Author Topic: why won't my cats sleep together?  (Read 8478 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: why won't my cats sleep together?
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 18:47:58 PM »
Don't know what it is. Some cats do, others don't. I had three, Bob, Claudius and Pavarotti who used to curl up together and they looked really cute as Bob was white, Claude ginger and Pav was a dark seal siamese. It was your own calico cat without owning one :hug:

Following claude and Pav's deaths, and replacement with Sofie and Ralfie (a temporary house guest who stayed 2 years), there was no such unity ... THey would sleep on the same chair, but each separate from the other ... go figure.......

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 21:56:13 PM »
Dylan and my bridge babe Sophie used to sleep together a lot and now Dylan and Hobbes do but not all the time, sometimes Dylan has his grumpy head on and wants to lie on his own. Mind you they are both lying on the arm of the chair as I type  :Luv: They do very well considering Hobbes is only 7 months and Dylan is 7 years, poor Dylan puts up with a lot and you should see the look on his face when Hobbes is having a daft half hour  :rofl:

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 21:06:33 PM »
What a great picture Gillian  :rofl:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 20:54:34 PM »
My three are all related but only sometimes sleep together, so don't worry!  As long as they're happy it doesn't matter :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 19:14:33 PM »
Gillian out of curiosity do you have to groom them cats everyday?  I have never owned a fluffy cat so excuse the question :shy:

The Persians are particularly soppy and like to curl up with whoever will let them! But, you would never see my ginger and white Harry curled up with my tabby George - they ain't the best of friends by a long shot!

Gwen, I give them a quick brush/comb each morning, usually just around the ruff, and then bath and blow dry them every 6-8 wks just to keep their coats from getting knots, its the easiest way for me to maintain their coats, having 9 of 'em!  ;D

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 18:34:45 PM »
They look like a mat of fur :rofl:

Soooo cute :Luv:

Gillian out of curiosity do you have to groom them cats everyday?  I have never owned a fluffy cat so excuse the question :shy:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 18:36:40 PM by Gwen »
Love me,love my animals.

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 18:01:14 PM »
gillian i cant make end nor tail of them!! :rofl: so fluffy.

but lovely too :Luv:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 17:58:52 PM »
awwwwww i like the photo gillian  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 17:59:22 PM by forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa) »
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 17:57:21 PM »
Several of mine will sleep together, sometimes in a great bundle like in the pic  ;D But there are others who like their own space and who would be really offended if another cat tried to cuddle up to them LOL!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 16:32:23 PM »
I have two cats that curl up together - out of four. (It was five until February, but Parsley never curled up with any of the others either.)

It's all down to the personality of an individual cat, just like it is with a person! ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 18:49:10 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 16:11:56 PM »
None of my cats sleep together

theres sometimes up to 5 on my bed all at the same time but they sleep sepretly they dont cuddle up together
im not bothered though , they r entitled to there own space ,they all get on and live happy healthy lives and thats what matters  ;D ;) ;D

Yup I agree there.  Mine are happy and healthy and it ain't the end of the world if they don't sleep together,but it would be extra cute if they did  :Luv:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 15:58:21 PM »
None of my cats sleep together

theres sometimes up to 5 on my bed all at the same time but they sleep sepretly they dont cuddle up together
im not bothered though , they r entitled to there own space ,they all get on and live happy healthy lives and thats what matters  ;D ;) ;D
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 15:53:53 PM »
Tiggy (female) and her brother slept in the same bed once in all their lifetime (and I have the pic to prove it  :evillaugh:), Lukey and Riley (both boys) sleep together at the moment but they are only 15 weeks so will see what happens in the future, I hope they continue to  :Luv:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 14:47:10 PM »
Quite often it's becaue they're kittens or young cats.  Jaffa and Magpie slept together when they were little but they weren't that close as adults.  They would sometimes sleep close together on the bed (but not touching) but more often than not they'd be in different rooms.  Mosi sometimes cuddled up to Jaffa when he was little but they dont' sleep together now.  Sometimes at night they will both be on the bed with me, although different sides of the bed, but they tend to have their own places.  I don't think it's unusual.  Sometimes that kitten bond continues into adulthood, or a newly introduced cat will bond with an existing cat but it's not always the way.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 14:44:09 PM »
My 4 are all cuddled up on the bed at the mo, usually they all sleep on top of each other.

Maybe yours just like their own space or get too hot?

Do you really want them all to lie together? Its hard to get into bed with them all on it.

Thats a good point but still I think its super cute when two cats lie together etc 

In bed at night my cats are on the same bed as me,Ging is usually on my pillow and Grwndi likes to lie on my arm with his paw on my nose,don't ask,my boyfriend has to fight the cats to have my attention :rofl:

but when I wake in the morning the cats will paw eachother as if to say "shes my mummy,get off",then the other cat will come sit on my chest and they just fight for my attention,thank God its not bad,bad fighting,just pawing or else I wouldn't have any eyes left :rofl:
Love me,love my animals.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 14:33:27 PM »
My 4 are all cuddled up on the bed at the mo, usually they all sleep on top of each other.

Maybe yours just like their own space or get too hot?

Do you really want them all to lie together? Its hard to get into bed with them all on it.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 14:30:47 PM »
I think it's largely pot luck. You do what you can to introduce cats properly, and then hope they'll get on. So far I've been lucky.

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 14:17:10 PM »
monkey and jasper are not related and yet they always sleep together. clean eachother and eat together.

considering it wasnt that long ago monkey was neutered i think hes very tolerant of this lil scamp

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 14:06:38 PM »
I just had this conversation 1/2 hour ago!!  ;D as a lady from C&H came round to measure up for curtains. When she saw the cats, within seconds, she was showing off her 3 bengals on her laptop  :evillaugh:
They are cuddling up in most of the pics and I said I wish mine would. I guess the difference is, hers were related ie mother, daughter & son (the breeder gave her the mother free! ) Mine only bicker & fight  >:(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 14:08:00 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 14:01:52 PM »
My 3 don't sleep together, they'll sleep near each other ;)

Lirael (the burmese) tends to sleep in my arms at night. And Smoke sleeps on top of me.

We've had Lirael 2 years +, Smoke since February and Penguin just came over a couple weeks ago so maybe in time.

But then again, maybe not.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
why won't my cats sleep together?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 13:58:50 PM »
Seeing all these cute pictures of multiple cats lying together,sleeping,playing etc I am so jelous.  I have owned 6 cats in my lifetime and none of them sleep together:(

Harley and Pwt (two females,unfortunately both deceased now) used to  hate eachother.

Pitw and Medrus (two brother males) used to lie together with Pwt,unfortunately they have died now too but after they turned 1 they just didn't bother playing,sleeping etc

Grwndi and Ging (my two present cats) have never been close,they'll eat together but thats about it,other times they'll ignore or paw eachother :'(

Am I doing something wrong?  why aren't my cats bonding like other peoples cats do :'(
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat