Author Topic: Now....Oddball appreciation thread!!  (Read 8439 times)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Re: Now....Oddball appreciation thread!!
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2008, 13:22:22 PM »
Another gorgeous addition to the club, welcome Roshan and Noor!!  Love the names!! ;D

Jo, Smidgen's ticked fur is so stunning!  How lovely to see him snuggling with Shadow! :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »
In our dreams Ruth, Christine has had a special love for these 2 for a very long time,sadly I dont think Blip shares the same admiration.  :rofl:

Sadly, you are right on both counts, Teresa  :(

Considering the amount of times Blip is on Tabby Patrol for the visitor the garden, I would think two little black and white imposters would not amuse her  :briggin:

And you are right too, Ruth.  Only yesterday she chased our neighbours' little tabby cat so aggressively that the youngster had to make a death-defying leap from one (single storey) roof to another across a very wide gap  :scared:

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2008, 21:05:54 PM »
Considering the amount of times Blip is on Tabby Patrol for the visitor the garden, I would think two little black and white imposters would not amuse her  :briggin:

Aw what a pity thought, they are gorgeous babies. You know me and Black and Whites T. Can't resist  :Luv2:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2008, 20:45:50 PM »
In our dreams Ruth, Christine has had a special love for these 2 for a very long time,sadly I dont think Blip shares the same admiration.  :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2008, 20:05:03 PM »
Eh eh.. what's that? Does that mean I gets to visit more puddies in London soon  :naughty:

Love to see Minimopsical giving them the wisdom of her experience with the scratcher.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 19:56:50 PM »
Roshan and Noor 2 gorgeous oddballs but they arent telling their secret :rofl:

Havent they grown?  I keep asking myself if they would adapt to a life down south...

I could answer that when I deliver them  :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2008, 19:54:42 PM »

Havent they grown?  I keep asking myself if they would adapt to a life down south...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2008, 19:50:33 PM »

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 18:07:20 PM »
Ticked tabby

and white  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 17:23:31 PM »
Your welcome, white and tabby cats aren't that rare, although I can't think of any members who currently have one.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 14:47:38 PM »
Smidgen thinks Mango is the bees knees., I can barely type he is so keen for me to go back to the last screen!!

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 14:13:30 PM »
Thanks Desley, I had thought just as you did, I just didn't want to classify him as simply "tabby" because he has much more white than the tabby spots. 
Thanks also for the article... I used to know a beautiful calico cat who always hang about in a nearby park, we always called the cat "he" as the cat looked and behaved like a male cat, but hmmm, I could well have been wrong... :-[  Well that also tells you you can't always stereotype by genders...

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 11:18:30 AM »
I would class Oliver as a white and tabby, I can't see enough ginger to class him as a tortie. There are 2 ways of getting a male tortie, they either have an extra chromosome, or it is two eggs fused together, and you can get fertile male torties, but they dont produce anything spectacular kitten wise. Here is an interesting article that explains it better than me.

http://www.messybeast.com/mosaicism.htm
Please spay your cat

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 21:39:49 PM »
Welcome to the club Mango!!  She is sooooo beautiful!! :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 21:34:41 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 21:27:26 PM »
Had to add Mango (Bear) to the oddball thread, she is also Smidgen's double (ish)....

Check out the ticking!!!

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 14:39:05 PM »
Thanks for that tip Licia, I'll have a go and see what happens (blows up computer  :rofl: :rofl:).  Seriously I will try that and see if it works.  If it does I will awaken the sleeping beauty (or large black blob) and immortalise him.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 15:59:49 PM »
That is a really good question.  The answer is, when my beloved remembers where he put the camera/computer connection lead - he says he put it away safely, so we'll probably end up buying another one.  I suggested that the other day, and he told me "I haven't lost it, I just don't know where it is"!!!!!! Men  :rofl: :rofl:

Oh that would make me mad!!  I always have to look at the piccies in full size right away every time we take some photos!!  Do you have a connection holder (which looks like a pen drive with a slot to insert the card) for SD cards?  You could take out the card from the camera and connect it to the puter also... it may be easier to find and cheaper than getting another connection lead even if you don't have one! ;)

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 15:48:35 PM »
That is a really good question.  The answer is, when my beloved remembers where he put the camera/computer connection lead - he says he put it away safely, so we'll probably end up buying another one.  I suggested that the other day, and he told me "I haven't lost it, I just don't know where it is"!!!!!! Men  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 15:44:38 PM »
Licia, tell Ollie he is in a class of his own and so beautiful that he cannot be categorized  :Luv:  By the way, I didn't realise he was entering the Olympics - is he doing gymnastics or weightlifting?

Thank you Puddy!!  He is quite athletic though he seems to think our barbell to be another one of his toys to play with, you should see all those mad jumps he performs while playing!!  However probably he needs to slim down quite a lot to be an Olympic class I am afraid... :evillaugh:

BTW when do we get to meet YOUR Oliver??? ;)

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 15:13:10 PM »
Licia, tell Ollie he is in a class of his own and so beautiful that he cannot be categorized  :Luv:  By the way, I didn't realise he was entering the Olympics - is he doing gymnastics or weightlifting?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 14:38:31 PM »
Keep taking the tablets Leigh!!  :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 14:33:36 PM »
Oddball's cool  ;D

Cheer's

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 14:12:43 PM »
Thanks Oliver, I am rather pretty aren't I  :naughty: :Luv2: :rofl:
My last owner didn't take me to the vet when I had a rash so the RSPCA took me off them in May and they took my tail off and made me better.  I know my mummy will look after me because her 1st cat was 26 and Smudge, who is missing is 13.  I'm only 10 so I'm gonna have lots of happy years here. I don't need to do any exercises as I'm just about right.  :naughty: :Luv2:

Love Bonnie xx
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 13:31:15 PM »
Wow... Oliver is now rather full of himself, having generated such a technical discussion over "tortiness".... ;D
Gizzy and Thomas, great to have you guys in this thread, see we are also a stunning handsome bunch, aren't we!! ;)
Thank you auntie Bonnie, oooh, I am sorry you have lost your tail, but I see it didn't take away one bit of your beauty!!  Yes my mummy always encourages me to get some exercise as I am getting a little chubby, but I still manage to pass under the bar without getting stuck, when I no longer manage, maybe I will start some bench presses and push ups too... :innocent:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 23:33:47 PM »
Can my naughty Gizzy be added to this thread please? Defo not a tortie but 100% oddball  :P ;)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 23:31:28 PM »
Here's a picture of my bridge feral boy, Mr Thomas - and you can clearly see that his ahem, feather dusters, are the same colour as the tan on Oliver.

Not a tortie, just a very gorgeous white & tabby boy - almost "Van" markings, don't you think?

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 23:20:13 PM »
TBH, I don't think Oli ia a tortie at all - that just looks like a natural variation in the pigment to me. Non-ped (& non-show) tabbies tend to have warmer tones below the "waterline" than above.

He looks a lot like my best mate's cat Jerry tho.  :sneaky:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 22:54:36 PM »
no, a tri-colour is one that has black, white and ginger on it. Oliver and Smidgen are both black, white and ginger in that they have all three colours on each coloured hair and also have ginger bits, in smidgen's case under his tail, and on is face. In Olivers case, a ginger spot on his flank. The 'black' on Smidgen is his black tabby stripes on his face as well as the black tips to each of his coloured hairs ...

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 22:51:24 PM »
Tri colours are Tabby and white arn't they? Thats what Oliver and Smidgen look like to me.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 22:48:49 PM »
Oliver I don't care what name they want to give you - I luuuuuuVV u.  You think you've got problems with a bent tail - someone took mine away from me in May  :evillaugh: Very impressive with the weight lifting - do you do press ups too?  :naughty:

Lots of love, Bonnie  :Luv2:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 22:41:53 PM »
basically torti is a sex-linked gene, so a male cat can not be a torti. If he is, he is generally sterile because his genes are muddled (in very simplistic terms). A vet I once worked for reckoned if you found a male torti who was fertile you could make a fortune because it would allow the breeding of colour-ways not previously possible. Won't go into the complexities of the genetic process right now (too many glasses of wine tonight!!) but basically it is not possible to get a male torti ... so not quite sure what you would call a tricolour male if it is not a torti ... But Smidgen and Oliver are definitely tri-colours, so seems even the experts get it wrong at times ...

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 22:33:17 PM »
There is a heated debate going on here between the cc cats, they are trying to get a pic of me on here  :shocked:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 22:29:50 PM »
Lol I was just wondering, I watched the videos of Smidgen yesterday and thought god, he has changed a lot!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the explanation and yes that is exactly what Oliver is, he has a multi coloured fur on his non-white sections, silver, white, light grey, and mostly dark at the tip!!  Now I know the proper name for his fur pattern!! :wow:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 22:06:58 PM »
A ticked, or agouti coat is one where each individual hair has more than one (ideally at least 3) colours on it. Smidgens are white at the base, with a little ginger and then black at the tip. It is the original colour of wild cats, and usually occurs in most tabbies ... abyssinians, being close to the original Egyptian cat, are the most noted for this characteristic but it can occur in any strain of moggy as well.

Edited to add that this is not actually smidgen but his little sister - I just noticed the black spot on her nose - but all the litter, male and female, were tri-colours
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 22:08:21 PM by blackcat »

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 21:59:49 PM »
Ohhh Smidgen is a darling, I think his tortiness is more marked as he has more prominent ginger patches than Oliver, as I said his looks more "accidental" :evillaugh:  So that makes 2 male torties! :wow:  I wonder what makes male torties so rare, it never occured to me.  :-: 
BTW, what is exactly the definition of "ticked"?  I ought to learn how to describe the colouring of my boy properly.... :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 21:40:24 PM »
Do I have to put my pedigrees in here as they dont fit the other categories ?  :shify: :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 21:38:43 PM »
methinks one of his ancestors was frightened by an abyssinian, because your description sounds just like my Smidgen - warm ticked tabby with ginger bits and white ...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 21:32:11 PM »
Wow so we have our first very rare tortie male  :Luv2: :Luv2:

And so handsome, your gain is definately someones loss.

Love the story  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 18:55:06 PM »
Yes, he does have a little orangy patch on his side, as you can see on the first two piccies below.  His grey spots have a warmer tone not bluish like Chartreux or Russian blue, and depending on the lighting it looks more brownish.  Then the stripe on the tip of his tail is more marked and definitely black.  Actually the former meowmy Devi told me he was left behind after his siblings (ginger tabby, white with a Siamese like lilac points with blue eyes, and a calico) were adopted because his coat looked plain, obscure and less attractive.  IMO it's hard to believe, but well that's okay it's everyone else's loss and I got to be his lucky slave now :P :Luv2: ;)

BTW a funny episode regarding that orangy patch, Cris, seeing it just after we brought him home for the first time, grabbed a kitchen roll and started rubbing him briskly... he thought the poor boy soiled himself until I mentioned I already saw that spot on the previous piccies Devi has sent me!! :rofl: :rofl:

Link to CatChat