Author Topic: Important things for rehoming  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Important things for rehoming
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 09:45:15 AM »
If she IS prepared and able to pay for the spaying and vacc's, then she's obviously dedicated to her cats, despite the lapse in housekeeping. As long as there isn't feaces on the carpet, or no food, or millions of cats with fleas etc (you know the thing, you see them on news programmes when they've been prosecuted for neglect) then the cat would be happy.

I'm sure the love and attention matter more to a cat than whether the carpet has been hoovered or the shelves dusted.

You would HATE my place, Mark. But the cats love it! I don't mind if they scratch furniture etc; but sometimes I don't wash up for a few days  :Crazy: and my friends tease that the hoover is a piece of modern art stuck in the corner!!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 08:01:01 AM »

Worse than that, she hadn't scrubbed the step!!!  :P

... or polished the brass door knob!!! Goodness Mark, you will have us all wearing kerchiefs on our heads (over our curlers) and aprons and getting down on our hands and knees scrubbing the floor with sugar soap soon!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 07:44:13 AM »
but I could smell it a bit. Although

To be honest I have found that in homes that Kim & Aggie would have been proud of when the owners have used certain types of litter. I never find it with the wood based litter. I think the only time I would is if a cat had a problem then it is a timely reminder to take the little one to the vet ASAP.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 22:08:35 PM »
She has 3 cats + a snake tank in the bedroom + geese in the garden - I saw the litter tray and it looked clean (no poo) but I could smell it a bit. Although it wasn't a crazy cat-lady type house, it was ripe for a Kim & Aggie show  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 21:38:36 PM »
It is the love  and care a person gives pets that matters not how clean is the house. Although I am not talking about the homes you sometimes see on TV with dozens of cats living in squaller.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 20:33:52 PM »
I think as long as she takes good care of the animals then that's all that matters, they're happy, they're healthy.. Ok so she's not the cleanest person in the world, I'm sure the cat would rather go home to her than have to be kept waiting for her new home.. I don't see the problem with a dirty carpet to be honest.

Obviously she's not bothered. Don't disbled people get home helps?

Anyway, she quite happily walked upstairs to show me the cat.

You can't really judge on how disabled someone is like that..

I know someone who can walk to her front door and let people in. Though can't go much further and is very weak but doesn't like to be confined to a wheel chair all the time and in her own home, if she was to go out then she would have to be. She has a carer, but doesn't really do much house work more just makes sure she's ok, though not all disabled people get help. And I know she gets a lot of nasty things said about her from people because she can walk those few steps.. People assume she's not as ill and not as limited as she is because they see her do that..

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 20:07:49 PM »
Obviously she's not bothered. Don't disbled people get home helps?

Anyway, she quite happily walked upstairs to show me the cat.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 18:50:37 PM »
Did you say she was disabled? She might have problems cleaning the house. I think as long as the cat is happy, well fed, cat litter in ship shape condition, then there's nothing to worry about.
A cat can purr its way out of anything!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 18:48:49 PM »
I have to go back to take pics of the other kittens as, although I remembered my camera this time (as you heard on the phone  :evillaugh: ) There was no mem card in it  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 18:59:21 PM by Mark »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 18:37:41 PM »

To be fair, this lady went above & beyond for missie so hats off to her

Yes, agree with that. I think it was a case of her being way in over her head, though. I think I'd be if I got landed with an about to pop Mum.  :Crazy: :scared: Thank goodness she called her help!  :wow:

Maybe we can blag a visit to see the new babies, Mark?  :cheer: I still owe you a coffee...  :sneaky:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 18:24:46 PM »
Well, Mark, you nailed it for me when you said the litter tray was clean and there was food and water.  ;) I'd certainly concider letting her have Missy back.  :innocent:

I took the initial call from this lady today. I am so pleased we managed to squeeze Missy in because this lady was absolutely clueless and panicking. Thing's weren't looking good for Missy and her babies.  :( Only time will try if she wants Missy back. After 8 weeks, she may not be so pleased to fork out the cash for neutering, vaccing and chipping we'd insist she pay. That's a lot of cash to shell out for a cat you didn't want in the first place, and who isn't suffering because the CP have made sure she didn't..   ;D ;)

To be fair, this lady went above & beyond for missie so hats off to her

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 18:22:59 PM »
Mark's (aka Kim & Aggie) definition of squalid is probably the washing up left overnight and a cushion out of place  :evillaugh: 

:rofl:

Worse than that, she hadn't scrubbed the step!!!  :P

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 18:18:05 PM »
Well, Mark, you nailed it for me when you said the litter tray was clean and there was food and water.  ;) I'd certainly concider letting her have Missy back.  :innocent:

I took the initial call from this lady today. I am so pleased we managed to squeeze Missy in because this lady was absolutely clueless and panicking. Thing's weren't looking good for Missy and her babies.  :( Only time will try if she wants Missy back. After 8 weeks, she may not be so pleased to fork out the cash for neutering, vaccing and chipping we'd insist she pay. That's a lot of cash to shell out for a cat you didn't want in the first place, and who isn't suffering because the CP have made sure she didn't..   ;D ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 18:20:02 PM by Pinkbear »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 18:17:38 PM »
Mark's (aka Kim & Aggie) definition of squalid is probably the washing up left overnight and a cushion out of place  :evillaugh: 

Seriously though, although it would obviously be better if the human conditions were up to standard so to speak, I think that as long as the animals are loved, well cared for, provided with veterinary care and aren't 'affected' by the human conditions then I don't see a problem with it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 18:17:09 PM »
. I suppose it depends how you define squalid.

The doors etc were thick with grime, on ledges, there 1/2" of fluff & dust, you could have picked up the dirt with your hands from the carpets. Funny thing is, as dirty as it looked, it didn't smell bad.

MBll

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 18:11:55 PM »
Id say it dosnt mater what the house looks like as long as the animals are well cared for & they folk are responsible
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 18:18:35 PM by RatiesRule »

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 18:11:02 PM »
As long as her animals are cared for and given medical attention and as long as the woman can cope with the cat then I see no problems. I suppose it depends how you define squalid. one mans compost heap is another mans castle.
You say the trays were clean and the animals looked happy.

They are loads of well off middle-classers out there with lovely homes who don't appreciate what it means to be a caring owner.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Important things for rehoming
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 18:01:45 PM »
I just got back from collecting a pregnant mum and taking her to the cattery - the lady already has 2 cats so rang Sharon about Missy, a pregnant stray. she has 2 cats already so called the  " :bum: PCA " - They told her to put a paper collar on and leave it as "it will sort itself out"!!  >:( - They told her if it was a dog, they would have helped. She said they sent her an RSPCA paper collar and asked for a donation for it  >:( (she showed me the collar and it was very tatty so I know she was telling the truth) she had put her phone number on but nobody called in tthe 2 weeks,. She called Sharon and Sharon decided to take her as she was concerned that the lady who is disabled may not be up to 2 hourly feeds etc.  Poor missy is about to drop at any minute. The lady is adamant that she wants missy back after she has the kittens and is spayed. The question is, this was the dirtiest house I could ever imagine but the lady is a geniune animal lover. She showed me her 12 year old male cat who was in an RTA and was dragged along by a car. He needed 3 claws/pads removed and a skin graft from his tummy to his front leg. He was a happy little boy with a twisted  front leg with long fluffy tummy fluff. She said she paid over £1000 to get him better. Personally, I think although the house was squalid, the animals are loved an cared for there. The litter tray was clean, there was food, water, catbeds etc. I think its probably better than a immaculate house where the animals are ornaments.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Link to CatChat