Author Topic: Horrible case of abuse!  (Read 9060 times)

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Re: Horrible case of abuse!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 21:00:53 PM »
I realize this even it behind us now, but today it was brought back into my head.

I called the Missoula Animal Control today to find out about the donation receipt for the $500 I am waiting for, and I spoke to someone there at length about the whole Mercy/Gary mess. I got a lot more information that really makes me upset, sad and angry. I’ll skip the full condition of Mercy and why she made the decision to let her go (the one I spoke to was who took her to Pullman). Here is info they decided not to release to the paper: Gary has adopted another cat in the late fall, I believe she said Poe. When he went to the shelter in search of another cat, they asked him how Poe was. He told them that his niece liked Poe so much that he game Poe to her. Here I must note that the shelter (and just about every reputable shelter in the USA) makes you sign a contract when you adopt an animal. On cats most say that you will NEVER declaw them and pretty much all state that if you ever do not want the animal you MUST return it to the shelter. You are not allowed to give it away, period, and for very good reason. Anyway the workers there decided not to push it since he “give” her to a family member, and they decided to forgo the shelter rules and allow him to adopt again, Mercy.

Now fast forward to just after Gary committed suicide. Going through the apartment the police found Poe stuffed in his freezer! I decided not to press on and ask how Poe may have died, it is too late to matter and finding out would serve no purpose other than anger and upset me. So once again I find myself sitting here distressed over the events I worked so hard to move beyond. Gary’s behavior at the shelter (it was odd and they did put him on the “No Adoption” last after he got Mercy, before this mess played out) and the description of his behavior by neighbors should have been a warning call to people. I know that in the end we are not really charged with policing the world in an attempt to help those who need it and protect people and animals, but I still am distressed over how the whole thing played out. Look, I am very angry at what he did. I did and would again call for blood, but not how it happened. He needed help. It is easy for people to ignore that fact and wish death upon him, and an eternity spent suffering the same fates he so readily handed out to the 2 cats, but I just cannot jump on that wagon. If you are a religious person and believe in a God/Devil or such, then can you really want the divine to fault a soul for being mentally ill? Have you read “Of Mice and Men”? I loved the book. Would you fault Lenny and wish him to hell for the death of the rabbits and mice (and Curley’s wife)? Would you fault a down syndrome person and willingly see him suffer in hell simply because of no fault of his own (the genetic defect) he killed a puppy whether intentionally or not? I find myself torn on this issue still.

In the end I believe I more pity Gary than wish death. Perhaps in an alternate reality Earth, he was arrested the night the police first showed up, Poe and Mercy were discovered. The shelter and neighbors came forward with testimony and behavior descriptions that caused Gary to be placed in a home or hospital. Perhaps in that world we was helped, then felt horrible remorse for what he did, and if cured (by therapy or drug or both) he ended up volunteering at the shelter, and lived 30 more years and 20 was spent helping save animals.

Then again, perhaps not. But one could hope that karma justice would be served more like that. At least I do. It is a shame life is not always as grand as you would hope.

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 13:33:06 PM »
I still find it all confusing and very sad. I would have far prefered him to be arrested and have a proper trial. I would have rather ^Mercy^ was spared. Rather ^Mercy^ had not been adopted by him.
Do keep in mind that everything here is hear say. What really happened at every stage of this will never be known.

I decided to do s search on this guys name and Missoult and received at least 5 pages of hits, each talking about this. Many urging people to attack and kill him. Most had put his phone number on the page and aked people to call, harass and threaten him. On that level I would be terrified myself.

Look, if he did what it seems he did, it was so f'n wrong on so many levels. Just suppose he did not? What if (though I admit I tend to doubt) he did have a lady over and they were drunk and SHE did do this? It is easy to say he is responsible in that case, but then imagine someone at your house doing something unthinkable and YOU becoming the brunt of the angry mod, receiving death threats and calls and visitors.

I am just so upset with this whole thing. I find myself still feeling very sick and wishing none of it ever happened. I am sort of considering it "A man murdered a kitten. The world murdered a man".

I suppose I need time to digest the events and really think about it all. :(

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »
A virtual recluse who just happened to meet some  strange woman, from some place unknown, out of the blue, he  invites her back to his house one time and she allegedly did this, not him?    Despite the fact his arms and hands were covered in deep stratches and a small electric razor is plugged into the wall, clumps of cat hair all over the flat, he tells police the cat  attacked him (oh I wonder why)  and neighbours cannot recall any woman visiting in or out.  Mighty fine coincednence  and I don't believe a word of his 'big bad woman story'.     

Some mentally ill peple are the most manipulative, conniving and compulsive lliars dependant on their diagnosis, whether it is a multiple / cross diagnosis or /and the seriousness of the nature of the illness.     Strange how his story changed  between his convo with Millar the advocate/counsellor, and his story to the poice about not remembering what had happened. 

I must be a very hard person with a lack of understanding - I truly feel that the best way I can put this is that, he too then, is now out of his misery.  If this was all due to mental illness - it still could have been a child.   

The matter has been taken out of the hands of those on this side of the Earth.

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »
Attached is the PDF of the complaint and here is the latest news on the whole thing:

A 63-year-old Missoula man was found dead Thursday afternoon after police tried to arrest the suspect in an animal cruelty case involving a badly abused kitten.

Police arrived at an apartment on 38th Street shortly after 1 p.m. to serve a felony arrest warrant on Gary Lee Bassett for aggravated animal cruelty. The charges were related to the case of an abused 4-month-old kitten that police found at the same apartment Sunday night after neighbors reported hearing screams from the residence.

On Thursday, the man inside the apartment would not come to the door, even after an officer spoke with him on the telephone. When the officer entered the apartment he heard a single gunshot and immediately left the home and called for backup.

Police then brought in tactical negotiators, a SWAT team and an armored vehicle, and sealed off the neighborhoods around Dore Lane, Roy Drive and 38th Street. Officers never fired any shots during the incident and were eventually able to secure the scene and enter the man's apartment, said Missoula Police Sgt. Travis Welsh.

After more than an hour, officers entered the apartment and found a man's body, but have not yet released the victim's name or confirmed that it is the suspect in the animal abuse case.

However, according to charging documents filed against Bassett on Thursday, the man had made repeated threats to end his life during earlier police interviews. He told police that he suffered from clinical depression, the records state.

Welsh said the incidents are related, but would not elaborate because the investigation is ongoing and a coroner's report is forthcoming.

"At this time, it appears that he took his own life," Welsh said. "I can say that it is related (to the animal abuse case), but that's all I can say about it at this time."

"We had been here before as part of the investigation, but we came back this time to serve an arrest warrant and take him into custody," Welsh said.

Officials with the Missoula County Sheriff's Office have assumed control over the investigation because of the police department's involvement in the case and because the death occurred while police were trying to arrest the suspect.

Sgt. Mike Dominick of the sheriff's office said he could not release the victim's name until after the man's relatives are notified, and had not yet determined a cause or manner of death.

"All I can say is that there is no indication at this time of foul play or involvement by other parties," Dominick said. "Pending the investigation and notification of next of kin, that's all we can release."

The week's events at the 38th Street apartment began when police were called to the home Sunday night. Neighbors reported screams coming from the residence, and when officers responded they found a limp, wet and near-dead kitten.

The recently adopted kitten's owner had allegedly tried to drown her in the toilet, and apparently had thrown the animal against the wall or stomped on its back, crushing the pelvis and vertebrae, according to a veterinarian. Part of the cat's head had been shaved and cat hair was strewn about the apartment.

Officers interviewed the resident of the apartment, Gary Lee Bassett, who had deep scratches on his forearm and on his hands. He said something was wrong with the cat and that it had attacked and scratched him. An officer noticed a small electric razor plugged into the wall outlet.

On Thursday, the Missoula County Attorney's Office filed a felony count of aggravated cruelty to animals against Bassett, who lives at the 38th Street apartment.

According to the charging document, Bassett's behavior with police on Sunday fluctuated between cooperative, agitated and confused. An investigator spoke with a neighbor who placed the initial call to police, and the woman said she was outside smoking a cigarette when she heard a man yelling and screaming inside the apartment. She described the man's screaming as "someone pleading for mercy," and recalled hearing him yell, "Oh, please God, no," records state.

On Tuesday, officers again went to the residence, this time to serve a search warrant. They knocked on the door several times and announced their presence. There was no answer for a long time, but Detective J.C. Denton eventually heard a man say he was afraid to come to the door.

"Bassett said he was going to shoot himself and end it all," court records state. "Although he denied remembering what happened, he said he was sorry for what happened to the kitten and that he had nothing to live for."

Bassett told the detective he had been diagnosed with clinical depression for 19 years, and offered to pay for the kitten's injuries. Mental health professionals were called to speak with Bassett after his repeated statements to end his life.

Missoula County Attorney Fred Van Valkenburg said he believes there was some contact between mental health professionals and Bassett, but could not provide details. Van Valkenburg said if the man who shot himself on Thursday is indeed Bassett, the animal cruelty charge would be dismissed.

"If it is that person, and I assume it is, the charges would be dismissed," he said.

Dr. Paul Schaumberg of Pruyn Veterinary Hopspital said the kitten arrived with below-normal body temperature and was in shock. The animal had a head injury and a concussion, and the right side of her pelvis was broken and compressed in.

"These injuries indicate either multiple blows or a significant force, like a kick, that sent her airborne and into another object," he said. X-rays did not reveal a spinal injury, but one was discovered after she was sent to Washington State University for further evaluation. There it was determined that the injuries to her spine were irreparable and the kitten was euthanized.

The police response on Thursday drew dozens of spectators, who watched the events unfold from the nearby Kmart parking lot. After speaking with police, officials at nearby Meadow Hill Middle School determined it was safe to send students home by bus, according to Lesli Brassfield, director of public affairs for Missoula County Public Schools. However, some students who lived in neighborhoods near 38th Street were kept at the school for more than an hour, Brassfield said.

As the police activity began to wind down, Bryann Stillwagon came running across the Kmart parking lot with her dog to greet a friend. She had been cooped up in an adjacent apartment unit when the police arrived.

"I'm just shaking. That was crazy," said Stillwagon, who was trying to nap when she heard the commotion. She eventually went outside and asked police if it was safe for her to leave, and they told her, yes, that the suspect had taken his life.

"They told me it was the same guy who abused the kitten," Stillwagon said. "We've seen cops at his place before Sunday, too."

Early on Thursday morning, Deb Miller told the Missoulian about a phone conversation she held with Bassett the previous day.

Miller has a master's degree in counseling and works as a case manager and advocate. The story of the kitten's abuse enraged her, and she determined to track him down and question him to arrive at the truth.

"I was so, so incensed, I said, ‘I've got to find this guy,' " Miller said. " ‘I need to talk with this guy.' So I found him."

Miller pulled up a phone number online, dialed it and he answered.

"I said, listen, I'm not here to judge you, but I need to know why this happened," Miller said.

She and Bassett spoke for roughly half an hour, Miller said. She said he told her he had gotten drunk that night with a woman and regretted it. He said it was the woman who had tortured the kitten, and that he screamed and threw her out of his home. A neighbor heard his screams and called the police, he said.

Miller said she didn't know if he had told police the story about the guest: "I don't think he really knew her. He didn't say where he met her, how he met her."

Voicemails subsequently left for Bassett were not returned. On Thursday morning, the Missoulian knocked on his door but he did not answer. A neighbor said the Suburban parked in the driveway belonged to Bassett.

One woman who lives in the same complex said Bassett was a recluse who rarely left his home. She never saw anyone else come and go. She said she doubted he had a visitor the night police found the hurt cat on his floor. She also said the man might have been dealing with his own personal demons.

"I don't want to judge," the woman said.

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 00:41:02 AM »
The man could have been mentally ill. Suffering from undiagnosed delusions. Schizophrenia. Anything.  :( There is virtually no state mental health provision in the US.  :tired: We will never know if he really was a monster or whether the press attention drove a sick man to his only escape.  :(

Very true on all counts.   However, he was capable of inflicting such harm to an animal whether mosnter or ill.  It could have easily have been a child or an equally defenceless human being. If this did not happen with Mercy, it could have manifested onto a human being.  I am very hard hearted  in matters like this but I cannot dispute  your own sense of understanding.    Tragic all round whichever way you look at it. 

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 00:13:53 AM »
The man could have been mentally ill. Suffering from undiagnosed delusions. Schizophrenia. Anything.  :( There is virtually no state mental health provision in the US.  :tired: We will never know if he really was a monster or whether the press attention drove a sick man to his only escape.  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 23:54:59 PM »
I concur with what you are feeling Dave - it is tragic on all levels.     However....

My very hard heart  in matters such as this - allows me to think more along the lines of, "He won't do that again".   I think the same when it comes to anyone who has killed or maimed another living person or animal -  they can give it out - but can't take it back.

He chose to take his life,   Mercy didn't get that option.   I know, my view is hard and somewhat unforgiving, but that's me and I don't expect others to agree with such a viewpoint. 

I agree with you totally. If I believed in hell, I would hope he has ended up there.

Good riddance!  >:(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 00:02:20 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 23:53:40 PM »
Why adopt a kitty and then go and do such a dreadful thing like that?

Mercy I am so sorry, from a member of the human race who really does care:

Mercy you deserve my respect,

The brutal bloody fate in store

I hope you did not suspect.

She never harmed a living soul

Yet hands unfit to touch her,

Would soon transform this regal form

With death and pain and sadness,

For there'd be no comfort

As the 'final hour' drew near.

No loving tender touch

To make it easier to bear.

What cruel unjust and callous world

To break this gentle heart,

Eyes glazed with fear, my lovely girl

Would soon be ripped apart.

Rest In Peace

xxx

:RIP: :candle:       :RIP: :candle:       :RIP: :candle:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 23:18:12 PM »

animal abuse is a sign of a diseased mind, and that is why it should always be taken seriously

anyone with even the smallest knoweldge of psychiatry is aware that people who commit such abuse on animals, they very often have a high risk of being incredibly dangerous  to society in general  and that worsens with age - and that often, such cruelty and abuse start from a very young age,  the abuse develops as the person becomes older - if it is not reined in or treated.   I agree with you,  it should be taken that this man had to choice to face up or choose the easy way out.   I really find it difficult to feel sorry for him. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 23:19:51 PM by Mollys Slave »

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 23:11:49 PM »
Hi Mollys Slave,
I fully understand. And lord knows when I read about the stand-off I was chearing here and hoping he died. Now I am just saddened and ... well saddened I guess. THe store was not enough to show us he did do it. FOrgive my story telling for a minute, but just suppose someone else was there and did it and left. The police were called, the kitten taken and the owner of the apartment was listed in the paper. ALl kinds of theats come in, death threats and such (after all with the guys name and address listed in the paper, how hard would it be to find the #). He is already a bit unstable, depressed and he just cannot take it anymore, no one will listen and so BANG.

Do I honestly believe that is what happend? No, but till he was convicted in a court of law and proper proof given....

If he DID do it, then perhaps justice was served. If not, God forgive my wishing it.

You didn't wish this  so stop beating yourself up.   I know you are thinking that the pitchfork crew may have got the wrong guy.   But the original story  may not have confirmed the  owner's name /details - but I am quite sure that  he was not unknown, I could be wrong of course..  I also understand about the guy possibly being mentally unstable - Charles Manson was unstable - do you feel sorry for  him?  (I'm being ham fisted here, but I'm trying to make you feel better - in  a clumsy manner of attempting to ).

I know it's tragic - but life has a habit of being cruel and we have to move on  and upwards.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 23:19:01 PM by Mollys Slave »

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Tonight
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 23:07:43 PM »
Tonight I shall have a candle lit at home all night to help ^Mercy^ find her way.
Given that it must take a horribly warped and disturbed mind to do what this man may have done to ^Mercy^, I will hope that he finds peace and normality in the end, I suppose. :(

May ^Mercy^ be met at the Rainbow Bridge by all our departed pets, and shown that not all people are bad. Some of us do care.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 23:04:08 PM »
what a dreadful story

animal abuse is a sign of a diseased mind, and that is why it should always be taken seriously

it would seem this man was aware of this too, and took his own way out
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 23:02:23 PM »
Hi Mollys Slave,
I fully understand. And lord knows when I read about the stand-off I was chearing here and hoping he died. Now I am just saddened and ... well saddened I guess. THe store was not enough to show us he did do it. FOrgive my story telling for a minute, but just suppose someone else was there and did it and left. The police were called, the kitten taken and the owner of the apartment was listed in the paper. ALl kinds of theats come in, death threats and such (after all with the guys name and address listed in the paper, how hard would it be to find the #). He is already a bit unstable, depressed and he just cannot take it anymore, no one will listen and so BANG.

Do I honestly believe that is what happend? No, but till he was convicted in a court of law and proper proof given....

If he DID do it, then perhaps justice was served. If not, God forgive my wishing it.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 23:00:29 PM »
What a tragic end.  :'( So so so sad that Mercy lost her fight, and glad that her attacker is gone so there is no possibility of him hurting any animal again.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 22:56:15 PM »
I concur with what you are feeling Dave - it is tragic on all levels.     However....

My very hard heart  in matters such as this - allows me to think more along the lines of, "He won't do that again".   I think the same when it comes to anyone who has killed or maimed another living person or animal -  they can give it out - but can't take it back.

He chose to take his life,   Mercy didn't get that option.   I know, my view is hard and somewhat unforgiving, but that's me and I don't expect others to agree with such a viewpoint. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 22:57:36 PM by Mollys Slave »

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
A sad sad state of affairs
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 22:43:22 PM »
I know I was looking for justice on ^Mercy^, but I find myself very saddened at the entire range of events, from the abuse of ^Mercy^ to what you are about to read below. I would rather none of this had happened and I find myself now sad on several levels.

UPDATED: Missoula man commits suicide at home where abused kitten found

A Missoula man is dead after police attempted to serve an arrest warrant at a home where a kitten was found severely abused earlier this week.

Officers arrived to serve an arrest warrant at 2419 38th St. shortly after 1 p.m. today, but the man inside would not come to the door.

The warrant was for aggravated animal cruelty charges related to the case of the abused 4-month-old kitten found at the home Sunday night after neighbors reported screams coming from the residence.

A Missoula police officer talked to the man inside the home on the telephone before approaching the house this afternoon, but the man would not come to the door.

When the officer entered the apartment, he heard a gunshot - and immediately left and called for backup.

Police then brought in tactical negotiators and the SWAT team. Officers never fired any shots during the incident, and were eventually able to determine that the man was dead.

Said Missoula Police Sgt. Travis Welch, "At this time, it appears that he took his own life."

Police are not releasing the name of the victim.

Missoula County is going to take over the investigation because of the police department's involvement and because the death took place as police were trying to arrest a suspect.

The week's events at the 38th Street apartment began when police were called to the home Sunday night. Neighbors reported screams coming from the residence.

There, officers found a limp and near-dead kitten.

The 4-month-old kitten's owner had allegedly tried to drown her in the toilet, and apparently had thrown the animal against the wall or stomped on its back, crushing the pelvis. Part of the cat's head was shaved.

The animal was later euthanized.

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 22:36:50 PM »
Dave -  I wish I could say that 2 wrongs don't make a right - but as far as any cruelty or abuse to animals is concerned,  the gloves are off - I shouldn't say it's 'nice' to hear a bit of pay back happening, but I'd be lying if I pretended otherwise.   

I can't say I blame these people - I'd be hard pushed not to be one of them baying for blood.  Thanks for the update, appreciated - I think this Gary Basett will hopefully learn his lesson. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 22:30:43 PM »
Poor baby  :'(

I have seen some other links and it seems people are demanding justice for Mercy. I hope this piece of scum is dealt with in a painful and life-ending way by animal lovers - for what he did to Mercy, he deserves no Mercy. I hope he pays for this 1000 times over  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
YES YES YES!!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 22:18:12 PM »
Purrhaps there is a God and he/she is PISSED!

Breaking news!!!!

Police standoff in progress at home on 38th Street where abused kitten found

Police are engaged in a standoff outside the residence on 38th Street in Missoula where a kitten was found earlier this week, the victim of a savage attack.

Dore Lane is closed off to keep people away from the area.

The first 9-1-1 call came from a Missoula police officer who reported a shot had been fired at the house, but not by officers. That call came around 1:30 p.m. today.

Officers and SWAT team members have congregated outside the apartment. A special operations police vehicle is approaching the home carefully, trying to determine what is happening inside.

There is no information available at the present time about who is inside the house, or how this incident began.

The residence has been in the news this week after police were called to the home with a report of screams on Sunday night.

There, officers found a limp and near-dead kitten.

The 4-month-old kitten's owner had allegedly tried to drown her in the toilet, and apparently had thrown the animal against the wall or stomped on its back, crushing the pelvis. Part of the cat's head was shaved.

The animal was later euthanized.

The kitten's owner, Gary Bassett, has not been charged with any crimes, but is the focus of an ongoing police investigation.

The Missoulian has journalists at the scene of the standoff.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 18:00:16 PM »
Sending over many  :hug: Dave.  There are no words i can type here as they would all be banned for the sickening cruelty are animals have to suffer from some humans.  I just can't and won't understand how anyone can hurt another living thing.

You have done so many great things to help cats and animals in need, without you helping them, they would not have great lives like Teddi.  It's like all our wonderful rescues, at times they wonder why they continue, almost have a personal breakdown cause of the pain of seeing such cruelty. They are all so brave and will always be my heros in this world.
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Rest easy darlin Mercy, you are pain free now sweetheart and noone can hurt you anymore.  :'(  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 17:33:08 PM »
Poor Mercy, she is finally out of pain, misery and at peace.   Goddam hellish state of affairs that she had to endure this at all. :(

From one of the online articles:- http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_2773652c-10f1-11df-9184-001cc4c03286.html  this sums up my feelings

"I say hang him. You can quote me on that. Hurt him. Sorry," said Karyn Moltzen, president and founder of AniMeals."[/size]

Here's hoping justice prevails.   

Teddi is e verso cute -  that's a lovely pic Dave - thankfully some are rescued from such plight and live the rest of their lives learning that not all humans are monsters.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 17:37:57 PM by Mollys Slave »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 17:07:40 PM »
I can't readl, just bits was enough, so sickening  :'( :'(  :hug:

RIP sweet Mercy, at peace now xxx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 16:02:52 PM »
that is terrible about teddy and he looks so cute but then we all are cat lovers and every cat is lovely to us,,,,,,,,,,,,so hrad to understand the rewst of the world who want to kill them or caos extrem suffereing  :(

i am going to add our warning triangle to this thread no cos peeps need to know of the distressing things they may read on here.

:hug: :hug: :hug: ccc we all understand how you are feeling

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 15:53:35 PM »
I am very upset, to the point of having a problem holding back the tears. Good God I am upset! Worse still is that in 2005 my soulcat ^Hamlet^ was rushed to Pullman (University of Washington) where ^Mercey^ was taken, and like ^Mercy^ had to be let go the following day. It was the worst day of my life (crap, I am tearing now, ^Hamlet pushed me over the edge).

It is days like this when I feel like all the donations I make and work to help cats goes nowhere. I know it really helps, but the sorrow and sadness of one case such as ^Mercy^ can really destroy the good feelings I have on the work I do. Still, as often as one is lost I help with ones who survive. In the last few years other cases as bad or worse came to me and they were saved. Teddy comes to mind, a sweet kitten in the Chicago area who had some %$^#(*% chop her tail and back legs off! It was horrible. I raised and donated over $3000 for that case. Thank God she pulled through and was adopted a year later and is a happy kitty now.

The attached image is of Teddy just before her adoption.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 15:45:20 PM »
This is heartbreaking, Mercy is at peace now and through donations raised for her she is able to leave a legacy for other needy ones.

Re the list of 60 people wanting to adopt her, I doubt more than 1 or 2 will adopt an alternate kitten,so very sad.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 15:38:57 PM »
That is awful and I'm so sorry that Mercy had to endure such suffering.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 15:34:56 PM »
That is horrific and it seems that over in the States you have the same problem as here when getting someone for animal abuse into court. We have had an incident on Purrs that the RSPCA tryed to get into court but the CPS<<<,Crown Prosectuib Service, said there was insufficient evidence, althought the body was available, just because there was no paperwork signing the cat over to the person concerned!

A member of Purrs transported thae cat to this person on behalf of a rescue on Purrs!

I am so sorry for poor little Mercy RIP little one

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Re: Horrible care of abuse!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 15:27:42 PM »
Dave can ya keep us up to date with her story  :hug: :thanks: :hug:

VERY SAD NEWS I am so upset I can hardly function right now.
A board member of my site from the UK donated $200 and I $300. Now the money will simply go to covering the costs and other animals. :(

Here is the update:

A severely abused kitten named Mercy was put down Wednesday after doctors found her spine was broken.

"Her spine was just smashed," said Missoula Animal Control shelter attendant Barb Parker. "It only showed up on high resolution, but the vertebrae were just squished. He stomped her good and really hurt her back, so there was nothing to do."

The shelter adopted the kitten out only to see her returned this week after a brutal beating left her pelvis smashed and an eye filling with blood. The 4-month-old kitten's owner had allegedly tried to drown her in the toilet, and apparently had thrown the animal against the wall or stomped on its back, crushing the pelvis. Part of the cat's head was shaved.

Under investigation as a felony animal cruelty case, the bashing led to an outpouring of donations and outrage from cities across Montana and places as far away as Texas and Pennsylvania.

"This kind of cruelty is so abhorrent to us that it's hard to even read," wrote Wayne and Karen Anderson of Troy.

"I'm really, really, really upset with that guy," said Larry Dillree, who called from Ovando.

Dillree said reading the story of abuse distressed him so much he almost stayed home from work. He can't fathom such cruelty even though his own feline doesn't come close to having a winning personality.

"We have a cat. She's a grumpy old thing," Dillree said.

"I think he needs to go to the Humane Society and clean out the cages for at least a year and not get paid for it," said Joyce Vogel of Hamilton. "... I just think it's awful."

In online comments, e-mails and voice mails, many members of the public called for the arrest of the single suspect in the case. Some wanted vengeance. The suspect is not in custody, and police said Wednesday the investigation is ongoing.

"The officers need to have probable cause to make an arrest on any charge, and at the time they responded to this call the officers did not feel they had enough information to make an arrest," said police Sgt. Bob Bouchee. "They were also concerned about getting the kitten some immediate medical care."

Police on Tuesday tried to interview suspect Gary Bassett but could not locate him immediately. Bouchee said interviewing other witnesses and processing the crime scene is time consuming, but it's critical to fill out the investigation before recommending charges to the county attorney.

"We have procedures that we have to follow to ensure we protect an individual's Constitutional rights," Bouchee said. "Everyone is presumed innocent. We don't want the case to get dismissed on a technicality or because the investigation is incomplete."

County Attorney Fred Van Valkenburg said Wednesday one of his deputies was reviewing the case. Van Valkenburg said two different charges are possible.

"They key here is whether there's a potential felony involved as opposed to a misdemeanor, and that's what really brings the County Attorney's Office into play in a matter that's occurred within the city limits," Van Valkenburg said.

One possible charge is cruelty to animals, he said. On a first offense the potential sentence is a year in the county jail and a fine of not more than $1,000. The felony offense is aggravated animal cruelty, carrying a penalty of two years in custody of the Department of Corrections and a fine of not more than $2,500.

Charges will be filed once the county attorney's office is convinced there's sufficient evidence, Van Valkenburg said. That means reviewing all reports and deciding if more investigation is needed.

"There's no time limit on that as far as I'm concerned," he said.

The abuse has incensed the community.

"I say hang him. You can quote me on that. Hurt him. Sorry," said Karyn Moltzen, president and founder of AniMeals. "I went to ‘Business After Hours' last night, and that's all everyone was talking about."

Business After Hours is a Missoula Area Chamber of Commerce event. AniMeals is a nonprofit animal shelter in Missoula.

Along with calls for revenge, many people had offered to adopt the kitten. The waiting list for Mercy at Animal Control was 60 names deep, but Mercy is gone and many other cats in Missoula are in need of homes.

"This is not the only kitten that has suffered abuse," Moltzen said. "There are many, many kittens, abused dogs, pets across the board in all three of the shelters here in town that have been abused on some level or another."

More than 60 cats and kittens are available at Animal Control. AniMeals also counts some 60 cats and kittens available for adoption, and adoptions this year have slowed compared with previous years, likely because of the economy. Moltzen herself took in an abused kitty.

"His name is Nemo. He can swim. The whole litter was thrown in the river," Moltzen said.

Nemo was the only survivor.

At the Humane Society of Western Montana, director Lora O'Connor said some 85 cats and kittens await good homes. The average length of stay for a cat is 18 days. Some, such as Ralph, have special needs. He's in the beginning of kidney failure.

"It'll definitely take a special person to adopt him, but we know that somebody in the community will," O'Connor said.

Dr. Paul Schaumberg took care of Mercy at Pruyn Veterinary Hospital.

The hospital treated her for shock. Schaumberg also said she had spinal damage, which was causing her to lose sensation and function in both her rear legs.

Her spinal cord likely had been bumped and popped back into place, he said. Finding out the extent of the damage required an MRI or CAT Scan, not available for animals in Missoula, so Parker transported Mercy to Pullman, Wash.

On Wednesday afternoon, Parker arrived at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital at Washington State University, which has MRI equipment and skilled surgeons.

An MRI showed the damage was too severe to repair, Parker said. In tears, she said she worried people would be upset about the euthanasia, but also said doctors couldn't perform surgery on the kitten because she was still growing.

Late in November, Parker nursed Mercy - then Lovey - back to health when she was found abandoned on a porch. Once she gained strength, Animal Control adopted her out, only to get her back after a citizen overheard a commotion and called police to a neighboring home.

An officer found the sopping wet kitten on the floor. A technician at the vet's office could tell she was still alive because she was purring so loudly, and her kneading and purring despite her sorry state endeared her to caretakers, especially Parker.

"I'm the last person that really loved her," Parker said.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 23:55:12 PM »
 :'( :'( So awful  :'( :'(  I just don't understand people like that.  Think i would end up in prison if i ever saw any cruelty!

So glad money is coming in for Mercy and i so hope she pulls though to have a wonderful loving life with xaring slaves as she deserves.
Dave can ya keep us up to date with her story  :hug: :thanks: :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 23:47:53 PM »
:'( That guy must be on drugs.

Sadly there is a class of humans out there that are most foul. This is a prime example of one. :(

I often see a difference in cruel behaviours that have a kind of sick logic to them, deliberately causing pain for example, and ones that just seem senseless and have no pattern. To me the former group are just evil/ without compassion and the latter group severely mentally ill or perhaps on drugs. I have taken various substances and known many others that have, so I have a little understanding of some of the strange paths the human mind can take in an 'altered reality'. I am not excusing any horrors, but am looking for a medical understanding in order to prevent re-occurrence which is THE most important thing is it not? Mercy's story made me cry, but I cannot undo it through tears.  :'(
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 23:29:22 PM »
Awful story indeed  but from reading your 'copy' from your local press:  It would appear that the funds have been almost reached as of yesterday and no doubt, more local donations will have been given since, and I do not doubt that their target will have been reached now the  media has  run the story:-

"Tuesday, an estimated $2,500 in donations arrived, Parker said, and more money is in the mail. The original cost of surgery was $800 or $900 - but the hospital visit in Pullman is looking like it will cost at least $3,000 not including travel."

The other very positive thing is that there is a waiting list of people wishing to adopt this poor cat, should the vets feel she will make some recovery.  I  hope if it comes to it, that the Animal centre vet the new owners very carefully & pay close attention to inspection visits- as it appears them allowing Mercy to be adopted previously, that that was the person who abused the cat. (If I have read the story correctly?)

Poor cat. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 23:33:28 PM by Mollys Slave »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 20:08:46 PM »
Mod note: just to clarify, this appeal is being made by an individual member, CoolCyberCats, and not on behalf of Purrs.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 19:59:35 PM »
:'( That guy must be on drugs.

Sadly there is a class of humans out there that are most foul. This is a prime example of one. :(

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 19:38:58 PM »
 :'( That guy must be on drugs. Why would you shave the cat's head and then flush it???
Lulu's Catbook

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
More from me
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 19:14:21 PM »
THere is an organization here in Montana USA called Rolling Dog Ranch: http://www.rollingdogranch.org/
They take in special needs animals often. I have sent them an email begging them to take in Mercy if the Animal Control decides to put her to sleep. I told them I am willing to give $1,000 donation to help cover costs IF they end up accepting her.

I feel so useless right now and upset!

David

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Mercy UPDATE for Today
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 19:11:37 PM »
I just called the Missoula Animal Control to find out donation info and ask about an update on Mercy. The told me she was suffering paralysis and was rushed out to Washington State University in Pullman (sadly where I went to have ^Hamlet^ die on my Sept. 2005). Also I was told that today Mercy seemed to have "some" feeling in her rear legs, so that is good news! But still unable to use her back end.

Here is the latest news from the local paper:

Mercy the abused kitten en route to Pullman vet hospital; future uncertain

A hurt spine had the kitten named Mercy headed Wednesday morning to a veterinary hospital in Pullman, Wash.

"She's doing well other than her rear end isn't working right now," said Barb Parker, Missoula Animal Control shelter attendant.

Parker adopted Mercy out only to see her returned this week after a brutal beating left her pelvis smashed and an eye filling with blood. The 4-month-old kitten's owner had allegedly tried to drown her in the toilet, and apparently had thrown the animal against the wall or stomped on its back, causing the pelvis injury. Part of its head also had been shaved.

Under investigation as a felony animal cruelty case, the bashing led to an outpouring of donations and outrage from cities across Montana and places as far away as Texas and Pennsylvania.

The Veterinary Teaching Hospital at Washington State University has MRI equipment and skilled surgeons, Parker said. The hospital is expecting Mercy and Parker, and an MRI should take place late Wednesday afternoon. Parker said a scan should reveal whether Mercy's paralysis is permanent or temporary.

"We want to try as hard as we can so everyone's concern is justified and people feel like we've done the best we could for her," Parker said.

Doctors in Missoula saw signs that Mercy's paralysis might not be permanent, Parker said. If an MRI reveals otherwise, though, Parker said she doesn't believe the kitten can have a good quality of life in a wheelchair.

"This is kind of the way to put that question to rest. If she can't recover, then the best thing to do is to euthanize her," Parker said.

Tuesday, an estimated $2,500 in donations arrived, Parker said, and more money is in the mail. The original cost of surgery was $800 or $900 - but the hospital visit in Pullman is looking like it will cost at least $3,000 not including travel.

Many people offered to adopt the kitten. Animal Control is placing their names on a waiting list and it's 60 names deep.

In the meantime, many other cats and kittens are available for adoption. At Animal Control alone, there are three or four kittens the same age as Mercy, all looking for homes, said officer Mary Johnson. There are grown cats as well.

"There's plenty out there, but with this one, it just tugs on their heartstrings and they want to help," Johnson said.

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Horrible case of abuse!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 19:09:41 PM »
I am going to send in a few hundred dollars to help cover costs on Mercy. If anyone here would like to help by donating anything towards Mercy I am happy to accept a paypal payment to me and I will add the amounts I get to the donation and include your name and information in the letter when I send it in this week. COntact me if you want to help.

Feb. 2, 2010
Kitten rescued after owner allegedly tries to flush it down toilet

At the young age of 4 months, this female cat, named Mercy by her caregivers, has reason to distrust humans. Mercy still purrs when humans approach, in spite of being abandoned at birth and later adopted – only to be allegedly beaten and almost drowned by her new owner late Sunday night. The beating broke the kitten’s pelvis and severely and damaged her left eye.

Help pay for Mercy's surgery, which will cost $800 or $900. Make checks payable to Friends of the Shelter. Mail to: Missoula Animal Control, 6700 Butler Creek Road, Missoula, MT 59808

The smashed-up kitten with tiger stripes is newly named Mercy because she's going to need a lot more of it.

Late in November, the kitty arrived at Missoula Animal Control. She'd been abandoned on a porch with some other young cats, said shelter attendant Barb Parker.

Parker nursed a couple of the kitties back to health. Mercy - then named Lovey - was tiny and most ill.

"She was the most frail of all of the kittens that came in," Parker said Monday.

When she grew strong, Animal Control adopted her out. But now she's back and broken, and she needs more help than ever.

Late Sunday night, neighbors called police to report screaming and yelling at the home of Gary Bassett, Parker said. When police came to the door, the officer encountered a disaster.

"It just looked like a scene out of a horror movie," said Parker, who visited with the police.

The lid on a toilet was broken and water covered the floor. Not far away, Parker said, an officer saw a kitten in a wet heap on the floor and figured she was dead. She also said the scene suggested the nature of the struggle.

"The fellow that had adopted her had tried to flush her down the toilet," Parker said.

Around 2 a.m. Monday, the police took the kitten to Pruyn Veterinary Hospital. Her head was shaved for no apparent reason. One of her eyes is red, and Parker said at first the people trying to help her thought she had a fractured skull.

"Amazingly enough, she doesn't," Parker said. "But her pelvis is just completely smashed. He either threw her against the wall or stomped her."

So the kitten, now named Mercy, is going to need surgery, and that's going to cost some $800 or $900. Parker also said Animal Control, which will pay for the surgery, needs help with the expense.

The shelter counted some 63 cats Monday, and it's no secret Missoula is often overrun with cats. Why not put Mercy down?

"If you went and met the kitty, you'd understand why. She purrs and kneads the whole time you're talking to her," Parker said.

In fact, when the 4-month-old kitten first arrived at the vet, she was nearly comatose and hypothermic. Parker said the technician heard vital signs, and it wasn't her heart beating.

"I can tell you she's alive because she's purring to beat the band," Parker said the tech announced.

At the vet late Monday afternoon, Animal Control officer Judy Vernier checked on Mercy. She was wrapped in a towel in an incubator. One paw with an IV was wrapped in medical tape. Her fur was matted in places, one eye was red, and her hind end was misshapen.

"It looks like he probably stomped her. Her pelvis is all broken. Her hip ball is broken off," Vernier said.

Surgery wasn't yet scheduled, but one thing doesn't need fixing. Mercy's spirit isn't broken.

"She talks to you and she kneads the blanket when you talk with her," Vernier said.

She said charges are pending, and felony aggravated animal cruelty is possible. Bassett was not taken into custody.

The kitten was adopted out to Bassett on Jan. 7, Parker said. Animal Control keeps a "do not adopt" list of people who shouldn't take home animals. Some refuse to license dogs or adopt animals only to immediately return them. She said Bassett's name was not on the "do not adopt" list.

Vernier said Animal Control also screens people who want to adopt. Despite their attempts, some pet owners get through who shouldn't. And Vernier has little sympathy for people who are cruel to animals.

"They asked us years ago if we wanted to carry guns, and I turned it down. It'd just be too tempting," Vernier said.

People interested in donating should make checks payable to Friends of the Shelter. Parker said it's a fund Animal Control uses to help people with unexpected medical bills, spaying and neutering, and long-term medications.

The police detective investigating the case could not be reached for comment. Bassett also could not be reached for comment.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 16:03:37 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Link to CatChat