Author Topic: Something ive never quite understood is ..........  (Read 9157 times)

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
Re: Something ive never quite understood is ..........
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2007, 22:26:44 PM »
None of my cats have ever jumped onto the worktops - Pickles does however take the odd flying leap up there when he thinks I am not looking  :shify:

My six guineas live in the kitchen as does Bigwig my giant bun - usually one or other of the cats is curled up with him.   Zak (caique) loves sitting and looking out of the window.

I clean a LOT  :evillaugh:

Offline emzbubble

• Adult Cat
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2007, 22:08:06 PM »
Jakey sleeps in the kitchen at nights at the moment, he doesn't really go on the surfaces, well not when i see him during the day in there anyway. I sweep the floor daily and i always anti bac the surfaces before i cook, i anti bac then every time i'm in there, abit of a clean freak me, lol, also have all my utencils and chopping boards etc put away xxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2007, 17:52:24 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Could be worse millys mum, she does always poop in the toilet  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2007, 17:50:25 PM »
Lynn you dirty human!   :rofl:

Don't forget to add common to that as well  :evillaugh:  :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2007, 16:24:31 PM »
Lynn you dirty human!   :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2007, 11:02:03 AM »
Oh forgot to say my daughters potty is often in the kitchen too so she wee's  in there sometimes  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »
after she'd stuck it in my face

Know the feeling well. my Jessica (cat with a bum like a cows backside sometimes) sleeps on my pillow. well I move one of  my pillows  down the bed a bit to make room for her on another pillow.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2007, 09:06:46 AM »
Ela cats sleeping on the bed isnt unhygenic at all !

I think it is really,  after all they jump on your bed without washing their paws  and bum after using the litter tray.

Actually Amber got on the bed and woke me up this morning by leaning against me to wash her bum!!
Sadly that was after she'd stuck it in my face. Luckily without my glasses I cant see much so I hope it didnt have danglers  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2007, 08:34:19 AM »

I think it is really,  after all they jump on your bed without washing their paws  and bum after using the litter tray.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:51:10 AM by Ela »

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2007, 08:23:27 AM »

ur lucky ur cats sleep mine dont  :rofl:
all night theyve been manic flying up n down the stairs climbing on the bedroom door etc

all im saying is the awful smell of sh :censored:it i wake up to every day
i couldnt and wouldnt have it in  my kitchen
the smell is enough to make someone pass out  :sick: :sick:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:29:50 AM by forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa) »
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2007, 08:10:08 AM »
oh and Ela if u use to have the bk door open for ur dog to go in n out what about the cats ?????????? didnt they try and escape

As I was typing I just knew that would come back.

No, because if the back door is open the door between the lounge and the kitchen would be closed, and if that was open the cats would have the run of hall, stairs, landing and 2 bedrooms. (3rd is computer room). Although I say run they are usually fast asleep on a bed, how unhygienic is that?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:18:58 AM by Ela »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2007, 08:00:41 AM »
Mogs never goes on the worktops but Amber does. She comes up when Im doing their food and walks up and down, sometimes she jumps up and sits looking out of the window. I cant open the kitchen window as its a sheer drop 4 floors so it scares me but I do have an extractor fan for when Im cooking. If for some reason I need to leave food out its always covered or the door is closed with the cats on the otherside.
Its not ideal but as I live in a flat the kitchen is the only place where theres room to feed them. I do use a fair amount of anti bac spray though.
There isnt room in the kitchen for the trays so they are in the back bedroom (along with the rest of the cr*p  ;))
love
Tab

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2007, 21:41:56 PM »
If you keep the poo and wee separate from the food in the kitchen then there's no problem, surely?!  I have 2 litters in the kitchen for my three, which I clean (the litters that is) as soon as I come in from work.  I'm gradually weaning them off them and getting them to go in the garden, not because I have an issue with hygiene, but cause of the lack of space.  I much prefer the litters in the kitchen - much quicker and easier to clean, especially if there's a 'whoopsy'!

As for the worktops, mine used to go up there but because I put everything foodwise away, they realised there's nothing interesting up there anyway, so don't bother anymore.  I always clean my worktops before preparing food tho, just in case.  I do think we can get too fussy about germs sometimes tho!  We need a few around to build up our immune systems - look at the state of the hospitals now with all these superbugs - which is a reason I don't use antibacterial cleaner, not to mention their environmental impact.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2007, 21:18:23 PM »
I have litter trays in the kitchen, cat room, bedroom and bathroom (and have had them in the living room too), to be honest the kitchen one doesn't bother me, as it is a good 4 feet away from where I cook (well, when I cook of course!!), and scooping trays is one of the first things I do when I get in, so nothing in it while I am cooking. The one that does annoy me, and the one I would like to get rid of, is the one in my bedroom, nothing worse than being woken up at 5am by a cat digging for mad, and then the smell. I dislike getting up anyway, never mind that early!! I dont have a prob with worktops, I have lazy cats that dont bother with them, although one of the fosters has started doing, but all he does is go on them to sit on the windowsill, so can cope with that. As I have bad habits of stroking them and not washing my hands (esp at night), then I am sure if I was going to get anything, it would have happened by now, have been doing that for nearly 5 years.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 20:58:34 PM »
I would say the cats carry a lot more germs than parrots but that aside, it's just the demolishion faze they are going through at the moment that's driving me batty  :Crazy:  :Crazy:  They have plenty of toys but they've still got to go on a wrecking spree and the cocky little buggars do a headbutting motion when you try to move them, they are comical but when you are tired and you are constantly  clearing up after them, it gets a little tiresome  :sneaky:

Mine do chase a couple of the cats round and when I fill the water fountain up, it's usually the parrots that get a drink first and the cats have to wait their turn  :rofl:  Last year we had to take the curtain pole down in the lounge as they'd spend hours chewing my beams  :censored:  One parrot we had used to break out of his cage, even if we put dog clips on it, he'd wind us up by undoing them and putting them on another bar and then opening the door  :Crazy:  :rofl:  I do love them and would miss them if they weren't here but I think I'm gonna have to be tough and limit their freedom a little bit otherwise I'll have no house left.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 20:54:59 PM »
no seriously i  do but couldnt live with one i dont think

They cause havoc and answer back, it's just like having a toddler really lol.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 20:53:23 PM »
Gonzo was caged overnight and when I was out (he was out of cage whenever I was home) or my house would have been completely destroyed lol. I had issues on my last mobile as he'd pulled two of the buttons off so I had to hunt for ages to get a new keypad for it and until i could get one I couldn't dial 6 or 0 lol. The one thing I don't miss about parrots is the fact they aren't litter trained lol. I bet Gonzo's having lots of fun at the bridge destroying everything he can find, shrieking as only Amazons can and snuggling up with any parrot friendly cats he can find.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 20:48:37 PM »
luv parrots but couldnt eat a whole one  :evillaugh: no seriously i  do but couldnt live with one i dont think (never mind several)  and i'd rather deal with cat germs that parrot germs.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 20:45:08 PM »
I've been delaying caging mine as they are so used to being out but I'm going to have to.  They've been through numerous remotes, one chewed my driving license up a couple of weeks ago and threw everything out of my bag, they've starting demolishing my bannister, they've chewed wires, they've gone through god knows how many loaves of bread, they've demolished cakes, broke cups, helped themselves to my drink when I've made one, help themselves to the cats biscuits........the list is endless  :Crazy:  :Crazy:  They won't like being caged as they've been loose for god knows how long but for their safety and my sanity, they are going to be caged for certain parts of the day and definitely overnight as this is when they go on a wrecking spree in my kitchen  :sneaky:

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 20:39:11 PM »
the parrots will just demolish anything in their path including loaves of bread and they take great delight in emptying plates and cups out of the sink, and throwing them on the floor  :censored: 

There again parrots like to cause chaos in any room lol (and then shout and screech about it!). My remote controls are misisng a few buttons, my rail card has beak holes all over it, some of Dave's cds that were in cardboard covers have had the covers shredded, spag bol stain on carpet from him flying straight into my plate of spag bol etc  :rofl:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 20:32:53 PM »
My cats have free run of the whole house, I'm not keen on them jumping on the worktops but try telling my cats that  :Crazy:  As soon as my fridge door is opened you get about 10 meowing babes thinking it's ham time and when I'm making a cuppa I'm usually fighting with the parrots for the spoon  :censored:  I much prefer the cats jumping up than the parrots being on there.......the parrots will just demolish anything in their path including loaves of bread and they take great delight in emptying plates and cups out of the sink, and throwing them on the floor  :censored:  Give me a nice quiet cat in my kitchen anyday  :Luv:  :Luv:

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 19:21:09 PM »
I will try the powder but I have a bad habit with powders and liquids of adding "just a bit more to be on the safe side" that's why you can stand the spoon up in my coffee  :evillaugh:

Ahh yes I'm the same. You can't *quite* stand a spoon up in my Virkon but I'm sure it's not far from it. Think Virkon is supposed to be a 10% solution and I usually make mine up to being a 20% solution. It makes sure everything is nice and clean  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 19:15:25 PM »
as for the litter trays dont forget i have 7 cats theres just no way i could have 7 cats all going a pooh n pee in the same room as i prepare food  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I've got 12  ;D and its not like there's a big rush for the trays when I'm preparing food! they don't tend to 'go' all together  :evillaugh:

Me too!

I have the washing machine under the stairs (it has a door) in my living room.  I treated us to a lovely George III chest of drawers for the bedroom earlier this year - but it takes the elegance away  having the tumble dryer next to it  :evillaugh:

Oh I don't know Mark - gives it that certain je ne sais quois!  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 19:09:36 PM »
but it takes the elegance away  having the tumble dryer next to it 

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 19:07:50 PM »
If you get the powder Mark you don't have to wait for the tablets to dissolve and it's not much hassle to stick the scoop into the tub. I've swapped to Virkon now from F10 as F10 makes the house smell like a vets surgery whereas Virkon doesn't and it's also cheaper  ;D
I will try the powder but I have a bad habit with powders and liquids of adding "just a bit more to be on the safe side" that's why you can stand the spoon up in my coffee  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 19:05:51 PM »
Iits what they do every morning, when they line up to be brushed!! There is supposed to be one no-go area of the worktop, just a few sq inches for me to prepare my food and theirs, just have to hold my elbows out and make warning noises if anyone approaches  :Crazy:

Yes Lynn, will need extra worktop space for the newbies - I'm with you - I would dearly love a utility room - it is my dream - sad really, most people long for a conservatory,  extra bedroom, or ensuite bathroom, extra living space - but me all I want is a utility room!  :doh:

Me too!

I have the washing machine under the stairs (it has a door) in my living room.  I treated us to a lovely George III chest of drawers for the bedroom earlier this year - but it takes the elegance away  having the tumble dryer next to it  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 19:03:16 PM »
If you get the powder Mark you don't have to wait for the tablets to dissolve and it's not much hassle to stick the scoop into the tub. I've swapped to Virkon now from F10 as F10 makes the house smell like a vets surgery whereas Virkon doesn't and it's also cheaper  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 19:00:01 PM »
forever if you hedging around askin for a free scottish holiday you can forget it  :evillaugh: (full at the inn)

(anyway didnt we have a similar discussion before but on cat hair which can also be classed as unhygenic ? )  :innocent:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 19:00:32 PM by lynn »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 18:57:30 PM »
virkon solution. My cats are cleaner than a lot of my guests   

You can't better Vircon can you? We often use that as of course do many vets.

I love it but get really impatient waiting for the tablets to melt!

I also stained a carpet as I thought it would be a good idea to add a few to carpet shampoo to get extra clean carpet (luckily it came out with oxy-kic  :evillaugh: )

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 18:56:55 PM »
no why do you take that  :Crazy:

its never fully open and often only closed on the catch (big heavy double glazed units so cody cant push em) other windows where the big boys are is different they are never left open without being on the catch as they can push them (never meant to be but accidents have been known  :tired:)

Of course you do remember im in rural aberdeenshire and probably got more fresh air howling past my ears anyway  :rofl:

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2007, 18:51:59 PM »
most would have xplairs and cooker extractor fan things.  Yes my window is open partially any day its not freezing.

nothing beats fresh air though  :evillaugh:

i take it u must have cat screens up to ur windows then

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2007, 18:48:56 PM »
I just don't like the whole idea Susanne. We prepare food on chopping board or those worktop saver things.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2007, 18:45:35 PM »
Our utility room unfortunately leads into the loft and Dave has yet to build a loft hatch so they can't have trays in there (they have to be shut out of their) otherwise they get up into the loft. Frightened the life out of me when I was in the loft one day getting more litter down and turned around to see Bilbo behind me!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2007, 18:45:23 PM »
most would have xplairs and cooker extractor fan things.  Yes my window is open partially any day its not freezing.

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 18:41:51 PM »
I just dont like the whole idea susanne , ive had expierence of cats going in the kitchen and it was awful ,

as for the litter trays dont forget i have 7 cats theres just no way i could have 7 cats all going a pooh n pee in the same room as i prepare food  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
and although i sccop up poohs as soon as they r done and i change the whole trays and wash them every other day i still think the cats trays are unhygenic to have near food ,
also those of u who have indoor cats that are allowed in the kitchen dont u ever open ya kitchen windows????
i have mine wide open all day
wat about when u cook surely u need the window open with all the steam
doesnt it get hot ? :Crazy: :Crazy:

oh and Ela if u use to have the bk door open for ur dog to go in n out what about the cats ?????????? didnt they try and escape ? :Crazy:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 18:43:56 PM by forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa) »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 18:37:04 PM »
oh i forgot of course me knew house will have atleast 1 extra if not 2 more bogs  :evillaugh:

A conservatory an added bonus (prefer sun lounge myself ) but a utility room is much more practical.

susanne..
They don't go on worktops much

or so you think  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 18:34:42 PM »
Mine are allowed to go wherever they want.  As they're indoor cats and I live in a one bed flat I'd feel cruel shutting them out of any rooms.  I don't mind them in the kitchen.  They don't go on worktops much but I'm not bothered as I don't put food directly on the worktop.  I use a chopping board which is stored on its side by the side of the microwave.  There are hairs all over the place anyway - I don't think keeping them out of the kitchen will make much difference.  Besides, they just add a bit of fibre to the food  :evillaugh:  Question for those who don't like them on worktops - is that because you put food on the actual worktops or do you just not like the idea?

I'm not keen on litter trays in the kitchen (mine is in the living room) but you have to put them where there is space and where the cats want them.  They don't have to be dirty trays - If you keep them clean and scoop regularly there shouldn't be too much of a hygiene problem.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 18:32:57 PM »
Iits what they do every morning, when they line up to be brushed!! There is supposed to be one no-go area of the worktop, just a few sq inches for me to prepare my food and theirs, just have to hold my elbows out and make warning noises if anyone approaches  :Crazy:

Yes Lynn, will need extra worktop space for the newbies - I'm with you - I would dearly love a utility room - it is my dream - sad really, most people long for a conservatory,  extra bedroom, or ensuite bathroom, extra living space - but me all I want is a utility room!  :doh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 18:32:26 PM »
  well cody has swiped my white wine before now and no way was a slooshing the rest down the sink, i gulped it down before he pinched more  :rofl:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 18:30:52 PM »
Our cats are allowed in the kitchen and they will go on the counter tops - not my choice :)

Vinagar and water or baking soda and water clean everything pretty well. The only time we keep the cats out is due to my husbands miniature hobby (1inch tall metal or plastic figures) that he'll get annoyed if Lirael runs off with them (she's done it many times before) and there is a chance they will eat a bit of metal or get into the paint he uses.

As to hygeine - Lirael goes for my glass of water if I don't pay attention. Normally I catch her but I'm sure there have been a time or two I've drank cat backwash...

Link to CatChat