Author Topic: Cat beds  (Read 9201 times)

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
Re: Cat beds
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 16:47:49 PM »
I want to get them a radiator bed but I actually have no free radiator that isn't blocked by furtniture/frequently used for washing! Our house is a complete MESS though to be fair, and there's no space left for anything!

They have a little soft igloo type bed that they have used once or twice but they prefer an old duvet folded up on the arm of the sofa, the couch itself, us,  or our human bed.

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
    • The Pet Extraordinarium
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 13:03:18 PM »
:boxer:   www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk FOR COOL, FUNKY, GOOD QUALITY CAT ACCESSORIES
10% of every order donated to cat rescues if you click on the link at the bottom of the page!!
The Extraordinary Pet Blog - http://thepetextraordinarium.blogspot.com

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 12:48:53 PM »
I generally dislike sales pitch when someone is looking for advice and reccomendations, people who have tried that before have had their posts locked.
I thought businesses/websites had to be approved and then added on the links page....

Can Tan/a mod state the rules please  :thanks:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
My two looove their multitude of beds including the radiator bed, but their absolute favourite is the RSPCA dog duvet from Argos (it's about 17.99 I think) as it's big enough for them both to stretch right out on.  I have two of them and am contemplating a third for their new favourite sleeping place  :Crazy:
They had some of those in TK maxx a while ago quite cheap - £10 I think.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 07:02:46 AM »
I was going to leave this well alone. My instinct is to run for the hills! But...I can't!  :evillaugh:

Milly'smum...I'm a champion of the people! I stand for equality, fairness and healthy competition. I'm a modern day Robin Hood... ;D

I have nothing against Zooplus.....if you like that sort of thing.  ;)  Although it's technically 'competition' to The Pet Extraordinarium, Zooplus is in a different league and we cannot compete with that - and aren't trying to as we'd last about 2 minutes! For everyday stuff, Zooplus does what it says on the tin and, from all accounts does it very well. GO ZOOPLUS!  :cheer:

BUT...Zooplus is a HEEEEEEUUUUUGE company. I wouldn't mind betting that they take in a week what we take in a year, and someone somewhere is getting very, very rich selling tins of cat food and cheap dog beds. And hey, good for them! The Pet Extraordinarium, on the other hand, is a small, family-run business. My partner and I put our house on the line to start the company up 12 months ago and the thought of getting very, very rich is, well...  :rofl:  If we make enough to get by and keep our cats in James Wellbeloved and our bunnies in fresh greens, we're happy! Believe me, you have NO IDEA how competitive the pet market is!

What's more, Zooplus is a different brand proposition entirely to The Pet Extraordinarium. We're Waitrose to their Asda. We're Next to their New Look. We're...well, you get the picture...  In marketing terms, they're a 'value brand', but one that is damn good at what they do. We sell collars, beds, bowls, toys and other stuff that is, very intentionally, of a totally different standard when it comes to quality and style. As a result, our stuff generally costs a bit more. But I bet you that Zooplus doesn't scour the market for decent and different products, test everything they stock personally and only sell items they actually like and would recommend to friends! We do...and maybe that will be our downfall. Maybe we should be more money-focused than product-focused?  :-:

When it comes to charity, I should bloody hope that Zooplus does support charity! A company that size making that much money can certainly afford to and SHOULD have a social conscience! But you know what, so does The Pet Extraordinarium... It may be a drop in the ocean compared to the amount that Zooplus 'donates', but we have in the past had links with The Blue Cross and have been running a campaign in-store since before christmas to raise badly-needed money for the Oxford Animal Sanctuary, our local rescue centre.

Oh yeah, and before you judge me, I've already been in contact with Purrs in our Hearts about trying to work out some way of helping to raise money for them in future...

So there you go. If occasionally I offer advice as to what's the best radiator bed on the market when someone asks, it's because I actually know that's the case because I've seen them! If I occasionally post a link to one of our products as part of a general discussion on cat collars, it's because I genuinly love and believe in what we have to offer people and because, yes, I'd like nothing better than for them to have a look at our website before they make their choice. But I'm not trying to "flog stuff". I'm here because I love my cats and have something in common with you and everyone else reading this.

The Pet Extraordinarium offers cat lovers like you and me a different alternative to Zooplus or Pet Planet, that's all. I believe that we do what we do damn well and offer service that's second to none.
So, hey, GO THE PET EXTRAORDINARIUM!  :cheer:

Now, where did I leave my bow and arrows....?
:boxer:   www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk FOR COOL, FUNKY, GOOD QUALITY CAT ACCESSORIES
10% of every order donated to cat rescues if you click on the link at the bottom of the page!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 17:57:59 PM »
Do you ever stop flogging stuff?  :rofl:

Zooplus supports charitys so are a big hit here

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 10:19:30 AM »
Regarding radiator beds, the Kumfy Kradle is the best in terms of quality, without question. You can get cheaper ones for about £10, but they're pretty flimsy. Some don;t have a 'sleeve' at the back either, so although the cat lays on the bed, their back can be directly against the radiator...OUCH! You call that designing a bed with a cat in mind?! :Crazy:

The Kumfy Kradle can hold up to 12kg, YES TWELVE. Maine Coone? No problem...  :) You also buy it depending on what radiator you've got - either a single or double. So you know it'll fit well. You can find it here: http://www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk/product.asp?c_id=2&s_id=13&p_id=586

Hope that helps.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 20:49:27 PM »
Houston we have winner ... the cat that doesn't like cat beds finally has one he  :Luv: Was in pets at home and they had a lovely blue triangle bed.  I figured since Memphy loves hiding so much he'd like it .. well I've not been able to get him out of it.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 17:07:27 PM »
Dang!
So I figured I'd get the Argos one anyway, seeing it's half price and just incase Jameson doesn't like it. I thought it would be worth trying out and if he really likes it I might invest with a better quality one in the future.
And the outcome:  they have discontinued it in Argos!!! What the h....??? I even checked the website link last night and it said they were in stock. Oh well!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 16:43:50 PM »
Iv got the argos one but havent put it out yet, it looks ok tho. The one currently in use is from zooplus and is ok too. I dont expect a fleecey cover to last forever so think the price is fine  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 12:48:44 PM »
Thanks all for your replies - will check everything out - incl. Ebay, how could I forget? I have bought a lot of very good stuff there lately incl Jamesons favorite toy - the mouse glove (glove with piece of string on each finger with a small mouse at the end - 5 in total) He loves it and have managed to tangle it up for eternity, but he still loves it like it's brand new. I also got a good deal on our Catmate electronic feeder.
Will check out!
Cheers again.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
I see the one Helen recommended is from Smylees. This self-heating bed looks good for older cats or if your house isn't that warm http://www.smyleepets.co.uk/SmyleeMain/popup.asp?CategoryID=15&ProductID=1423

Also this "Sofa Loafer" is a good idea for keep fur off the sofa and looks well cosy  :Luv2: http://www.smyleepets.co.uk/SmyleeMain/popup.asp?CategoryID=15&ProductID=1802

Looks like it's cheaper to buy from them via Ebay though  ;)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 09:50:12 AM »
My two looove their multitude of beds including the radiator bed, but their absolute favourite is the RSPCA dog duvet from Argos (it's about 17.99 I think) as it's big enough for them both to stretch right out on.  I have two of them and am contemplating a third for their new favourite sleeping place  :Crazy:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »
fraser used to sleep in a radiator bed all the time and he was about 6.5 kgs, sebastian also used to sleep in it and he was at that time 9 - 10 kgs (he did bow it eventually but it only got like that after a couple of years and could be bend back in place anyway)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »
Riley is a big boy and he fits in his one just fine, I don't know how much he weighs but I do know that he is too big for me to hold like you would a conventional cat as his legs dangle down and my arms aren't long enough to support them!

I just googled the Canac Cat's cradle and they say it supports 12kg  :Crazy:  It also gets 5 stars from the 'ciao' reviewers, you can get them from lots of places, here's one from a proper pet shop on ebay for £15 delivered. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANAC-CATS-CRADLE-RADIATOR-BED_W0QQitemZ310021212631QQihZ021QQcategoryZ66762QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

There's two verions though, one for a standard radiator and one for a wide (in depth) radiator so check what type of radiator it would be going on if you do get one.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:59:29 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 08:02:24 AM »
They sell a sturdy radiator bed in PAH - also a hammock type one with a metal tubular frame - I may treat Willow to one  :Luv2:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 02:35:35 AM »
I got my snuggle beds and igloo of ebay -the quality is fantastic and i have now had 4 beds and a igloo off this same person and have recommended her to others .
A friend of mine bought 10 last year for her mob!
I have quite heavy cats and no way would i dare have a radiator bed for Winston - he would bring the wall down !!!! :rofl:- He is a BIG boy and  he weighs over a stone !
I can give out the ladys email if anyone is interested and i am allowed to do that .

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 00:25:00 AM »
Thank you!
Do you know anything about the quality on the Argos one? I read the reviews on the Zooplus one and they weren't great although there were only 11 reviews.
Where did you all buy yours from? My cat is a bit of a beast (5kg) so need a sturdy one..

Edited to say: I just googled a few Argos reviews and they aren't great either - people keep complaining about the material sliding off, and that it's not built for big(ger) cats.  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 00:34:14 AM by jamesonsmum »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 22:11:28 PM »
My 4 have about 12 beds and 7 large scratching posts with beds on them and  between them they use all of them at different times .
If its really cold Winston goes in his large igloo bed -which also has a flecta bed in it so its extra warm , Smartie (when he isn''t in the sink drainer !!!) likes a snuggle bed with extra fleece in it and a warm snuggle pad .
Bungle has a little house with fleece in and Sophie has a dufflebag bed (fleecy !) .
They also sleep with me at night Sophie on one side , Bungly on pillow -Smartie on my head !!! -literally ! And Winston occasionally gets on my pillow if Smartie isn''t there !
So all in all they have a good choice every day .

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 21:43:00 PM »
I have bought cats beds and igloos and nooooooo they dont sleep in them, well not a lot  :rofl:

Misa sleeps in his downstairs filing tray and snoozes in the upstairs one,,,,,,,,,,,,on top of desk! Sasa will sleep in bathroom,  under sideboard and in kitchen and wont use any of sofas any more as Franta gets on them.........she used to sleep at one end with birmans the other but no more  :'(

Ducha sleeps pogos all over my head at night and then tries to push me out of bed in morning so he can have it all................guess he gets tired from me moving around trying to miss his tail all night.  ;D

I have no idea where Franta sleeps and wonder if he does at night, he just guards places to make it difficult for Misa and Sasa! During day he will sleep on the bed.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 21:21:36 PM »
I think I shall give the radiator bed a go.... Where do you buy it from?

You can get them pretty much anywhere - Argos have them in the sale for just £3.59 - bargainous!  http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8704951/Trail/searchtext%3ECAT+BED.htm

or there's Zooplus http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ask?query=cat+radiator+bed&submit=search+%3E

Riley's The boys' one is a Canac cat's cradle and they give it the paws up for comfort  :)

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 21:09:41 PM »
Cosmo sleeps on the floor under the radiator bed; Jessie sleeps on the floor next to the radiator.  Cosmo would sleep in his bed but Jessie wees/poohs in it  >:( so have cleaned and put away (having tried several times with the same result :tired:).  Otherwise, it's on the back of the sofas, chairs, under the bed and in their pet carrier which is also next to the radiator so gets nice and cosy...

They tend not to sleep on our bed when we're in it as me and the OH are both quite restless sleepers  :evillaugh: but do during the day 'cos we've got a 4 seasons duvet and when both duvets are put together it's nice 'n' squishy and they can "nest"

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 20:50:54 PM »
Mary sleeps on the Old sofa cushion, on the sofa or  on top of the book case were shes currently Snooring  :innocent:  under the bed in her bed or on the mat under the  bed Before she came to me she slept on top of the Tv set  :shocked:   now and again in cat tree

And not on the large fleecy cushion i bought her or the expensive igloo bed  :innocent:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 20:20:36 PM »
I think I shall give the radiator bed a go.... Where do you buy it from?

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
  • Jessica pooh,Chi man,Chicken
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 19:51:44 PM »
My cats love radiator beds!!!!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 19:48:52 PM »
Dragan loved his furry house bed (from Jollyes) and Charlie wont set foot in his one.  Charlie also has a small dog bed which he does sleep in occasionally but he prefers the backs of chairs, dining table, floor and my bed.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 19:40:51 PM »
Bertie loved his radiator bed - the new boys haven't yet discovered it but will give them time.

Bertie loved it to the point he would be flaked out on his back with a leg hanging over the edge - very amusing!

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 19:29:10 PM »
Having an inclination cody has been feeling the chill abit lately i was gonna get him a radiator bed then realised when we move there wont be any so thought it a waste of money..must still get him a cosier bed but not sure what yet.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 19:12:55 PM »
Whiskas bed!  I once bid £40 for one on eBay in a moment of delusion that the cats might actually use it ... then remembered that the only time any of them has ever "used" a bed was when Bertie weed on one, and was very relieved when someone else put in a higher bid  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 19:08:28 PM »
The boys have lots of cat beds, they do sleep in most of them now and again but the only beds that get regular use are my bed and the radiator bed so I definitely think Sir Jameson should be given one  :)

Here's Riley chilling in his radiator bed (note the expensive and IGNORED Whiskas bed in the background  :innocent:)

The hideous moment when Lukey was discovered in Riley's radiator bed  >:(

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 18:29:55 PM »
We have two cat beds that are steadfastly ignored by all three cats  :rofl: :rofl:  Bertie's preferred sleeping place is on top of the wardrobe, Bella's is under the duvet, and Minnie's is either on the end of the bed or on an old jumper under the bed  :Crazy:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 18:24:43 PM »
This is a touchy subject in this house! Memphy has 2 different types of beds .. both lovely and squishy yet he never ever uses them. He will happily sleep in the dog bed ... otherwise he sleeps on one of the dining room chairs, the chair under my desk. If he's being confined he sleeps on a person bed. His most preferred sleeping place is on a human.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Why is it...
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 17:53:07 PM »
My lot have a hooded bed, basket bed, cardboard box bed, bed in a scratching post bed, pyramid bed and a radiator bed. They use all of them plus our beds, windowsills, sofa and chairs  :evillaugh:

Simon loves his radiator bed, they ignored it at first so i put a few treats in it and that got his attention  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 17:52:09 PM »
I think cat radiator beds are extremely popular  ;)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Cat beds
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 17:48:21 PM »
Jameson has at least 3 beds round the house, and he still chooses to sleep in ours. They are beds made of old snuggly furry blankets.

Has anyone had their cats trying out that cat-bed that hangs onto a radiator? I really like the look of it, not sure what Sir Jameson would think of it though. And with 'normal' basket-style cat-beds; do they use them? Or rather sleep on sofa/in your bed?

Any other recommendations for cat beds that cats might actually sleep in are welcome!

(in Jamesons old home he was allowed to sleep anywhere and mainly slept in the bed, so I appreciate it might be hard to teach him to sleep elsewhere)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 17:53:12 PM by jamesonsmum »

Link to CatChat