Author Topic: Good news re fur trade  (Read 9061 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Good news re fur trade
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 22:54:03 PM »
This ban is from 2009!!  >:(

Why the hell can't they make it as from now?

How many 1000's of animals will have to be brutally skinned alive between now & then  :( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070619/tsc-eu-animals-fur-c2ff8aa.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 22:55:05 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 18:04:40 PM »
I absolutely agree - countries such as China must be made to stop this unnecessary suffering. BUT we must also remember that even in the UK, there are lots of animals living in unacceptable conditions. Even within the relatively affluent countries of the EU, animal welfare laws desperately need to be made stricter. Farm animals are allowed to live in unacceptable conditions, without access to the outside. They are often transported in disgusting ways, and when they are to be slaughtered they are pushed, shoved and stressed until they are in a complete panic. This is no way for an animal, or any being, to be treated.  >:(

Don't get me wrong - I think mistreating animals is disgusting and absolutely unacceptable. But we need to remember that countries such as China have a wide range of other problems to battle: poverty, illiteracy, gender discrimination, human rights violations and so on. This is NOT an excuse. But I think it is part of an explanation. And lets not forget that products such as fur are often made for the benefit of people in wealthy countries, i.e. us. If there was no demand, there would be no supply. So we need to focus our attentions on the consumers, as much as the producers.

I hope people don't misunderstand what I'm saying, and send me hate mail...  :rofl: I do not condone any form of cruelty whether to animals or people (with the possible exception of sex offenders and people guilty of animal cruelty...). But in my old age, I am trying to learn to be compassionate towards people - although compassion towards animals is a lot easier...  :rofl:

Sometimes pure boycots work, but only if there are other job opportunities for the people. The Snow Leopard Trust recognise this; concerned about dwindling  numbers of snow leopards in Central Asia, they developed partnerships with local communities to stop hunting of the leopards. In return for help & support with local business opportunities etc, the locals stick to conservation guidelines to safeguard the snow leopard and its habitat.  :wow:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 17:05:44 PM »
the cats were terrible distressed, well as were the dogs but all of them had pupils bulging and ears flat..sheer panic.  They are packed into things like lobster pot crates and they had some many in one a guy had to stomp on the lid to shut it  >:(

it was the dogs that got me though..about 10 plus dogs cramped into a crate big enough for one normal sized dog..they cant even bite each other coz theres no room to open their mouths, and one poor dog was pinned against the side and looked like his eye would be lost as it was totally rubbed and pushed into the damned crate (had he been rescued)

THe people who work with this type of thing..i understand they see animals entirely differnently to us but dont any of them feel a twinge of anything when they are being so cruel. these crates full of the animals stacked into hundreds of crates on a lorry..they get thrown from top of lorry onto the floor when unloading..how could they, how many died anyway before being slaughted.  Does china have a king ? if he were shown this videos wouldnt he feel complelled to stop it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 17:05:01 PM »
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 17:05:35 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 16:53:29 PM »
I agree Mark, these things have to be acknowledged. I think the thing that upsets me is that when you see animals hurt, mistreated etc etc they have no concept of why thats happening to them. They are innocent. Just makes it so much worse in my eyes.

Humans hurt other humans - thats just how it seems to be. But what gives them the right to hurt other species needlessly?

The most upsetting video I saw (had to switch off) was a cage full of cats awaiting their fate and one cat was washing another, trying to reasuure it (this has made me cry again)

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 16:47:22 PM »
I agree Mark, these things have to be acknowledged. I think the thing that upsets me is that when you see animals hurt, mistreated etc etc they have no concept of why thats happening to them. They are innocent. Just makes it so much worse in my eyes.

Humans hurt other humans - thats just how it seems to be. But what gives them the right to hurt other species needlessly?
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 16:42:52 PM »

I've seen some bad, bad things in my life, but I know I couldn't watch any of the videos you've linked to. It may be cowardly but I know they'd haunt me for a good while.
[/quote]

I can understand people not wanting to watch them. I had to stop 1/2 way through as it is so upsetting. You feel so helpless and have to remind yourself that it isn't a gory horror film, its real events happening to real animals. I just had a bit of an argument with my mum. She said that people shouldn't talk about stuff like that - I told her these things have to be faced otherwise petitions don't get signed and governments don't get forced into taking action. I know there is a long way to go. I really think China should be told they can't host the olympics until they clean up their act. They won't allow Turkey into the EU until it improves so why can't they do they same to China - MONEY - thats all there is to it  >:(
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 16:43:30 PM by Mark »

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 16:05:34 PM »
oh no i didnt know that..surely not i thought madonna was a vegetarian buddist type person  :Crazy:

(ok off to find and protect cody...me no like the thought of wearing soft and curly fur  :shify: )

Madonna is an egotistical hipocrite. I hope she chokes on her own vomit.

I couldn't have put it better myself Mark.

I've seen some bad, bad things in my life, but I know I couldn't watch any of the videos you've linked to. It may be cowardly but I know they'd haunt me for a good while.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 16:01:20 PM »
oh no i didnt know that..surely not i thought madonna was a vegetarian buddist type person  :Crazy:

(ok off to find and protect cody...me no like the thought of wearing soft and curly fur  :shify: )

Madonna is an egotistical hipocrite. I hope she chokes on her own vomit.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 15:57:56 PM »
About time too
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 15:17:52 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

I watched it, i have seen before but the way they are transporting and throwing the crates around, i just cant bear it  :'(

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 14:42:17 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:20:53 PM »
I can't remember the name of the animal, but they said coat Madonna was wearing was made from 40 unborn calves that were taken from the mother before birth as the fur os soft and curly at that stage. After they are born, the fur straightens out and isn't worth as much  :(

If you can bear it, look at www.furisdead.com

The video shows cats & dogs being brutally killed. They said that many of the cats have collars on which proves that they were once companion animals. There are no laws against this in China. I am even going to stop ordering from my local chinese now as some of their food no doubt comes from there. I know this isn't much in the scheme of things but I wish more people would commit and it would stop. This is the most sickening thing I have ever seen. They should be so ashamed  for what they have done and are still doing to these poor animals. http://www.furisdead.com/feat-trentreznor.asp

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=

http://www.furisdead.com/feat-karakul.asp

http://www.avdmv.com/general/Mao/stopcruaute_bestanden/baby-lamb.jpg

Edit - they are unborn karakul lambs
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:40:39 PM by Mark »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 12:03:25 PM »
just came on to have a  check before i head out the door and was basicaly going to say exactly what mark said re leather etc being a by product from the food chain.

Mark what was your last comment about ?  what animals are being cut open and young removed ?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 11:15:52 AM »
I understand what you are saying. No animal has any more or less rights than another, the fur looks better on the animals. Like you, as a meat eater, if they can prove by certification that the fur or leather is a byproduct of slaughter for meat that has been humanely slaughtered, that is a whole different argument. What I strongly object to, is those evil monsters who shackle animals up and hack their skin off whilst they are still alive. Mothers that have their bellies ripped open and their unborn babies skinned alive so evil witches like madonna can show off their wealth.  >:(

As you say, any step in the right direction is worth celebrating.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:17:25 AM by Mark »

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
Good news, of course - any step in the right direction is worth celebrating!  ;D

But I feel a bit sad that it's almost implied that it's more ok with furs from other animals than cats and dogs. And surely that's not the case?!  :( Other animals are made to suffer just as much, and for what? So that people can walk around wearing their pelts. (And seriously - I just can't see the attraction! People wearing fur just look silly!)

I am not a vegan or vegetarian, and so I can't claim to have an objection in principle to the killing of animals. But I do think it's absolutely imperative that whenever an animal is killed by a human, for whatever reason, it is done in a humane way. Grrr... I'm just getting angry now!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
great news but i now am physically wretching and feel sick to the bottom of my stomach watching the video. Ive seen the slaughter and skinning of artic foxes and things so not sure why i feel so bad..to early in the morning i think.

that poor bloody dog wagging its tail before the started butchering it alive  :'(

There is a link on the caft website with an unedited version of the Sky video with sound - its appalling.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:54:06 AM »
on that video clip mark did you notice the cat type ornament (looks like a cat curled up sleeping)  my granny had one of those and we all presumed it was rabbit fur as thats what it felt like..i am seriously suspicious now  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 08:52:49 AM »
The Phillippines is another offender

There is a lot of info on here

http://www.caft.org.uk/factsheets/cats-and-dogs.html

It seems a lot of trinkets like keyrings are labelled as fake fur but are car or rabbit fur  :( - They say the best thing is mnot to buy unless you are 100% sure.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 08:40:09 AM »
avoiding chinese products is practically impossible i think nowadays...they just make EVERYTHING over there.

Are the likes of japan etc definately not involved with this ?

I agree in principle entirely but they have taken over the world as far as exporting and the amount of things in this house alone that will say "made in china" is shocking (something that has concerned me for a while now)

what about tiwan etc..lot of clothes etc have that made in label ?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 08:34:56 AM »
Stockpiles of up to 100,000 cat furs!!  >:(

I for one will not be buying any chinese products until I hear of a complete ban. We have to be especially careful buying electrical products. We are buying our large screen TV this week and I will make sure it is made in Japan or elsewhere!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:31:45 AM »
Its heartbreaking Lynn, these "people" don't deserve to live. Its not a cultural thing, its pure greed and heartlessness. How they can sleep at night is beyond me. I really hope there is such a thing as Karma and they pay for their sins.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:26:16 AM »
great news but i now am physically wretching and feel sick to the bottom of my stomach watching the video. Ive seen the slaughter and skinning of artic foxes and things so not sure why i feel so bad..to early in the morning i think.

that poor bloody dog wagging its tail before the started butchering it alive  :'(

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:24:09 AM »
About bloody well time...hopefully it'll go global next.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Good news re fur trade
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:20:21 AM »
At last some good news  ;D

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1271116,00.html

The video is disturbing  :'(
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:23:08 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat