Author Topic: trimming cats claws?  (Read 7650 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: trimming cats claws?
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 19:05:01 PM »
Mine all get their claws trimmed one a fortnight - they play really rough and it avoids injuries (to them and me)
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 03:14:02 AM »
Noah's claws need clipping, he keeps getting caught on stuff. Last time the vet did them, and I warned he was a biter but they said he was as good as gold so I probably looked like a neurotic meowmy! :doh: Noah doesn't mind me getting the clippers out but he pulls away his paws, wriggles and tries to nip if I persevere. Anyone have any tips how to clip a biters paws??

I have started with the clicker again, after two sessions my clever boy will tap my hand briefly for a prawn, really should have stuck with the training. He already knows down, up and sit for his food, but I didn't manage to master stay as he gets overexcited when prawns are about! :evillaugh:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 18:07:58 PM »
I can lend anyone a dimwitted cat who just rejoices in the mistaken belief it's kitty cuddles time if you're wanting technique practise on this! Used to use proper cat claw clippers (poundshop occasionally sells them), but when they broke I just started using normal nail clippers and they do the job better to be honest - I just take the very very tips off to reduce the human pincushion effect to a bearable pain level - despite her having scratching posts a plenty - she's a lazy so and so that won't use them! I don't ever want to take her claws too low as I know she has to dig in to compensate for her lack of a back leg to help her jump onto things, but sometimes you've got to save your human legs!

Seriously - she'll sit and purr while you do it - but then hubby trained her to tap you with her paw for cuddles anyway so she even sticks her foot out in anticipation!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 20:48:41 PM »
Maybe a flap so she can go out to the loo?
I used to clip some of my lot (the ones who use a human lap!) and they scratched more to resharpen them, they used their posts tho so it wasnt a problem.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 13:52:14 PM »
Black claws are a nightmare to trim as you can't see the quick, Max had very dark claws and they were very difficult, Poots are much, much easier  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 13:20:07 PM »
I really need to do Dave's as he sounds like he's wearing high heels, tiptappin on the wooden floors :evillaugh: It's difficult on my own though, he's really funny about his feet and it's hit and miss whether he will let me touch them but I have been trying to desensitise him as it used to not bother him at all. He's a big lad so keeping him still and all my limbs intact would be near impossible :evillaugh: He needs front and back done.

Chilli on the other hand sits very patiently for one paw then starts to get annoyed with the second one, I usually have to fight with a little and get grumbled at but she never scratches :) Not tried to do her back ones as they've never been an issue but noticed recently they could do with a trim, probably not do front and back all at once though :shify: Oh and she has white claws, never seen black claws before :-:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »
I pay about £6 at the vets, so I do all mine myself - Molly and Ellie are black and both have white claws. Ellies really need doing, but I broke her trust last time I pinned her down, it has taken her weeks to relax enough to sit near me.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »
I trimmed Jaffa's the other night and you'd think I was torturing him.  I only do the front ones as trimming the back ones is definitely a 2 person job, but as he was sat on the floor squashed up against me, I managed to get a couple of the back ones that were extended so was chuffed about that  ;D

I think I have asked the vet to trim them when I've been there for something else and there was no charge, but I expect there would be if I made a special trip.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 16:46:47 PM »
I think our vet has a vet nurse clinic where claws can be cut and its around £5.
love
Tab

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 13:22:05 PM »
I don't think I was ever charged either, but it was always part of an appointment with Maxy checking for something else, so don't know I'm afraid .

Luckily Poot is a bit easier with his claws, but he does the carpet scratching thing too so I have to keep them well trimmed or my Landlord would have a fit  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »
I don't think my vet charges, she used to just do it if I asked whilst I was there with Schui for some other reason.  I had to make sure his were kept short because he would panic if they got caught and wouldn't lay on certain fabrics if they were long and I couldn't do it because he wasn't keen on his paws touching.  My vet used to have to use the dog ones though they were so thick and he didn't half swear at her  :evillaugh:
Byron and Pepper I can cut myself but don't do it often.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
Thought I would revive this thread as I need to get Kiki's claws trimmed. She has the awful habit of ripping at the carpet pile to get our attention. It's usually when she wants to go to the loo in the morning (she now prefers to go in the garden since we got it catproofed) I try not to 'reward' her for doing it but the pile literally flies in the air when she is doing it, so I try to distract her, but its hard at 6.15am to distract her! There are scratch posts everywhere which she does use, she just does the carpet as well :doh:

So I thought that perhaps trimming them might stop the shear amount of pile she keeps bringing up and maybe break the habit in some way?? My question is; do vets charge a lot for trimming claws? I doubt Kiki would let me do it for her (she can be a little madam at times)

Any advice appreciated  ;D

Mojo

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 17:31:06 PM »
Tobys scratch is healing up nicely and I think I might ask my local pet shop of they do cat claws. If not, its off to find a groomer ;)

I dont know what your local petshop is like but the staff in mine shouldnt be allowed to hold a flea let alone clip my cats claws  :scared: :scared:

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 18:58:51 PM »
i know every time we do Phoenix's claws she literally grumbles like the little lady she is its quite cute tho

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 18:23:36 PM »
Well done hun as its not an easy thing to do  :1st place:

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 18:04:39 PM »
Well I tried it, and well it was not as dramatic an operation as I had feared!! ;D  I chose the moment when he was waking up from his nap, awake enough not to startle him but still in the sleepy laid back state, and the comfort of directly on the bed.  I used the same nail clipper we use. Clipping didn't frighten or shock him, the only problem was that he saw the clipper as a toy and wanted to play with it.  This often happens when I am brushing him so I just put my arms around him gently and stroked him to soothe him, tactics not 100% effective but today it worked, and all claws from the front paws were neatly clipped without too much fuss.

The first couple of times I was too tentative and couldn't make the clear cut, then I got more savvy, I realised you just have to gather up confidence and make a decisive quick snap as soon as it was placed on the right spot.
Well for the first time fronts were enough for me as I suspect those are the main culprits, and the back are more difficult to get at.  We will see how it goes and if the trim on the back seems necessary I may do that with the help of Cris.

Depends on the cat  :censored: :evillaugh:   

Mary squeals and struggles like banshee but i have learned to just get it done if its not finished shell shoot off to hide under the bed but if its done just disappear so i can lick my wounds  :evillaugh:  then come back to sleep on the sofa

But really, it was not that hard... it maybe worth a try at home! ;)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 16:40:36 PM »
I have lived and learned the very same thing many times over the years  :evillaugh:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 16:38:28 PM »
Clare gets the right answer :rofl:

You gotta live and learn, ya know :evillaugh: ;)

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 16:16:46 PM »
Yay, well done  ;D

Was this before or after the 'valentine' thread saga  :evillaugh:

actually, I assume after with your sustained injuries  ;)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 16:05:19 PM »
Well I tried it, and well it was not as dramatic an operation as I had feared!! ;D  I chose the moment when he was waking up from his nap, awake enough not to startle him but still in the sleepy laid back state, and the comfort of directly on the bed.  I used the same nail clipper we use. Clipping didn't frighten or shock him, the only problem was that he saw the clipper as a toy and wanted to play with it.  This often happens when I am brushing him so I just put my arms around him gently and stroked him to soothe him, tactics not 100% effective but today it worked, and all claws from the front paws were neatly clipped without too much fuss.

The first couple of times I was too tentative and couldn't make the clear cut, then I got more savvy, I realised you just have to gather up confidence and make a decisive quick snap as soon as it was placed on the right spot.
Well for the first time fronts were enough for me as I suspect those are the main culprits, and the back are more difficult to get at.  We will see how it goes and if the trim on the back seems necessary I may do that with the help of Cris.

But really, it was not that hard... it maybe worth a try at home! ;)

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »
Pity you aren't my way - Nottinghamshire - I would have come and done them for you hun x

What a lovely gesture  :)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Pity you aren't my way - Nottinghamshire - I would have come and done them for you hun x

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »
thanks for all your help guys.   :) You are great.

Tobys scratch is healing up nicely and I think I might ask my local pet shop of they do cat claws. If not, its off to find a groomer ;)

Anyone know of a good one in North London? ;)

If I am shown how to do it once I might feel more confident about doing it myself the next time. I hope ...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:34:16 AM by melysion »

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »

So I do all their claws every 3 weeks or so. Thats 11 cats, 44 paws LOL! - but I stagger it, so's I'm doing a couple of cats a day, just have to remember which I've done  :evillaugh:

Yes i stagger my lot too

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 19:43:33 PM »
btw human nail clipperss can be a lot easier and less fiddley than animal clippers

Yes I agree I just use human toenail clippers for my lot, like these next to the rubber brush

So I do all their claws every 3 weeks or so. Thats 11 cats, 44 paws LOL! - but I stagger it, so's I'm doing a couple of cats a day, just have to remember which I've done  :evillaugh:

This is a good pictorial for clipping claws if you're a beginner http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 19:23:43 PM »
Kylie and willow have white claws and they are black  ;D

Told you my boy liked being awkward  :evillaugh:

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 16:46:00 PM »
I take Lily down to the local pet shop, the owner does front and back for £3 and she also sells birds and rabbits so there's lots for Lily to concentrate on other than her claws.  I get them done every 4 weeks or so, or when I notice they're getting sharp again.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 16:43:58 PM »
I clip my lots claws and they have outdoor access. That way they can pad on a lap and the lap owner doesnt have to bleed  :evillaugh:
Only take the tips off tho when i remember, normally once my lap is bleeding  :doh:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 16:42:41 PM »
I trim Memphis' claws. I've gotten him used to it since he was really ickle. He's excellant and just sits on my lap, so its all done very quickly.

I also use my nai clippers.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 16:30:44 PM »
btw human nail clipperss can be a lot easier and less fiddley than animal clippers

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 16:30:16 PM »
Kylie and willow have white claws and they are black  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 16:28:53 PM »
This is where I prove that Amber is a cat of little brain. I get the clippers out of the drawer and say come on then. She jumps up and rubs against them. I pick her up and tuck her between me and the cushion and clip her front claws. Shes less happy about the back ones and they dont get done often but when they need it I just flip her on her back and do them. SHe has been known to scream as though Im chopping her toes off and I just put her the right way up and let go and she comes straight back purring.

Then again last time I did them when a friend was here Mogs came up and stuck her foot out so I could do hers as well and that was a first and probably last
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
love
Tab

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 16:09:20 PM »
 :evillaugh: My little monster likes to make life difficult for me, as if him squirming doesn't make claw trimming challenging enough  :rofl:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 16:00:27 PM »
As Clare said though be careful not to go too deep, just the tip and never touch the pinky area.  Good luck!! :hug:

Although easier said than done if you cat has dark claws like Max does  :evillaugh:

Forgot about a black cat has dark claws... :doh:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 15:57:07 PM »
As Clare said though be careful not to go too deep, just the tip and never touch the pinky area.  Good luck!! :hug:

Although easier said than done if you cat has dark claws like Max does  :evillaugh:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 15:55:54 PM »
We have been considering this for a while as he has punctured too many holes in our sheets while he runs around on it, just haven't gathered the nerves to get on with the act. 
Many people who have indoor cats on this forum do it themselves.  In many cases they get used to it quite quickly so they say, but it also can depend on the cat.  The other day Cris quickly nipped the tip of his claw while he was clipping his own nail, (as usual Oliver came near being a curious monkey) he slightly flinched but didn't freak out, which was an encouraging sign.
I would say it will be much easier if done with two people one holding and fussing him to distract him, and one concentrating on the operation.  Our vet taught me a trick to distract a cat, to scratch vigorously in between his ears, which worked wonderfully when he gave him the vaccination.  We may try that tactics too.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 15:55:38 PM »
I trim Jaffa and Mosi's every couple of weeks.  It's not hard to do once you get used to it.  Jaffa grumbles and Mosi wriggles, but both tolerate it.

I sit on the floor on my heels, with the cat wedged between my knees and facing outwards.  My arms go around the cat to hold him in place and to reach the front paws.  I lift the paw firml with my left hand and press the toes to expose the claw, then clip with my right hand.  They can't back out because they're wedged between my knees and they can't run forward because of the combination of knees and arms!  I used to do Mosi's when he was sleepy on my lap, but now I find it easier with both of them to just grab them and get it over with quickly.

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 15:49:54 PM »
if he won't tend to them himself get them clipped.
Jet (RIP) wouldn't use a scratching post nor go outside often enough to shorten them so the Vet would do hers for me (otherwise i would get covered in scratches :( )
being indoors doesn't give enough opportunity to deal with them as a normal in/outdoor cat would.
I see no harm in having them clipped, just bare in mind his climbing abilities won't be as good after they're clipped so if you have platforms he would climb onto he might have difficulty with them in the short-term.
I know some vets are reluctant to clip claws but if you explain he is indoor only they should be okay.
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 15:48:35 PM »
Hiya, I trim my boy Max's claws and he's an indoor only cat too  ;D

It usually takes two of us to do it, J usually sits him on his lap and gives him fuss, and I merrily clip just the very ends off his claws.

You can get proper clippers for the job, but I found these very awkward and now just use my own nail clippers.

You can get the vets to do them, mine charged about £5 or so, but I just do them myself now, if you keep doing them regularly its only the very tip which needs to come off which makes it easier.......you have to be careful not to cut into the quick (the coloured bit in the claw) as it can bleed.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
trimming cats claws?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 15:44:23 PM »
Toby scratched his face yesterday with one of his claws. Well it looks like a scratch - I noticed it last night - its sort of between his eye and ear. It looked very sore last night but better this morning before i went to work.

He has sharp little claws - and someone suggested I ought to get them trimmed so he doesnt scratch his face again.

Toby is an indoor only cat and I was wondering whether other indoor cats here get their claws trimmed? I think a lot of people in the US get their cats claws trimmed - either by doing it themselves or going to a groomer and I was wondering what the consensus here is. How easy is it to do it yourself? Or do you go to a groomer?

Any advice appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 15:45:36 PM by melysion »

Link to CatChat