Author Topic: A challenge for you about cat litter.....  (Read 7579 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: A challenge for you about cat litter.....
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 13:08:01 PM »
40L bags of Oko Plus on this site are cheaper than Zooplus and it's free delivery  ;D
http://petfoodwarehouse.co.uk/browse_91
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 13:04:19 PM »
I love the Oko Plus, my two hated the WBCL but they are fine with Oko Plus, no smell and not nearly as much on the floor after they have "been". I haven't been able to get to PAH this week though and am using a normal clay based non clumping litter at the moment and I am hating it. Must get to PAH soon.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 14:48:25 PM »
Have gone for the Tigerino Nuggies - with what the kittens are producing ANYTHING that masks the smell is OK with me! :evillaugh:

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 14:47:01 PM »
I've not tried chick crumb but I used to use WBCL and the Oko Plus tracks less and holds smells better than WBCL and I think it clumps better too.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 14:29:18 PM »
that's quite chick crummie isn't it?

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 14:28:16 PM »
Righty then - so what i need is a good super clumping litter and a metal spoon! Zooplus here I come coz i cant be bothered to drive all the way to PAH now!

Oko Plus is a brilliant clumping litter that's safe if cats ingest any, it locks in smells, clumps very well and it's biodegradable too  ;D Keeps you happy, cats happy and environment happy  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 14:26:11 PM »
next choice talc scent or not!!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 14:25:14 PM »
Righty then - so what i need is a good super clumping litter and a metal spoon! Zooplus here I come coz i cant be bothered to drive all the way to PAH now!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
Absolutely, LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
the wet clumps don't stick to the spoon so much!  ;)

A quick wipe and it's ready to serve dinner  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 12:40:17 PM »
Gillians idea of using a plastic kitchen spoon for "solids" is a good idea as you also pick up some of the litter around it.

I'm using a large metal kitchen spoon now - I started noticing that the plastic spoon absorbed smells  :sick: - even with daily (ish!) washing and disinfecting, there was still a faint odour. The metal spoon doesnt absorb smells, and to make it even nicer after washing and disinfecting, I wipe all over the spoon with baby oil, smells wonderful then and the wet clumps don't stick to the spoon so much!  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 12:35:10 PM »
Gillians idea of using a plastic kitchen spoon for "solids" is a good idea as you also pick up some of the litter around it.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »
Ok I am obviously doing something wrong here as I fully change all litter trays daily!! Can you really leave it longer if you just 'scoop the poop' and use a clumping litter? I am spending a fortune on litter atm , getting through two to three 20k bags a week!

Yikes! how much?!!!  :shocked: yes, absolutely, just scoop the poop and the clumps of wee - with a clumping litter, the surrounding litter remains uncontaminated so to speak!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 11:53:20 AM »
can't cancel the order anyway I just looked, I see what arrives (just an excuse for another zooplus order really!)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »
oh  :censored: Milly's mum, wish I'd known that, I wonder if I can cancel the order, it hasn't been sent out yet

Dont worry, theres a review that says its a little too fine grained, think iv mixed it up with something else :sorry:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »
is that the scented one in the plastic tub?

It hardly has any smell. The grains are bigger than tigerino etc but mine are using it.

I will try the odourlock next time

Kirst - I thought the whole idea of ultra clumping (not regular clumping) was that you just top up. After 2 weeks or so, depending on use, let it run down a bit and dump it. So the first fill uses a lot but just a small top up every day or 2. I fill it about 4" thick to begin with.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 11:39:14 AM »
oh  :censored: Milly's mum, wish I'd known that, I wonder if I can cancel the order, it hasn't been sent out yet

yes Kirst you really can just scoop the poop and change is less often!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:41:55 AM by Dawn F »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 11:35:33 AM »
Ok I am obviously doing something wrong here as I fully change all litter trays daily!! Can you really leave it longer if you just 'scoop the poop' and use a clumping litter? I am spending a fortune on litter atm , getting through two to three 20k bags a week!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 11:34:05 AM »
Let it set, i hate it when i hit a wet patty as that makes a mess  :tired: current clay is the odour lock one and that sets well.

Classy is normal grain size, so no bare foot walking cos it hurts  :evillaugh:
Golden grey and extreme classic odour lock are both good, didnt like the smell of the normal extreme classic, too talcy  :sick:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 11:29:50 AM »
is that the scented one in the plastic tub?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
The PAH own one sets like cement and that's how it needs to be. If if crumbles, it taint all the litter and needs to be changed in a week or less. Unless you can leave it a few weeks, it works out expensive. I have a couple more bags left and then I will order another brand.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
I was wondering the same Mark but then I only scoop once a day because I'm at work - I'm going to try classy cat next, the reveiws said it clumped very well

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
One snag I have sometimes is the clumps of tigerino sometimes crumble. Should I leave it a while to set?  :sick:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 11:12:14 AM »
I wish I'd never started messing around with it, the hall and upstairs trays with the tigerino in are getting used all the time and the one in the utility with the chick crumb has only been used once since last wednesday - I should have learnt from giving them choice with food, always a bad idea!!

:rofl: thats the trouble i have, encouraging them to use what i want  :tired:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
I wish I'd never started messing around with it, the hall and upstairs trays with the tigerino in are getting used all the time and the one in the utility with the chick crumb has only been used once since last wednesday - I should have learnt from giving them choice with food, always a bad idea!!

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 19:13:45 PM »
Has anyone tried the Sophisticat Tidy? Parcel pets have a very good price on it ATM......
Is it fine grained? thats the clincher....can't tell from teh image  :Crazy:

Have bought a bag of the Sainsburys ultra clumping and its got the thumbs up BUT the little bags are heavy as heck and one doesn't really do for a single jumbo tray (the boys are BIG cats-12lb and 11lb and I swear RW is getting more and more like a brick outhouse as the days pass :shocked:) so would need silly amounts of bags to do the trays...

Ho hum

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 18:38:48 PM »
I have a spatula just for the "patties". OH prob lives in fear that it will be mistaken for a food spatula  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 17:42:03 PM »
Spike does that, he gets it at such an angle it floods down one edge and makes a big sausage stuck to the side  :tired:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 17:10:45 PM »
Because the ultra fine clumps well it works out efficent but be warned to fill 5 trays from fresh will take a lot! You need to keep it deep or you get pee patties stuck to the bottom of the tray  :tired:

Pee patties  :rofl: :rofl:  Love it!

Unfortunately my two (mainly Jaffa) tend to use the side of the tray so it just sticks to the sides instead of the  bottom  :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 16:19:39 PM »
Golden grey isnt heavily perfumed unlike some horrid danish pink stuff i got once  :sick:

Tesco sell sophisticat in a tub for £4.99, i used a few of them and refill the tubs from zooplus  ;)

Because the ultra fine clumps well it works out efficent but be warned to fill 5 trays from fresh will take a lot! You need to keep it deep or you get pee patties stuck to the bottom of the tray  :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 12:19:20 PM »
I like the smell of Tigerino but the others smelt really sickly  :sick:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:43 PM »
it didn't smell very baby talc to me though - I only got it because the corner tray is outside mils bedroom and I thought she would feel the same as you about the smell of chick crumb!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:07:02 PM »
I got a delivery of tigerino from zooplus yestereday it is very fine its currently £15.99 for 28kg

I have used the waitrose fine clumping before which is the same texture and unscented

Susanne mentioned this before but one 14kg bag of Tigerino is roughly the equivilent of about 4 of the plastic containers of ultra-clumping you get in PAH etc. for £4.79
So works out nearly 1/4 of the price at the moment while the offer is on.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »
Sophisticat non clumping in the green bag is good , as is the anti bacterial on.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
I got a delivery of tigerino from zooplus yestereday it is very fine its currently £15.99 for 28kg

I have used the waitrose fine clumping before which is the same texture and unscented

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »
We use catscan clumping its very good is £4.99 a bag, we go though 3 bags in 2-2.5 weeks.

It is very heavy though!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:14:32 AM by Leanne »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 21:53:01 PM »
We currently have - clumping ultra fine - had 3 ferals from a farm on it as they came form CP having spent their first time inside a pen for 2 weeks till we could take them - now everyone wants to use the 2 trays it is in!  We have wood pellet - majority use this, also have paper litter which is good and finally a mix of compost and clay, Compost and wood pellet - new feral and being a picky sod used his bed of rthe first 4 days of captivity!

I don't like clumping its to heavy to lift - we have to take our waste litter to the tip weekly as we have a septic tank and can't flush it blocks the pipework - Day 4 in new house!!! :evillaugh:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 18:04:51 PM »
Yes, I've found Sainsbury's ultra clumping to be really good. I'm using Everclean at the moment because I got 3 boxes for the price of 2 at a cat show! and it would be my preferred litter, but its pricey normally.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 16:25:10 PM »
Is golden grey from zooplus scented?  I cant remember as I'm using tigerino nuggies at the moment.

When I ran out recently, I used sainsburys ultra clumping which is fine grained clay litter and unscented.  It's £3.99 a bag which is cheaper than some but I'm sure you can find cheaper online.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
A challenge for you about cat litter.....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 16:21:07 PM »
Okey doke......I need to find a fine grained clay cat litter. The boys have turned thier noses up at the PAH non-clumping stuff I use (probably because it's not fine grained- the fact that they hang over the edge of the tray rather than stand on it is a hint  :shify:)

Chick crumb is fantastic but Z refuses to use it, so it's gotta be clay- Keli and RW will use it (RW only if its the only option he has)

BUT it needs to be cheap (I have 5 litter trays to do- the PAH I buy is £6.59 for a 25 litre bag) and no scent (so zooplus is right out- Z wouldn't use it so would defeat the point)  :(

My head is spinning trying to find something that matches this criteria-I'll happily buy from teh interwebs as it saves me having to lug it home  :evillaugh:

Any ideas????

Link to CatChat