Author Topic: D day tomorrow - Gonna miss my babies :(  (Read 7686 times)

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
Re: Honest opinion needed folks!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 14:19:18 PM »
i went away for the weekend a few years back and we only had the 4 cats at the time so we left them in a brilliant cattery. the people who ran it were really helpful and couldn't do enough to help (Lexie has digestion issues) but it wasn't enough, Poppy lost so much weight over the 4 days, she must not have eaten at all and Lucie was very clingy after she returned home. now i wont go away because i worry about them but if it is absolutely necessary i get a family member to come and check on them several times a day as pet sitter would. the cats are much more relaxed when we return home, yes they miss us but they have been a familiar environment with people they know so i would recommend getting a friend or pet sitter. saying that though, i have a friend who's cat loves going to a cattery- it's one of those posh "hotel" ones with heated beds etc and Sophie the cat loves it as it is like a holiday for her and she has someone yo pander to her every need. it must depend on the type of cat  :-:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 14:16:12 PM »
I booked the boys into a lovely cattery for their first holiday and they HATED it. Riley (the friendliest, happiest, most confident boy) hissed at the cattery lady and one of them wee'd in their bed :hairrasin: They have never had a non illness related accident or a non 'stupid Mummy closing the door to the room with the litter tray is' accident before so they must have been pretty unhappy to wee in their own bed  :( This was despite the cattery being positively luxurious and the lady a true cat lover. Ever since then I've gone down the pet sitter route, either a paid for one or my sister coming in twice a day.! The boys seem completely normal when I get back so pet sitter all the way for me.

I would be especially wary in your case that Ella will have to 'put up' with Archie in such a confined space. At least in their own home she will have many more hidey spots.

If you go down the pet sitter route you can meet them beforehand to make sure you feel comfortable with them. My boys hide when the petsitter is here but the rest of the time they are in their own home and their routine is pretty much as it is when I'm not there.

I vote.... Petsitter!

P.S If you do decide to go down the petsitter route, as your hols are in the 'peak' period you could ask the cattery that if they manage to re-book your space whether you could get a refund on the deposit?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 14:06:59 PM »
A real problem and I so understand.

Havent had a holiday proper since the mid 1990s before Kocka arrived.

I had two scaredy cats. one semi feral nearly 6 years ago and put them in a cattery for 5 days so I could go back to London and it was a disaster.

The lady also seemed nice but its more than that which is needed.

Sasa came back terrified and ran away for a week and I have never been able to stroke here again since and even after all this time she still does not trust me and will not come close in case I try to touch her.

Misa would not come out of his carrier while at cattery, and Sasa rushed into the little upstairs house and stayed there. Misa was very pleased to be home but I just cant do holidays at all.

I used to go away over night and leave a timed food tray but now Franta get so ill, I cant do that either.

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
D day tomorrow - Gonna miss my babies :(
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 13:56:57 PM »
I have been dreading this for about two years but our holiday is now less then 2 months away and it will be the first time I have ever left Ella (and Archie)

Originally when we knew we were moving we arranged a cattery for Ella (with at that time Effie) and although we were happy with the cattery, it fills me with dread. One because Ella is not a cat that reacts well to anything that doesn't involve Sean and I, but also now we have Archie he is a handful and she would get no respite for his constant demands to wrestle. They are booked and we have paid a deposit. The cattery is nice and the woman lovely but it is a pen and I wonder how Ella would cope. 

However there seem to be a number of cat sitters in MK, who come in once/twice a day and feed the cats, change their litter, food and water. I am worried about how they would be in the house alone for two weeks but at the same time, it is not a pen, it is their home, I know Ella would hide during the time of the visit but the rest of time she would be able to sleep where she wants and the fact Archie is playful means there would be company. The down side is a stranger coming into your home, which we are not keen on.

I'd appreciate your take on it!

I wondered what you think

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 19:14:13 PM by Ella & Archie »

Link to CatChat