Author Topic: Quorn: Ok to feed to cats?  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: Quorn: Ok to feed to cats?
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 13:07:10 PM »
 :rofl: I do the same Ruth, everytime they see me eating they must think "wow! something to eat, can I have some?" and ignore my "nooo not kitty food! not for cats" etc but after they get a sniff they change their mind (and then look at me like "is that it?")  ;D

They were obsessed with the idea of Quorn before, but I tried giving them a piece and there was no fooling them - Cheese looked at me like "you must be kidding"  :rofl:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:15:07 PM »
Thanks for that Sir.

I think it was a passing wonder, the vivid interest waned slightly as the evening progressed and Lexy shows no interest. This I am pleased with. I often have conversations with Lexy about human food.  I tell her no, she looks at me like I'm a meany, I tell her no again, then she watches me eat with the puss in boots eyes.... i dip my finger in whatever it is I'm eating, let her sniff it and she makes a decision as to whether or not she will like it.  Usually, unless its spinach and the odd sized rationed portion of Dairlylea, Lexy agrees with my verdict that if I won't eat her food, she shouldn't eat mine  :evillaugh:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »
I didn't know about mushrooms either but I never eat anything with onions in. They smell lovely but meowmy says they can cause/affect anaemia (can't remember which).

We had a lovely kitty called "hope" who we lost last year (before they brought me home so I never met her). She is meowmy's inspiration for doing work with rescues. She had renal failure and never responded to treatment. It was a bad few months and meowmy spent every available minute on the internet trying to find advice and support (sadly she didn't know about purrs back then).

She found lots of eye opening things about plants and seemingly harmless foods that can be deadly.

As a result, the only treats Josh and I have are meat and fish to be on the safe side. I'm allowed a little cheese on occasion and p.i.l.l.s are given to us using only beef paste or "Mum's Own" babyfood.

I think she's paranoid and I'm sure that most things are harmless in small doses, but it's better to be safe.

Shame really, meowmy loves quorn!  ;)
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 20:17:28 PM »
Remember good old Jess Yates - the Bishop? He was caught doing naughty things with young ladies in dubious circumstances and ended his career is disgrace.

as the actress said to the bishop?? :rofl:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 20:15:33 PM »
Yes, Mark..  :evillaugh:

Stars on Sunday was so, so depressing...  :Crazy: :rofl:

Remember good old Jess Yates - the Bishop? He was caught doing naughty things with young ladies in dubious circumstances and ended his career is disgrace. Not like his daughter, Paula, then....  :shify:

I never knew mushrooms upset cat's tummys. Jumpy nicks the odd fried mushroom off the plate when I'm not looking and it's never upset him. Still, he's always been a bit of a swine with food - eats all the wrong stuff and won't touch healthy things at all.  :-:

But as was said, it's probably more to do with the herbs and additives in the stuff that's attracting Lexy rather than the smell of processed veg.  :sneaky:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 20:07:44 PM »
if it is mushroom-based then I would definitely not give it to cats (or dogs)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 20:06:01 PM »

I think quorn is made from mushrooms isnt it?

Yes it is made from fungus - I would guess it would give Lexy an upset tum at the least and probably to be avoided
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 20:01:30 PM »

I wish she shows as much interest in her dry food as she does human food!!

Think she try to tell you something maybe?!!  :evillaugh:

I think maybe its the spices in the quorn products you bought - mine seem to like the smell of spicey cooking, and they will clean my plate off after I've eaten curry! I spilt some paprika spice once and Sam went mad for it, was similar to the reaction to catnip  :doh:

I think quorn is made from mushrooms isnt it?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 20:00:09 PM »

He lived to the age of 16 and Mum cooked a fruit cake every Sunday, which they shared while watching Stars on Sunday.  :)

I had a bolt of nostalgia reading that line  :Crazy:

My mum always made a cake on Sunday - her fruitcake had a lovely burnt crust on it (not sure if its meant to  :evillaugh:). And her apple sponge was the best  :drool;
I don't remember the cat having any though  :evillaugh:
Sad thing is, she doesn't make any of that stuff now and makes stirfries and eats go-ahead biscuits  :(

Oh and as for Stars on Sunday, wasn't that the most depressing thing ever? -also a reminder we had school in the morning  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 20:02:29 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 19:57:33 PM »
well, that's a relief, but we still need to know what goes into it before we can advise if it is has something in it harmful to cats...

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 19:55:44 PM »
We had a cat that used to go seriously nuts if he ever got near my Mum's fruit cake. We had to stop him from pinching it several times because it had just come out the oven and he'd have burned himself.  :Crazy: :evillaugh:

He lived to the age of 16 and Mum cooked a fruit cake every Sunday, which they shared while watching Stars on Sunday.  :)

I can't see what harm it'll do giving Lexy a little bit if it satisfies his curiousity.  :sneaky:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 19:41:06 PM »
I meant as a treat  ;) now and again rather than as a substitute.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 19:40:23 PM »
don't know what the ingredients are so hard to say. But I would strongly advise against using it as a food substitute for the cats. They get very ill indeed if on a vegetarian diet.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Quorn: Ok to feed to cats?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 19:27:12 PM »
Well, I had stopped eating chicken a couple years ago, and about 2 months ago moved away from meat and am sticking to fish. I have to be honest.. love the taste of lamb etc but just needed to make the decision one way or another. Am feeling very healthy for it  :)

However, there is only so much fish I can eat before I get tired of dreaming up new recipes.  I bought a small range of Quorn to keep in the fridge and give me some variety. Lexy seems very interested in the faux chicken and faux cumberland sausages  :-: This normal?  And is there anything in there that anyone knows is not good for cats?

I wish she shows as much interest in her dry food as she does human food!!

Link to CatChat