Author Topic: Cat litter question  (Read 8349 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Cat litter question
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 22:56:04 PM »
We find the wooden pellets work really well and last a long time too.  We just pick out the solids and then sieve the rest with a garden sieve to seperate the used from the clean.  

I used to do that when I used the wood pellets - it does make them last much longer doesnt it?  ;D

Offline Funky Feline

• Kitten
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 22:24:57 PM »
We find the wooden pellets work really well and last a long time too.  We just pick out the solids and then sieve the rest with a garden sieve to seperate the used from the clean.  We don't really get many saw dust trails, although Hazel likes to take the pellets out and play with them.  I found one in my shoe the other morning!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2009, 22:20:01 PM »
I bought Cats Best OKO - 2 bags. 'Buster' has taken his first dump in the new litter - but didn't cover it up so I had to go after him and do it  :sick: It doesn't smell of anything now though.

He did cover the poo up last time (wood pellets), but the first time he didn't (wood pellets). Wonder why? Do cats sometimes 'forget'? As he was digging around moving the litter around, so it looked like he was.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2009, 18:42:21 PM »
OKO Cats Best in my household too :)  I started off with wood pellets but it was impossible to scoop the wee's up, Cats best tracks because my two are long hair but I dont suppose i t would with Buster :)

Have you tried the OKO pellets? - not sure if they would be any better? - I normally find some by the trays but it takes 2 seconds to sweep up. I have mentioned it before but I got some miniature dustpans and brushes in Wilkinsons for 49p each and just keep on on each tray (5 trays)

Thanks, i'll have to try them.  Where do you get yours from?

I have tried the pellets but you can get them from Zooplus. They are more expensive than the regular Cats Best. I think the pellets are called Cats best gold if you want to google it.

Edit - Zooplus have it on offer x x 10L for £19.99 instead of £23.97 - so on offer it's not much more than the regular one.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/cats_best/43107
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 18:44:53 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2009, 18:29:50 PM »
I think I'm doing something seriously wrong as I've already used up a 5 litre bag in.... 2 days? I just found it hard to scoop out the wee and poo and ended up scooping out all of it and refilling (twice a day!)

Thats what makes cats best so much better, easy to scoop so no chucking out. ;D

I got duck/goose starter crumb which is also good, my local place has coccidia treatment in all its chick crumb so thats no good. Doesnt smell farmyardy to me just yeasty

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2009, 18:13:01 PM »
OKO Cats Best in my household too :)  I started off with wood pellets but it was impossible to scoop the wee's up, Cats best tracks because my two are long hair but I dont suppose i t would with Buster :)

Have you tried the OKO pellets? - not sure if they would be any better? - I normally find some by the trays but it takes 2 seconds to sweep up. I have mentioned it before but I got some miniature dustpans and brushes in Wilkinsons for 49p each and just keep on on each tray (5 trays)

Thanks, i'll have to try them.  Where do you get yours from?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2009, 16:13:12 PM »
I do think it has a funny smell  :sick:

Cats best has a feint pine smell?

If you are buying chick crumb, make sure there are no additives as some have additives which can cause health issues for cats (paralysis of rear legs)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2009, 15:18:31 PM »
mark thinks it smells of farmyards but I don't see that myself lol, the feed place I get mine from does 5kg bags so if you could get one of those you could give it a try, I also get it from Jolleyes

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 15:16:55 PM »
You can get the chick crumb from most animal feed and garden centres - I use the Arco 20kg sacks (£7.95) and my garden centre orders it in for me. 
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 15:14:41 PM »
I use Smart Cat wood pellets and 30 litres lasts for ages unless all 4 cats decide they want to use trays.............more than one is right now.

It costs about £12 from the pet shop and pet shop at end of road used to get it specially for me and the other shop has it in all of time. Reckon its best of the wood pellet ones.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 15:04:08 PM »
Where can I get chick crumb from? And it doesn't smell?!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 14:03:40 PM »
I use chick crumb too, a 20kg sack is £10 and lasts a month or more with two deep trays.  I sccop the clumps of wee and poos out and when it's getting low I top up to make it deep again.  Because it clumps so well you scoop out all the nasties so it can be left quite a while before you need to  do a full change.  I have hooded trays and only ever notice a niff when they've just deposited a fresh poo  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 13:53:27 PM »
that is a lot lol!  with the chick crumb I get 20kg and I change three trays weekly and it lasts about 3 weeks but its only £10 so I don't mind, I know other people who make it last much longer

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 13:51:44 PM »
 :thanks:

I'm going to get some OKO Cats Best I think, either that or Chick Crumbs or Clean n Tidy. Will see once I'm in the shop reading the packets & labels.

I think I'm doing something seriously wrong as I've already used up a 5 litre bag in.... 2 days? I just found it hard to scoop out the wee and poo and ended up scooping out all of it and refilling (twice a day!)

This will get a bit of time getting used to.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 16:22:23 PM »
Thanks all, very useful info from all of you.

Well little 'Buster' is ok using the wood pellets, but I think it would be easier with a clumping litter - I like the thought of it anyway. I will try a few of the litters mentioned here, and see what he AND we prefer. We have a few mats under and around the tray, and I hoover lots anyway so not worried too much about litter getting on the floor. My main concern is the smell - our apartment is not big enough for stinky whiffs like the one this morning :rofl: So whatever masks the smell the best is a winner in our books.

Don't forget Cats Best OKO is wood but also clumping so the best of both worlds  :) - other wood pellets just turn to mush but OKO clumps really well but unlike clay clumping, it doesn't stick to the tray like cement.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 16:17:24 PM »
I get a wood pellet litter from my local market, £6 for 30l !! and I scoop poop every day, it also claims to be flushable but my darlings doings won't flush  :evillaugh:

I have no odor issues and the whole lot (minus poos) goes into out compost where it seems to break down fairly quickly... done wonders for the garden too as it breaks up the clay soil we have nicely

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 16:05:43 PM »
Usually my boys have PAH Antibacterial litter and the girls have Oko Plus.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 16:06:17 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 15:56:07 PM »
Thanks all, very useful info from all of you.

Well little 'Buster' is ok using the wood pellets, but I think it would be easier with a clumping litter - I like the thought of it anyway. I will try a few of the litters mentioned here, and see what he AND we prefer. We have a few mats under and around the tray, and I hoover lots anyway so not worried too much about litter getting on the floor. My main concern is the smell - our apartment is not big enough for stinky whiffs like the one this morning :rofl: So whatever masks the smell the best is a winner in our books.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 16:08:34 PM by tigerbaby »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »
Another one here for OKO cats best, lasts ages, doesn't smell and is really easy to clean out, wouldn't change now, started on wooden pellets but found that when they got wet they went really dusty so there was slightly wee-y dust being walked round the flat!

I bought 2 more yesterday after buying 2 last week - not because it ran out but I want to make sure it doesn't run out in future  :evillaugh: I would hate to have to resort to anything inferior - ie anything else  :evillaugh:

I can't believe how long I used Catsan for and put up with smells and complete changes every few days. Although OKO is about £1 more a bag than catsan, it lasts 4 x longer and so much easier all round.

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:14 AM »
Mine prefer the wooden pellets get the 30litre sacks £8.49 i think form the local pets store or the pets at home one.
I go thru quite a bit as more goes to waste, as Pod will bang on the door where litter kept when its been used.(am sure he's half human with his ways)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:33:56 AM by **TINA** »
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »
Another one here for OKO cats best, lasts ages, doesn't smell and is really easy to clean out, wouldn't change now, started on wooden pellets but found that when they got wet they went really dusty so there was slightly wee-y dust being walked round the flat!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
We (all fosterers) l use the wood pellets as we find that there is absolutely no urine smell and that to us is important. If there is a smell of urine then we would know a cat has a problem. I am sure many of you know you can put your nose right up to it  ;D and still there is no smell of urine. When people come to view a cat I deliberately leave a tray down that a cat will have weeeed in just to show them that there is no smell, sometimes there face is a picture as I offer the tray up to them to smell.

Bet that offer's taken up regularly(!)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:57:23 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »
We (all fosterers) l use the wood pellets as we find that there is absolutely no urine smell and that to us is important. If there is a smell of urine then we would know a cat has a problem. I am sure many of you know you can put your nose right up to it  ;D and still there is no smell of urine. When people come to view a cat I deliberately leave a tray down that a cat will have weeeed in just to show them that there is no smell, sometimes there fact is a picture as I offer the tray up to them to smell.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »
I'm another chick crumb fan, it is so cheap and performs really well

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 15:40:23 PM »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 14:00:23 PM »
OKO cats best for me too - by far the best Ive ever tried!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 13:11:11 PM »
The Clan Cats have a variety of litters on the go - wood pellet as we now get it off our old CP for taking the three old ferals and have always used it its easy to pick up the number 2's and soaks the numbers 1's well - we only just cover the bottom of the trays so its econmical that way and lessens the deep burriers from chucking it everywhere

We also use clumping clay, paper pellet type stuff and use a clumping wood one can't remeber the name but it was great as it clumps and removes really well

We also have the litter mats and find them useful for the clumping litter users

We use a variety as some came with specific types and others have fitted in I think the worst sort is the compost use for the ferals till we can change them over compost goes everywhere!!!

Good luck and I'm sure Buster will tell you if he doesn't like them!

We also have open, and hooded trays and some with lips our lot are never short of trying out any new types and litters to!

Most of ours come from Zooplus, Petplanet and Pet supermarket when they are on offer
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »
I ahve just done a quick bit of research and there is no concrete evidence to suggest flushing cat faeces is the culprit behind marine deaths. You are advised against it just in case but the debate is ongoing amongst researchers and scientists.  :sneaky:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 11:57:41 AM »
Actually, there were threads on here and CC about not flushing poos down the tray - here is the CC thread - apparently toxo isn't killed and can then go on to kill marine animals.

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/76999.html
Please spay your cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
My two hate wooden litters and I hate really clumpy ones so I use catsan.  It does track a lot (I use one of those mats which really helps) and does need totally changing really regularly so it's not perfect but mine mostly go outside so it's fine for here.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 22:16:09 PM »
I think Beth that there are far worse things put down toilets than cat poo  :sick: Our flushed water goes straight to treatment plants so really in theory you can put just about anything down there, of course most of things you shouldn't put down there.  :evillaugh:

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 22:12:57 PM »
Sorry, a bit of topic. but with regards to flushing animal poo, i was under the impression that you shouldn't as there are some things carried by cats and dogs that can contaminate our water...? :-:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 21:01:21 PM »
Thanks all!

We will start off with using the wood pellets, and will compare prices between the other litters you have mentioned.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 20:35:12 PM »
Ohhh TB  I use the Clean and Tidy...  :attention:it's not bad, lasts ages, is very odour absorbing, clumps well and is fine grained. The only down side I have is that is does track, but put a litter mat or old rug under it and the problem lessens considerably.

If you can still get hold of the bucket packs do so..cos the online site only does it in bags now (though techinically you now get two bags and 2 extra Kgs for less than the price of 1 bucket if not on BOGOF!

I've tried a lot of litters and to be honest all but the large grained litters track to a degree, but then they're uncomfortable for cats to stand on..... you can't win  :shify:

Thats my twopenneth worth  :donate:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 20:16:56 PM »
Chick crumb here, no odours and lasts for ages, plus it clumps wees really well, and you can flush it down the loo as well (I flush poos and put wees in the bin).

I pay about £11 for a 20kg bag as well which lasts for ages  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 20:13:10 PM »
I used to use Golden Grey but after trying Cats Best I would say it is 1000% better at odour control.

Really?  I don't get any odour at all when using Golden grey.  Only if I'm sitting next to the tray when they do a poo, will I smell anything at all.

I found that after a few days of scooping it started to smell, not really of soiled litter but a bit off, hard to explain, basically I could smell there was a litter tray and in a small flat it could be a bit off putting. When I went to Cats Best I honestly rarely ever smell the tray, even when getting close to complete change over day. I also like the environmental aspect.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 20:09:20 PM »
We use Chick Crumb and have both open and covered trays - TBH it doesnt make any more mess than any other litter I have tried but is definately kind on the pennies.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 20:03:41 PM »
Thanks.

Have you heard of Clean n' Tidy? This is what it says on the packet 'Clumping Adult Cat Litter 7kg by Clean 'N' Tidy is 99% dust free, keeping paw prints to a minimum for a clean home'

I liked the sound of that but then again I don't know how much to a minimum the paw prints would be kept!

I've just started using this litter and it's wonderful! I have tried pretty much everything on the market and this is the best I've ever tried. It's a sand-like texture, is very good for clumping so easy to clean the tray and very economical. Plus, most importantly the cats love it with the added bonus of no chalky paw prints.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 19:46:44 PM »
Cats Best for me too at the moment. Good on odour control, nicely clumping, soft for cats to use, economical (only scoop the poop and clumps of wee - then top up) - only drawback is the tracking.

I like wood pellets too, but I prefer clumping litters on the whole.

Sainsbury's Ultra Clumping was pretty good, it clumps well.

Link to CatChat