Author Topic: Outside access Poll  (Read 8493 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: Outside access Poll
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 14:00:01 PM »
Oh Harry posted before my time, he told me what to say  :rofl:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 13:56:23 PM »
I would rather know she is nice and safe at home waiting for me :-)

What about if it becomes apparant no amount of toys would make Sophie content to be an indoor only cat? Sorry to be abrupt, but I agree with Debsymiller. Yes, I want my cats to be safe; but I also want to know they're getting everything they require. And that includes mental stimulation as well.

....and the point is???  :evillaugh:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 13:54:24 PM »

What about if it becomes apparant no amount of toys would make Sophie content to be an indoor only cat? Sorry to be abrupt, but I agree with Debsymiller. Yes, I want my cats to be safe; but I also want to know they're getting everything they require. And that includes mental stimulation as well.

Thats my point, even tho Im getting the garden done I could never see me keeping Harry in. He is the most active one and likes to go out and hunt ( which I hate! ) but for his sake I couldnt keep him in if it meant him being unhappy.

My others are fine being kept in, Ted just sits on the wall and Lyla likes to go have a poop in others gardens, so with them 2 I feel there safety comes over their enjoyment of getting out. They have been contained within the garden before and it didnt bother them, where as with Harry he would cause a riot.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 13:57:57 PM by ccmacey »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 13:34:24 PM »
When I lived in Scarborough I used to let Baz out....he is a nosey cat and got stuck in a lock up for 13 days!  :scared: That made me decide he should stay in for his own safety....

Now I have moved Ive got a cat-proofed yard and they go out there but are still in overnight as I put the flap on indoor access only when its late...and that's approx 1am!  ;)

Have to say if I had the perfect scenario I would allow my cats out to roam but..... :sigh:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 13:35:22 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 13:02:48 PM »
I would think most problems happen through the day when there is more traffic, it really makes me cringe when I see cats near roads and it can be dangerous for the drivers.  I know it can be difficult if you have a cat who wants to be out all the time, our very first cat Penny was like that so thankfully she was safe outside here, I know when we have been looking at houses the first thing we say is oh we wouldn't be able to have cats here, too near roads and we really wouldn't I'd never rest.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 12:58:22 PM »
that is the point I have been getting to with the boys

So far neither have tried to get outside and are very content... don't even spend over much time looking out the windows... but they are just soooo full of energy and I am a big believer that cats belong outside, but with the threats Mabel has received and how nervy/scared neighbourhood cats are from the abuse of teenagers plus the various road dangers I don't feel happy letting them roam freely, especially since Misha has reduced hearing in one ear...

Before the threats on Mabel were made I was just going to build a large cat pen for the boys, but to keep her safe and happy too we decided to do 3/4 of a large garden giving 600 square feet of safe outdoor area as a safe compromise.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
Hum Interesting results. 2 of mine roam free from a cat proofed garden but thats going to be getting fixed soon, and no Im not going to keep them in lol

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 12:45:48 PM »
I couldn't let my lil sophie out I would be worried alllll the time lol I hate the thought of why coils happen to her I would rather know she is nice and safe at home waiting for me :-)

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »
I too get mine in at night. Come 9:30pm i start rounding them up and close the cat flap. God knows what my nieghbers think to me shouting all the cats in with all the different and frequently new names.  :rofl:
Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »
We've not cat proofed so ours have supervised garden access.

Jess I really don't think would go anywhere, Milo however you have to keep an eye on as he does like to climb the palm tree.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
My boys go out in the catproofed garden only, they spent the first year of their lives as indoor only and when I moved to a place with a garden suitable for catproofing they started going out then. Even though it's catproofed I still don't let them out at night.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »
just get them in at night as the majority of problems happen then anyway.

While I agree that cats must be kept in at night, I cannot agree that is the time of the majority of problems, most of the cruelty cases (by humans),  cases where dogs have attacked cats (sadly far too many) are in the daytime and many of the RTA's I hear about are during the day time too. I write as someone who perhaps received 200 calls a week. Not all about the above obviously.

Also if we did not home indoor only we would home far fewer cats as a large % of requests for cats nowadays are for indoor only.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »
we are in the process of cat proofing our garden which is big and awkward and taking longer than expected... but if it takes 2 months to do it right then it will still be *done* properly and securely

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 10:23:28 AM »
Blip is allowed out into the back garden(s) but not through the front door.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »
We have one of those too Rosella. Actively broke  the cat flap when we locked it, little hooligan!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 10:14:42 AM »
the 2 babies are currently indoor only
their mom (as relative newcomer) is allowed out any time between 9am and 4 pm , then about 7pm to 9pm
the other 3 have 24/7 indoor/outdoor access

We are debating whether to alter the routine to keep all 6 in at night when the babies are finally allowed out but atm the juggling of routines is too complicated to do that.  Freddie is the main issue. He gets very upset if he can't get in and out at will. 

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »
Mine are free to roam but I do get them in for the night as soon as it gets dark. I have always done this but my view about it has enhanced since starting my work for CP as, as a charity we will only rehome a cat as indoor only if it has a medical reason for being so or because the cat has always chosen not to go out. As a branch we take our advice from the CP HQ at  the NCC and I personally agree with them. In an ideal world, I would live in a mansion with acres of catproofed garden but I don't and doubt I ever will so for the moment at least, they get to have their fun outside in the daytime and stay in with us at night. We did ensure that the first thing on the list of requirements when finding our house was 'cat safe, quiet area' though.
I totally appreciate people's reason's for not letting them outside and would never tell anyone they were wrong for doing it with their cat (Unless it was someone who had lied to me when I homed a cat to them) but I like to see it from the cat's point of view, not just my own and I know how much my boys benefit from the outside world. This is a huge debate and really Beth, you are the only one who can decide. If it is as nice and safe area as you say though, I think they would benefit hugely from outside access- just get them in at night as the majority of problems happen then anyway. :)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:32:09 AM »
Like Ela I am very strict about this, we're lucky in that we have a nice large, safe garden and old cats tend to not bother about being out, if the cats did happen to get round the front it is the end of a cul-de-sac and the back garden has a high fence but a little hole the ferals get through as it is just allotments behind so they are safe.  I have only let mine out when I am outside anyway, even when we had younger cats.  Yesterday it was lovely and we were outside so I called Byron out and she just sat with us and had a walk round and if I'm pegging washing out she will follow and have a walk round but comes in when I call her. 
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:28:49 AM »
My boy is indoor only, mainly due to the fact that he has FIV, but to be honest I think even with any future cats I have, they will either be indoor only, or when I can afford to buy somewhere, a place with a small enough garden to cat-proof it completely.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:45 AM »
My older cat goes outside but th kittens are still in i have started letting them out on the front garden only if i'm with them but i am debating when or even if i will let them out on their own as they're only 7+8 months old.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:06:22 AM »
I would not dream of allowing my cats out unless I had a cat safe garden and that is impossible as we have a double gate at the bottom of the garden which is used to bring the bikes in. My reasons for keeping in are on the indoor/outdoor debate on our Cats Protection site details below.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:03:23 AM »
All mine are free to roam exccept my new Persians they will only have supervised garden access untill hubby can build a run. We are in the middle of an estate and no roads run past our house and they have lots of trees to climb and green area to roll around on.  ;D
Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
Mine are free to roam also

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:56:37 AM »
My guys are free to roam.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Outside access Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »
Just thought it'd be interesting to see how many do what. :) Am still debating what to do with my girlies when they're bigger, as where i live is a really safe place for cats to roam, i'm just not sure i'm brave enough to let them. :shy:

Link to CatChat