Author Topic: Comfortable ambient room temerature for cats?  (Read 9206 times)

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
Re: Comfortable ambient room temerature for cats?
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 21:48:28 PM »
Our Thermostat is set at 20 - but if we are chliiy we put the fire on , and then its a mad feline dash for the best spot!

I remember thinking i'd quite happily move into Kirst's fireplace  :evillaugh:

Our heating's been on since 5pm and it's currently only 19 degrees  :-[

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 21:16:24 PM »
Our building has an automatic control for heating, the heat runs only certain hours in the evening and morning but our building is very well insulated (unfortunately not quite as well in the summer though) and it easily gets to about 25°C also in December and January, wee too hot even for me who like just wearing T shirt and be able to move about freely without shivering around the house.  The heating was turned on starting this evening, I was wondering why I started sweating so much just sitting around :Crazy:  Oliver had started digging himself under the cover these days but now he is in his regular position on top of the bed, no covers, all stretched and with tummy exposed... he doesn't seem to mind some extra heat :innocent:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 17:05:58 PM »
Our Thermostat is set at 20 - but if we are chliiy we put the fire on , and then its a mad feline dash for the best spot!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 15:24:41 PM »
 :thanks: guys for the condensation tips.

We do have the bathroom window open when bathing, but opening windows when cooking is a nightmare as Milo will try and get out of them, we don't have a door in our kitchen either so can't shut them out.

We want to replace our windows next year as they aren't great - I'm sure you're not meant to lay in bed and feel a breeze  :shocked:

We had real condensation issues in our previous flat, to the point where we had dreadful mould.  :sick:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »
Our heating is on from 05.15am to 07.30am and then from 16.45pm to 20.30pm all the radiators are at 2 and the Clan seem happy with this!  The Border Collies are to hot and sleep on the tiled floor!

We had a very heavy frost this morning and now have lovely sunshine we also have the bonus of the conservatory and it is sitting at 30 degrees currently and keeps one end of the house warmer

If its really cold we put the electric blankets on for the cats through the day - they are self timing so go off after 4 hours but the beds retain the heat!

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »
:Crazy: :Crazy: No wonder Milo always wants to get in bed with us our overnight temp is 16 for the heat to come on  :Crazy: :Crazy:

We usually have it set at 17-18 at this time of year and 20-21 when its gets to minus temps outside.

Thinking about it though, we get condensation on our double glazing and I wonder if its cause the house isn't hot enough.

Heating at a fairly constant temperature holds the water in the air but it doesn't get rid of it, only ventilation (or a dehumidifier) will do that. The water is produced by drying clothes indoors, breathing, showering and cooking. I have terrible condensation and have to open the windows daily year round - in my case it's a combination of the lifestyle factors mentioned and having metal window frames which act as cold bridges.

Noah slept between the two pillows for several hours last night which I assume means it was too cold for him in the living area!  :Luv:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
Our radiators all have individual controls and are set to 2 except Findlays room which is set to 3 and the cats which is off. As for cats comfortable temperature it will totally depend on the cat, some cats like it toasty warm and others would cry if you mentioned heating

My cats have no heating on at all in their bedroom and their window is as open as it can be without them escaping out of it and it remains this way all year round. The downside is I get whinged at in winter that the house is getting cold as a result of internal walls not having insulation and their room going into minus figures but I'm using this to my advantage to try and get the cat house and run built in time for next winter as then I highly doubt the cats will want to sleep inside which means I can have their window closed and heating on in their room to keep the house warmer!
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
Thinking about it though, we get condensation on our double glazing and I wonder if its cause the house isn't hot enough.

Do you open your bathroom window (at least after a bath or shower: I keep ours open permanently unless it's really cold outside) and your kitchen window while cooking?

There's a good explanation of the causes of condensation and how to control it at http://www.diydata.com/problem/condensation/condensation.php
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 11:36:42 AM »
Yes I think that is the case cos I used to have it really bad but it stopped as soon as I had heating on higher and 24/7 during the winter.

The house is now much drier and warmer and the condensatiom means that damp is building up

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »
 :Crazy: :Crazy: No wonder Milo always wants to get in bed with us our overnight temp is 16 for the heat to come on  :Crazy: :Crazy:

We usually have it set at 17-18 at this time of year and 20-21 when its gets to minus temps outside.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 08:05:05 AM »
The temperature must have dropped a bit outside overnight as I had it on 20 and it was actually on this morning but the room feels quite warm so I have dropped it to 19 - trial & error I suppose - it is pointless wasting money energy for the sake of it?  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »
Dorian sleeps outside most of the time, Feliz is always on top of the radiator, so cats have different needs too.
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 06:36:58 AM »
Ours is always about 19/20 degrees and that's enough for us couldn't have it any higher but I always have warmish clothes on.  Having said that my dad's is only about 15 or less (he can't believe we have ours at that temp) and it's boiling in his house so I think his therm. is dodgey  :shify:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 22:09:46 PM »
Well I am turning the thermostat on the heater back down to 20 as I am too warm  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 21:43:50 PM »
Of course what's to say that our thermostats are accurate and calibrated correctly to the number on it?  Mine is usually set about 21 but if I were to put a 'real' thermometer against it, would it say 21?  Or would it say 18?  Or 25?  Similarly, those who have it whacked up to 25 - is it really, or is it really about 22? 

Answers on a postcard.  I know when it's too cold for Geoffrey at night as he stabs me on the nose to lift the duvet and he sneaks in and sleeps in the bed with us.  My mother would be horrified  :evillaugh: 

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 21:31:50 PM »
Well we're oop North in Liverpool and I'm with C, our thermostat never goes over 21 and we NEVER have the heating on over night. In the Winter it comes on timer 6am-7am, 1pm-2pm then we generally just put it on while we're in in the evening.

The animals have enough fleecey blankets, beds etc they won't be cold  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Comfortable ambient room temperature for cats?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 21:31:11 PM »
Although cats do have a  higher body temperature than us?

and also fur coats  :evillaugh:

My thermostat is usually at around 21 deg which is comfortable for me most of the time - cats are currently huddled around the still warm kettle on the hob  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 21:20:44 PM »
I have no house thermostat just a thermometer, although some radiators have thermostats and I am not other people and have a skin problem.

80 F degrees is 27C and I am in pain in any less just sitting and most of my time is sitting. Like Den i am in shorts and tshirt cos thats best for my skin.

Its very drafty here for me and havent been in a house where its not cos my skin is so sensitive.

Our weather is also very different to London and much colder

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 21:18:21 PM »
I don't know what ours is  :scared:

I know at the moment it is the perfect temperature for shorts and t-shirt which is how I like it  :)

Me too!  ;D Must be a Sci-Fi thing....What about yours Horza?  :evillaugh: :hug:

We dont have any heating on anywhere else apart from downstairs, the upper floors are warmer that down all the time!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 21:18:47 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 21:05:33 PM »
70 is freezing for a house and I need 80 to feel even a little bit comfortable

70F isn't 'freezing' - that's 32F - and it's a very acceptable ambient temperature for most folks.  71F at a pinch.  I can only think that your thermostats must be malfunctioning, Gill.  I - and most people I know - couldn't sit in a room heated to 80F without throwing open all the windows!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 20:54:09 PM »
I don't know what ours is  :scared:

I know at the moment it is the perfect temperature for shorts and t-shirt which is how I like it  :)

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 20:50:34 PM »
Unless you live in a perfectly insulated house, which most dont, and i certainly dont 21 is only 21 where you measure it as 21......move the thermoneter and you will have a different temperature.

70 is freezing for a house and I need 80 to feel even a little bit comfortable and my heating is already on 24/7 unless we have a very sunny day.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 20:44:40 PM »
Doesn't make sense as 21 is 21 wherever you are and surely only wind-chill could make a difference?

It is milder here in the south. I remember many moons ago, I went up to Sunderland with a friend for the weekend and didn't take a coat as it was warm in London. I nearly froze to death up there although saw people in T-shirts  :Crazy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 20:26:04 PM »
I must be secretly longing to live in Hawaii then as I have mine between 25-27, any lower and it just wont register.... :scared:

We do live in the house differently to as what was intended though...Our living room is meant to be on the middle floor and we cant be doing with that so have used the dinning room for a living room which is downstairs!  :shocked:

Thermostat is upstairs!  :shocked:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 20:16:50 PM »
It has been really mild lately but once winter is here, the heating will be on 24/7 until around April/May  :evillaugh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 20:02:51 PM »
I keep our thermostat at 19C - I turn it up to 20C if it is really cold outside. Blip has a Snugglesafe overnight as I have the central heating turned off completely from 22.15 - 05.15 all year round.

21 is over 70F, Gill: it's very warm for a house.

As you say, Mark, cats have a much higher body temperature than we do: hence my assiduous use of the heat pad for Blip.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 19:17:19 PM »
I will give her an extra degree  :evillaugh: - I am just aware that at night ATm, if I change it from 20 to 21, it actually comes on for a while  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 19:15:00 PM »
18-21 is bloomin freezing ands my cats have a much higher room temperature than that.

It also needs to be remembered that the room temperature is not the same all over and when my front room says 80, the floor in the bay in winter will freeze water and the radiator will be on full blast cos that side of room isnt warm either.

When the cats are warm they lie in the bay and when cool they lie on a seat near the radiator LOL

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Comfortable ambient room temperature for cats?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 19:09:29 PM »
Although cats do have a  higher body temperature than us?

I saw these - although they are really for babies  :evillaugh: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Baby-Child-Kittens-Cats-Nursery-Safety-Room-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ390104440497QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Baby_safety_Thermometers_ET
I can never understand people who keep their houses in the high 20s as you really feel the cold when you go out - also the cats will probably get dandruff if it is too hot?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 19:15:43 PM by Mark »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 19:07:19 PM »
on my 'Keep Warm This Winter' chart from Age Concern OK is from 18c to 21C, and that is for inactive elderly folk, so 20c should be ample for cats
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Comfortable ambient room temerature for cats?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 18:56:02 PM »
We only have one rad in our basement which isn't enough to keep the room warm when it gets cold. We have decided to only use the wood burner weekends and holidays as it is a lot of work to keep it going and the heat isn't really controllable. The new heater has a climate control. ATM, I have it set on 20o so it isn't really coming on as the rad is managing OK. As it gets colder, the heater will kick in. I am happy wearing a jumper indoors but don't want Alice to get cold. She has a heated bed but I want her to be comfortable but at the same time, don't want to have the room baking hot - any ideas?

Is 20 mean?  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat