Author Topic: Firework,how concern are you?  (Read 8583 times)

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
Re: Firework,how concern are you?
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 18:30:17 PM »
My cat sits at the door waiting to be let out no matter what, there could be a catherine wheel on the other side of it and he'd still not notice. :Crazy:

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 18:21:56 PM »
I don't know how Mathers and Ronnie will react as they are both rescue cats and we only adopted them last November.  :scared:
With previous cats, I've obviously kept them in and turned up the stereo or tv to mask the explosions. Also kept all the lights on and made sure they're occupied by playing with them and feeding them their favourite food. Also, lots of fussing and attention!
Fireworks are a big problem though and as others have pointed out, don't just affect companion animals but also wildlife.   :(
Unfortunately, there are too many idiots out there who think it's fun to use fireworks as weapons against animals.  >:(
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 08:07:43 AM »
That is so sad Pete, RIP little ones.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2007, 20:12:02 PM »
I'm with Des. I hate fireworks. My cats fear them as do wildlife. I have pleaded with a friend, who is responsible, and heavily involved in a scouts bonfire, etc to ensure as far as he can that no wild animals have got into the bonfire stack e.g hedgehogs, etc.

I would ban the individual sale of fireworks but can see a case for properly run community events with qualified pyrotechnicians. These events need to be in the hands of trained people. It stops drunken idiots causing problems, it reduces the risk of injury to animals and children, it stops yobs causing injury. It also means that you are aware when the event is taking place so that you can keep your animals inside.

Unless you have very considerate neighbours who let you know when they are having a firework party it means, for those who let their cats out at night, you have no warning and the season gets longer and longer. Last year 2 cats that i know of were killed in my area by be allowed out and being run over as they both darted in front of cars as they were scared by the ever increasing loudness of the fireworks. Both motorists stopped and tried to locate the owners; both were cat owners and deeply upset. I found one owner.

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2007, 15:16:26 PM »
Just a quick tip Bonfire/fireworks nights are an excellent time to play with rustly carrier/paper bags, handles removed of course.
The noise is distracting and if it's a really rustly bag will drown out the fireworks   throw a toy in or dangle something over it

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2007, 13:57:51 PM »
Bilbo and Tigger really like fireworks so they loved Leicester as there were fireworks for the end of Ramadan, Diwali, Bonfire Night and New Year and they used to sit watching them out of the windows although they did get frightened when some  :censored: let off a few of those huge rockets right outside my flat at 3am last Bonfire Night. I thought a bomb had gone off at first the noise was that loud but I found the remains of the fireworks right outside the front door the next morning.

Miss Boopy has never experienced Bonfire Night before. She did experience some fireworks the other week and was terrified of them but she was outside at the time so hopefully she'll be ok on Bonfire Night as she'll be inside with me. Planning on having the tv up nice and loud and shutting most of the rooms in the house off to minimise noise coming into the house from outside (our hallway is in the middle of the house). No doubt Bilbo will object to being made to stay inside at night for a week but it's not worth the risk of letting him stay out.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2007, 12:37:39 PM »
I hate fireworks (used to use the animals as an excuse to stay in while everyone else went to the displays!!), and they have started round here already - Bella and Tiger just looked towards the window last night when they heard one. One year, my neighbours decided to let off a large amount of them at the end of the street despite the amount of animals that live on the street, Ginger was terrified (I didn't expect it of him, with livig so close to a main road for so long), and i ended up sitting on a cold floor for hours with him, wasn't polite to the neighbours over that!! Last year was odd with not having him hiding behind the sofa, although I think Tiger might have done it instead. Will be interesting to see how the newbies cope.
Please spay your cat

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 19:47:18 PM »
Bertie is absolutely terrified of fireworks.  In the main he's a big brave fierce tiger, but the mere suggestion of a firework results in hours of whimpering under the bed.  When he was a kitten we lived in a city centre where we had stupid kids outside the house throwing fireworks at each other - and at our cars and houses - the moment they went on sale.  I called the police numerous times and the effect on Bertie was terrible - after a display nearby on New Year's Eve, he came out from under the bed on Jan 2 and stopped shaking on Jan 4.  When I bought my current house I actually asked the previous owner if they had a lot of trouble with kids with fireworks - he must have thought I was mad!!  But last year was great - we heard nothing until Bonfire Night itself, so Bertie had only one night of torment instead of the weeks he endured in the old flat.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 22:00:40 PM »
I have nothing against firework & bonfire aslongas people are responsible and they dont harm any creatures, big or small ;). sorry Gwen did i use pet toomany times??  ;), i am talking general public ;)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 21:50:18 PM »
yeah, the parents need a good shaking. Back in Tasmania I was a member of the local volunteer fire brigage. We used to hold a community cracker night for the local kids. We built a big bonfire and had the fire trucks around to deal with sparks (remember it is coming on summer over there) and we would invite everyone. We had a special area set aside for the pretty fireworks and another for the big bangs and families were invited to come along. I was on gate duty one cracker night and a car pulled up and about ten kids piled out, each clutching a big plastic bag of crackers and then it became apparent that the adults were about to drive off. I read the riot act to them so they got out and parked the car, but they snuck off later, leaving the kids - I can not imagine what sort of parent would do that!! I was gob-smacked >:(

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 21:44:18 PM »
I've also got lots of happy memories from when I was little but the trouble is that the world isn't the same kind of a place anymore - rockets, sparklers and the like just aren't popular any more - people want the air-bombs they buy to be able to drown out a 747!

Also, generally speaking, it now seems to be thought of as ok for parents to allow kids out unsupervised with bangers etc. Why is beyond me.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 21:45:26 PM by lilycat »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 21:42:35 PM »
like I said, the fireworks are not the problem - it is the people. Although I agree that times have changed... better controls over who gets their hands on them is preferable to a total ban for private use.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 21:40:22 PM »
I think that you have to take your post in context bc and how many years ago are we talking about and it wasnt in the UK was it?

When I was young we had small fireworks in our garden but times have changed and I do not think its acceptable now and also the fireworks that the kids want are not small they want noise, noise and more noise.

Also you didnt have the amount of yobs in the street with nothing better to do than cause trouble.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 21:38:56 PM »
Always said they were boring old farts living down south Gill,you need to move up here where we party 24 7 :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 21:35:39 PM »
mmmmmmm, can I be provocative here? When I was a child I lived in the country by the side of a river. Every cracker night we would have ourselves and several families there. It was the best night of the year. We would build a huge bonfire on the edge of the bank (terribly un-PC these days) and each family would bring food and crackers and as it got darker we would light the bonfire. Then the grown-ups would range empty beer bottles along the top of the bank and let off the skyrockets. After that, we kids would each be given a selection of crackers in a closeable box. We were allowed to let them off and have a wonderful time doing so. Although one night a boy who shall remain nameless dropped a string of bungers off down my wellington leg, but as we were all dressed in thick woolen sox and sensible clothes it was not a problem (apart from the fright). After we would eat huge quantities of food and Mr Woodward would walk along the top of the bank playing his bagpipes. In the morning my sister and I would go out and collect all the squibs and break them in half and pour the gunpowder into sunshine powdered milk cans and blow them up.

It was great and everyone had a good time and it was a happy, healthy evening's outing for all.

I often hear people on this site complaining about the animals being blamed for human stupidity. The same applies to fireworks. In a good disciplined family environment they are great fun and no-one gets hurt.

I still enjoy buying a small box of crackers for guy fawkes.

PS Our animals were always kept safe inside while this was going on.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 21:32:33 PM »
In london we had a big asian community and the fireworks at this time were theirs.

Come and live near me cos we dont get any not even on the 5th Nov  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 21:30:39 PM »
They have started with fireworks around here tonight :censored: :censored:

I don't mind it on the actual nights november 5th and halloween being noisy etc but the time leading up and after is out of order in my book and I think there should be a law against putting fireworks off unless theres an awareness that theres something going to be on etc so that we with pets can be warned and at least have the chance to put our pets in so they are safe and sound :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 21:27:42 PM »
In organised displays fireworks can be ok, but I don't think they should be sold to joe public like they are now - 'fireworks' makes them sound pretty harmless but, ultimately, they're explosives and should be regulated as such.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 21:21:46 PM »
I think the reason they reported is for people to keep thier pets in, sometimes if people think thier pets are not scared of firework then they leave them out, and may be those two were not stray and belonged to someone who was local?? So i  think they should inform thepublic and prosecute the  :censored:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 21:05:41 PM »
frankly I would rather they did not report things like that as all it does is make more morons go out and try to top the cruelty. Better they prosecute, than report.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 21:04:12 PM »
Yes i agree if they manage to hide its great ,but last year there was two incident which they even reported it on news, one was in east london which a cat was thrown in bonfire by some  :censored: which RSPCA was called,and the other one was a young cat was badly burned by firework :( , how  :sick: is that?? They managed to save the second one..but howmany more that you dont hear about??

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 20:24:32 PM »
I really think that fireworks are so pointless, they cause so many accidents and trouble (ie: last year a cat got a firework attached to it where I used to live  :( )

That is so so sick  :censored: poor cat

Fireworks should be left to professional displays and banned from being sold just so kids can throw them at each other and stick them through peoples letterboxes.

I totallt agree too.

Its not even as if they only last untill Xmas. Its New Year too. Then there are weddings, BBQ's in the garden during the daytime even ive seen.. its ludicrous.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 19:53:42 PM »
I think cats are scared for a reason and that if they are caught outside they will hopefully hide it out and that could save their lives.

I think if you have a cat who is scared they should be comforted and why not. You would protect them from other things and comfort them if they rushed back in scared so why not because of fireworks.

I think the sale of fireworks should be totally banned and they should only be used in controlled displays, by the way I just love big firework displays although I am uncomfortable about the cost, It used to be £1000 a minute  :(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 18:55:39 PM »
The feliway plug is in use at all times ,but i dont think it helps when the loudbangs?? Her little face last night   :scared: looking at me? And the reall firework hasnt started yet? I am going to try and do what i can, but do you think the ones out there , ever get use to the noise and bangs &lights? I dont think so from my experiance with the feral MRTRAMP,so i am not sure buying CD for them to listen ,helps to get used to the noise?

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 18:31:06 PM »
The thing I hate most about fireworks is the kids who set them off in the street and otherwise brandish them about irresponsibly.  They're not even supposed to have them, by law.  I agree with those that say that privately-owned/used fireworks should be banned, and only organised firework displays permitted.

I am lucky, in that my three are fascinated, and are quite used to fireworks as Bristol has 'official' fireworks displays every week during the summer, and at other events, and we can see them all from my bedroom window.  My cats like to sit on the windowsill and watch the pretty sparklies in the sky!  However, it must be horrific for the animals who are terrified of them :(  and I do worry about cats out and about at this time of year, especially at night.  I will be keeping my three in, day and night, for several days over the firework night period.  Not that they'll thank me, but hey!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 16:20:27 PM »
You could try a feliway plug in starting now and add rescue remedy to the water bowls.
For mine i have plenty of hidey boxes, the curtains shut and lights on so they cant see any flashes.

My rabbit loved fireworks and would sit up on his back legs on the highest tunnel in his run and stare all evening  :rofl:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 12:48:04 PM »
Fortunately our rescue kitties have a radio but I think I'm going to see if I can spend the evening there, at least on bonfire Friday/Saturday. Maybe get a few volunteers to join me. There's a huge field behind so there's bound to be some fireworks near by.

Hang on, take a couple of Thermos' worth of soup or some hot jacket potatoes, a bowl of Chilli, charge volunteers a quid and have a party! Hmmmm.....helping the kitties and raising money, that's got to be worth a shot!  ;D

I know it only helps a few but it's all we can do with all the yobs around  >:(
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 12:35:28 PM »
 :ooops: Did it again :),my reply is with Gail in quote part!!! :sorry:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 12:28:22 PM »
I hate them, and fear for cats that have no home or that are thrown out because it is night time.  I think they should be banned. Horrid nasty things, if used correctly they can be nice and colourful, but 90% are misused by youths who think its fun to scare animals and people.
I agree with you %100,they should be banned to public and few nights of the year they choose places like by the thames or ...?and let the profesional use them for public to enjoy. Ok lets say we keep our cats indoor and turn the TV up and draw the curtains but what about the strayes and ferals ?? And the ones in rescues on thier own, who is going to protect them?

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 12:04:19 PM »
I hate them, and fear for cats that have no home or that are thrown out because it is night time.  I think they should be banned. Horrid nasty things, if used correctly they can be nice and colourful, but 90% are misused by youths who think its fun to scare animals and people.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »
My dog goes psycho round the house like a shivering wreck  :(

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4068.0#bot

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
This year we're having a bonfire party for the local folk, no fireworks though.

Good morning Carl,

How's life at the Manour House ?, good to see that the local Squire is upholding the time-honoured tradition of looking after the local folks :) :)

Cheers

Leigh

:rofl: Me? A squire? I'm a serf if ever there was one! We live in a barn on a farm, and do stuff like this with the other people that live in the other little barns because there's a big field out back. I'm knocking up a chilli in a massive pot  ;D

Yeah right !!! :) :)

:wow: Nice "Barn" by the way   8) 8)

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:58:56 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »

Good morning Carl,

How's life at the Manour House ?, good to see that the local Squire is upholding the time-honoured tradition of looking after the local folks :) :)

Cheers

Leigh

;D

:rofl: Me? A squire? I'm a serf if ever there was one! We live in a barn on a farm, and do stuff like this with the other people that live in the other little barns because there's a big field out back. I'm knocking up a chilli in a massive pot  ;D
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 10:32:11 AM »
Like eeryone has said you just never know when to expect the fireworks to start now and as they were banned in NI for years (sound too much like bombs) they are quite a novelty here yet so people can go bit overboard. Normally for halloween and when I lived in England for Bonfire Night I would have brought the cats in really early. However, last year I got caught out with fireworks going off near me on a night I didn't expect them. I went out looking for the cats as they hadn't appeared yet - they came as usual when I called them and I was very surprised that they did not seem in the least annoyed by them. They curled up inside for a snooze and didn't flinch. It especially surprised me about Bronte as she is petrified of loud noises. Heidi and Huxley are nervous so I need to be extra vigilant with them. Just hoping that Bronte and Dino can be calming  influence on them.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 10:24:31 AM »

Good morning Carl,

Cheers

Leigh

;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:25:13 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »
I will probably be just as scared as Leo ! I hate really loud noises.. fireworks, Large machinery also scare the pants of me..

They always start & finish way before & way after  firwrok night aswell.. drives me potty !

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 10:07:46 AM »
I'm against fireworks m'self, you might as well take a twenty pound note out of your pocket (not that I can remember what they're like since I got married) and set fire to it for all the use they are.

However, last year the farm across the lane had some last year and Bilbo and Baggins sat at the window fascinated. I could hear the 'ooohs' and 'aaahs' from 'em  :evillaugh: They weren't remotely disturbed or scared.

From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 10:00:57 AM »
I'm actually pleasantly surprised that they've not started up around here yet.  I agree that it would't be so bad if it was just one or 2 nights.  But they go on for weeks. 

Offline No Name

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 09:35:49 AM »
I absolutely hate the lead up to, and the weeks after this horrible night.

The bangers sound like bombs going off and scare me to death.

years ago I had a cat escape on bonfire night and I never saw her ever again.

My dad was a firefighter all his working life and he used to dread this night too, he saw many horrific scenes of injury to young children but on this night he saw more than ever.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 09:36:29 AM by ickle »

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 09:21:03 AM »
I completely agree, Dawn. I love professional firework displays and bonfire night itself doesn't seem to bother Josh too much (it's Smokey's first year with us so I'm not sure yet with him...).

Unfortunately I have some Yuppie millionaires living right behind me who seem to have a stupid display everytime someone has a birthday or opens the mail or anything  >:(. Thing is, the fireworks are rubbish but very close and very loud and at random times so I don't get chance to put the telly on loud and the big light on in the living room (which is my bonfire-season routine). It's so annoying and there are loads of cats around. The amount of dead fireworks I clear from my garden is silly, I'm glad I have house cats.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Link to CatChat