Author Topic: Cats going for a walk  (Read 1102 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Cats going for a walk
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 17:23:07 PM »
I used to use a harness on my last cat Biggles when he was a kitten to get him used to the area. After this he used to enjoy coming for regular walks and used to trot along beside me. :hug:

I also used a harness on Archie in the same way but he does not want to come for a walk preferring the garden.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 14:57:36 PM »
I've just been in Bayonne where there's a sphynx cat (the hairless one?) called Charlie who walks around the town at night on a harness :)  He's a breeding tom so the local pooches know not to mess with him! He belongs to an artist and spends quite a lot of time in bars methinks  :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 19:46:40 PM »
Some cats do take to a harness but very few.  We used to take out two Siameses for walks on collar and lead but they were "trained" from 8 weeks old and it was 40 years ago.

The trouble with "walking cats" is 1. most cats don't like to be "walked" like dogs .... they prefer to do their own thing which means you end being lead a merry dance.  2.  if kitty gets spooked they are inclined more towards flight rather than fight.

In my opinion if you can get your kitty to wear a harness and walk on it then it's fine to walk them in the garden but NOT to take them outdoors - where they might meet a dog / car / etc. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 19:48:30 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 19:45:30 PM »
Yep, tried it with Koscha and Mischief when they were kittens!

Might be worth a try if he's willing to follow you. Cat harnesses are available from a lot of places (even Ikea sells them). don't just attach a lead to his collar, thats a recipe for a lost kitty!  :shocked:

Get him used to the harness only first, put it on him for short periods and build up the time. Then when he's comfortable with that, clip on the leash. Let him decide his walking pace and it's best to start in the back garden which he knows. Then take it up a gear to quiet roads.

Last but not least, praise and treats will help a lot  ;)

Hope that helps.

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
Cats going for a walk
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 15:59:15 PM »
My four cats all have access to a secure garden area where they have been in for years (well at least the first two I have).  They are happy in general but one of my male cats is so much like a dog, he would love to come with us wherever we go.   Has anyone evr tried a cat harness and taking their cat for a walk?  i think i saw aomeone doing it once but it was a pedigree.  i am sure i would feel balmy doing it but I am wondering if anyone has treid it and if it is very difficult for them to do.  I don't consider this urgent at all, because he has outdoors access all the time but i was wondering if it would make life even more exciting to see other areas with us on a harness.  It would only be suitable for him because he is the only one behaving like a dog already.

Link to CatChat