Author Topic: Cat Size Survey  (Read 12735 times)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Re: Cat Size Survey
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2007, 20:03:55 PM »
It's how local authority consultations work all the time. At present I am dealing with one that is determined to do one really dreadful thing with the argument that it is what the people want, and equally determined to do another silly thing that everyone has said they DON'T want, but which the authority thinks should be done - not reasonable to expect consultation to be logical ...

:rofl: :rofl:  Totally right BC - three years in a local authority taught me that!!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2007, 19:59:39 PM »
I just think it's odd to ask for views and then say that any negative views aren't relevant.

It's how local authority consultations work all the time. At present I am dealing with one that is determined to do one really dreadful thing with the argument that it is what the people want, and equally determined to do another silly thing that everyone has said they DON'T want, but which the authority thinks should be done - not reasonable to expect consultation to be logical ...

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2007, 19:48:18 PM »
Actually, I think it is relevant if people are telling you they wouldn't buy the product - perhaps that shows that there ISN'T a market for it?!  Far more valuable to you than neck sizes and ages (which don't tally by any means), I'd have thought?  And I work in marketing and regularly commission market research so I do know my eggs on this one ... please don't be offended, I just think it's odd to ask for views and then say that any negative views aren't relevant.

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2007, 19:40:09 PM »
There is a market for this product. The people on this forum are a tiny speck of the population and similar products such as the Loc8tor are doing very well but is a radio transmitter not GPS - which is what i'm designing. If you dont want a collar on your cat simple solution dont buy one, this design will be for the percentage of the population that puts collars on their pets and worries when their cat still hasnt come home late at night and would like to know where it is.

DIfferent versions will be available to change the cost that people pay. There will be a version with just a collar and you visit a website to locate your pet or a version where you can have up to 3 collars registered to a handheld gps device.

Please if your not going to post the size and age of your cat or a relevant question could you please complain about collars on a different post as i am trying to get some valuble research done here.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2007, 18:49:30 PM »
I am one of the no collar brigade but agree with Ela and CC that this is far too expensive for ordinary people and some will not even pay to get there cats neutered, have cat insurance or a chip which is far cheaper.

I think chipping and gettin all councils and vets to scan is a much better idea.

Quick release collars are the necessary type if a collar has to be used but surely to be able to locate the collar if its released but the cat still to be missing makes it all an expensive waste of time!

I applaud those who can design new things but surely market research needs to be done to see if its viable and I think the feed back you are getting here indicates that this is not a product that most here would buy or recommend.  :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2007, 18:34:41 PM »
I think it's a great idea and would definitely be interested in buying them if and when they're released.  I'm in the 'collar's are a necessary evil' group, although I'd only ever use a breakaway one after seeing the pics of poor Rosie's leg. 

The boys are indoor only at the moment, I'm looking to move somewhere with a garden suitable for catproofing but this would give me extra piece of mind that should they ever get lost then I could easily locate them.

ccmacey

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2007, 16:22:13 PM »
I worry about my cats going awol but wont use a collar because i think the threat of being hung/jaw injuries are greater than getting lost.

Yes MM this is the reason most wont put collars on, but it all came out wrong. What I meant to say was if people are that worried about their cat getting lost they would put collars and address tags on them instead of buying a very expensive device, I don't put collars on mine because of this very same reason.

Oh my new babe is in the cats stories section go chech her out  ;)

I don't think it would work (sorry) because-

A- what about the multi- cat households, I'm sure it will never be cheap enough to buy 2, 3 or 4 etc. Do you get 1 and rotate the collar wearing with a 1 in 1 out system lol.

B- It puzzles you when your cat comes back in with no collar, could you imaging them loosing a collar at the cost of £80. You start to think all sorts could of happened so you vow never to put a collar on them again!

Last but no least-

C- You are trying to appeal to people that don't like to put collars on and people that simply wouldn't/couldn't afford it. The only people that would be able to buy it would be the rich folks that never let their ped's out, meaning the cat will not get lost hence there being no reason for the tracker collar.

Sorry just my views  :shy:

I'm sure we all would love one if it were in some other form as we dread to think of our babes getting lost.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 16:27:05 PM by ccmacey »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2007, 15:51:37 PM »

I am not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but when people won't pay £3 for a wormer, I think you would be very lucky to sell a lot.  They will be for the wealthy and not for the likes of most of us on here.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2007, 15:45:16 PM »
velcro isnt a bad idea but when it gets wet its not much use at all and my cat must love rolling in puddles because some days he comes in wet and muddy even though its not raining. He's suck a mucktub but i still love him and its a good job he enjoys been dried with a towel.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2007, 15:41:56 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Misty is lovely seen Max having a wee peek  :shify:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2007, 15:37:13 PM »
just wondering what type of breakaway clasp is it...don't tell me ;)

No I was just wondering about good old velcro ?? and you could cut to length, so's just enough to keep collar in place and no more :wow:
hence if Pussy Cat got into difficulties, the velcro would just release it's self, Ok Cat come's home with no collar(maybe defeating the point)
but with the technology of the transmitter you could find it again :wow:
I do know of other one's out there but their range is a measly 600yrds and cost about £100

& along with the microchipping, youd never loose your puss again  ;D

Just a thought, or maybe I'm talking out of my A**E  :evillaugh:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2007, 15:27:18 PM »
I hope you've filed your patent on this

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2007, 15:26:19 PM »
Hopefully the costs will be under £80 but since the technology is so advanced it could still be quite costly for the next couple of years then hopefully the prices will drop and the collar could be produced for less causing it to have a lower retail price.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2007, 15:25:05 PM »
Would it not work better with a microchip then even people who dont like to put collars on would buy it too

I wouldnt  :evillaugh: At the moment microchips are inactive until a scanner goes over it. To be able to track via the chip would mean it would need a power source and i wouldnt have a battery put in my cats

If they were so worried about their cat getting lost surely they would just put a colar and address tag on them?
I worry about my cats going awol but wont use a collar because i think the threat of being hung/jaw injuries are greater than getting lost.

Whats this about a new kitten CC, is it a perm resident?

ccmacey

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2007, 15:12:07 PM »
Would it not work better with a microchip then even people who dont like to put collars on would buy it too  ;) I would say the majority of people dont put collars on their cats. If they were so worried about their cat getting lost surely they would just put a colar and address tag on them? Its been said before that even though the cat is chipped the finder doesn't always know to get them scanned.

How much do you think this would be priced at? Just an estimate will do.  :)

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2007, 15:05:46 PM »
Once i have all of the info, I need at least 100 sizes, i will look at the 3 or 4 most common sizes and create the collars. each collar will be able to be adjusted by a few centimeters so a huge size range will be available.

ccmacey

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2007, 15:02:49 PM »
So what age/size of cat are you making the device for?

I have an 8 week old kitten, I was going to post hers as a joke lol

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2007, 14:59:24 PM »
No its just easier to view the results plus its just in case someone has an 8 week old kitten and posts their size it will be completely irrelevant to what i need to know so i can easily discard their info.

ccmacey

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2007, 14:56:37 PM »
still say that age is irrelevant though

It's like saying everyone at a certain age will all be the same size.

I think you need to stick to the guidelines of small, medium and large.

Are you trying to distuniguish a pattern with age/size?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2007, 13:59:35 PM »
still say that age is irrelevant though

I agree 100%, we get old cats the size of kittens and kittens huge.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:03:54 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2007, 13:57:24 PM »
It sounds like he has had a collar on too tight at some point. I take my cats collar off daily and brush the fur around his collar and give him some time with it off.

Many, many years ago when I used to let my cats out they did have collars and they were most certainly not fitted too tight, they were also taken off when they cats were in for the night . Even with this done and not having a collar on for about 10 yrs you could still tell that at some time in their life they had worn a collar.

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2007, 13:37:28 PM »
I understand your point Ela and agree its out of concern, im just trying to weigh up the pros and the cons.  ;)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2007, 21:49:31 PM »
Homer - 7 months = 22 cms

Spotty - 14 =  25 cms

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2007, 21:16:04 PM »
Afraid I dont think any of mine will let me - if Molly would, her collar would actually be on her again!! I still say that age is irrelevant though - I have had cats that have been too fat for normal collars, yet cats of the same age who would have been fine.
Please spay your cat

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2007, 21:05:18 PM »
Jaffa is 29cm and he's 10 years old
Mosi is 25cm (he's long haired so some of that will be fur!) and he's 2 years old (nearly)

That's quite a close fit (but not tightly pulled) - a collar may need to be a bit looser. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2007, 20:48:54 PM »
 :rofl:  Stuart.

PS my fraser used to wear a collar which was never tight and has not worn one for many many years , 7+ id say and he still has a baldy ring around his neck too  :tired:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2007, 20:29:41 PM »
ok 1min to measure & 10mins of playing with tape measure :evillaugh: :Luv:

Misty 24cm and 16.6 yrs old
GSOH, Likes quiet night's in
and Long Snoozes, Looking
For an attractive Feline with
similar Intrest's for Friendship............Maybe More
;)
 :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 20:36:55 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2007, 20:26:59 PM »
It sounds like he has had a collar on too tight at some point. I take my cats collar off daily and brush the fur around his collar and give him some time with it off. He only really needs it when he leaves the house.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2007, 20:23:39 PM »
I have 2 cats in  now who obviously had a collar on at some time in their life. I know one of them has not had a collar on for at least 5 years` yet he still has fur missing on his neck and his fur looks like it has been squashed by a collar even after at least 5 years.

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 19:50:14 PM »
At the moment i am running through alot of the development of it so it could end up a tag but the weight would all be on the front which isnt very efficient the collar i am designing will have the weight distributed evenly and will weigh less than 80grams. most probably end up been about 40grams.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 19:40:46 PM »
Have done 5 out 6 but these are probably looser than a collar would be as my cats hate things round their necks and they all now think im a raving loon, well more so than normal  :rofl:

Tabitha 24cm 18 months old
Lola 27cm 5 years old
Milly 24cm 8 years old
Spike - hid under bed
Taz a stocky 30cm 18months old
Simon 25cm 2 years old

Im on the anti collar brigade too  :)

A rigid collar with weight on it would probably rub when it gets to the stage of testing. Would it matter if a device hung lower like a catflap magnet/name tag?

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2007, 19:30:21 PM »
The only other way to attach it would be a harness but that is even worse than a collar or an implant under the skin but technology hasnt advanced that far yet plus it would be very costly.

I understand everyones problems with collars and it is down to the owner if they want to put a collar on their cats. I had problems with collars when i was younger one cat had a reaction to the material and has a constant bald patch right round his neck for the rest of his life and my other cat fell in my pond and got her foot caught in her collar luckily she managed to still get out of the pond but wasnt too happy about it.

Since the safety clasps have been release i havent had any trouble with collars what so ever.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2007, 19:23:46 PM »
Blips collar size would be 24 /25 cm and she is nine years old.

However, I am strongly against cat collars for the reasons Ela gives.  As a marketer, may I suggest this should be of interest to saxamania, because a substantial proportion of the target market would not buy the product.

I like the idea of a transmitter though and wonder if there could be some other safe way to attach it (beyond my wit to devise this).

Edited as I don't think I allowed enough 'give' in my original measurement...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:52:01 AM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2007, 18:48:18 PM »
Sorry I cant do cos mine hate anything round their necks......ummmm so do I lol

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 18:07:51 PM »
Thanks for the replys this is all very helpful. Keep them coming guys

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 16:53:01 PM »
Just for an experiment I have just measured my biggest cat she is quite huge but obviously her neck is not as it  is only 21cm she is 17ish. I measured a 17 year old cat who is no bigger than a 4-5 month old kitten and weighs less than 2kg her neck is 22cm
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:14:05 PM by Ela »

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2007, 16:50:23 PM »
 Max is 23cm and he's 3 Y O

This cost me a cheesy blob distraction  :evillaugh:

Good Luck Sax with the research
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 16:34:15 PM »
sorry I'm at work, if I can find a tape measure I'll do it tonight

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 16:33:20 PM »
Please please please post some sizes i really need this for my research

Come on everyone, anyone else got measurements for Saxamania...

Here's mine:

Two 8 month old boys, both 22cm.

I'm designing a gps data puller so it will give the location of the cat in realtime on a full colour map and would most probably have a range of over a few miles.

Wow, sounds impressive  :wow: 

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 14:48:49 PM »
Right now my hard drive has died and i'm trying to extract them now. once i have them i will post some pictures of my current sculpture. Thank you for the interest.

Link to CatChat