Author Topic: How have cats changed your lifestyle ?  (Read 7526 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: How have cats changed your lifestyle ?
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2007, 15:05:59 PM »
thanks for the tip Ruth, I've give that a try this weekend!

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2007, 09:18:30 AM »
Hiya,

Great video, I'll show it to my lot in the forlorn hope that they'll have a change of heart towards the hoover  ;D

Thanks Ruth, great pics, I bought some eggs especially yesterday and I'll try the puds out with this over the weekend, excellent.

Although I've been owned by cats for more than 17 years now I think the main difference for me between not having cats and having cats is how much happier and calmer I've become because of them. As an example let's take the situation where I'm working on the computer and Frankie'll waddle in, headbut the chair, miaow loudly and demand that I up tools and lay down on the settee so that he can leap up for a stroke and to fall asleep or when Suzie miaows repeatedly at 10 PM for me to come to bed or Alfie head buts and licks me to death when he wants feeding all of these things might, to the non cat fraternity, seem an intrusion on one's time but to me they're magic moments and make one realise that there's little that is so important in life that it can't be put off or done later to accommodate their emotional and physical needs. When I'm stroking any of them, sometimes two at a time on my lap, listening to them purring, being head butted, licked to death having lost all sensation in my arm(s) and/or leg(s) and being covered with a ton of cat hair I can feel the stresses drain away and a feeling of contentment flooding in, in short, priceless.

All the best

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:12:44 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2007, 00:18:53 AM »
I notice so many people mention that they can't do the hoovering 'cos their cats are too scared...

Well, some cats are different.  :evillaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=187kmDiiiVY

Oh my goodness  :rofl: :rofl: :Luv: 

I like my face the way it is so wont be trying that one with mary  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2007, 20:57:11 PM »
well that would certainly cut down on the hair on the furniture, the clothes, the floor, the windows, ........... ;D

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2007, 20:14:43 PM »
I notice so many people mention that they can't do the hoovering 'cos their cats are too scared...

Well, some cats are different.  :evillaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=187kmDiiiVY

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2007, 19:31:03 PM »
Leigh/Dawn... here you go (and yes.. I spent 10 minutes trying to find the hidden toys that as someone said earlier...vanished in thin air!)  The photos were taken not 10 mins ago.. and Lexy is now cleaning her bum.. which oddly enough I find very endearing  :evillaugh: 

Searching

Searching...

Tired of it.. and use nose to shove it over...

Eat the biscuits...

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2007, 19:00:24 PM »
Leigh, I do all of those things plus not accepting weeknight invitations as I won't be home to get them in early, leaving parties early so I don't leave them alone too long, accepting that fur and shredded whatevers are normal floor fittings, you name it. No wonder I'm an old maid  :hug: :hug:

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2007, 18:57:03 PM »
Excellent thread! It's nice to sit here giggling after reading the moving, teary thread today in the bridge section.

Well most of what has already been said applies to me too, plus:

1) I spend most days wondering why I chose 2 dark coloured, furry kitties when I know I've got a paleish carpet and a severe hatred to hoovering, so now have to hoover alot more  :tired:!!!
2) never before had I actually seen a cat in real life walking along the curtain rail, clonking the curtain rings as she went, until the other night.
3) My neighbours have now been treated to my stupid, high pitched singing voice  :Crazy:, I'm sure I'm not the only one who makes up silly songs about their cats and sings to them "oh Polly Pocket you are so delicious, I could eat you all up, little Polly Polly Pocket, you are so sweet ..." come admit it, you all do it!!
4) I have discovered since signing them up for "Catbook", they actually have more friends than I do!
5) never before have I been saying "no", "get down", "not on there", "stop it" etc etc so much in one day
6) I never knew the endless amount of fun cat toys that can be purchased, along with having to take out a loan to buy them!! Whatever happened to a good old ball of string and a ping pong ball?
7) They are a fab excuse for not being able to go away to OH's parents for the weekend  :evillaugh:
8) My OH had never had any pets before Fergus and Polly, so it's always fun watching him with them  :Luv:
9) OH did actually say the other day I'm alot happier since we got the cats, which for me is what it's all about, how would we live without them hey???!!!

edited: why does the emoticon with the sunglasses come up where I've put the number 8???
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 19:00:36 PM by em1209 »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2007, 18:22:28 PM »
I got Old Mog literally months after I moved out of home. I can't remember life without them! Has to be said though, when I was younger I definately went out more. (I always bought cat food etc before doing so.) Now I seem to prefer watching a film curled up with my partner and however many of the cats want to sit on me! ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2007, 17:35:17 PM »
I'm a "new man" Licia, firmly in touch with my feminine side  ;D

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2007, 17:02:35 PM »
Now one instinctively knows when one's been in the company of cats for a while when one has names for such things. Alfie loves being brushed and I heard myself muttering under my breath the other night in the tone of voice that one frequently adopts when talking to babies "Ahhhhhhhhh Alfie-walfy loves his ickle-Alfie-brush, look at all this Alfie-walfy hair" etc. etc.  ;D :Crazy:

While that mothery quote did come from me, but you better admit it, I do see that you definitely have a doting mummy inside you too!!  :evillaugh:

BTW we did get the material to build a cat tree for Oliver... pretty soon our "buzzcat" will be buzzing away in full swing, he'd better appreciate what we will be doing!! ;D

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2007, 15:44:51 PM »
 ;D No you're not alone,

Okay folks, I've just lost my tenuous grip on reality, I've just seen a green-clad pixie waving a wand riding an eight foot tall fluffy reindeer around the shopping centre where I work, I'm off to lay down in a dark room  :Crazy:

Leigh

What worries me most is that one day I might have to start taking myself seriously  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 16:00:27 PM by LeighK »

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2007, 15:41:29 PM »
Mind you I often give names to inanimate objects, allow me to introduce you all  to "Bertie" the bamboo plant, "Freddie" the freezer and "Little  :censored: " the shower attachment  ;D

Glad it's not just me that does that lol, Dave thinks I'm potty. I gave his car a name (he's Oscar Octavia!) as I can't drive a car that doesn't have a name lol. We also have Sally the Snugglesafe amongst others lol.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2007, 15:38:52 PM »
I don't think my life changed at all until I got Boopy. I've always had cats so I have never known any different. As a child we went to the same place each year on holiday as we could take the cats with us and then we bought a static caravan so the cats could always come with us. I've only ever been on holiday abroad once when I was 11 as we didn't like to leave the cats in a cattery.
The only real change now I have Boopy is that I can't go away for more than 1 night at a time for 6-7 months a year and the other months of the year we have to make sure we are going on holiday somewhere that the cats can come too as most catteries won't board her but that's no hardship and I much prefer taking them with us anyway as otherwise I spend the whole time worrying and if they have to go to a cattery I make sure it's close to where we are staying and visit them every other day to make sure they are ok.

It's been a big change for my OH as he had never had pets until he met me and now he's had to get used to putting toilet seat down, doors closed, watching that no-one tries to escape out the back door, being careful with windows, cat run in the garden, litter trays, scratchposts, toys and things everywhere and not being able to take me away on holiday at a moments notice for 2 weeks. He's ever so good about it though and has been fab making the cats some rope toys, building them an outdoor scratchpost and he spent ages the other month levelling half the garden and slabbing part of it for the base of their new cat run. I think he secretly loves the fact that Bilbo thinks that he is the best person in the entire world.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2007, 15:31:09 PM »
Whewwwwwwwwwwwww that's a relief, I've been getting far too many "senior" moments recently  ;D

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2007, 15:26:49 PM »
1. no long weekends short trips away 2. Spent more on mary than i have myself 3. get up at silly hours 4. Flat is longer tidy 5. Hoovering , washing to br done when mary has her quiet time in bedroom. 6 Being az human maid to said cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2007, 15:23:08 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: The quote is actually from Dolcetta - no idea why it's come up as attributed to you! (unless the ghost of th forum knows something you don't?! :shocked: :rofl:)

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2007, 15:17:00 PM »
Either I just had another "senior" moment or I don't remember posting that  ;D ;D besides in my case it's biologically impossible  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 15:19:30 PM by LeighK »

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2007, 15:13:27 PM »
I have never, ever thought myself to be a doting mum type, or even to have much of a maternal instinct, but that hidden side of me have just come out in its full glory with my cats.  I would have never fancied having my own life turned upside down by some children in the house, but I find myself catering happily to the whim of my feline babies.  But I have a feeling only cats can get away with that, never a human child :naughty:

I agree entirely - hooman babies are OK (For other folks, not for me, thanks), but furbabies are just the best! ;D Besides, cats never ask for your money, they just allow you to realise there is no better way to spend it than on them :rofl:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 14:28:59 PM »
Thanks Dawn,  I'll look into it again when I get home, sounds just the ticket.

LOL Licia,

"suckcat" (a.k.a. hoover), "whipcat" (a.k.a. kitchen blender and food processor), and "buzzcat"(a.k.a. electric saw) child :naughty:

Now one instinctively knows when one's been in the company of cats for a while when one has names for such things. Alfie loves being brushed and I heard myself muttering under my breath the other night in the tone of voice that one frequently adopts when talking to babies "Ahhhhhhhhh Alfie-walfy loves his ickle-Alfie-brush, look at all this Alfie-walfy hair" etc. etc.  ;D :Crazy:

Mind you I often give names to inanimate objects, allow me to introduce you all  to "Bertie" the bamboo plant, "Freddie" the freezer and "Little  :censored: " the shower attachment  ;D

Cheers

Leigh

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 14:41:52 PM by LeighK »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 14:14:17 PM »
Yes always leave loo seat down, I forgot that too,,,,,,,,so scared they may fall in

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 14:10:02 PM »
I forgot having to re-arrange furniture in our snall living room to accommodate very large cat tree - but they do go onit, so it was worth it.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 13:44:02 PM »
Forgot another thing, particularly with Oliver... to keep the loo rid down at all times (whenever we remember to do so...), which we had never really bothered before, to keep him from getting inside!! :Crazy:
Ah yes! A real prob for my boyf - or it was, until one night Riley drank loo water and upchucked on his work boots ( :naughty: good boy, Riley! :rofl:)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 13:41:07 PM »
Forgot another thing, particularly with Oliver... to keep the loo rid down at all times (whenever we remember to do so...), which we had never really bothered before, to keep him from getting inside!! :Crazy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 13:34:43 PM »
Erm, I dont think my life changed much when I just had my two, I still had weekends away adn overnight stays (did have a housemate then though), but things have certainly changed since fostering, I do dislike being out too much now, and try not to be out too much in the evenings. I also get up earlier than I used to, and have sleeping issues now (although that might not be purely due to the cats!!). A lot of the things that have changed have been mentioned by other people - I do hoover though, regardless of what the cats think, although I have let bedchanging slip a few times due to struggling to get Molly off it!! I even re-arranged my spare bedroom for cats, and the bathroom occasionally has them in, so tray, post and bed live in there as standard now!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 13:33:04 PM »
I’ve got something to look forward to when I get home.

Cat Cuddles!

It’s the best thing and really makes my day. Course by the time I’ve sat down after fixing dinner etc they’ve all gone and left me ;)

I was resting my eyes last night while laying down with a book in hand and our Smoke came up and sat in the most awkward position on my arm and stayed there till I got up.

We don’t go out much (not that I ever did).
Holidays we get his parents to watch them, they phone daily to let us know that the cats are alright.
We can’t do anything without Lirael getting into it.

No glass of water or open paint is safe (we learned to keep the acrylics closed after chasing Lirael who was happily putting green pawprints on the floor).

You cannot leave a plate unattended this includes taking your eyes off it.

You cannot leave paper around unless you wish for it to be taste tested by Lirael.

We will never have expensive furniture because Lirael chews on anything wood based, plastic, cardboard, metal…. Well anything really.

When opening the door you must either shimmy into the hall or pick up Lirael if you’re on the other side. She likes to be there and great people and will walk outside if not attended.

Close the door, close it properly (an issue for my brother in law) unless you want cats outside or Lirael in a room with chewables.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 13:30:27 PM »
Well my life changed completely when my first cat arrib=ved and have just gone from bad to worse  :rofl: :rofl:

Hoovering as little as possibly cos they scared
Mealtimes.....they get to eat first even when I am starving
Toys every where.....if i trip over one more blooming mouse!
Front room is dominated by a giant cat tree
Cant get in frontdoor cos a big sctratching post blocks it opening properly
Car is full of fur from my clothes
Everywhere I go there is fur fur fur
I am being seriously bullied most of the time
I am a cat bed
I dont have a sofa cos the cats decided they wanted them
Dont have a desk cos its Misas
Dont have a bed cos the birmans think its theirs
If I leave my chair someone else takes it within seconds
Havent been on holiday for over 10years
Cant have visitors cos cats are scared or other people................and they wouldnt like all that fur!
Have boxes of boxes of cat food cluttering up the place from last cheap offer
Litter trays .......we wont talk about those
The cats all have place mats but are disgustingly messy eaters
The utility room is useless with a line of 8 bowls of food and two water bowls....................I am fed up of kicking over a water bowl
I respond fast to meows, squeaks, howling and rush to kitchen if the flap seems to be flapping more than it should
I get crowded with disapproving looks if I come home later than normal
Anxious cats will sit watching through the window if I go out to the car
Am known as the cat lady in my painting and drawing group..............probably mad but they havent said!

Life what is a life..................grovelling to the bully cats I think  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 13:13:47 PM »
I got told off by the owner of my local cafe one morning for all the white cat hairs on my brown fleece which made me look like I'd just been to a sheep shearing contest, he produced a roll of cellotape and handed it to me,  :censored: cheek  ;D

Come to think about it, it is rather funny, I feel a strange pride when people comment upon looking at the cathair stuck all over my dark coloured fleece "Oh, you have a kitty don't you?" :evillaugh:
We were rather nervous when we had to use our "suckcat" (a.k.a. hoover), "whipcat" (a.k.a. kitchen blender and food processor), and "buzzcat"(a.k.a. electric saw) as they scared him pretty badly in the beginning.  But he has grown to be quite indifferent to scary noises, if a bit annoyed, he continues to hang about to check out my activity while these "killers" are turned on! :)
I have never, ever thought myself to be a doting mum type, or even to have much of a maternal instinct, but that hidden side of me have just come out in its full glory with my cats.  I would have never fancied having my own life turned upside down by some children in the house, but I find myself catering happily to the whim of my feline babies.  But I have a feeling only cats can get away with that, never a human child :naughty:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 13:15:18 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 13:09:29 PM »
Oh Leigh that made me laugh  :rofl:

Yes that is the one - I got ours for only £70 on Amazon though!  :wow: I would have a look on there and link but I have to get back to work now - lunch over   :shify:

It has different levels for different length piles of carpet - and rugs  :evillaugh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
That's Brilliant  :thanks: Dawn, I have lots of rugs and their hair is a swine to get out with my hoover it just gets pushed into the rugs. I'll check this out right now. I could knit a jumper every week with the hair that my lot deposit around the flat.

:thanks: again for the info and my rugs asked me to pass on their  :Luv: too  ;D

Rugs have feelings too, a rug is for life not just for Christmas  ;D

Edit : Dawn is it this one ?

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=argos&catalogId=1500000701&params=adref%3DUpright+bagless+vacuum+cleaners&productId=1500056445&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FProductDisplay%3FstoreId%3D10001%26catalogId%3D1500000701%26productId%3D1500056445%26langId%3D-1&keyword=Electrolux+Velocity+Pet+Lover+Cyclonic+Upright+Cleaner&langId=-1&referrer=FG13P&engine=froogle&storeId=10001
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:45:43 PM by LeighK »

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »
I posted a really long message and it just got rid  :tired:

Basically I was going to say, Leigh, if you are interested in a pet hoover - the Electrolux Velocity pet hoover is fab  ;D it sort of pulls itself along the carpet with a special motor it has to automically turn the brushes. It collects so much cat hair off the carpet too we could make another kitty with it  :evillaugh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 12:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the tip Ruth,

Guess whose having eggs for his tea tonight ?  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »
Dawn you take the bottom half of the carton that has the egg cups. You put dry food in eac one and cover each one with a toy that makes it a bit difficult for them to get to the food, like ping pong balls etc, but not too easy.

Then you just let them try to fish out the food, by trying to find ways to get the toys out.  Lexy finally sussed if she got p'd off enough with it she would hit it and the food would fly out.. but hey.. it works. Keeps her entertained for ages!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 12:17:06 PM »
I am surrounded by furbabes and now live like one.....OH keeps protesting though, gosh you would think it the end of the world having to empty a litter tray  :evillaugh: :sick: ;)

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 12:16:27 PM »
Ruth I never really understood what I was suppose to do with the egg cartons to be honest

Leigh I bulk buy sticky rollers from costco!!!

I got some free with the cat tree i bought of ebay and ive been buying them ever since there extremely handy!

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 12:11:52 PM »
Dawn, I've got shares in Wilkinsons for all the sticky rollers I've bought but they never keep up with demand  ;D

I might try blasting them off with one of those high pressure hoses that aree used to clean cars  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:13:38 PM by LeighK »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 12:09:45 PM »
Ruth I never really understood what I was suppose to do with the egg cartons to be honest

Leigh I bulk buy sticky rollers from costco!!!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 12:07:01 PM »
mine is a loo roll pyramid with dry food inside that the have to find - not my invention but Vicky Halls supposed to mean they have to hunt for food!

Dawn the egg carton thing is a good one too. See... we are all mad

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 12:03:41 PM »
I got told off by the owner of my local cafe one morning for all the white cat hairs on my brown fleece which made me look like I'd just been to a sheep shearing contest, he produced a roll of cellotape and handed it to me,  :censored: cheek  ;D

I had a couple of those cat treat balls too but I think that Alfie must have launched them into orbit as I haven't been able to find either of them for months.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:08:26 PM by LeighK »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »
Vicky Halls is a goddess!

Link to CatChat