Author Topic: Ruby may be pregnant  (Read 7777 times)

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
Re: Ruby may be pregnant
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
Just because she is 2.5 doesn't mean she wont have troubles giving birth. Your sis might want to make sure she can afford any emergency vet bills that might occur (last time I spoke to a vet about a c-section, it was £250), and then there is the extra cost of food and litter while the kittens are growing up, plus worming, fleaing and vaccs for all the kittens. My first mum cat came to me when the kittens were 5 weeks old, they were getting through just over a 30l bag of litter a week, plus 6 boxes of pouches and biscuits a week. IF she can't afford this, then she does need to think of all the options, however hard, as it isn't fair to bring kittens in if she can't probide for them. Also, unless she knows the father, there is also the risk of sickly kittens if the dad was carrying anything like FIV or FeLV.

I know theres always a risk, I just mentioned her age because I think 5mths old would be far too young.
She can afford it as she has plenty of savings. She also knows the dad as she is her pedigree Main Coon Azzy so no problems in that department. Anyway, if she is pregnant theres not alot I can do now, I couldn't get her to get them neutered so theres no way she would terminate the pregnancy now. All I can do now is everything I can to make sure shes looking after Ruby properly throughout the pregnancy, and then the kittens when they arrive.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:16:22 AM »
Just because she is 2.5 doesn't mean she wont have troubles giving birth. Your sis might want to make sure she can afford any emergency vet bills that might occur (last time I spoke to a vet about a c-section, it was £250), and then there is the extra cost of food and litter while the kittens are growing up, plus worming, fleaing and vaccs for all the kittens. My first mum cat came to me when the kittens were 5 weeks old, they were getting through just over a 30l bag of litter a week, plus 6 boxes of pouches and biscuits a week. IF she can't afford this, then she does need to think of all the options, however hard, as it isn't fair to bring kittens in if she can't probide for them. Also, unless she knows the father, there is also the risk of sickly kittens if the dad was carrying anything like FIV or FeLV.
Please spay your cat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 21:43:43 PM »
sad but i'd get her spayed now rather than risk continuing with pregnancy and the stress of a bunch of babies.

Yeah, thats SO not gonna happen!
To be honest, I don't think I could do that, but then I wouldn't get into that situation in the first place.
If she isn't pregnant (which seems highly unlikely) I hope they will get her spayed now.

I know I took my youngest female in to be spayed she had one heat and got a phone call telling me she was pregnant, she was under anaesthetic at the time but wanted to know what I wanted them to do.  She had never been out but had a male a month younger than her who was booked in for neutering 2 weeks after, she had been booked in for 4 weeks for the spay and as soon as she showed signs of heat was seperated.  The vet would not operate before the date due to her age as she was only 5 months when spayed.  Obviously with her being a baby herself I told them to go ahead and spay.

I think that was the right decision, due to her age and the fact that she was already there for the op. In that case, I would have made the same decision. Its a bit of a different situation with Ruby though as she is 2.5 years old. My sister wouldn't even consider it, I'm not going to suggest it either because In this situation, I wouldn't consider it either.

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 21:33:19 PM »
sad but i'd get her spayed now rather than risk continuing with pregnancy and the stress of a bunch of babies.

To be honest, I don't think I could do that, but then I wouldn't get into that situation in the first place.
If she isn't pregnant (which seems highly unlikely) I hope they will get her spayed now.

I know I took my youngest female in to be spayed she had one heat and got a phone call telling me she was pregnant, she was under anaesthetic at the time but wanted to know what I wanted them to do.  She had never been out but had a male a month younger than her who was booked in for neutering 2 weeks after, she had been booked in for 4 weeks for the spay and as soon as she showed signs of heat was seperated.  The vet would not operate before the date due to her age as she was only 5 months when spayed.  Obviously with her being a baby herself I told them to go ahead and spay.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 21:15:09 PM »

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 21:06:36 PM »

• Senior Cat
Ruby may be pregnant
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 19:47:15 PM »
Well, you may remember a thread I made talking about how I was trying to get my sister to get her cats neutered.
In the end she said she had put it off because she was scared something would happen to them while under anesthetic (I think this is because Louis died shortly after being neutered, she believed the stress and anesthetic aggravated an underlying heart condition)
I offered to take Ruby to the vets for her while she was at work so that she wouldn't even know she was having it done until she came home! She had to talk to her OH about it and I kept pushing the issue but it seems Ruby may now be pregnant.  :tired:
She was last in heat 3 weeks ago, shes eating more and her nipples are definately larger. My sister and her OH are pretty excited about it (which leaves me to think that they did actually want them to have kittens)  >:( She'll be going to the vets soon to see if she is really pregnant. At least she has a few homes (family and friends) lined up for them and has said that any that she can't home, she will keep (lets just hope she gets the kittens neutered!) I have said that any kittens that go to people other than family or friends will need to be homechecked, and have also been quite stern with her about getting Ruby done after the birth.

Link to CatChat