Author Topic: The first 80% meat/grain free dry cat food in a supermarket?  (Read 8627 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: The first 80% meat/grain free dry cat food in a supermarket?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
I was surprised how high the phosphorus content is - 1.6%  :Crazy: - I also looked at the bag of Orijen fish and that says min 1.4%. This is compared to Hil's adult with chicken 0.7% and K/D 0.27% - Orijen claim that their food is fine for CRF but I won't be giving it to Willow any more. Encore/Applaws is very oily so I did a kitchen trick. I put a measure of Ipakitine in a plastic bag with some Encore and shook it which coated the biscuits  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 16:43:13 PM »
It has passed the taste test with Alice  ;D

She reacted as if it was a plate of Salmon  :Crazy: - unlike the fish Orijen which she turned her nose up at.

Ditto with Willow. OK it isn't low phosphorus but she is barely eating and you can count the bones in her back so this is better than not eating at all  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 16:46:34 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 14:35:28 PM »
They should do as ours isn't a big store. I go there if a need a quick shop (or catfood is on offer  :evillaugh: ) and Tesco for a proper shop.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 13:59:38 PM »
- encore, its generally the same bar some flavour differences, same company, same factory, same quality of ingredients just sold in sainsburys  :evillaugh:

Yep, thats what I understood - exactly the same product as Applaws -  both the dry and the wet. This will be quite useful as I have to travel to Jollyes or PAH to get the Applaws dry. My local Sainsbury's already stock the Encore wet, so hope they'll stock the dry too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
I heard that Sainsburys didnt want to sell applaws so got their own version - encore, its generally the same bar some flavour differences, same company, same factory, same quality of ingredients just sold in sainsburys  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
I had seen the wet in there for ages but it was the first time I had seen the dry.

Just looked at their website and Encore dry is new. It is the same company as Applaws (and World's Best litter), MPM products.

Looking at he website, it seems it is Exclusive to Sainsbury's at the moment.

You don't get all the extras that Orijen has such as Omega oils, Glucosamine etc.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:00:35 AM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
I thought I'd seen a wet version - didn't realise it was the same stuff

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 10:37:53 AM »
Encore wet has been sold in sainsburys (and elsewhere?) for a while.  I'm not sure if it is the same as applaws as it comes in different flavours (they do a chicken and ham which applaws don't do).  It sounds cheaper than applaws.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:27:17 AM »
Sorry  :evillaugh: Sainsbury's - it was about £4.60 for 800grams so about the same as purina one.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 10:12:40 AM »
where did you get it?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
The first 80% meat/grain free dry cat food in a supermarket?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
I bought a bag of Encore dry to try this morning. I hadn't seen it before - Is it new? - I wonder why Applaws use a different name when it is sold in supermarkets?  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:51:13 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat