Author Topic: Cat Proofing Gardens HELP  (Read 8801 times)

Offline daisykinn1

• Kitten
Re: Cat Proofing Gardens HELP
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »
Well I have had the katzecure fencing up for 3 or 4 weeks now and would highly recomend it. Having had numerous conversations with the owner and designer of the product, about the safety aspect of this system. This system was originally designed for gardeners to keep cats out of their beloved gardensand and not to keep cats in, then this guy decided that it could also work in reverse for cat owners too and started to market the product for cat owners.
Taking into account that the product is fairly new (approx 4yrs) and like with a lot of new products that come onto the market there was a design flaw not for the gardeners, but for cat owners and that was where 2 poles joined at a corner it was possible for a cat to get it's paw trapped/caught if it either tried to escape or gained access to the garden.  There is I believe one report going around of one cat who had the misfortune of getting it's paw caught. So the chap who owns the company redesigned the corner brackets so that the rollers are encased making it impossible for any cat to get it's paw caught this way again. In fairness I can see pro's and cons to all the systems that are available on the market and make no bones about it, each and every one of them could harm/distress an animal if it was unfortunate enough to get caught up in that particular system.
Before I had the system installed I telephoned untold people who had the katzecure system fitted and asked them if they ever had any issues about safety or regretted having the system installed an none did. If I thought for one minute that any one of my five cats would come to any harm through this system, I simply would not of had it installed and if after having it installed I could see any safety issues I would have ripped it down pretty damn quick. The only problem I have had, which was to do with the trellis infill fencing as with this system you do not have to chop down any trees or shrubs. Was the fact that "Bigears" who is a small tabby would climb straight through it, this I soon rectified with some wooden battens.
Would I reccomend this system? Yes I would. Would I reccomend this over another type of sytem on the market? No.
Just wanted to give a fair and an unbiased opinion ;D

Thank you so much for your answer!  I'm going to research it a bit more this weekend then hopefully install something next week.  It would suit me better as a short term solution with the garden we have.  Thanks again!

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 01:39:51 AM »
Well I have had the katzecure fencing up for 3 or 4 weeks now and would highly recomend it. Having had numerous conversations with the owner and designer of the product, about the safety aspect of this system. This system was originally designed for gardeners to keep cats out of their beloved gardensand and not to keep cats in, then this guy decided that it could also work in reverse for cat owners too and started to market the product for cat owners.
Taking into account that the product is fairly new (approx 4yrs) and like with a lot of new products that come onto the market there was a design flaw not for the gardeners, but for cat owners and that was where 2 poles joined at a corner it was possible for a cat to get it's paw trapped/caught if it either tried to escape or gained access to the garden.  There is I believe one report going around of one cat who had the misfortune of getting it's paw caught. So the chap who owns the company redesigned the corner brackets so that the rollers are encased making it impossible for any cat to get it's paw caught this way again. In fairness I can see pro's and cons to all the systems that are available on the market and make no bones about it, each and every one of them could harm/distress an animal if it was unfortunate enough to get caught up in that particular system.
Before I had the system installed I telephoned untold people who had the katzecure system fitted and asked them if they ever had any issues about safety or regretted having the system installed an none did. If I thought for one minute that any one of my five cats would come to any harm through this system, I simply would not of had it installed and if after having it installed I could see any safety issues I would have ripped it down pretty damn quick. The only problem I have had, which was to do with the trellis infill fencing as with this system you do not have to chop down any trees or shrubs. Was the fact that "Bigears" who is a small tabby would climb straight through it, this I soon rectified with some wooden battens.
Would I reccomend this system? Yes I would. Would I reccomend this over another type of sytem on the market? No.
Just wanted to give a fair and an unbiased opinion ;D

Offline daisykinn1

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 22:16:28 PM »
Daisy, you can take your securacat with you if you move.  I am having mine installed next week.

Yes I spoke to Roz about it via email but I'm hoping to get a bigger garden when we move but I guess we can buy extra parts anyway.  Katzsecure just looks easier to put up myself, oh well I'll have to get the boys round!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 21:36:19 PM »
Daisy, you can take your securacat with you if you move.  I am having mine installed next week.

Offline daisykinn1

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 19:08:49 PM »

I have heard bad reports and accidents with the roller on top of fence system called Katzecure.

Oh no really? I've just been looking at their site. I was hoping to use that until we buy a house (next year fingers crossed) rather then have securacat installed. Hey hum nothing is ever simple!!!

MBll

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 21:06:57 PM »
Ta much for these Iv posted the links on the other site & HOPE that STUPID person dosnt get an electric collar.     I did suggest that she wear a collar & see how she likes getting a electic shock

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 18:36:32 PM »
Here are some more links

this is to a great site showing all types of DIY fencing (might be same as Sam's site)
http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

This is to the Purrfect fencing system made in USA but they do have a UK warehouse and where i got my system from which i adapted to fit on my fences
http://www.purrfectfence.com/

And the best is Roz's system for price and location in UK which is securacat as MM said below
You can see Roz's system here and she has many many very pleased and thankful customers and is a wonderful lady  (also known as Queakie  :evillaugh: )
http://www.woodycoon.com/html/cat-proof_fencing.html

Good info here
http://www.fabcats.org/fencing.html

I have heard bad reports and accidents with the roller on top of fence system called Katzecure.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 18:15:05 PM »
I will PM you Roz's number.

This is a helpful little booklet that may be of interest on catproofing.  It is from Australia but it's really good.

http://www.pets.info.vic.gov.au/community/attachments/catprooffencingandcatenclosures.pdf
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 17:20:52 PM »
MBll you would get a better response on general as theres more peoples over there  ;D

Those people sound  :censored:
How do electric collars work? Iv not come across them, i hear about ones for dogs.  >:(

Roz does securacat system, her email is securacat@aol.com she has interent troubles at the mo tho so if someone could pass on her new number that would be great.

MBll

Cat Proofing Gardens HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 17:15:44 PM »
I think there was a post somtime ago on catchat  about cat proofing a garden & a link someone put up ...can someone help out here as I want to cross post about this onto another site as someone  has posted for info on buying an electric collar for their cat   :Crazy:  Also the person says their cat was lost on a road accident & looking for kittens , dont know if the electric collars are to be used on them as it sounds like it. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 17:16:24 PM by MBll »

Link to CatChat