Author Topic: A lovely day out -The National Cat Club Show  (Read 7696 times)

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
Re: A lovely day out -The National Cat Club Show
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2007, 11:06:26 AM »
I swear that I've seen Frankie drumming his paws whilst waiting for me to open the food pouches  ;D ;D

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 22:18:34 PM »
I ;ove that Leigh and reckon all mine do that  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 21:52:50 PM »
Thanks Leigh, that's lovely!  ;)

Dawn, my two are currently curled up on their respective pawprint blankets - and Pearl has one in her carrier as well. I know I should have got more of them in the first place...  :shocked:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »
Hey Witty,

I found this animated gif that looks a little like the lovely Pearl and thought you might like it.

You need to click the pic to see it.

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:25:08 PM by LeighK »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 09:12:47 AM »
it is lovely Star has claimed it, I couldn't decided between black or beige and should have just got both!

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 22:17:44 PM »
not the paw print blankets from the ely stall?  I wish I'd got a couple more the price was excellent, when I got mine I was served by a very nice lady called Teresa just is case anyone knows her!

Yup, the paw print blankets from the Ely CP stall!  ;D You know things have got to be good if they pass the Pearl and Toby test...  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 08:50:55 AM »
not the paw print blankets from the ely stall?  I wish I'd got a couple more the price was excellent, when I got mine I was served by a very nice lady called Teresa just is case anyone knows her!

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 22:14:10 PM »
I forgot to say Witty I managed to bag one of the lovely fleecy blankets from the CP stall, there were only about 3 or 4 left by the time I went. They are fab, it will be yet another Christmas pressie for the boys so thanks for the tip.  ;D

Glad you managed to snag one of the blankies Ann!  ;D They're lovely, aren't they? Pearl and Toby did the trials on them and judged them suitable for selling on the stall - and between the Supreme and the National, we've sold nearly 60 of them.  :)

Oh, and the Ely CP stall was runner up in the best CP stall competition, just like at the Supreme!  ;D Had to be the blankies that did it......  :evillaugh:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 21:24:22 PM »
ummmmmm, just how big is this car??? and how many trips were you planning??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mmm, maybe a mistake to leave that open ended  :rofl: :rofl:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 19:17:18 PM »
ummmmmm, just how big is this car??? and how many trips were you planning??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 19:14:28 PM »
Bracknell is just down the road from me, so anyone stuck getting there by car can always come by train to Woking and I can drive  ;D

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 18:18:53 PM »
I forgot to say Witty I managed to bag one of the lovely fleecy blankets from the CP stall, there were only about 3 or 4 left by the time I went. They are fab, it will be yet another Christmas pressie for the boys so thanks for the tip.  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 08:54:29 AM »
it was lovely to meet Leigh and Witty and of cours the lovely Pearl, I didn't know her backgroud before and I have to say she was a picture of serenity!  I thought she had won something as well!  There was less going on than normal, last year there were stands upstairs as well and actually if it is moving to Bracknell leisure centre that might not be a bad thing, I've been to a few Tica shows there and it is a very good venue with loads of parking and much cheaper food options - anyway great to see you all!

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 23:28:33 PM »
I did get to see the lovely Pearl although I missed you Witty so didn't get a chance to greet her properly (did take her photo though). She was gorgeous and a credit to you Witty.

I'm glad you got to see Pearl in the fur at least Ann - and  :thanks: for the kind comments. She really is my little star.  :Luv2:

I just feel like :box: the judges. As I can't, I'll just say :P to them instead and :nerner: as they can whistle for my entry because I'll be :car: elsewhere with my cat next year.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 18:55:09 PM »
Well I had a lovely day but managed to totally miss all the Purrs peeps. I did get to see the lovely Pearl although I missed you Witty so didn't get a chance to greet her properly (did take her photo though). She was gorgeous and a credit to you Witty. A few of the people I talked to said it was a lot smaller than normal and a lady I spoke to on the train going home said that normally the gallery is full of stalls aswell but not yesterday. Still had a fab day though and spoke to some lovely people who are as besotted with cats as me  ;D Spent far too much money including buying the boys a fab cat tree for their Christmas pressie, thankfully they are delivering it - didn't fancy trying to get it back on the train  :rofl: Good to see those catnip cushions are popular, bought two for the boys (can you tell I felt guilty about leaving them ovenight  :rofl:) I even got offered a cream British Shorthaired kitten from the lady on the train who breeds them when I told her I was Cats Protection and said I loved British Shorthairs. He has a shorter tail than he should normally have so she is looking for a good home for him. Soooo tempted but not supposed to have more than two cats here, if only my house move had come off it wouldn't have been a problem.  >:(

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 16:25:56 PM »
Ah right.  So it's the judges who have messed up by not disqualifying cats entered in the wrong classes.  :censored:'s!

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 15:44:20 PM »
I don't think the Supreme has classes for half peds - at least the show catalogue just list pedigrees and non pedigrees. 

Pearl is still a star, Reynard, even if she didn't get any firsts.

Yes they do, Susanne - the HP section of the show has a half ped / ped lookalike section in the show, but they don't compete for Supreme Longhair and Supreme Shorthair HP. Incidentally, one of the cats in Pearl's open was competing in the moggy classes at the Supreme as well.

Pearl is ALWAYS a star in my eyes, Susanne!  :Luv2: Especially as she is so good at doing the PR bit of meeting the public at shows and flying the flag for rescue cats.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 15:51:25 PM by Reynard »

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 15:34:32 PM »
As Lottie says, the Household Pet section in GCCF shows are for unregistered cats. The colour-based open classes are for moggies, but there are also open classes for half pedigree cats / kittens and for unregistered (rescued) pedigree cats / kittens.

Unfortunately, there are some HP exhibitors who seem to be quite happy to put their cats in the wrong open classes. It is the owner's responsability to put their cat in the correct open class, but the judges are also meant to disqualify a cat that is obviously in the wrong class.

One of the cats in Pearl's open was a cinammon silver tortie tabby and white and the other is a known oriental cross silver spotted tortie tabby and white. The two moggies in the class were blue.

The miscellaneous / side classes are for everyone, so that's not an issue - there the cats are judged against each other and on their own merits.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 15:32:48 PM »
Yes GCCF has special classes for half ped cats

Ah right.  Ta for that.  I've never seen any at shows I've been to, but maybe those particular shows just didn't have them (or any entrants) or I just didn't notice.  I don't think the Supreme has classes for half peds - at least the show catalogue just list pedigrees and non pedigrees.  But then again the Supreme isn't your normal GCCF cat show.

Pearl is still a star, Reynard, even if she didn't get any firsts.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 15:24:10 PM »
Gilly, Pearl didn't win anything.   :sad no:

>Witty....Pearl is on the Blue team and wins nearly every week  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 15:17:52 PM »
Yes GCCF has special classes for half ped cats which I think is a really good idea as then peds are judged against peds, half peds against other half peds and moggies against other moggies. I guess then the only prob is how do you prove that you don't know who your cats parents are to show them in the HP section?

FIFe and TICA just have a Pedigree section and a HP section so any non registered cat be it a moggy or a half ped is shown as a HP.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 15:12:06 PM »
That's really not on when the GCCF specifically offer classes for half peds and putting full pedigree cats in the HP class is just despicable 

Do they?  I'll admit I don't know the rules regarding showing in the HP section, but I wasn't aware that there were any classes for half peds or non registered peds.  I thought the HP section was for any cat not eligible to enter the pedigree section?  which could include 'pedigrees' and cross breeds so long as they aren't registered as pedigrees?  Do you mean that people were entering fully registered pedigree cats in the hhold pet section?  I agree that that's not really in keeping with the spirit of the rules, although I believe it is allowed in the US.  And it really shouldn't make any difference as the cats are judged on different criteria in the hhold pet section so I don't see how peds have any advantage, tbh.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 13:47:22 PM »
Unfortunately, it seems that us moggy exhibitors in the household pet classes are being taken for a ride by those exhibitors who come to the National and knowingly put pedigree and half-pedigree cats in the moggy open classes (kitten and adult) when they actually have their own dedicated open classes in which to enter their cats. It's just not sporting and somewhat frustrating.  :no no:  :mad2:

That's really not on when the GCCF specifically offer classes for half peds and putting full pedigree cats in the HP class is just despicable  :mad2: Is there any way you can make a complaint? At least when people put half peds in at TICA and FIFe shows it's because if the cat is not a full pedigree it's a HP as they don't have half ped classes.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 13:16:59 PM »
Gilly, Pearl didn't win anything.   :sad no:

Unfortunately, it seems that us moggy exhibitors in the household pet classes are being taken for a ride by those exhibitors who come to the National and knowingly put pedigree and half-pedigree cats in the moggy open classes (kitten and adult) when they actually have their own dedicated open classes in which to enter their cats. It's just not sporting and somewhat frustrating.  :no no:  :mad2:

Pearl was in an open class of four, in which two of the cats in the class were known half-peds. She came fourth from four, behind the two half-peds. Now I know she wouldn't have beaten the cat that won the class as Teddy Boy is an absolutely superb furbabe and there's absolutely no disgrace whatsoever being placed behind him, but I do feel somewhat shortchanged to have had my cat beaten by two cats who should not have been entered in that class in the first place. Yes, it was a tough class regardless - but if all the cats in it had been eligible, then that's just showing for you.  :Dont know:

I'm not a bad loser, just questioning as to whether some HP exhibitors are actually following the spirit of the rules. Actually, quite a few of us moggy exhibitors were spitting tacks over this as it's left us feeling rather hard done by and I certainly won't be entering Pearl in the National again - I'd rather go somewhere where us HP exhibitors are made to feel welcome. :sigh:

Madam did manage two seconds in her side classes - one a brilliant placing in her Crystal Clear heat behind Billy Bean but ahead of some other superb cats. That one result made up for the disappointment of the others. The other second was a second in a class of two, while in her third side class she was unplaced.

It is so disheartening to so look forward to going to a show and then not really enjoying it. Quite frankly, after stumping up for the entry and the travel, I'm feelling really down in the dumps about the whole thing.  :sad no: Also, compared to last year the show was half the size and the atmosphere was a bit flat.

Other than that, I had fun showing off my special girl - she did a lot of meeting and greeting and was really popular with the members of the public. It was by far the most enjoyable aspect of the whole day and it made a couple of little girls soooo happy to be allowed to stroke her - and a few not-so-little girls too...   And loads of folks came to take her photo too.  :smile:

It was lovely to finally meet Leigh, Clare and Dawn! I'm so chuffed that they spent some time cuddling my beautiful little girl and I really have to say thank you so much for the kind comments.  :thanks:

Have attached a couple of photos.  :Luv2:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 12:30:17 PM »
Xanthe means yellow or fair haired, so probably not a good name for a black cat!! :naughty:

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »
Great debriefing Leigh...I can't believe that the National Cat Show is losing so much money.  That's very sad.  It has been a tradition for years at Olympia.  The only change I remember in recent history is when they changed it to a Sunday (1998 if my memory serves me well) because Rod Stewart was appearing and the halls weren't available for the usual Saturday.  So sad.  Bracknell is miles away for most folks....It will lose even more money.  The last time I went to Bracknell I was stuck on the M25 for hours!

Lucy: Lovely story......and point taken about Nefertiti ha ha . 

I think I might just go back on the kitten naming thread now and sponsor the name Xanthe  :)  I first saw it years and years ago in an old Dennis Wheatley novel...the book was unmemorable but the name stuck. :)

Lots of love

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 08:43:50 AM »
Lucy: Apart from Gigi, I always wanted to call one of my cats Xanthe but have never had one exotic enough to suit the name.  How come you came across the name? 

There was a Xanthe at my primary school - some of the kids there were pretty exotic!  :rofl:  Daughter likes fancy names, and Xanthe is maine coon so fairly regal looking when she's not rolling around flashing her belly or falling off the furniture ;). We narrowed name choices down to Cleopatra, Nefertiti, Agatha or Xanthe - thankfully daughter went with Xanthe (liked other names but a bit long - Cleo for short is fine, also liked Agatha in a retro kind of way, but what do you shorten Nefertiti to?)

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 07:50:30 AM »
I had a great time and I'll try and get there again next year but learned that they're moving to Bracknell but if I plan ahead then that should be okay. I bought a few nice toys and other bits for the puds and even a couple of bits for me before the money ran out :). The puids have a new 45 degrees cardboard scartching pad in their Christmas stockings a pack of the small mousies that they like, 3 catnip pyramids which Suzie is going mad for on the bed. I bought a nice cat calender for mum for christmas and a nice cat ornament both from the CP stall and a "The Mogfather" T.Shirt for myself as I've seen them on the web and it's quite appropriate in my case, from memory I think that Pearl won 2nd, 3rd and 4th  so I'll leave Witty to fill everyone in on which was for what. Great meeting Dawn and her family. I was a little sad to hear that the organisers are looking to make a 10-15 grand loss from the show and that is why they are most probably moving away from Olympia next year. I thought it was lovely to see so many beautiful cats, I could take them all home but what I enjoy the most is talking to "cat" people, there's a bond there and it's heartwarming and re-assuring in what can often seem a cold-hearted world to meet others who so obviously love their cats every bit as much as we all love ours. I got chatting to a woman form Romford on the tube from Earl's Court to Olympia and a family on the same journey back as well as several other folks whilst queueing to pay for bits and bobs and there was a lovely lady who I waschatting to whilst having a coffee who kindly let me lookup Pearl in the catalogue whilst telling me the stories of her rescue cats, I came away from our chat feeling warm inside from the conversation, sadly the same cannot be said about the coffee :).

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:59:29 AM by LeighK »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 05:50:36 AM »
I defo want to go again next year, but save up some more money first .......... so many nice things on offer  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 01:35:47 AM »
What did Pearl win,. I can see all th roseetes but not whats on them?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 00:25:12 AM »
Glad you all had a fab time  ;D  I wish I could make it to the National but it's too near the Supreme time wise for me.  I have no money left!  And I don't fancy driving to London which leave the train and that's rather an expensive option.  One year I will plan ahead and make it!

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 23:57:29 PM »
Ohhhhhhh I so miss not being at the National Cat Show...we always used to take a stand there and at the Supreme too but during the last three years I have either been too busy or have had ill pets which I couldn't leave in a cattery/kennel for a couple of nights, so I haven't been but I do miss getting my 'fix' of all the gorgeous cats there.  And the National is always so much more festive than the Supreme.

I have to say that young Pearl is doing supremely well.  I can remember when Witty was only just starting out with her...and now look!!!  Top Cat Show!  Well done Pearl and Witty!  Absolutely stunning result. :clap:

I hope Marla was busy and took loads of orders at the show.  I have spoken to her a couple of times over the telephone and you are right...she is a lovely lady....and is another of our friends originally from the USA.   

Lucy: Apart from Gigi, I always wanted to call one of my cats Xanthe but have never had one exotic enough to suit the name.  How come you came across the name?

Lots of love

Roz

You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 22:21:49 PM »
I was there too with daughter but failed to spot any Purrs badges! It was lovely , such scrummy cats!

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 20:30:50 PM »
Oh yes I think you can safely say that the catnip cushions a big hit with Afie  ;D

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:33:58 PM by LeighK »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 20:21:45 PM »
Indeed a great day out, I had a lovely time, it was fab meeting you Leigh, and of course Witty and our favourite girl Pearl  :Luv: 

I have to say that Pearl is gorgeous in her photos, but is even more beautiful in the flesh, and I am privaledged to have been allowed a little chin tickle with Madam  :Luv: :Luv:  Well done for winning more today  ;D

Shame I didn't get to see Dawn, but there was so much to see and do it was hard to fit it all in.

I've seen loads of different breeds today, I can't even pinpoint a favourite as they're all georgeous, although I have to say I did have a soft spot for the Siamese and Benglies of course, although they were all fabulous.

This was my first show, and what was the nicest part was the amount of slaves who took the time to talk to you, talk about the breed, about their own cats, and often let you have a little stroke as well if you were lucky.  You could see they were genuinely loving all the attention (cats and owners alike), and it was lovely to see.

And Alfie, I'm so pleased you like your catnip cushion  ;D

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
A lovely day out -The National Cat Club Show
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 20:13:07 PM »
Hi folks,

What a lovely day out I've had today visiting the National Cat Club show at Olympia. It was great to meet up with fellow Purrs regulars, Clare and her friend, Witty and the georgous Pearl and Dawn and her husband and god daughter.

I love to meet "cat people" there's something aboput fellow cat lovers that I really enjoy, swapping stories and even complete strangers feel like you've know each other for ages after a few words. I suppose it's because we all love to talk about our number one interest and share experiences.

A few pictures, I apologise for the poor quality of the first two of the lovely Pear and Witty her very proud owner, congratulations Pearl what a great collection of rosettes but these were taken on my phone so the qualities a bit naff and doesn't do them justice.

A couple of Suzie enjoying her new catnip cube and Alfie going nuts over his new catnip cushion, an instant success that Clare kindly bought him, after he'd finished playing with it, Frankie licked it into submission :)

I really enjoyed meeting you all, a great day out.

Cheers

Leigh

Link to CatChat