Author Topic: PDSA  (Read 8516 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: PDSA
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 12:50:38 PM »
Begging letters? Or fundrasing letters? Are the letters personally handwritten to you? Not getting what you mean.

If you cannot understand what I mean I will pass on this.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »
Begging letters? Or fundrasing letters? Are the letters personally handwritten to you? Not getting what you mean.  :shy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
Ela do they know you work for CP

I wouldn't have thought so.

Why are they asking you for donations on a personal level?

I have no idea I must be on a mailing list that has been passed round, I am sure other posters get begging letters, I also have them from the RSPCA.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 13:19:52 PM by Ela »

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »
my friends cat recently sprained its shoulder falling off a fence, she rang her usual vet and they quoted £200  :Crazy: so she went to a pdsa and gave them £50 which i think is fair enough.

yea i agree 50 is a fair donation

about 3 years ago my mums dog had to stay in the pdsa for 5 days where he was so ill and they gave her a invoice of how much it cost them to treat the dog all that time and it was over 700 quid ! we all clubbed together and mangaged to give them a donation of 300
which i thought was a fair donation
considering a friend of a friend whos dog was in the pdsa for 3 days
only gave a pound donation  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »
Ela do they know you work for CP? Why are they asking you for donations on a personal level?

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »
my friends cat recently sprained its shoulder falling off a fence, she rang her usual vet and they quoted £200  :Crazy: so she went to a pdsa and gave them £50 which i think is fair enough.

but people who give little or no donation bugs me. because in the long run it means they wont be able to treat others (even mine maybe)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
What the PDSA are asking your CP branch to donate to them?? I was talking about the other peeps that use the PDSA, why should owners that are stuck themselves pay for others pets?

No, not our CP branch, me as an individual.

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 09:21:36 AM »
What the PDSA are asking your CP branch to donate to them?? I was talking about the other peeps that use the PDSA, why should owners that are stuck themselves pay for others pets?

In my PDSA hospital it said the cost of last months treatment was near £70k and there had only been nearly £10k in donations.

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Yes, I agree, but unfortunately there are many people out there who will take something for nothing without batting an eyelid, while many of us who are animal lovers regularly provide funding to the PDSA to subsidise these individuals  :Crazy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »
People cant just use this charity as a free for all because somewhere along the line someone is paying for it.

I know I along with I expect other posters regularly get begging letters from the PDSA.

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 09:00:03 AM »
I agree too. People cant just use this charity as a free for all because somewhere along the line someone is paying for it. Im only talking about the peeps that constantly dont make a donation, why should others pay!?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 08:18:28 AM »
If they can't afford a £1 towards a pets treatment, I'm not being funny but they shouldn't really have a pet then because it's obvious by that, that they can't afford to keep it.

Although I appreciate peoples circumstances can change, I have to agree. We could all have loads of pets if we didn't have to pay for vet treatment, as that is usually the biggest cost involved in pet ownership.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 23:16:26 PM »
Rhona, it's not that some owners won't donate a £1, it's that they feel embarassed because they can't donate more. And some vets aren't averse to emphasising that they're making a loss and making you feel guilty for the help you've been offered!

If they can't afford a £1 towards a pets treatment, I'm not being funny but they shouldn't really have a pet then because it's obvious by that, that they can't afford to keep it.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 23:12:39 PM »
Rhona, it's not that some owners won't donate a £1, it's that they feel embarassed because they can't donate more. And some vets aren't averse to emphasising that they're making a loss and making you feel guilty for the help you've been offered!

I agree, though. A £1 is at least something. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 22:35:55 PM »
Not really sure of the reason why they would do this.  My daughter is a member of the PDSA Pet Protectors Club & a couple of years ago we visited one of their premises.  It was fascinating getting shown around the building & really interesting understanding how they work.  They did mention that they often end up carrying out major surgery costing £50+ pounds & don't always get anything toward it from the owner.  You would think that most pet owners would be able & willing to donate at least a £1.00 towards their pet's treatment and this new way of handling may help promote the giving of a donation.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 20:33:54 PM »
I think Ela is probably correct about the gift aid thing ... if they can get a name and address they can get money back from the tax man!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 18:58:09 PM »
Yeah its not fair when some people are obviously paying nothing and others always do, I make sure that I will have money for the appointment and my contrabution covers the cost of Ollies meds.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 18:54:33 PM »
I think ideally they should set up a minimum donation ie £5 and at least that way, they are covering some of the cost of treatment.  I'm not saying peeps with no money shouldn't have pets, but I do think they should at least have enough to cover basic treatments........this is called "responsible" ownership.

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 18:50:59 PM »
maybe they r recording on the computer how much and how often people give them a donation when treating there pet

Yes this is the case Lisa, they are also doing it where I go. I think this is a good idea some people may never give a contribution and I don't see why other people should pay for the likes of peeps that do this.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 15:51:27 PM »
It could also be to stop someone running in and pulling the box off the wall - or someone thinking it might be worth their while breaking in in case there was any money about.

when you go tin rattling for donations you are supposed to have 2 people opening the tins - perhaps this is to comply with something like that, though its more likely to be to try and prevent one of tthe staff or volunteers from helping themselves.

our treasurer insists that everyone who donates gets a receipt (doesn't always work lol) as it follows charity commission guidelines.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 15:44:46 PM »
I really would'nt like to think they have changed because of low donations etc.....Its prob for statistics, knowing how much exactly comes from where.....i still think "big up to them" ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »
sign saying u now have to pay ur donation to the receptionist who will give u a reciept
i think its a good idea for those who just put 50 pence in the envelope. but i also think it may stop some people from taking there pet to the vet asap whenever a medical problem arises for fear they will be embarrased if they can only give a pound or two for the donation
what do u think ??

In places where there is no PDSA clinic and people have to use a private vet that does PDSA work it has always been like that. Also perhaps it is a way to claim Gift Aid on the donations.

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:59:14 AM »
although from what i understand someone is quite within there rights to go there and say "look i havent got any money at all to make a donation today but i will give more next time "
and obviously they will still see the pet and treat the pet
but the next time u went theyd expect a donation .

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
I don't know how the clinics work, but the PetAid cover is supposed to work on the theory that you pay a set amount and that covers you for the year unless you can give a donation. (Which I try to, as a rule.)

However, recently when I've been in I've been "chased up" for a donation, which makes me more reluctant to give money. Reason being, these practices are supposed to understand that people that go for help to the PDSA aren't always going to be in the position financially to give anything. 

I agree though, Lisa. Some people will be embarrassed they only have a couple of pounds to give - which is a shame. It's kind of undoing some of the good work that's been done.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
i dont really know the rules and how it all works to be honest, but i guess from them, it must be really hard if they get entire days or longer with no donations.  maybe most people do donate, like i said i dont know.  it must be hard to give the service for nothing though.... :shy:

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »
maybe they r recording on the computer how much and how often people give them a donation when treating there pet

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:29:31 AM »
It doesn't sound like a "donation" if you have to give it to the receptionist and get a reciept!

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 11:29:13 AM »
maybe theyve had people putting non money things in and got fed up with it?  dunno other than that! :shy:

• Super Cat
PDSA
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
I was at the pdsa first thing this morning with my best friend and her dog ,she wanted me to go with her to look after her little girl while she sorted bruno out and that ,anyway i see now theyve sealed up the donation boxes with thick red tape and theres a sign saying u now have to pay ur donation to the receptionist who will give u a reciept
i think its a good idea for those who just put 50 pence in the envelope
but i also think it may stop some people from taking there pet to the vet asap whenever a medical problem arises for fear they will be embarrased if they can only give a pound or two for the donation
what do u think ??

Link to CatChat