 PM »
Thanks for that it's put my mind at rest  :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: New kitten
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:01:53 AM »
My batteries on my keyboard keep fading Grr!  >:(

This is normal behaviour, you just have to make sure that it dos'nt get out of hand as the bigger cats can go a bit overboard in their play....

The main thing is when the kitten is being submissive the older cat accepts this as a sign of defeat on the younger one's behalf....If she were to still keep going then you would have to seperate but it sound's like they are doing the right things!  ;)

I dont think it will be too long till you see them snuggled up together somewhere!  :Luv:

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
New kitten
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:15:36 AM »
Hi All

My new kitten is now called Asha. She's been here for 9 days and, unless I am out,  is now allowed in the same room as Willow who is 18 month old, though by next weekend I expect Asha to have full access to all rooms. At first Willow seemed terrified of the kitten who kept charging her and head butting, Willow kept trying to get close enough for a sniff but every time she did the kitten charged like a bull elephant and Willow ran away :rofl:

I see them interacting now but I'm not convinced it's play and would appreciate some advice....

Willow sits watching the kitten like a hawk. The kitten likes to sleep in her cat carrier now I have removed the door and when she does Willow sits on top on full alert. When Asha is awake, unless being charged  :rofl:, Willow either sits and watches Asha play or they "play" tag with their paws... or do they? Willow will start off with a gentle tap but it soon escalates into a furious tapping that knocks Asha off her feet and she either runs away or rolls belly up in submission. Willow doesn't have her claws out so I'm hoping she is just letting the little one know whose boss or doesn't realise how fragile she is, but is this behaviour something to worry about?

Both cats are happy eating when the other is around, but Willow won't sleep if the kitten is out and about

Link to CatChat