Author Topic: another kitty :)  (Read 8808 times)

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
Re: another kitty :)
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2007, 19:07:23 PM »
I think it's true to say that male/male works just as well as male/female combinations. I have Dylan who is 8 and Hobbes who is now 1 who I got at 10 weeks old and they get along great. Hobbes adores Dylan and they sleep together, wash each other and play together al the time. Hobbes tries to be the boss (he is ginger after all) but although Dylan is very laid back he always lets him know who's the boss  :rofl: I love having two cats, they entertain me all the time bless them so I say go for it Lisa if that's what you want, like others I'm obviously keen on rescue moggies but it's your decision and if you want to get another Coonie then why not.  :Luv2: I'm sure whatever you decide you won't regret it, you can never have too many cats  :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2007, 17:41:07 PM »
I cant remember how old Leo is now,,,,,,,,,6 months or so?

I would suggest getting another cat about the same age not a young kitten whether it be a Maine Coon or a moggy.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2007, 17:31:42 PM »
Leo is so different to any cat I have ever owned. I love cats in general but so in love with the breed. (You gotta own one to know)

I have just looked up the rescue.. LOADS in US  :tired:

Maybe its cos your now a mad cat lady and not just a cat owner.....!
I see more in my current cats than i did when we had just the one as a pet. Im labelled mad by my family because i spend so much time doing catty things, the reward is getting that bit extra from them that you see in Leo.
I would always vote moggie purely because theres so many of them that are unwanted  :(

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2007, 15:52:54 PM »
Brilliant news Lisa, if you want another Coonie Hun you go for it.

I had always had rescue cats until we got the Bengal babies, and I love all cats, I have got 2 tabby moggies and a little persian girl (she was from a rescue in Germany) I adore them all but Bengals definatley have different personalities to "moggies" and so did our Coonie Roxy (RIP baby).

In a way pedigree cats need loving homes the same a rescue cats - sorry thats just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 15:55:36 PM by sheryl »
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2007, 14:45:11 PM »
I think a second cat is a great idea  ;D 

As to whether it should be a maine coon or a rescue kitty - well I'll be a bit controversial and say that while I think you should consider both options carefully, you should also listen to your heart.  If you really, really want another coonie you may always regret getting a rescue kitty because you felt you should when your heart was pulling you in another direction.  Breeds do have specific characteristics and you can predict what they will be like as adults much easier.   As they're large cats, I think you need to make sure any new cat is or will grow to a good size too otherwise there's potential for the newbie to be bullied, esp if the newbie is less dominant, or hurt during rough play.  You might find that when you start looking at rescues one mayl have a kitten or young cat that looks a bit like a maine coone and which has the purrsonality you're after, of course.  And whatever you get, you will love him/her to bits. 

I'd also keep in touch with the maine coon rescue people in case a rescue that would suit comes up.  Mainstream rescues also may get a maine coon or maine coon cross in so it would be worth speaking to a few local rescues to let them know that you'd be interested if they did get one.

If Leo is a dominant cat then I agree that you are best off getting a slightly less dominant cat but you need to be careful you don't get one that's too timid and easily bullied.  I ended up with 2 dominant cats and we have fireworks at times, but mostly it works because Jaffa is bigger than Mosi so has managed to hold on to his place as the boss.

Age wise - I don't think it necessarily has to be a kitten - a young cat would do as well, imo.  And if the cat is a little bit older, he/she will have the purrsonality a bit more developed and it may be easier to predict how he will get on with Leo.  If you go down the rescue route, I think an older kitten or young cat would be better than a young kitten as you will then have a better idea of the cat's adult purrsonality.

I've only had male cats.  I don't think you will have any more/fewer problems with introductions than with a female so I'd just go for which ever you prefer. 

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2007, 14:42:28 PM »
Ahh ok.. yeah you have a very good point !  Rome wasnt built in a day ! ha ha

Merry Christmas everyone off to see the feline beauty in my life ! xxxx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2007, 14:14:03 PM »
All of the female cats I have ever met have had a very tempremental side & as someone has said off standish & in many cases ignorant ! ha ha

I've had temperamental females and loving and affectionate, soppy females, the same can be said for the males I've had - its not down to gender, as you said, its individual temperament.

Lisa, I wouldnt take Leo to meet your mum's cat - after all Leo's not going to be living with Marly is he? and it is very likely the reaction of both cats will be hostile to start with - that would be the same with ANY cat meeting a new one for the first time - so its not really a good way to guage things, because after gradual introductions - they could become the best of friends, but that can take weeks or even months, and is unlikely in just a few hours on boxing day (possible, but rare I would say!).

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2007, 14:02:36 PM »
The one time I did walk away in tears was when an elderly cat had his ears burnt off :(   I was absolutley gutted & the image of him will stay with me forever.. it was so so so sad  :'( :'( :'( :'(

ccmacey

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2007, 14:00:38 PM »
I went to a rescue last week and seen the most gorgeous cat, she was letting me stroke her and kept crying when I walked away, it made me sad but happy to know they were being cared for not just out on the streets. That was my first time ever going to a rescue and I thought I would leave being in tears  but I didnt.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2007, 13:45:02 PM »
The majority of the females I have owned have been like that, but I have only owned one male, and he only wanted affection on your terms, yet foster wise, I have had a mix, so it really depends on the cat and their history. I would advise a cat younger than Leo though.
Please spay your cat

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2007, 13:37:33 PM »
I will go to RSPCA after Xmas.. I go every few weeks anyway.. I always walk away sadder than I went there..  :-[   

All of the female cats I have ever met have had a very tempremental side & as someone has said off standish & in many cases ignorant ! ha ha

As ive only ever had males thats all I have known..  but of course as mentioned it depends on the individual cat.

Thanks everyone for advice here... xx

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2007, 13:26:23 PM »
also keep in mind that if going via the rescue route they sometimes advise a cat younger than the one/s you have, which isn't so good if you fall in love with a gorgeous oldie :(

again - from personal experience, i don't know if this is the case in all rescues.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 13:23:43 PM »
lisa -

i think another cat would be great for leo, would be better if it was younger or same age as leo though.

i know how you feel about maine coons - charlie is part coony and he is different to any other cat i have met :Luv: such a distinct, loving personality, strong, funny, clever. he also has a pip at the end of his tail ;D

i would love to own a pedigree cat and have considered ragdoll or maine coon, i will eventually own one, probably years down the line as it just so happens that babes seem to come to me rather than me finding them :)

if you have your heart set on a maine coon then go for it, they are a wonerful breed :hug:

i tend to prefer males as well, mines have mostly had more loving personalities and get on better i find. thats only from personal experience though.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 13:23:30 PM »
I would also suggest, for "just because", have a visit to a rescue one day and have a look around, no obligations with a clean slate on your mind... you may meet that special one.  It may sound daft but I believe that very often a cat adopts you, instead of the other way around.  When a cat chooses you, he/she will let you know in one way or another.  That happened to the both cats I had.  You will never know! ;)

I can relate with your preference to male cats.  From my own experience male cats were always much sweeter and affectionate, most of the female cats I knew were sort of stand-offish, tense and some of them even aggressive.  But from this board I learned it is not always the case and I have "virtually met" many female cats who are very loving.  So now I believe it is up to individual personality.  And perhaps a female companion may do Leo a lot of good! :)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 13:24:14 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 13:15:30 PM »
Thanks ccmacey xx

No, Leo hasnt..only a dog to which at 1st  he wasnt immpressed .. although now they tolerate eachother without fuss!

I may take Leo to my mums on boxing day to see how he is with Marly the cat.. he is another male tho.. could be interesting !

:thanks:

ccmacey

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 13:11:32 PM »
Or a 5th cat in my case lol.

What I find with all of mine is that they all have a different personality but they all join together to make one big one, they are all different in every way and they all get along fine but sometimes they do have their moments.

At the end of the day its your choice Lisa and no one can tell you not to, we dont live in your home so its only going to affect you and little L, I think you should get a female though.

Has Leo ever been with another cat since coming to yours?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 13:03:36 PM »
fair enough, just thought the question should be asked - as you say, we all love cats so caution is always wise... ;D

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2007, 13:03:14 PM »
In addition to this.. I was planning on getting a 2nd when i am in new employment !

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2007, 13:00:16 PM »
I have to confess I am a little curious as to why you would want another cat at all, given that Leo has such a strong personality. Why potentially create a problem where none exists. Do you want another cat 'just because', or do you have a reason for this sudden desire? If you have recently been made redundant, how will you pay for the care of the additional cat if you don't find work in the short term? Maybe you need to wait until after the break and give yourself time to think whether this is a good decision for you.

Why does anyone get a 2nd cat ? 3rd or even 4th? Generally as they love cats !   :Luv:

I would never rush into getting another cat & have always thought very hard before committing myself. I am not the type of person to get a pet on a whim & then change my mind ! (I am sure everyone here knows how much I love my animals) So this isnt a sudden desire.. I was originally going to get 2. I think Leo could do with a friend while im at work...

ccmacey

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 13:00:00 PM »
I think you may need a female as you say Leo has a strong personality another male may not stand up to him and then the bullying starts, it may not though I just think females keep the boys in check.

I think you should check out the rescues and see who's there, you never know it could be love at first sight.

At the end of the day a cat is a cat and I dont think they hold any higher purpose being a breed.

But its your choice  :)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 12:52:38 PM »
I can understand what you say about the breed, they are gorgeous and I love my Billy to bits but if you get a rescue moggy, you would also be saving a life.  Billy is really chilled out and gets on with all my cats so there's no reason why Leo wouldn't, I'd go for a moggy, I'm sure there's one out there that you will fall in love with.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2007, 12:46:29 PM »
I have to confess I am a little curious as to why you would want another cat at all, given that Leo has such a strong personality. Why potentially create a problem where none exists. Do you want another cat 'just because', or do you have a reason for this sudden desire? If you have recently been made redundant, how will you pay for the care of the additional cat if you don't find work in the short term? Maybe you need to wait until after the break and give yourself time to think whether this is a good decision for you.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007, 12:44:07 PM »
well prehaps a female then if you think it would work out better with Leo.. they could be love birds ! (well love cats!!  :evillaugh:)

Do you think im better off with a female then..

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 12:33:06 PM »
once neutered, there isn't really much difference Lisa - I prefer to have one of each. Out of the 3 here at the moment, the male is the more affectionate, and the only one who will sit on your knee, although the girls do like to sleep under the duvet.
Please spay your cat

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
Well ive just always had male pets ! never had a female so I dont know how they differ.

That would be my worst nightmare if they didnt get on. I dont know aht I would do - its a big risk. With them both being indoor too it could get tricky.. when I actually think of them not getting on it puts me off getting one.. I just dont know if I could rehome the new one.. infact I know I couldnt. My view is a pet is for life.. oh I dont know there is allot to think of..  :Crazy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »

BUT I would want another male. Now Leo has a very strong personality indeed.

Just interested to know why it has to be a male?  Personallyy I wouldnt go with another male, as you say Leo has a strong personality, a male/female friendship might be better, particularly when they get older. It doesnt necessarily make any difference if 2 males are bought up together as kittens - its no guarantee they will get on as adults. My Harry and George (both 11 now) were bought up together from 6 weeks old (not related) - Harry is dominant, George isnt and they came to hate each other! Thats not always the case of course, you may be lucky - my Sam, Ben, and Joe (all male persians) have been together as kittens and all still get on - but persians have very placid personalities. All my females get on together and with the males.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Leo is so different to any cat I have ever owned. I love cats in general but so in love with the breed. (You gotta own one to know)

I have just looked up the rescue.. LOADS in US  :tired:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »
Ok question for ya.

We all know how much you love Leo etc but do you want another cat because you want a CAT or a maine coon because its a maine coon and you could show them off etc?

Personally I'd be happy with a cat wheather it be a pedigree or a moggy but I understand not everyones the same :)
Love me,love my animals.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »
I have to say that is what I would expect from a breed rescue. Good luck when you try them though.
Please spay your cat

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 11:46:51 AM »
I spoke to them before I got Leo.. She said kittens are rare.. she has a 9 month old at the time but thats the youngest in years. I will call again tho - you never know.. I ve just seen a little coony on classifieds from the Breeder I got Leo from.. I think she only advertises the ones that cant be shown.. eg kinky tails etc

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 11:40:42 AM »
Dolcetta - cats like that are generally sold as pet quality, a good breeder wouldnt put them in a rescue as a kitten. If you speak to a Coon rescue Lisa, it would be interesting to see the ages they generally get.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
I found this on catchat

MAINE COON CAT CLUB - Rescue & Rehoming
Tel: 0161 3741399

You can still get a Maine Coon and still rescue a homeless kitty rather than buy from a breeder who will only breed more  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
Thats a great point. Leo hasd a crooked tail & a huge mole on his face !!! adds to his personality !!!!!

Great suggestion thanks xx

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 11:28:43 AM »
Another note though, if you really want Maine Coon and would like to do some good deed, I am sure, if you do some research (probably many people on this board can help you with that) there must be many Maine Coone kittens (as that happens with every other breeds) who failed the pedigree classification just because of slight physical irregularity (for example if the kitty was born with a crooked tail like Oliver did, I don't think he will be a "show quality" so to speak).  There must be a rescue orgainisation for these type of kittens.  Can you consider this possibility?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 11:25:39 AM »
I think its going to have to be a Coony.. will you guys still spk to me?  :-[

Of course we will!  But... as much as I adore Leo (and Maine coons in general - oh, and Bengals of course!) I honestly think that the reason you are so in love with him has nothing to do with what type of breed he belongs to.  He would love a furry friend no matter what breed they were and I know that you would too.

If Maine Coons are generally quite a dominant personality and you are looking for a lesser dominant personality so Leo doesn't feel ousted out in his own home, then a moggie may well be the way to go  :naughty:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 11:23:34 AM »
Well Lisa, I am with the majority here personally, just looking at Oliver (though of course I am biased) he is so full of character, the most special darling of a cat I can ever imagine.  I would never trade him for any prize winning pedigree.  However everyone is entitled for thier own choices for their own need, preference etc.  It seems like your heart is set for another Maine Coon.  Doesn't that tell you the decision is pretty much made already?

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
Well Desley 3/4 of it is paying off my loan.. I gotta get something for Me (& Leo) as ive put up with this place for so bl00dy long ! (TOO long)

I think its going to have to be a Coony.. will you guys still spk to me?  :-[

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »
This might sound odd, but I just think there are better ways of spending your redundancy money, and so many people get a cat cos they want to, not cos their existing cat does - the majority of mine would have been happy being only cats, but I wont stop fostering to let them!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 11:08:27 AM »
Now look you, no more Main Coons!

You’ve got to save some for the rest of us.

Leo will probably have no problems getting on with another cat but you have to think about the whole introduction phase (room, one extra of everything etc).

Smoke we had to put into a separate room for about a week (mind you she was about 18 months old so not really a kitten) before she was comfy enough to face the monster (aka Lirael).

Penguin on the other hand got shipped over and as soon as we opened the gigantic crate he walked out of it like he owned the place and just couldn’t quite figure out why the other two cats were hissing at him when all he wanted to do was sleep.

I don’t regret getting Smoke to be Lirael’s main playmate as it worked out very well that Smoke has a lot of energy (not as much as Lirael…) and Penguin has been seen chasing them both ;)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 11:08:16 AM »
I know I know..... God i will never live with myself if I get another Coonie will I with you lot !!

Of course you will,we just like people to window shop first :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat