Author Topic: Yahoo answers  (Read 8893 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Yahoo answers
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 18:27:16 PM »
Hmmm, have been trawling Answers this afternoon and sent a few curt emails. Now one of the people who I told off has invited me to be their contact... I know that this does not mean they can get in touch with me directly, but why would someone do that when I told them they were being irresponsible by breeding their female dog?  :Crazy:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 21:39:28 PM »
Well I've just been to my yahoo mailbox (which I rarely check because I only set it up so that I could answer Yahoo Answers) and I've got 15 emails telling me my answer has been chosen as the best answer.  :rofl:  I assume they only send one email when your answer is chosen as the best answer?  Oh well, at least someone is taking notice of my answers!  ;D

That place does make me despair at times though.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 14:25:32 PM »
Logical conclusion being: he should be killed for eating the cow that went into his shepherd's pie!

This is a bit like the old lady who swallowed a fly!! :shocked:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 14:26:46 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 19:38:22 PM »
I just get angry when I look at it. I'm sure half the questions are made up (well I hope they are!) I just saw one that said "How many of you like cats" - First I thought it was a dumb question as surely only cat lovers look at the cat section? - They went on to elaborate that they had trapped a cat in a cupboard. It had got in their house and eaten their budgie. Should they let their Python eat the cat? (also said the cat had a name tag saying Trixie) I hope it was just an attention-seeker  :scared: - anyway, most of the answers were as dumb as the question  :Crazy:

erm, no, the question was updated with the remark that if the snake should be killed for following its instincts and eating the cat (which was apparently the response of many posters) then logically the cat he had trappded in his house for killing his canary should therefore be killed for following its instincts ... Definitely a troll I hope ...

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 14:23:46 PM »
I posted something on there a couple of days ago -
Pointing out a) NOT TO LEAVE A CAT FOR A WEEK UNWELL , b) IF YOU CANT AFFORD TREATMENT THEN DONT GET A CAT, c) DECLAWING IS CRUEL AND DOES NOT NEED TO BE DONE and d) GET YOUR CATS "FIXED"

and...................My post was removed !!!!!!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
There are a lot of trolls and sometimes it's hard to tell whether someone is a troll or just an idiot.  There are a lot of questions like "I cut off my cats whiskas for fun - will it harm him?" (that was on last night).  And there are a lot of people with cats peeing outside the box who aren't really posting for advice but to say that they are getting rid of the stupid, ungrateful thing or something to that effect.  Then there are those asking where they can get a cheap kitten from   >:(

I wrote a really long answer out last night for someone who said she was getting rid of her cat because it was peeing outside the box.  She wanted to know whether the cat would forget her.  I gave her loads of advice on how to try and deal with the problem so I hope she took it all in and is prepared to try out the advice and not give up on the cat just yet.

edit - one of my answers has been chosen as best answer  ;D :yayyy: :yayyy:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:06:09 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 08:09:49 AM »
I hope that was all fiction. But you never know with some people  :censored:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 08:02:48 AM »
I just get angry when I look at it. I'm sure half the questions are made up (well I hope they are!) I just saw one that said "How many of you like cats" - First I thought it was a dumb question as surely only cat lovers look at the cat section? - They went on to elaborate that they had trapped a cat in a cupboard. It had got in their house and eaten their budgie. Should they let their Python eat the cat? (also said the cat had a name tag saying Trixie) I hope it was just an attention-seeker  :scared: - anyway, most of the answers were as dumb as the question  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 07:59:47 AM »
Very valid point BC, it is nice to know you have been able to help someone, and make a change to their cats life.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 23:00:54 PM »
True, but you can also help people who are comprehensively ill-informed by providing them with new information. If we all sit in our own little world where everyone has the same basic knowledge set and the same basic outlook the world would be a pretty dull place. With the internet we can share ideas and thoughts. And ok, many of the ideas and thoughts out there are either comprehensively dumb or scary, but you can also change someones life a little bit and let them know they are not alone. I just got another best answer from someone who was having major probs and she seems to think I helped her sort out her thoughts - I think that is a wonderful thought to go to bed with tonight  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 21:45:02 PM »
The problem with the internet is that you have easy access to idiots all over the world.  Before cyberspace, I was happily unaware that these people existed.  It sometimes makes me despair of the human race.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 21:38:21 PM »
yes, you certainly have to dumb it down to the level of the asker, that's for sure ...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 21:32:11 PM »
There seem to be some particularly idiotic people posting stupid questions at the moment.  I just can't be bothered with them.  I very much doubt that any of my answers will be chosen as a best answer since I tend to be rather direct over there (well, sometimes  ;) ) as I get impatient with some of the stupid questions and most of my answers are clearly not what the asker would like to hear!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 21:20:13 PM »
well I am feeling pretty chuffed right now, I have had three 'best answers chosen by asker' and two of them said spay your cat. NOW, only of course much more nicely than that. (the third one was tips on chatting up a recently widowed man ...  :-[ )

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 00:09:44 AM »
The ones that get me are 'my cat has been sick for a week and hasn't eaten anything for 3 days and is lethargic and losing weight.  what is wrong with him?'  erm, take him to a vet you  :censored:  There also seem to be quite a few on there from people wanting a 'cheap kitten'  >:(  I get really p'd off when I go on there, but all you can do is try to give a sensible answer where you think it might help. 

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 23:56:34 PM »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 23:37:07 PM »
Yahoo  :censored: :censored: I'm amazed, or am I ?  we all know how stupid some people can be BUT unfortunately some people are naive enough to believe the stupid advice.  :Crazy:

The one that got me was the declawed one  :censored: :censored: :censored:  I've had Bonnie since December, she is 10 and I love her to bits, however, she has clawed the seat and one of the arms on my leather settee - declaw her - NO WAY  - I bought 2 small throw/blankets to put over the settee - SORTED!  :)
Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 13:22:35 PM »
I posted here about yahoo answers ages ago, but nobody replied - I thought nobody was interested :(  Good to see that some people ARE trying to do what little good we can there.  I've already contacted them to suggest they put some sort of warning up, and to suggest a vet when your cat is ill, but obviously they either don't bother reading my emails, or just don't care.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »
I wish I'd never discovered yahoo answers!  I've just spend ages on there  :rofl:  There are some incredibly stupid people on there and I'm afraid I call a spade a spade and don't hold back.  It's amazing how many people post about sick cats and say don't respond if the answer is take the cat to a vet.  I try to ignore most of the stupid ones or ones where a lot of people have given a sensible answer, and just respond to the ones where I feel a different answer is needed or some re-enforcement of existing answers.  The thing about a forum such as Purrs is that we all love cats and will go out of our way to do what's right for our furbabes.  It's easy to forget that there are a lot of people out there who are very ignorant about cat care and some that don't really care all that much. 

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 10:26:24 AM »
OMG! some of the questions are crazy! I wish i didn't look!!

Some of the answers are appalling too, I do wonder about the mentality of some people I.e what can i do to stop my cats ear bleeding?

My Response - what are you doing posting on here get the poor fella to the vets asap! (i didn't post this it's what i thought!!)
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
I've joined too. My main answer to the questions is: get your cat spayed!  There are masses of 'kittens' floating around on Yahoo Q's.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 23:35:30 PM »
Grrrr - I should never have taken a look!  I've now had to register so that I could answer a couple of questions  :brick:

Which ones did you answer?  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 23:26:56 PM »
I used to put a lot of time and energy into Yahoo answers because of the terrible answers some people were suggesting. But then I discovered Purrs so have not had time to go back to them since. It really was quite scarey some of the 'advice' that was offered, both in the pet section and in other parts of the forum!! Thanks Mark for saving me from that!!

:evillaugh: Out of the frying pan...............

I also "pinched" rosiesmum from "that site" we aren't allowed to mention  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 23:19:11 PM »
Grrrr - I should never have taken a look!  I've now had to register so that I could answer a couple of questions  :brick:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 22:51:38 PM »
I used to put a lot of time and energy into Yahoo answers because of the terrible answers some people were suggesting. But then I discovered Purrs so have not had time to go back to them since. It really was quite scarey some of the 'advice' that was offered, both in the pet section and in other parts of the forum!! Thanks Mark for saving me from that!!

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 22:43:05 PM »
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 22:19:50 PM »
Someone has just posted "Kittens for sale in staffordshire?
has anyone got any kittens for sale? or know of anyone that has?
preferbley a girl

i live in lichfield

thanksssssssss "

I will report it as abuse as it's not a proper question.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 22:16:28 PM »
Its bad enough that there are some folk who are just taking the p :censored:, but I worry about genuine first time pet owners who don't know enough to tell the good advice from the bad, and the poor cats who have to suffer as a result.
I maintain people should have to have an assessment to determine their ability to take on a pet, and if they fail the assessment, to be put on an animal care course, even if only for a week, before being allowed any kind of animal.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 22:11:48 PM »
Geez Mark, you are braver than me - just had a look  :shocked: you could spend a lifetime correcting all the bull :censored: people come out with! I just feel sorry for all the cats who have to live with these people - did you see the question "do cats get aggressive when drunk?" - I mean, OMG! :Crazy:

Again, some of them post stupid fake questions as they think they are smart. The trouble is, you don't know what is real and what isn't  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 22:10:35 PM »
One question tonight is "How do I keep my cat out of my room"

There are some no-nonsense sensible answers like "close the door"  :evillaugh:
One of the answers was - keep your cat crated at night. If this doesn't work, shout at it to make it feel bad"  >:( >:( >:( >:(
What kind of imbeciles think that is advice? - Often it's just people thinking they are smart and amusing. Basically it's a mess.

Yahoo are advertising it on their home page at the moment, saying "First time pet owner? - find the answers here" - that is scary  :scared:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 22:09:55 PM »
Geez Mark, you are braver than me - just had a look  :shocked: you could spend a lifetime correcting all the bull :censored: people come out with! I just feel sorry for all the cats who have to live with these people - did you see the question "do cats get aggressive when drunk?" - I mean, OMG! :Crazy:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 22:01:57 PM »
I look in once in a while for different subjects just for curiosity (or out of sheer boredom :Crazy: ) but that is definitely not the place to go to if I wanted a serious answer for my question.

But there are full of unthinking eejits in this world and a large caution in a noticeable spot would be a good idea, especially it deals with your dear pet.  The problem is, this kind of people won't even notice/look at any warnings however big it may be written... :shify:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 22:00:59 PM »
I've felt declawed cats feet and they just feel so incredibly wrong.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 21:59:33 PM »
Can we have a link Mark?

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=ask&more=y

I normally just go to pets, then cats - just to see how many stupid answers there are that need contradicting  :evillaugh:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 21:57:34 PM »
 :sick: >:( Declawing is one of the most horrific things I've ever heard of - I didn't know about it until quite recently, was reading some books on cat behaviour before getting my Riley-boy, and one of the books was written by an American lady. Thankfully, she was strongly against it, but it was only through that book that I found out about it. Was shocked that anything so cruel is still permitted as a routine procedure anywhere in the world - its barbaric! >:( :shocked:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 21:55:19 PM »
Can we have a link Mark?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 21:50:45 PM »
Nothing in particular - just looking at what questions people were asking about cats. One woman/girl in England was asking about indoor cats. An American recommended getting two, having them neutered and declawed  >:( - I pointed out that luckily it is outlawed in the UK and other civilised countries and only happens in America although Animal welfare groups are working on it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 21:51:13 PM by Mark »

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 21:42:01 PM »
Yeah - I've found yahoo to be very hit-and-miss on a lot of things. What were you looking up, just out of interest?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Yahoo answers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 21:31:21 PM »
Really annoys me. I just had another look at the cat section and read some of the silly "advice" people are giving. I have sent Yahoo a suggestion that they have a heading stating that the answers are only people's opinion and should not be used in place of proper veterinary advice or treatment.

Anyway it says "We want to hear your suggestions" - lets see if they take this one up  :tired:

Link to CatChat