Author Topic: Advice on 8 month old!  (Read 1492 times)

Offline n33712

• Kitten
Re: Advice on 8 month old!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 23:37:11 PM »
Hi

Thak you both for your replies.
Yes, using the bath was very considerate of her!

:thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 23:22:07 PM »
Hi Matt

:welcome: to Purrs

I have three indoor trays too and only one is used regularily , another only occaisonally and the third nearly never  :rofl:   In the summer the two are usually never touched but in the winter used more.

Just wanted to say our circs are identical to Gill except 3 cats not 4.  Isn't Rosie clever to use the bath as it's so easy clean  ;). Trays inside are much better than puddies using carpet etc.  I'm sure you'll find they use outdoor more frequently as the weather improves and they get more used to it.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 22:45:27 PM »
Some cats go outside and dont wanna go inside , others are the reverse and most like a half and half affair  ;D

I have four cats and a big garden, one cat goes outside no matter what the weather and it would only be a person or another cat who would scare here abnd she would come back in.

One cat only goes inside and the other two are inside.outside ones!

You cant train them to go only outside cos there are too many things that may go wrong, weather, a visiting cat, scared of something etc etc and even if they always seem to go outside you still need an indoor tray or two just in case.

I have three indoor trays too and only one is used regularily , another only occaisonally and the third nearly never  :rofl:

In the summer the two are usually never touched but in the winter used more.

Offline n33712

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 22:38:57 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Your right, i should bring it back inside so i can easily monitor rosie.
I know some cats will never get used to going outside to the toilet and will always prefer a litter tray but how do you try to train the cat to go outside or is it a natural thing that may or may not happen?

Thanks again

Matt

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 22:17:40 PM »
 :welcome: to purrs

although they may like going outside , you still need to keep littertrays inside for when thery perceive emergencies and also cos it helps you to know when they have a problem like rosie did.

i think you should put back their trays where they were and then you will be able to tell if its a cystituis problem or not.

also remember that although cystitus is a medical condition it can be brought on by stress........like taking their litter trays outside!

i hope rosie is recovering but please give them indoor trays again too  ;D

Offline n33712

• Kitten
Advice on 8 month old!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 22:07:46 PM »
Hi all

I found your website today and upon reading some posts i feel that people here give helpful advice, so i have a query about my 8 month old cat.

I have 2x 8 month old cats called Rosie and Oscar. They are adorable, well behaved (still cheeky sometimes - as cats are!) and are fantastic friends to me and my girlfriend. Rosie a week or so ago began to squat strangely leaving a small drop of urine behind. I also noticed that she was having trouble going to toilet. She was sick a couple of times and mewing differently than normal.
I took her to the vets and found she had cystitis. the vet treated her and gave me some liquid and tablets to give her each day (am still treating with these now) She seems to be getting better.

About a week before this happened i bought a new cat bed for upstairs so they can join me while i am on the pc. One night (when cystitis started to appear) she wet the bed - vet seems to think she was asleep and just relaxed, not a problem, just put the bed in the wash.

Am getting to my worry - i promise!

We made the decision before we got them that they would if they wanted have access to the outside world via a cat flap. They have been using this cat flap know for a couple of months, starting with just during the day and building up to 24/7, all the time still having a litter tray indoors. We now would like to start 'training' them to go to the toilet outside. I put the litter tray outside under cover about 2 weeks ago. Showed them where it was and........excellent they both are using it straight away and for the last 2 weeks i have had no problems.

Today Rosie jumped in to the bath and urinated in there! She went with no problems or soreness that she has been having with cystitis.
Do you think that it could still be related to the cystitis problem or do you think this could be the start of some kind of behaviour problem?

Any suggestions i would really grateful - sorry for the long post but thought i should explain everything. Hope it makes sense?

Cheers

Matt

Link to CatChat