Author Topic: Cat litter question  (Read 8359 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Cat litter question
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 19:45:29 PM »
I used clay ultra-clumping for a while but find it heavy and not very effective. I started using Cats Best OKO clumping around 6 months ago and would never use anything else. It clumps really well so easy to get the soiled litter out. Weighs a fraction of clay. Easy and bio-friendly compared to clay. They say it can be flushed but it can block the toilet. It is easy to bag & bin although at the moment, I throw soiled litter on our wood burner.

It is really cost effective an I would say one bag lasts around 6 weeks (for one tray)

I would never go back to clay - so much so that I have 1 1/2 unused containers of clean n easy that I am planning to dump as I hate using it so much. I bought it a while ago when PAH were out of stock of Cats Best and it was BOGOF but I wish I hadn't bothered.

There are also health issues with ultra clumping clay http://www.thelighthouseonline.com/articles/clump.html   http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-dangers-of-clumping-cat-litter.html- just some of the many articles about it.

If you look on Zooplus, it gets 5 star reviews (including one from me)

Some does end up on the floor but I find it easy to sweep up as it is light, whereas clumping clay litter when wet is disgusting and sticks to everything (like any wet clay)

I would say Cats Best Oko is the best ever cat product I have tried  :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 19:51:10 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 19:43:05 PM »
My guys love Asda's clay litter, they hate it when we have tried them on anything else.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 19:40:15 PM »
Chick Crumb, (I really believe you need hooded trays with chick crumb)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 19:27:56 PM »
Some cats arent fussy so see what he likes, if he doesnt mind wood then cats best oko is very good, if he is fussier then a fine clay clumping litter like golden grey. Tbh all litter tracks, these 2 are both pretty good.

Normal wood pellets turn to dust and non clumping clay mixes up and i find it a nightmare to scoop everything out, so i would be binning the lot on a daily basis so i prefer clumping, its much easier having 6 enthusiastic tray diggers  :tired:

The most important thing about clumpnig litter is to keep it deep  ;)

Should also mention that worlds best is a good performing litter which you can get in cheaper form as chick crumb

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 19:15:28 PM »
I used to use Golden Grey but after trying Cats Best I would say it is 1000% better at odour control.

Really?  I don't get any odour at all when using Golden grey.  Only if I'm sitting next to the tray when they do a poo, will I smell anything at all.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 19:06:04 PM »
I used to use Golden Grey but after trying Cats Best I would say it is 1000% better at odour control. Tracks less too but that's just my opinion.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 18:59:26 PM »
I saw the Sainsburys ultra clumping litter today - good price. Does it neutralise odours too?

It's not the best for odout control, although I do only smell anything if they've just done a poo.  That's why I prefer the golden grey from zooplus as it is better for odour control (and cheaper), but in every other way the sainsburys one is pretty good.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 18:55:11 PM »
I use Cats Best OKO, it's biodegradeable and flushable (if you're brave enough to try), clumps and never whiffs, well not for aaaaaages and lasts forever. there's a few of us on here who are devotees to it, Mark I know off the top of my head uses it. I also have a mat, as I have a hooded tray so he has to step out to the mat, it catches a fair few granules, certainly a lot less to be found on the sofa and in the bed than previously  :sick: It is also quite cheap.

Do a thread search and you will find a few discussions about it, they are what prompted me to try it.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 18:09:45 PM »
I saw the Sainsburys ultra clumping litter today - good price. Does it neutralise odours too?

We will be keeping the main litter tray in the hallway, tucked away, so as he would step out of it, he would walk on the mat and then across the hallway still on a rough mat that I often hoover so I'm thinking that would be a fair amount of walking on 'safe' mats before jumping on my £600 sofa (that admittedly Jameson used as his scratching post!)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 18:06:38 PM »
I use fine grain clumping litter.  I generally buy it from zooplus (golden grey) as it's cheap to buy the big sacks from there, but when I can't get that I use sainsburys ultra clumping.

I disagree about mats being a waste of time.  I have one and an amazing amount of litter comes off their feet as they walk across it.  They don't need to specifically wipe their feet.  At first they used to jump across it (and Jaffa still has a habit of jumping out of the tray rather then stepping out of it  ;D) but as they got used to it they stopped purposely avoiding it and it does work.  It's a worthwhile investment imo. 

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 17:57:03 PM »
Ok. Do you need to change the wooden litter daily? As on the other ones it tells you to scoop the clumps and refill, but then clean everything out weekly.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 17:54:17 PM »
any fine textured material will track. It sticks to the fur between your cat's toes. Mats are, to my mind, waste of time. They assume the cat will wipe its feet, which it won't. More likely to be dug over and torn by over-vigorous cleanups of smelly poos in my house ...

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 17:52:25 PM »
Thanks.

Have you heard of Clean n' Tidy? This is what it says on the packet 'Clumping Adult Cat Litter 7kg by Clean 'N' Tidy is 99% dust free, keeping paw prints to a minimum for a clean home'

I liked the sound of that but then again I don't know how much to a minimum the paw prints would be kept!

We also looked at a 'litter tray mat' that apparently helps absorbing up the 'dirt' on their paws as they climb out of the tray. Anyone knows if they are any good?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 17:47:14 PM »
I have to differ with the lady at the cat place. I find catsan and others quite messy and they track through the house and require full replacing far more frequently than a wood-based litter. But then, my cats have access to outdoors during the day and will only use the tray at night or if it is too cold or rainy out. They are using it at present despite full sunshine during the day because the frost has not thawed for a few days ...

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Cat litter question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 17:42:39 PM »
So...

What cat litter is popular amongst the furries and what litter isn't?

When I volunteered at the cats home they used the wooden pellet type litter, but a woman at PAH today said Catsan (or another similar clumping brand) is more cost-effective. I also saw another brand (Clean n' Tidy) that I liked the look/sound of.

I got a small bag today of the wooden pellet variety only because I saw that in Busters picture so thought it would be better to use something he is used to first, and then gradually change if need be.

We bought a medium (well, it's quite large actually) tray as well, and got a smaller one somewhere too.

I feel quite clueless as when we had Jameson he didn't like using the tray, but admittedly his ex owner used the cheapest variety of cat litter so maybe that was why. Regardless we ended up not keeping a tray for him inside as he would cry at the door to be let outside and not wanting to use his tray indoors.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thank you!

Link to CatChat