Author Topic: Yahoo Answers again  (Read 7809 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Yahoo Answers again
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 18:58:41 PM »
She came in from the garden virtually dragging one back behind her. I panicked and phoned the vet - he asked what she was doing at that minute. I said she was eating and he laughed

Well answered but wouldn't agree entirely with the vets comments.  When Tiger broke his leg on Christmas day a few years ago, I had to wait until he came for his food to get hold of him as he was semi feral and living outside.  I managed to pick him up whilst he was eating, cats are so good at hiding pain and Otis was another instance, he had a broken pelvis both sides and broken vertabrae in his back, he managed to get home still walking, I was amazed he'd managed it and so was Sean, he must have been in so much pain  :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 18:53:54 PM »
It is so frustrating knowing there isn't much you can do. I don't know if you were around when I posted my one and only question on Yahoo Answers?

" Why do so many people post questions when the obvious answer is speak to a Vet immediately?
It makes me so angry that so many people waste time posting on here to ask random strangers what they should do when they should be on the way to the vet

I'm not sure about other countries but in the UK, vets don't charge for telephone advice."

I got slated for it  :evillaugh:

Anyway, this was the thread - oh and by the way - I didn't choose the best answer - I forgot to choose one so it was done automatically - I would not have chosen an answer by Mrs Trailer Trash  :evillaugh:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnOQw.BaVJ.hpkv5rAqshEPsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080214013541AARH6tE

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 18:40:40 PM »
I was on there a couple of nights ago using the good ol' stick and carrot approach. i had to come off after a while cos it was breaking my heart thinking about those poor kitties  :'(
There was one boy whose kitten had done serious damage to her paw but his mum wouldn't even let the cat in the house let alone to the vets.... WTF! I and others said find a neighbour, scream, beg, walk anything just get her to a professional.
Another one had a nursing kitten that had swallowed a feeding nipple a week ago and it was obvoiusly obstructing it's bowel (poor little sweetheart!) She got much the same reply, TO THE VET NOW!!
It's the ignorance of these people and the familiar cry of 'i've got no money', Yes i'm not well off, BUT my cat's would always go to the vet if unwell and I would beg, steal and borrow to get the money. End of story IMO!
GRRRRRRRRR!  >:(
Oh ,there was 1 good guy on there who wanted to help a feral kitten with a bad eye, to the point of adopting it. He was happy to spend money on the cat without question. I congratulated him and reminded him to also find help for the mother cat and the other kittens as well of course  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 18:07:28 PM »
I remember posting another person reply to a silly question - it was the sort of answer I would love to post.

Along the lines of

You must be the most stupid person on the planet and do not deserve to have animals you idiot  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 18:05:09 PM »
Yes well done I always post angry answers liek GET to a vet now YOU irresponsible fool.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 15:48:35 PM »
Honestly Mark, you deserve a medal  :wish:- Yahoo answers should have you as a paid consultant or something. I daren't think how many welfare disasters you've averted. The fact that you can remain calm and give good advice is a real testament to your diplomacy and self control in the face of extreme provocation! Well done you, and I hope they take on board what you've said.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 14:55:12 PM »
Thanks  :)

It's hard to get the balance right. I only told her the leg probably wasn't broken as the same thing happened to me with Kylie a few years ago. She came in from the garden virtually dragging one back behind her. I panicked and phoned the vet - he asked what she was doing at that minute. I said she was eating and he laughed. He said a broken leg is agony and so she had probably pulled a muscle. He just said if it got any worse to brig her in. Within an hours she was running round the garden again  :evillaugh:

I am nervous about telling yahoo types that kind of thing in case they take it as gospel and think they can save spending money on a vet - after all, she did ask about cost.

I wanted to lecture about insurance but realise you have to be a bit diplomatic for them to listen saying things like "I know you will take him to the vet won't you"  :sneaky:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 14:13:38 PM »
And very tactically put! ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 13:49:20 PM »
that's a perfect answer Mark

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 13:46:51 PM »
I replied that if her cat is eating there is a god chance the bone isn't broken BUT she should speak to a vet to get their advice - and that she owes it to her cat to do something.  I said although cats are good at hiding pain doesn't mean they don't feel it  >:(

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 13:42:13 PM »
OMG and these people are allowed out on their own???

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 13:34:03 PM »
oh dear!  maybe just try and answer the question without getting angry you might help, I know its hard, do you think these are real people or wind ups??

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Yahoo Answers again
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 13:23:31 PM »
I will answer when I am feeling a bit calmer as I will get barred if I answer now

"Think my cat has broken her leg - if I take her to the vet what can they do for her?
She can move around but not as agile as usual, is eating and drinking but lying down alot (more than usual). She is not crying. Do you think I should take her to the vet, what can they do for her andhow much it might cost?"

Link to CatChat