Author Topic: microchipping kitten  (Read 7963 times)

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
Re: microchipping kitten
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 13:48:53 PM »
Loki was chipped when he had his 2nd jabs so he would have been about 12 weeks old.  He was so tiny and the needle huge :Crazy:.  I nearly fainted but he didnt even flinch :rofl:.  I think Daves right its the humans that are worried not the cats.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 13:47:11 PM »
I would advise getting them microchipped when they are being spayed/neutered as well as long as you don't let them out in the meantime.  I was looking at some RSPCA chips the other day, and the needle they use for the microchipping is a lot bigger than what my vets use so you have to bear in mind, all needles are not the same size and it must hurt on a small kitten but then again, I hate needles full stop  :sick:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 13:45:45 PM »
That needle seems to upset people more than the cats! It makes a horrible noise, like sewing leather, so we let our imagination tell us it must hurt, but my lot didn't even flinch!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 13:41:39 PM »
The nicest time to get her chipped is when she is being spayed (as she will be asleep)

However, having said that i got the last 2 of mine chipped the other day and they didnt flinch abit (they arnt kittens though)

Have a word with the vet when he does the vaccines

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
microchipping kitten
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 13:34:54 PM »
Hi there, we are off to the vets later to start the vax course and have a check up.  My vet includes in the price of the kitten vaccination course a free microchip at the moment.  What age is okay to have a chip, Ive had foster dogs and my own dogs chipped in the past and the needle seems humungous for a tiny kitten to me.   I was thinking of putting it off, she is 11 weeks old and quite little for her age, Im actually wondering if she is younger, but will ask the vet when Im there.  I would like to hear your views though so I am prepared.

Link to CatChat