Author Topic: Cat Food - What do you use, what do you recommend?  (Read 8122 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: Cat Food - What do you use, what do you recommend?
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
Before I knew better, I gave J Coshida dry food (Lidls own), and before I had him he was being fed Sainsburys own. He is now on PAH premium and I have noticed a huge different in his physical appearance, he used to be quite chunky and is now lean, with a very shiny fur and clear, healthy eyes.

It really does make a difference what he eats.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 20:48:57 PM »
I feed our JWB dry (duck and turkey flavours as favoured here) and felix or whiskas,mainly whiskas wet but as they are having a good quality dry food I feed the wet food mainly for moisture for them.
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 17:02:05 PM »
Every cat I have known on Science Plan has ended up fat.

Hills is high in fat but if it was fed per the actual needed quantity it wouldnt cause a problem, weigh out their daily quota and see how little it actually is  :shocked:
Zooplus sell lots of good quality foods so have fun shopping  ;D

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 15:12:28 PM »
That's really useful! Thank you!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 15:06:59 PM »
thanks Susanne, I've printed it out and will take a look tonight

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 15:04:11 PM »
You might find a few tips here about trying to get her onto wet food

http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 14:48:36 PM »
she runs a mile from raw meat!  the only thing I've had her eat that wasn't dry food was a crisp that dropped on the floor and those JWB ocean things which are like bricks, she likes it dry!  I'd just accepted that she won't eat wet but now they've said she is over weight I'm keen to try again

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 14:34:31 PM »
how do you get them off it though?  Star really will only eat dry food, nothing else not tuna or ham not even cat treats i've tried the slowly adding water thing and she wouldn't touch it what do people do to get them off dry food?

It took me a while to get mine off dry completely, just did it gradually - the tiiniest bit of wet in with their usual portion of dry and build up the amounts while decreasing amount of dry. I have to say, mine were really game to to eat wet though, and I saw instant benefits in that they werent desparate to drink water all the time, some of them used to just hang over the water bowls they were so dehydrated from eating dry and had permanently wet ruffs!

Its difficult though, if Star isnt keen on the 'usual' favourites to tempt her with, have you actually tried her with pieces of raw meat to see if that might get her interested in wet?

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 13:14:24 PM »
Every cat I have known on Science Plan has ended up fat. Chilli was on it as a kitten and she got a little bit overweight even though she is super active with a relatively small appetite.

I'm going to give some of the recommendations on here a go, my two seem pretty unfussy, eat anything and everything that is lying around! Had a look on Zoo Plus and they have some good deals so when I next need to buy food I'll be changing.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »
how do you get them off it though?  Star really will only eat dry food, nothing else not tuna or ham not even cat treats i've tried the slowly adding water thing and she wouldn't touch it what do people do to get them off dry food?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 18:30:29 PM »
I have fussy cats, none of whom will eat wet food except on the odd day. I frequently offer it to them but the only one Oscar will touch is Sainsbury own brand. I'm not convinced it's the best out there but as I say it's only occasional as they generally won't eat anything wet.

Its not that your cats are fussy - its just that dry food is sooo addictive to cats, they have to be weaned off it gradually - no cold turkey LOL!  :evillaugh: (well actually, yes, cold turkey - great for cats!!) Anyway, dry food is sprayed on the outside with yukky fat to make it attractive to cats - because otherwise no carnivore in their right mind would eat them!

And as for vets saying Hills science plan is the best thing you can feed cats - as MM says, they make money out of it, so they would say that!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 16:33:37 PM »
Having spoken to several different vets, they have all said that in their opinion, Hills science plan is the best thing you can feed your cat.

They all say that cos they make so much money out of it!  ;)

The best thing to feed a cat is full of moisture and as nature intended not dry pieces of grainy stuff but that doesnt make them any money  :evillaugh:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 14:34:06 PM »
I have fussy cats, none of whom will eat wet food except on the odd day. I frequently offer it to them but the only one Oscar will touch is Sainsbury own brand. I'm not convinced it's the best out there but as I say it's only occasional as they generally won't eat anything wet.
Layla has struvite bladder crystals and so has a prescription diet that's made by hills. The other two both have a Hills diet, a mixture of science plan and their new range; natures best. Having spoken to several different vets, they have all said that in their opinion, Hills science plan is the best thing you can feed your cat. Lots of cats have different tastes so it really depends on the cats but I will say I have had serious problems in the past with feeding Iams. Layla was on Iams and got very poorly with cystitis and then bladder crystals which the vet thinks formed as a result of the ingredients in her diet. Someone I know also had exactly the same experience but since putting her cat on science plan, the kitty has been absolutely fine.
On the odd occasion Layla manages to sneak a little of the others food (I think it must be more appetising than the prescription food!) the only thing she doesn't get poorly after eating is the Hills so it works really well for us. As I say though, it really depends on the cat!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 17:09:17 PM »
My two came to me as adults aged 11 so I guess they had already developed tastes and were not entertaiing the Royal Canin diet that I had Bertie on.

They love the cheapo stuff which I only discovered after going through RC, Hills, JWB and Purina Pro Senior. It also took trial and error to discover that again unlike Bertie who wouldn't touch wet they love it.

So at the moment they have Whiskas or Tesco pouches (which they love!!!) twice a day and then there is Purina Senior out for them mixed in with whiskas dry - which again they love. They won't eat the Purina on it's own for some reaosn and actually seem to go off food quickly.

I do have Applaws for them - but they won't eat it more than one or twice a week and I also have Bio Pate which they used to love but again will only eat now if its one or twice a week.

I don't know maybe i have really fickle cats! I did persevere with the RC and Hills but I just got to the point where i worried they were not eating at all so relented - and gave into to their horribile taste in food!

They also get raw mince and chicken somtimes as a treat - once or twice a week so I guess they have a pretty varied diet.

I will maybe give the PAH stuff a try after the reviews on here!

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 15:29:26 PM »
Pets At Home Premium dry food bisquits - almost identical ingredients to JWB, but easier on my wallet! The chicken and salmon flavour are going down well here!

Whiskas in gravy mixed with small amonth of warm water in morning and Hi Life Essentials or Whiskas Oh So Meaty for dinner. I make sure he has a high meat content wet food every day.

The bisquits are out all day to nibble on.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 19:31:50 PM »
I feed predominantly wet food as I think it's better for them due to the water content and generally lower cereal content (in higher end foods at least).  My 11 year old eats exclusively wet food and my 2 year old has a mix of wet and dry.

For wet, I choose foods with a high meat content and no/low cereal and no artificial colours etc.  They're both pretty easy to please which good as it means I can rotate between lots of different brands.  I think it's good to do that if possible as foods vary in their fat content, protein content etc. so by giving a mix, they are more likely to get everything they need (any complete food will provide minimum amounts of nutrients and should be ok to feed exclusively, but I do like to mix things up.  In the wild they wouldn't eat the same thing at each meal).  The main 4 foods I feed are nature's menu, animonda carny, bozita and hi life essentials.  In addition to those, I also feed tesco finest and tesco luxury, cosma, applaws, almo nature and various others subject to availablity.  If I see something with 50%+ meat content, I tend to give it a whirl.

For dry food (Mosi just has a bit sprinkled on top of his wet) I feed primarily Orijen as it is grain free, but he occasionally has James Wellbeloved or Hi Life dry.

I'd love to feed raw but at the moment I don't feel I have the time, storage space, work space etc to do it properly.  I do feed raw meat (mainly chicken and beef) as snacks though and both my boys love it.  I also give Jaffa raw chicken wings a couple of times a week for his teeth.

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 16:47:03 PM »
Xanthe has Royal Canin dried maine coon food (her favourite), hills pouches (not as good as Natures Menu but the best I could find that I can also get in SA) , Natures Menu pouches and raw mince / cooked coley from time to time.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 16:44:20 PM »
What do you feed your cats?
Mainly wet food, a little dry as a bribe to get them indoors and some raw  :cook:

Which is the best 'premium' cat food, in your opinion?
It depends on your cats tastes and also on stomachs, my lot love natures menu but cant have it all the time as its too rich for them  :doh:
I use a selection of these:
Natures menu
Bozita
Applaws
Almo nature
Hi life
Animonda
Miamor

(Have a look at zooplus through the link at the bottom of the page, they stock loads of foods  ;D )

Which is the best 'cheapo'   cat food, in your opinion?
None   :shy: if its cheap its not worth buying

I raw feed as a treat, chicken wings they love  ;D they like real mince not the pet stuff as when that defrosts it goes stodgey  :sick:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 16:41:25 PM »
Beavis gets Royal Canin indoor (not hills as I thought!)for dry and PAH Gourmet or similar for wet.

The kittens get Royal Canin kitten for dry and felix kitten for wet , tho they are on chicken and fish at the mo as they have dodgy tummies.

Fredcat gets Joe and Jills dry , or Hiils , and he gets gourmet pearl wet. He also gets cod fillets cooked every day (Mum spoils him silly)

As for raw feeding - Beavis and Fredcat catch their own - they like rabbit and we have had a few moles this week for variety! :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 15:06:34 PM »
Mine were raw fed only, but now have raw plus Whiskas supermeat (which doesnt contain cereals), and bozita or applaws occasionally, because I only wanted to feed free range/organic meats - and it was getting too expensive, not sure of actual cost - but I decided I'd rather still feed some high quality raw meats less often with the commercial cat foods as well.

As to amounts of raw, as you say it does depend on the cat, but - in each raw meal you need a balance of 5-10%  organ meat, with half that amount being liver, 10-15% edible bone, and 80% plus muscle meat, fat, skin, connective tissue. If you are interested in raw feeding by the way, these are good sites www.rawfedcats.org, www.catinfo.org , if you havent already seen them.

I only feed dry as a treat (a night time snack!), so it varies,  could be Olli or PAH own. Keep meaning to try Orjen, but havent got round to it yet!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 14:46:06 PM »
I feed a mix of dry, wet, raw and cooked meats to mine. There are 2 wet foods from Zooplus I plan to try out soon (Animonda and Bozita) but at the moment I feed the following:

Dry: Various Royal Canin foods all year round with Hills mixed in when I've got kittens.

Wet: Natures Menu, Hills, Hi-Life, Applaws and Kattovit.

Raw: Lamb mince, turkey mince, chicks, mice, rabbit and steak.

Cooked:
White fish and chicken

James Wellbeloved and Purina ProPlan are worth trying as well dry food wise.

At the end of the day though premium food is only any good if your cat will eat it!! If they won't then all you can do is feed the best they'll eat.  The PAH food Mark has mentioned is used by quite a few people on here and their cats love it so it's definately worth a go as the ingredients look good for the price.

You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 14:09:15 PM »
None of the real cheapos like Whiskas dry, go-cat or supermarket own are much good as they have far to much cereal and articial colourings etc in and not good for cats at all.

Best mid-priced food is Pets at Home own brand - not the 99p one but the one in the silver bags £8.99 for 2kg but often on offer BOGOF or 3 for 2 - August Bank Holiday week will probably be a good time to stock up!

Best premium food - Orijen. Contains 75% meat & fish, 25% fruits, vegetables, botanicals and digestive aids like psyllium husk + probiotics - also Glucosamine & Chondroitin for healthy joints (may help urinary tract as well I think)

None of my cats will eat premium wet food so I let them have Felix wet + Orijen - I also give them cooked coley and chicken as treats.

Info on Orijen - poles apart from rubbish dry food

The short gastrointestinal system of cats is adapted to metabolize a diet high in protein and fats from meat, and not the carbohydrates and grains typical to conventional pet foods.

High protein, low carbohydrate ORIJEN replicates the original feline diet and naturally promotes peak conditioning in cats and kittens of all breeds.

A rich supply of essential fatty acids from fresh fish, sunflower and flax nutritionally supports a luxurious skin and hair coat.

Bridging the gap between good nutrition and total physical well-being, ORIJEN's botanical selection replicates the natural feline diet and helps soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract, strengthen the liver and control insulin levels.

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs,deboned turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS
Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS
Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS
Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

PREMIUM VITAMINS
Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Protein 45.0%
Fat 20.0%
Carbohydrate 15.0%
Moisture 10.0%
Fiber 2.0%
Calcium (min.) 1.6%
Calcium (max.) 1.8%
Phosphorus (min.) 1.3%
Phosphorus (max.) 1.5%
Omega-6 3.8%
Omega-3 0.9%
Glucosamine (min.) 500 mg/kg
Chondroitine (min.) 150 mg/kg
Microorganisms 80M cfu/kg
pH 5.0
Ash (min.) 7.0%
Ash (max.) 7.5%

BOTANICAL ANALYSIS
Chicory root 350 mg/kg
Licorice root 350 mg/kg
Fenugreek 250 mg/kg
Marigold flowers 200 mg/kg
Sweet fennel 200 mg/kg
Peppermint leaf 200 mg/kg
Chamomile flowers 200 mg/kg
Dandelion 150 mg/kg
Summer savory 100 mg/kg
Rosehips 50 mg/kg

VITAMINS
Vitamin A 30 kIU/kg
Vitamin D3 1.8 kIU/kg
Vitamin E 400 IU/kg
Vitamin K 2.0 IU/kg
Vitamin B12 400 IU/kg
Thiamine 55 mg/kg
Riboflavin 48 mg/kg
Niacin 235 mg/kg
Pan. acid 43 mg/kg
Pyridoxine 32 mg/kg
Biotin 0.5 mg/kg
Folic acid 3.4 mg/kg
Choline 3700 mg/kg
Ascorbic acid 60 mg/kg
Beta carotene 0.55 mg/kg

AMINO ACIDS
Taurine 2500 mg/kg
T. Lysine 2.0%
T. Threonine 1.8%
T. Methionine 1.3%
T. Isoleucine 2.2%
T. Leucine 2.4%
T. Valine 2.5%
T. Arginine 3.2%
T. Phen. 1.7%
T. Histidine 1.2%
T. Cystine 0.7%

MINERALS
Sodium 0.35%
Chloride 0.5%
Potassium 0.6%
Magnesium 0.08%
Sulphur 0.4%
Iron 290 mg/kg
Zinc 260 mg/kg
Copper 25 mg/kg
Manganese 24 mg/kg
Cobalt 0.6 mg/kg
Iodine 4 mg/kg
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 14:40:03 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 13:24:50 PM »
in my case I feed them what they eat, with four I've made the mistake of trying to get them all on to one kind of food and so introduced them to everything under the sun and they now each like one each that nobody else likes - I've tried all types of food and price ranges and they have settled for

Royal canin - Star (she only eats dried food)
Felix as good as it looks - Tilly
whiskas fish flavours in jelly only - Amber
Oscar previously only ate normal felix but as I just got 4 boxes of 48 he is eating everyone elses food!

I have had no success with natures menu or bonzita

they occasionally have a tin of applaws or almo nature but won't eat it two days in a row

Offline Jennifer

• Adult Cat
Cat Food - What do you use, what do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 13:20:19 PM »
First I'd like to say that I really support the idea of raw feeding, so I'll probably be going with that when I get a cat, but I'm interested in knowing what the general concensus is about the pre-made pet food available in stores!

What do you feed your cats? Do they get wet or dry or both?
Which is the best 'premium' cat food, in your opinion?
Which is the best 'cheapo'  :evillaugh: cat food, in your opinion?

If you raw feed, how much do you need to give yours each day (don't worry, I know it varies per cat) and roughly how much do you think it costs you?

Link to CatChat