Author Topic: How much food will you let your cats have as my bengal eats so much?  (Read 9172 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: How much food will you let your cats have as my bengal eats so much?
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 12:49:01 PM »
yep definitely on topic, we do start drifting to all sorts of subjects in conversations though sometimes you'd be amazed :evillaugh:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »
Sorry to you all as I am a newbie on here so don't know directly where to post.  :-[  :rofl:

You're on topic as far as I can see, lynxynero  :)

And in any case, as Bazsmum points out, we're pretty relaxed about people meandering off topic on Purrs  :rofl:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 11:45:46 AM »
Sorry to you all as I am a newbie on here so don't know directly where to post.  :-[  :rofl:

No need for sorry, you have kept this food related!  ;)

We have a tendency to go off topic on some posts....they end up looking like chinese whispers!  :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline lynxynero

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »
Hi,

I just checked the tin, it can be fed  as complementry food,I contacted the applaws team in the past and they said it was ok to feed as I told them I was also feeding him royal canin dry at the time but now I have also switched to the applaws dry as he only eats less of it and not piling on the weight.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »
Hi janetk,

I also feed my cat the applaws dry in the mornings and I also feed him half a tablet of taurine tablet a day.Both the wet can and the dry have essential nutrients added in so I guess it would even it out  :Luv:

;D Yep I read that hun that's why I asked whether it was just wet that was complementary I don't feed mine Applaws only rarely, (they seem to like the chicken sometimes but that's it - they are fussy  :evillaugh:) but I was sure I'd read that it was complementary somewhere but thought it may just be the wet

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 22:42:15 PM »
I could eat the wet Applaws on a salad myself it smells so gorgeous.

Your scheme linxynero sounds good & monitored.

If I only gave Inka (Bengal) 1/2 a tin at a time there would be war! He hoovers up at least 1 1/2 tins or pouches 4 times a day + dry at night!

I worm him regular & thought that the continuous supply of mice he brings in may have something to do with his ferocious appetite.

2 weeks after treatment he is still the same. Ah well !!

Offline lynxynero

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 22:26:10 PM »
Hi janetk,

I also feed my cat the applaws dry in the mornings and I also feed him half a tablet of taurine tablet a day.Both the wet can and the dry have essential nutrients added in so I guess it would even it out  :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 14:31:54 PM »
Applaws dry is complete, its just the applaws adult wet that isnt.  :)

yes I thought it may just be the wet   ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 13:35:46 PM »
Applaws dry is complete, its just the applaws adult wet that isnt.  :)

The applaws cat food has a very high chicken content so your cat won't be as hungry than the ordinary commercial cat food.The more commercial cat food was not very filling for my cat,

Thats true, it does depends on the type of food, whether it contains fillers (cereals/rice etc) or not. But its also, like others have said, to do with energy levels and calories they use up.

Recommended amounts are 2-4% of bodyweight - mind you I've never worked that out for any of mine, I tend to just feed by 'eye'  i.e. a dollop (or two!) on the plate LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »
Don't you have to be careful with ust feeding Applaws I think it's just a complementary food and not complete, or is that just the wet?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 13:06:24 PM by Janeyk »

Offline lynxynero

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
Hi, I also have a one year old bengal neuteured male and I can understand how much your cat eats as my cat is the same and he always wants food all the time.

I realised that the type of food I feed my cat has something to do with it, I used to feed my cat Royal canin but my cat always seemed to have wanted more food and I was way overfeeding him more than the recommended amount and the frustration I had of wanting him not to overeat and the guilt thinking that maybe I was too cruel not to feed him when he wanted me to,I soon realised that it was bad for him and he was starting to pile on the weight so I tried very hard until I came across this cat food called applaws.

I feed him one can  and one and a 1/2  cans of the applaws chicken can and I feed him the dry applaws chicken 30g in the morning. ( He used to wake me up wanting more food in the morning but I was very surprised when he started to eat this and not wanting more)

here is his eating regime

5.00am dry applaws 30g in timer
11.00am half a can of applaws
6.00pm half a can of applaws
11.00pm half a can of applaws.

The applaws cat food has a very high chicken content so your cat won't be as hungry than the ordinary commercial cat food.The more commercial cat food was not very filling for my cat, he is a bengal and pain in the butt not to mention that he is very choosey too. :tired:

Hope this helps for you  ;D
lisa

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
My Zebedee Boo (Bengal) eats for England, he's a right greedy piggie. But he runs it off.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 22:18:19 PM »
Thankyou for your replies. I feel more reassured now.

'Only' 5 pouches of quality food consumed today... a diet day!  ;D

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:35 AM »
My 12-year-old Birman boy, Spice, is a big eater. I leave James Wellbeloved Senior down for him all the time because its dry and then in the evening he gets half a pouch of Felix. Some days he's eaten all of his James Wellbeloved as well as his sister's and still licks the pattern off the plate when he has his Felix :innocent: Although he's not fat, I complained profusely that he ate far too much, until last month when he had a bout of cystitis and absolutely refused to eat. I sat up all night trying to get him to eat something, anything, but he wouldn't and I was so worried. I really though that he was just going to starve himself to death because he felt so ill. Imagine my relief when the medication started working and he started to eat again! :) Now, I only worry if the cats don't eat enough rather than eating too much. Weight can be reduced with calorie-controlled diets if a cat gets too fat, but it's very difficult to get a cat to put on weight if it is refusing to eat.

If your Bengal is burning off all his energy, then I wouldn't worry too much about how much he eats. If he starts to pile weight on, you'll need to restrict his intake of food. Try tricking him into still eating 6 pouches a day, but give 6 pouches of light-calorie food rather than normal food :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 13:15:14 PM »
It depends on the brand of food too, as some contain more calories than others.  I feed approx 3 85-100g pouches per day plus treats and that seems to maintain their weight.  If she's not putting on too much weight, then I wouldn't worry.  If it's costing too much, then I would limit her to 3 wet meals a day and leave the dry down to force her to nibble on the dry if she's still hungry.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
On average they say 400g per day, how big are the pouches as some only have 85g so that would be 90g less to consider also!  ;)

I really would not worry as he is obviously using it up!  :Luv: :hug:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 19:02:57 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:09 AM »
my bengal Tilly eats a fair bit but is full of energy and so not fat - her weight is 5.5 kg which the vet thinks is perfect, like blackcat says its only a problem if the weight creeps up

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »
If a cat is happy, healthy and energetic (and bengals can be very energetic) then I would not be too concerned about how much they eat. If they gain weight, then yes, it is a problem. If they don't then they may just be using up more calories than the rest of your cats and so eating more. When I was a child I used to eat huge quantities of food and not gain weight, because I was always on the move. Nothing to worry about there except the food bills I would have thought.

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
How much food will you let your cats have as my bengal eats so much?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
Yesterday I made a count of how many pouches or small tins Inka my silver Bengal boy ate in the day & the answer was 6 + finishing of all what was left from my other 5. Far too much I know, but he is a hungry cat.

He always desperately wants food~like he's never eaten in his life before.

I have regularly wormed him but on my last visit to the vets I ask an alternative to give him. Has it made any difference~~~~~Nooooo.

There are various types of biscuits down all the time but he refuses to eat them, only later in the evening.

He is an very active strong healthy boy & not overweight so should I just put his eating habits down to that?

Do you have any that eat for Britain & how much?

Link to CatChat