Author Topic: microchipping kitten  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: microchipping kitten
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 16:27:06 PM »
Yvonne have you got any dog groomers around your way? They can often do it  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 16:24:16 PM »
no goatboy thats the chip you can feel, codys moved down to the top of his leg aswell, no worries though.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 16:22:25 PM »
My Vet charges £40 to microchip - after reading some of the magnificent bargains on here it does make one feel a bit miffed.  But it has to be done I suppose  :(
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 18:58:13 PM »
Ive noticed that Ozzy's chip has moved down to her right leg. Feels like a grain of rice, or is that just me freaking out?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2007, 17:36:47 PM »
Hopefully that will put your mind at rest. I havent heard of any comming out weeks later as the hole heals up, just the first day or so.

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 17:01:43 PM »
I hadnt read that thread before, so thanks for the link, thats very interesting.  Im glad I was stroking her whilst chatting or I might never of known that the chip had come out straight away!   I will make sure I have the chip checked whenever we are at the vets.  Its only a month or so until we are in for neutering so I will definitely ask them to run the scanner over her to double check.  thankyou  :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 12:07:46 PM »
Have you seen this post? http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=5353.msg83045#msg83045

I can feel one of my boys chips, he is a skinny thing and its down his shoulder too. It hasnt moved yet and has been there nearly a year.
I just keep an eye on it and get it scanned regularly  ;D

Its disturbing how many cases i read of this happening, how many cats are believed chipped when in fact they have fallen out at home   :shify:  i think all vets should scan at each visit to check its still working ok. It puts my mind at rest.

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 09:53:51 AM »
I took kitty back for her second vax last night and we had the chipping done then.  She didnt react at all, but.. as I was stroking her afterwards  whilst talking to the vet I felt something move against my fingers and there was the chip!!   the vet said it had not happened to her before and she felt that it came out as she withdrew the machine - so poor kitty had to have another one inserted.  Again she didnt flinch at all.  The chip showed up on the scanner just fine.  I was a bit concerned though that I could feel it last night when we got home, and it was much futher down that I expected it to be, way past the shoulder blades.  Is that normal?  When I have taken foster dogs for chipping its gone just at the shoulder blades.  The vet did her vaccination further down because she said she was going to chip at the shoulder blades, and as I held her the vet inserted the chip in that area, although after the first attempt came out, she re chipped with a new chip and then sort of pullled kitty's skin up along her back to make sure it went in properly.  She is now 14 weeks old as far as we know.  Is it normal to be able to feel it at first?  :scared:

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 09:37:35 AM »
Top site as well.
Will have to join when I get paid. (This cat is costing me a fortune lol)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2007, 16:44:34 PM »
goatboy heres the link for catproofing  :)

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4802.0

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
Even if they couldnt get pregnant, at that age they have no sense of direction and can easily get lost  :(

Im glad Oz is being kept away from the dirty toms

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 09:50:58 AM »
Thats it I am putting her on the pill till she can get spayed.  :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 08:19:49 AM »
i would start ringing round vets now to see what age they will do it at - CP are now recommending 3/4 months because of them coming into season younger - my vet has seen farm cats pregnant at 3/4mo, we have had 8mo come in with kittens, so must have got pregnant at 5-6mo. Good luck with her.
Please spay your cat

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 17:18:14 PM »
I am very lucky I live on a cul-de-sac that is very quiet, no fast cars.

Like the idea of the fencing though, there are a few places I would patch up.
Thanks again, you may have saved me the stress and turning my hair even more grey.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 17:08:53 PM »
well done. she might not like it..even my indoor boy has been naughty trying to get out the door but its for their own good, not too long before she can get out after her op.

have you heard or thought about securacat proof fencing, you can actually secure your garden to prevent her being able to escape or the likes of me that isnt poosible so my boys have a run they get out too..a comprimise but i am beside an extremely busy 60mph + road.

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 17:02:33 PM »
Thanks Lynn,
She is staying in tomorrow, not letting the local toms get their filthy paws on my kitten. She is too precious.
She is my little baby lol

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 16:52:20 PM »
dont worry lots of people are under the same impression, this is first and formost a site to help rescues and homeless etc so we see on a regular basis the rescuers posting in about kittens having kittens and so many who dont have homes as it is.

Whilst some vets still dont neuter before 6 months others will so discuss it and see what their policy is, this time of year for a kitten her age it would be quite normal for them to come into season early as the spring summer seasons brings it on quicker.

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 16:49:20 PM »
Oh god never thought of that. I will get onto the vets asap....
Don't want to sound like a total muppet but I thought they could only come into season after 6 months. There is no way I want a litter of kittens.
One is enough to deal with  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 16:38:00 PM »
so is she going to be getting out before she is spayed then ?  (bearing in mind there has been cats about 4 mnths old give birth which would mean they came into season 8-12 wks old.)

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 16:32:07 PM »
I had Oz chipped when she went for her second set of shots. The needle was huge, and I wouldn't want it in my arm or behind my neck.  :Crazy:

The Vet had two attempts to put the chip in as Oz flinched so violently. She let out such a cry that she set off all the dogs and cats in the waiting room. Must have been the inernational animal cry for " Thats a huge f :censored:g needle.... RUN!"

But as she is going to be an outside cat, and even at 8 weeks was crying to be let out, I thought it would be better to have everything done in one go. And not risk her butter off before getting her chipped when she is spayed.
Also signed up for the missing pets bureau, just incase.

(is it me or do I worry too much about this?)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 14:08:07 PM »
Lynn - I didn't mean Linda's Bengals escaping, just kittens in general if the vet wont do them - and I dont know where Linda is to know how many other vets there are. Everyone here goes to the same vets, as the others are 7-8 miles away, I can walk to mine in 10 mins, vet thinks I am odd when I use the car to get there!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 16:03:53 PM »
Benglys are all chipped so no need to worry  ;)

I dont necessarily agree with my vets policy Desley, just pointing it out as there may be other vets who are the same. 

edited to add - and being honest the chances of me getting my benglys back (microchipped or not) are pretty minimal as has happened on many occasions to other bengal owners.  Can see many handing Kaiser back over, thats if they could catch him in the first place  :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 16:08:30 PM by Linda (Bengalbabe) »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 15:46:56 PM »
Oh i see...yes that makes sense - thermo - temperature LOL  :doh:

aaah well just aswell we dont all have to go to lindas vets then ..... not alot of chance of her benglys escaping so we shouldnt worry.  I dare say if someone was hell bent on getting them done as kittens there are other vets in the area and the ones who would let a kitten out free range probably wouldnt have chipped in the first place. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 14:39:56 PM »
I dont like your vets policy Linda - what happened if one accidentally got out, it might never get reunited.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 08:57:45 AM »
My vet will not microchip until kittens are 6 months old.  Policy apparently

That does surprise me. We always advise people not to let their kittens out (if indeed they intend to let them out at all) until they are neutered and spayed, however few people take any notice. It is surprising how many kittens are brought to our doors that are chipped and we can reunite them with their owner very quickly.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 08:58:29 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 08:53:27 AM »
I've heard they are not that reliable 

We too have received that advice
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 08:58:43 AM by Ela »

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 08:37:40 AM »
The boys will be chipped when they get the chop  :evillaugh:

Having seen the size of the needle  :sick: it makes me feel better that they will be asleep at the time  ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 00:03:56 AM »
The thermo chip gives the temperature as well as the chip number, saves having a thermometer shoved up their butt but I've heard they are not that reliable  :shify:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 23:16:32 PM »
ok so what is the "thermo" chip then ?

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 23:08:26 PM »
My vet will not microchip until kittens are 6 months old.  Policy apparently !

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 21:35:40 PM »
I would do a search on here for the thermo chip, not sure it is as good as they make it out to be.
Only one of mine have been bothered by being chipped - but that was PEbbles, and we really wouldnt have expected anything less from her!!
Please spay your cat

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 19:37:04 PM »
From what I can gather, (although I will ring them tomorrow and check it out now you have mentioned it), I can have it done next visit for free, but Im unsure whether I can hold off until neutering time, I dont really see why not, it was an offer with the vax course, it didnt stipulate a time scale - I will ring tomorrow and find out for definite.

The normal chip is free, if I want the thermo chip I need to pay an extre £9 to offset the cost.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 19:37:46 PM by coastalkitty »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 18:20:04 PM »
did the vet say if the offer of free chipping would still stand if you decided to wait ?

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 17:50:21 PM »
thanks, Ive just returned from the vets - we have decided to wait until the next injection is due, by which time she will be 14 weeks and we will see how much she's grown and take it from there.   The vet said lots of people do have their kittens chipped  at the first jab and each kitten reacts differently. 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 17:14:35 PM »
I asked the same Q a while ago, I think the consensus is that while it's OK to have it done that young if you can guarantee 100% that they won't 'escape' then to wait until neutering, that's what I've decided to do with my boys anyway.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 16:33:55 PM »
The noise could have been partly imaginary - the point is, as you say, the cats don't seem to be bothered at all. Just one look at that needle gave me the shivers though!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 16:26:09 PM »
We chip all our kittens when they are homed, it is quick and easy and none have ever appeared to suffer in any way at all.

makes a horrible noise,

Our implant devices don't. Also some of out fosterers use the injection type.

Offline coastalkitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 15:47:03 PM »
thanks everyone for your replies, its much appreciated. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 15:11:29 PM »
I think it does go on a personal basis and how secure they are in the house, not able to escape out a door or window.
Obviously many rescues are most likely to do them before being rehomed so they will do kittens (as do many non rescue too)

If it was my kittens i'd wait until they were being neutered but having said that if your vet is only offereing it free at the SAME time as the vaccs then that would be rather silly not to take up the offer.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 14:31:40 PM »
Because my kittens are chipped before they go to their new homes I often have them done with their first vaccination when they are only nine weeks old but my Vet is brilliant and nine times out of ten they do not notice and even those that do flinch have forgotten it again within five minutes.  I know I have it done early but I like to register through my address so that the new owners then have to let me know when they move and I up-date the records.  That way, if they forget to tell me I know that if it was left to them they would have forgotten to tell the microchip company.  Then if a kitty is lost and I don't have owners new details, at least the kitten has a home with me.

I keep meaning to book in on a course so I could microchip them myself but I'm not sure if I would be confident enough doing the kittens myself and my Vet does it for me for only £10 and she does do such a good job of it so I will stick with this method for now.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Link to CatChat