Author Topic: Firework,how concern are you?  (Read 8588 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: Firework,how concern are you?
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 09:07:24 AM »
I really think that fireworks are so pointless, they cause so many accidents and trouble (ie: last year a cat got a firework attached to it where I used to live  :( )

Fireworks should be left to professional displays and banned from being sold just so kids can throw them at each other and stick them through peoples letterboxes.

Gerti is terrified of the sound and last year she hid in a wardrobe when they started going off and would stay in there for hours if we didnt go and get her out and try to reassure her  :(

Hopefully this year wont be too bad where we are living, fingers crossed!
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »
I loath and detest them,

My cats are all indoors but, as Gillian says, it's not just one or two nights it's virtually two months of it. The boys are pretty good but it really terrorfies Suzie and she's been know to hide under the bed. I put the TV on in the bedroom to mask the noise a bit but it's not just a few pops and bangs it's a war out there with people letting off what sounds like heavy artillery. Last year, on the way to see my mum in her nursing home, I was on the bus and young kids were standing outside a nearby council estate throwing fireworks into the busy main road which runs past it. Fireworks aren't like they used to be when I was a kid, the most exciting thing then was the odd rocket, banger or suchlike but now things (and people) have gone mad and it seems like the average firework is packed with more gunpowder than Guy Fawkes could have ever dreamed about. It now seems a case of "We'll show all around us that we can afford to buy hand-made super fireworks, we've got the biggest bangs and the loudest flashes, let them beat that if they can !!" but they're all trying to out play each other at this game and thus it's sheer hell out there. It's not a simple innocent bit of childhood fun standing around in the garden with a few sparklers and a box of "regular" off-the-shelf fireworks it's a status symbol a case of "Look at us we've got so much money we can afford to watch it go up in smoke and so that nobody can miss it we'll make it VERY loud as well". IMO Fireworks night has gone the way of Christmas, it starts early, goes on for an eternity and for many people is just another excuse to show off and spend obscene amounts of money".

Anyone seen my soapbox, I know I left if somewhere  ;D

Regards

Leigh

PS. I'm sick of this Fireworks "Bling" attitude, I can hear people thinking "Now let's see how can we make absolutely sure that the neighbours don't miss our display of pretentious affluence ?, I know we'll not let them off on Fireworks night, we'll wait until 3AM the following Sunday morning and, just in case they miss THAT, we'll still have more munitions stored in our garden shed that the armed forces of a medium-sized Third World Nation so we can do it all again another night!.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:00:15 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 07:52:34 AM »
Mine aren't too bad and I do agree with bc to a certain extent - if you respond to a firework (and their reaction) they you are reinforcing the fact that it's something to be afraid of.  You can get a cd of firework sounds which is supposed to be very good at desensitising them to firework sounds.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 00:19:55 AM »
Persians are 8), . Thats what really upseting ,it seems even neighbours dont care  >:( ,we have the same situation here. i have tried rescue remedy , doesnt work for Phoebe or me ;), i remember a friend who used to get treatments for her cat from a homeopath called NELSON, i am going to findout if they have something to help?!  :thanks:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 23:47:05 PM »
Trouble is, like Gill said, its not just ONE day of the year now is it? starts few weeks before Nov 5th and just seems to go on till Christmas as far as I can make out!

I have to say - none of the persians care two hoots about the noise from fireworks, but my tabby mog George is scared to death, always has been. He crawls around almost on his tummy and is horrible to see him like that - I get so cross, because close neighbours have really loud fireworks - it sounds like World War 3 - and yet they have 2 cats themselves!!

Some people say that Rescue Remedy can work for cats scared of fireworks.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 22:46:43 PM »
As I stay in a Flat next to a busy road, I have never had to worry too much as they dont get outside, but that doesn't
stop the little  :censored: putting fireworks off, and it sounds as though it's right outside the window
so depending how bad it is, I'll iether put the tv volume up loud so's it kinda blocks out some of the Bangs
or if it starts to get really BAD I put Music on( even louder ) and go and do some house work
there's ALWAYS plenty of House work to be done round here ;)

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 22:14:18 PM »
I have to say my house is very calm, i dont panic or respond with fear but i am concerned when i see her so scared,i went and sat with her on both nights so she knows she is not alone,my other cat boy is sleeping and he is not bothered at all with the noise, but around our area every year is the same its so loud and it goes on for hours and what worries me is if i get home late from work how she is going to react :scared:,i make sure she is indoor for next few months early and i draw the curtains to see if it helps. :thanks:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 21:55:57 PM »
sorry dont agree with bc on this for cats cos cats and dogs are not the same.

in london it was very noisy from now until new year and kocka was fine except with the foreworks that hissed or very very loud bangs,
we used to draw curtains and put on tv and i would stay with her.

the main thing is to get them indoors when fireworks are going off so that they do not bolt in their fear and maybe get out on the road or lost.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 21:34:25 PM »
My dog used to be really terrified of fireworks. I would just turn the tv up to drown the noise out a bit. There have been quite a few round here already but the cats don't seem to even notice them.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 21:29:39 PM »
animals will respond to fear more if you make a fuss about trying to calm them down. You are rewarding undesirable behaviour. Shadow, when a puppy was terrified of thunder (which in Queensland is a lot louder and more sudden than any sort of fireworks) but he realised that neither I nor the cats were responding with a fear reaction and so he learned it was nothing to be afraid of. If you are concerned about how your cats will react then keep them indoors, away from windows if possible, and make sure you, and your household maintain a calm and peaceful demeanour. They will show a fear reaction but you will only reinforce that fear if you respond to it. Stay calm, talk to them in a calm voice and they will learn there is no reason for fear, as the rest of the household is not afraid.

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 21:27:08 PM »
I have always been concern when fireworks starts! Not only for the poor animals which get hurt out there but also for all the ones at homes or in cares?I ask people often if thier pets are scared or not bothered, ofcourse we all know to keep our cats indoor when the fireworks start, and it seems it has started in our area >:(, but what about if even inside they are terrifyed?? Phoebe is new in my house but i realized she is really scared few months ago when some people in our road was having a party and next i saw her runing down through the child gate narrow bars and going under the stairs hiding i went to her and she was shaking(The gate was to seperate her from boy untill she get used to him,i was told by rescue she doesnt like cats),and tonight when the noise started it really worry me that for next two months she is going to be terrify, right now she is hiding inside my wardrobe :(. I was wondering is the fireworks worse in london than other places and if your babes are scared how do you deal with it? Is there anything i can do to calm her and make it easier for her? I appreciate if anyone has any idea which helps :thanks:

I live on a council estate but supriseingly not that bad for fire works get the odd banger now and again but quiter than where i grew up typicall welsh valleys area.  Mary is nervy of any noise even those coming in and out of the main door so god help when if they start  :scared:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Firework,how concern are you?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 21:17:10 PM »
I have always been concern when fireworks starts! Not only for the poor animals which get hurt out there but also for all the ones at homes or in cares?I ask people often if thier pets are scared or not bothered, ofcourse we all know to keep our cats indoor when the fireworks start, and it seems it has started in our area >:(, but what about if even inside they are terrifyed?? Phoebe is new in my house but i realized she is really scared few months ago when some people in our road was having a party and next i saw her runing down through the child gate narrow bars and going under the stairs hiding i went to her and she was shaking(The gate was to seperate her from boy untill she get used to him,i was told by rescue she doesnt like cats),and tonight when the noise started it really worry me that for next two months she is going to be terrify, right now she is hiding inside my wardrobe :(. I was wondering is the fireworks worse in london than other places and if your babes are scared how do you deal with it? Is there anything i can do to calm her and make it easier for her? I appreciate if anyone has any idea which helps :thanks:

Link to CatChat