Author Topic: Buying a cat tree  (Read 7740 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Buying a cat tree
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 08:34:25 AM »
LOL Charlie does the boxing through the stair rails.  He likes to sit on his haunches and have a little boxing match.  No claws or anything.  He loves it, he charges upstairs if he thinks you are going up just so he can sit and box with you

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 17:04:04 PM »
His claws do need a cut but I'm not brave enough to do it so he goes to the vet - so that he can hiss/grow/swipe at them instead.    I've never thought of hissing back at him before - will give that a go.....that'll give him a shock.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 17:44:15 PM »
I'd guess he thinks it's a great game!  You could try to divert him from swiping at you by waving a toy for him to swipe at.  Otherwise I think I would discourage him from swiping at you by hissing at him or blowing in his face.  And keep his claws trimmed!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 17:41:48 PM »
I would get a small spray bottle and fill with water, he will soon stop or move the tree to where you dont walk past!

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 15:01:37 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ... sounds like he's feeling all big and brave on top his cat tree.  I'd swipe back  ... not in an aggressive way ... but turn it into a game ... try and bop his paw before he gets to you  :naughty: that way he'll go from being the "hunter" to being the "prey" and he'll think twice the next time!   

Does that make sense?  Cats not only love hunt sometimes they actually enjoy being hunted ans long as it's a game.

A-ha - fab!  Thank you very much for that.  I'll give that a go and see if I can beat him at it.  I'll probably end up with a few cuts first - lol.    Other than at the vets, he's not an aggressive cat so perhaps he is just wanting to play and be the boss - well, he's in for a shock next time.  I didn't really want to throw the tree out as they both love it but I've already been scarred because of it but I will see how this goes.  Thanks again.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
My friend's cat croissant does this from the stairs... he lurks and waits and if you walk past the stairs... he strikes through the banister rails!  :rofl:
I agree, you should probably turn it into a game.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 23:42:46 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ... sounds like he's feeling all big and brave on top his cat tree.  I'd swipe back  ... not in an aggressive way ... but turn it into a game ... try and bop his paw before he gets to you  :naughty: that way he'll go from being the "hunter" to being the "prey" and he'll think twice the next time!   

Does that make sense?  Cats not only love hunt sometimes they actually enjoy being hunted ans long as it's a game.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 23:36:21 PM »
I have a tall cat tree for my 2 boys and I'm having bother with one of them because of it - whenever he's sitting on the highest part he always swipes at me.    He never does it any other time (unless I've deliberately annoyed him), it's so bad I'm actually at the point where I want to take their tree away from them.   Think it's because he doesn't feel intimidated up there as it makes him the same height as me.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 19:16:21 PM »
The trees iv ordered have all arrived intact, my last order arrived in 48hrs so you should be ok   ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 19:06:43 PM »
zooplus is usually pretty reliable THe main problem is with the packaging (which tends to fall apart at inopportune moments) and the casual approach their delivery people have. If you don't open the door in the first five nanoseconds they are off with a pre-completed 'see you at the depot' message. Hope you have a car!

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
  • pipsqueak & cuscus (not in the picture)
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 19:03:49 PM »
I have just ordered it (using the zooplus link). But suddenly got all worried. :-: How long does it take to receive it? I have exactly 3 weeks before we move the house. Did I make a mistake here and should have waited instead. They say it takes 5-7 working days, but I have some doubts. I remember reading people were having problems with the zooplus deliveries.  I chose it to be delivered by DHL, never going to use Parcelforce  farce again, they never delivered my parcel, had to get it from their depot. It almost got sent back.  :wow:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 19:46:33 PM »
Its the green one that mostly doesnt have a name showing lol 10% off for new customers too, it just gets better

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 19:39:26 PM »
I finally found the link, only through Internet explorer though, normally I use Mozilla Firefox. Haven't bought the tree just yet, they are out of stock at the moment. I guess other people also have found them. Before me  >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 18:43:04 PM »
Millys Mum thank you for directing me back to zooplus. I found the same tree (it's just called differently  :shocked: ), but it is at least £30 cheaper + delivery is free!  ;D

Well done  ;D
The zooplus link at the bottom of this page will open a new window and donate commission to Purrs  :wow: if you havent already bought it lol

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 21:39:31 PM »
Millys Mum thank you for directing me back to zooplus. I found the same tree (it's just called differently  :shocked: ), but it is at least £30 cheaper + delivery is free!  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 21:04:01 PM »
 :evillaugh: Sadly I can only speak for Lexy, Susanne. The reason I mention the other trees is that both were pretty expensive and have disappointed me. They look great but have not withstood her Lexyness  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 21:00:24 PM »
I do think you get what you pay for with cat trees.  Not just with the solid posts, but with the sisal or whatever is on them.  The expensive one I bought 11 years ago when Jaffa was a kitten is in better shape than the one I bought from zooplus 2 years ago, despite daily use.

It isn't  just "curvy" cats who need sturdy posts, Ruth  ;D  Jaffa is a lean and mean 4.8kg and the hammock on mine broke under his weight.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 20:58:17 PM »
The one's Teresa and I posted and the Kalven ones are all solid wood posts, they are def sturdy. They survive a rescue and rambunctious kittens.... must be good. My regular Clio one hasn't lasted even 2 years, the other one barely 1 year. And erm.. more curvy cats  :naughty: need sturdiness.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 20:56:06 PM »
I like this one

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/large/94495

Zooplus are good for cat trees but beware the ones with the hammock hanging over the side - I have one of those and it snapped in half!  The weight of a cat in the hammock is too much for the hollow, cardboard posts.  Solid wood trees are best if you can find one you like at a reasonable price.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 18:36:12 PM »
I use zooplus for cat trees, they give money to purrs if you shop through the link  ;D

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/large

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 23:42:48 PM »

this s the one I got from Albany Pets on eBay

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 23:38:33 PM »
Its this one which is now cheaper than I paid for it on offer 3 years ago!!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/large/13537

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 23:36:07 PM »
My cat tree came from zooplus and giant Misa jumps all over it i will se if I can find a link

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 22:59:43 PM »
Thank You for your kind advice! I think I have found the right tree!!

http://www.cattrees.co.uk/madrid-cat-tree-activity-centre_p2.html

I'm buying it for my birthday! It's going to be fun watching my kitties climbing on it!  ;D

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 19:49:06 PM »
and of course one of our auction sponsors http://www.cattrees.co.uk/

;D

I agree with the longer poles too as they like to stretch up and scratch

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 19:44:13 PM »
Definitely go for the one on the auction .... as the others have said ... ALL your money will go towards helping rescue kitties.

But if you don't manage to win that one check out albany pets on ebay ... excellent cat trees:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AlbanyPetsLTD_CAT-SCRATCHER-POST_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9QQftidZ2QQtZkm
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 19:16:05 PM »
http://www.catscratcher.com/

These are brilliant ,we have several of them.

Think one of the most important things to remember is that a cat gets lots of enjoyment from physically stretching whilst scratching,so make sure the posts are a good length.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 19:14:57 PM »
We have a lovely cat tree up on the auction :naughty: if you're interested?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,20013.0.html

Ruth took the words out of my mouth (or my mouse  :evillaugh:).  A great cat tree and your money will go to Paws Inn  ;D
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 19:13:40 PM »
http://www.catscratcher.com/

These are also good. Just bought one (as did Ems) at the Supreme for Lexy. Making and delivering to me in London.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 19:12:41 PM »
http://www.kalven.co.uk/pagoda.htm - brilliant company, brilliant cat trees, solid wood poles, very sturdy - will also build to your spec.  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 19:11:48 PM »
as for the ideal cat tree:

It should have multiple shelves, a few caves for cats to hide in (preferably well above ground level), hammocks may or may not be successful depending on your cat - mine ignore them or use them for wrestling practice), should be sturdy, so they do not sway when cats are leaping on them, hanging toys are temporary adornments that are usually destroyed within 24 hours, and ladders are a health hazard as they are rarely adequately anchored, so unless you are handy and have the time and tools, should be avoided - unless your cat is elderly, they don't need them. Welcome to Purrs, BTW.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 19:07:58 PM »
We have a lovely cat tree up on the auction :naughty: if you're interested?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,20013.0.html

Otherwise, places like zooplus, Pets At Home, or you could shop around for some lovely handmade ones.

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
Buying a cat tree
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 19:03:35 PM »
Could anybody suggest which is the best place to buy a large cat tree? Any cat trees you have and are very satisfied with it? There's so many on the net, it's difficult to choose.  :thanks: in advance.

Link to CatChat