Author Topic: Do microchips stop working?  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
Re: Do microchips stop working?
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 06:20:43 AM »
Ooooh I'm so glad I read this. I'll make sure to get my vet to check mitzys chip every time we go in.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 22:54:25 PM »
Bought the scanner home again and his new chip is exactly where it should be, the old one is definitely still under his armpit on his tummy so it hasn't moved again - the scanner I have obviously doesn't have as big a range as the humungous satellite dish one they had as she picked it up when she scanned the lower part of his side (not going underneath as I had to with my scanner).

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 13:59:52 PM »
I've only just seen this Helen, what a performance!  my vet checks the chip every visit and I'd always assumed it was to see the cat wasn't stolen but now it all makes sense!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 13:56:05 PM »
Well done Riley  :Luv: :Luv:

Think he deserves some extra treats today  ;)

Really impressed with the customer service you've received from these guys, its a shame more companies aren't like that!

He was so brave at the vets, he didn't want to go in his basket but once he was in he was fine.  He was stood up in the basket looking out the window on the way there, he was very good at the vets and let the nurse have a stroke and a cuddle  :)   He's had extra tempations and will be sharing a tin of shredded chicken and ham gourmet food as a treat.

Bayer (who manufacturer the tracer chips) have been excellent, above and beyond my expectations as there's no suggestion there's a fault with the chip.  Very impressed with them.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 13:24:20 PM »
Well done Riley  :Luv: :Luv:

Think he deserves some extra treats today  ;)

Really impressed with the customer service you've received from these guys, its a shame more companies aren't like that!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 12:50:24 PM »
Well, Riley the brave is now the proud owner of two microchips! Embarrassingly they had a scanner the size of a satellite dish and it picked the chip up much easier than the one I used.  I'm still glad he has two though, rather than one misplaced one, as not all rescues might have the satellite dish scanners and I know from the one I used that it was very difficult to find his chip using the smaller, less powerful ones.

The chip was free, as was the implanting and Bayer have even said in the letter that they sent to the vets if the migrated chip causes him any discomfort they will cover the cost of the operation to remove it which I think is very good seeing as it's just one of those things - there is nothing wrong with the chip or the way it was put in, it just happens occasionally.

He didn't even whimper when it was put in, I was holding him but looking away as I'm a wuss  :evillaugh:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 18:10:39 PM »
Just caught up with this thread and glad I did.  Korky will be coming home soon and I would just die if I got to passport control and they couldn't find his chip.  Mind you it was there last year and he's not a very active cat these days so probably no need to worry.  At least I know to 'shop around' if it does happen.  Your vet's attitude was scandalous.  As you say, I can't see many people scanning a cat's tummy even if it would co-operate.  Glad you've got it sorted and hope Riley behaves himself at the vets and enjoys his special tea.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »
The vets rang today, his chip has arrived so he's booked in tomorrow to have it done.  Think I'll get them both a special tea as a reward for Riley being so brave.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »
Only one of mine has ever shown a reaction to being chipped and that was PEbbles, who bit the vet for stroking her when she was in to have her leg amputated, so i would have been surprised if she hadn't.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 18:05:21 PM »
I then said well what if I don't tell you he's chipped and just re-chip him but she said they would scan him first.

If they could find it lol

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 18:04:58 PM »
I'm now worrying that the new chip will hurt him, he had it done under GA the first time, poor baby 

We, that is the Royal we, as I mean Stuart chipped a cat named Boddington this morning, I don't think he has any idea he has been chipped and he did not move a muscle and just lay there purring.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 16:24:09 PM »
on your behalf i woulf like to give the woman at the vet a bog huge  :slap:  what a pillock.  reckon you should take him in, say can you please get him chipped, then see if when they scan him they find the chip.
oooh, she's really annoyed me!!

glad the other woman was much better - just hope your vets will do as they're told!!!!

on the other hand... talking of kitty napping....  i dont think either of them should be done.  and they should be let out all the time.  say around 7.30 tonight would be a good start?  see you later boys, aunty hannah's coming to get you!   :sneaky:   :evillaugh:   :innocent:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 15:46:28 PM »
Rang the vets first thing this morning, I said the chip had migrated to an unusual place before I could say about re-chipping she went to check with a vet.  She came back saying 'It's fine, won't cause any problems' I said I knew it wasn't harmful but that I wasn't happy that the chip would be picked up by a scanner if he ever got lost due to it's unusual and fairly inaccesible location (if he's lost and frightened he'd probably crouch down and they wouldn't be able to scan his tummy area). She kept saying 'Oh no, we scan all over the cat and so do the RSPCA CP etc' and didn't seem to understand my concerns.  I said I just wanted to chip him again but she said it couldn't be done as they don't like to have more than one chip and just kept saying that it was OK.  I then said well what if I don't tell you he's chipped and just re-chip him but she said they would scan him first. I wasn't accepting that so she said I should speak to a vet but that I would have to ring late in the afternoon.

Rang Bayer, who manufacture the Tracer microchips, and she couldn't have been more helpful.  She said it was unusual to migrate but that there was no problem with him having a second chip, without any prompting she said she would send a replacement chip to my vets and that if the vet charged me to have it inserted they would cover the cost.  She then rang the vets herself to say that there were no technical issues with having two working chips and that she would be sending them out the chip for him.

She said the only issue would be that if he ever got his pet passport (very unlikely unless I emigrate) then the chip details given would have to be the 2nd chip in the correct location.

They are indoor boys though so hopefully you'd not need them scanned. I don't understand why they had GA for chip insertion (removal would take GA I think) - my 2 were just injected with them and didn't blink.  How lovely that you found the owner of a puddytat yesterday. Must have made you feel so good.

That's what is so worrying, if they were free roaming then there is less chance of them being lost as they 'know' their area.  Being indoor/catproofed garden if they ever got out they would be well and truly lost.  The GA wasn't for the chip insertion, they were being neutered so had the chip done whilst under.  Yes, reuniting the cat definitely made my day - can't go into too much detaill but it was from out of the area and would definitely not have been reunited if it were not for the chip and to be honest if the chip was under it's tummy I wouldn't have found it as it was crouched down frightened in a cardboard box!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »
I'm now worrying that the new chip will hurt him, he had it done under GA the first time, poor baby  :(

Helen, most of mine weren't done under GA and i promise you they didnt even flinch
He will be fine  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
I'll get the vets to check Max's on Friday when we do his bloods, didn't know they could end up somewhere else completely!  Thats a bit of a worry  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 09:39:55 AM »
Swampy's has migrated twice since it was fitted (so much for "genuine non migrating technology").  The second time the french vet got through 3 "c'est pas vrai"s ! (it's not true!) before he located it. I nearly had a heart attack as it was a full on passport travel-to-the-Uk situation.  Have your boys got a passport? If so, I would ring DEFRA and tell them one has failed or become unreadable so you are going to fit another - then all the paperwork has to be redone, but I'm pretty sure they allow it. (They do not allow 2 active chips on the same animal I don't think).  I know the orgs like Petlog don't like animals with 2 chips either, but if you register both nos (can their systems accept more than one?) to yourself, should be ok hopefully. The chips are so small and just subcutaneous so it's not surprising that some of them migrate imho. But under the tum sounds tricky. They are indoor boys though so hopefully you'd not need them scanned. I don't understand why they had GA for chip insertion (removal would take GA I think) - my 2 were just injected with them and didn't blink.
How lovely that you found the owner of a puddytat yesterday. Must have made you feel so good.

PS I think they migrate quite often, but I've not heard of them actually failing too often thank goodness.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:42:20 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 05:26:28 AM »
I've recently had Fred and Vic chipped. Will have them scanned every time they have to go to vet. Thanks for the info that it can migrate, didn't know this.

Has anyone had problems getting registration info from Petlog? I've been bugging them with emails because Vic's chip details haven't arrived through the post.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 20:49:45 PM »
Hope so, I'm going to ring the vets tomorrow.  Really got me worried now.

Hmmmm I am worried too

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 19:35:12 PM »
Apparently, they don't hurt although I am surprised how big they are. There is a test chip encapsulated in a plastic keyring with the scanner.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 19:10:37 PM »
I agree most people wouldn't scan underneath. They even have a diagram on the scanner I have here to show you how to scan. One is side to side along the back and the other up & down the length of the back.

I've always done the nape of the neck, halfway down the back, shoulders and finally top of head.  This is literally on the underneath of his tummy behind his front leg.  I'm now worrying that the new chip will hurt him, he had it done under GA the first time, poor baby  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 19:07:08 PM »
I agree most people wouldn't scan underneath. They even have a diagram on the scanner I have here to show you how to scan. One is side to side along the back and the other up & down the length of the back.

I never thought of checking my lot - I will do it tomorrow.

I have to scan a stray in Herne Bay tomorrow and there is a possibility it is the one that escaped from the basket about 6 month ago  ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 19:08:13 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 19:04:16 PM »
They can fall out but it can only happen up to a few days after the implant ... it happened to Molly when she was a puppy - I only found out a year later that she was chipless  :tired:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 19:03:48 PM »
I would get another put in and get it checked on each visit to the vet. As long as both are linked to you it wont matter which one gets scanned! I would doubt it being found by other people, not every one scans throughly  :(
Strange its migrated that far, had a few drop down the shoulder and then stop but not to the tummy

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 19:02:23 PM »
Hope so, I'm going to ring the vets tomorrow.  Really got me worried now.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 19:01:12 PM »
I dont see why he cant have another one put in, I totally agree with you and wouldnt be happy with it being on his tummy.
That is always a long way for it to have moved !!!!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 18:59:50 PM »
Edit: Just found it - on the underneath of his tummy.  Can he be re-chipped with another one? I'm not happy with it being there as if he was to get lost it could easily be missed.  I just spent the best part of 5 minutes running the scanner all over him and as it's me he was perfectly relaxed but if he was lost I don't think he'd co-operate with a stranger for 5 minutes.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Do microchips stop working?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 18:57:13 PM »
We have a microchip scanner at work and reunited a lost cat with it's owner today (not exactly my normal line of work but made my day  :))  Anyway, took the scanner home to check the boys' chips and Riley's is either not there or not working  :-: Lu's beeps instantly and is in the standard place but I have been over every inch of Riley's body with the scanner and it's not there.

It's really got me worried as if any one of them was going to 'escape' it would be Riley, am so glad I checked.  Will ring the vets tomorrow but just wondered if it could have fallen out or stopped working?  I know it was there as they had it done when they were neutered and I asked the nurse to scan them in front of me when I picked them up.

Link to CatChat