Author Topic: when to close catflap for first time?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: when to close catflap for first time?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »
I had a solid cupboard door, a large bucket full of water with a brick in it , but I am afraid my monsters broke through the lot. A bag of litter would have just been shredded and strewn across the floor I am afraid (I have seen what they can do with the 7.5 kg bags of dog food and it's not pretty ...  (and yes I recognise that food is an incentive, but so it going outside ....

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 10:05:49 AM »
Every night without fail at 9pm the cat flap is locked, but it will allow them to come in but not exit. This is also the case during the day whilst I am at work. This may change next week once the garden has been cat proofed finally. I did have a stage when they were smashing through the flap even when locked, so I put a 10kg bag of litter in front for a month and then this stopped.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:57:12 AM »
since i have installed my catflap I have had to keep the kitchen door shut at night or my babes simply bash their way through the cat flap to freedom. As she is accustomed to coming and going to her heart's content, you may find you have similar problems. I recommend you put a barrier up in front of the cat flap to make it clear that it is out of bounds. If that does not work, you will have to follow in my path I am afraid .........

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
when to close catflap for first time?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:52:36 AM »
Hi again,

I've had a catflap in use for about a month now without shutting it ('locking it' may be a better way of expressing it) and I'm wondering whether Bubz might get confused if she cant get out of it.

She's happy going in and out now the magnetic bit has been disabled, but I would like to be able to keep her in at night now the clocks are changing. As long as its been dark its been easy - needing to actively 'encourage' her to go out last thing! - but as it gets lighter I am worried that it will get to the point where we'll have to actively 'encourage' her to stay in!!!!

Advice very welcome.

Helen
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Link to CatChat