Author Topic: Cat Size Survey  (Read 12734 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Cat Size Survey
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2007, 22:24:53 PM »
It's a good idea and something i used to always want a GPS tracking device so find out where my lads went.  I would buy it if i ever moved to a safe area where i could let my lads out.  Imagine being able to tell where they have gone at real time. Ie watching them (well a little dot on the gsp map) i would love that :)  But yes i agree collars are dispossable and if some how it was made where no collar was needed like as part of a chip then it would sell like wildfire i am sure.  ;D

I am glad though peeps are heading in the right direction and trying new things to help us find lost cats  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2007, 19:19:26 PM »
I have a solution for that  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Cut you into pieces and sling to all corners of the globe  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2007, 19:14:19 PM »
I'm a real mongrel - scottish, irish, english, danish, german and Australian. Go figure. If the aborigines have their way and send us back where we came from, I wouldn't know where to go :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2007, 19:11:11 PM »
Is just English, a Great Brit and a European  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2007, 18:59:36 PM »
 :naughty: Christine... mix all four up and you have a Great Brit  :naughty:

I'm not English either.  :shify: run...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2007, 17:41:01 PM »
Not sure what that makes me, apart from a mongrel

I must be too as mum was English although I have no Irish in me as far as I know.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2007, 17:38:00 PM »
My dad was Scottish and my Step dad Welsh, so does that make me doubly in the clear. ;D

I have Scottish, Welsh, English and Irish ancestors.  Not sure what that makes me, apart from a mongrel * :rofl:

*which I am extremely proud to be, by the way  :Luv:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 17:39:16 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2007, 17:31:55 PM »
My dad was Scottish and my Step dad Welsh, so does that make me doubly in the clear. ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2007, 17:12:36 PM »
I think part of research is to find out what people dont want, i never had a problem with people telling me they wouldnt buy what i had designed for my food tech exam  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2007, 17:04:02 PM »
That's OK, it would seem that Saxa has packed up his trolley and gone home without us anyway. And come to think of it, I am not exactly English myself  :rofl: :rofl: Ta, I want a kangaroo emoticon!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2007, 16:11:35 PM »
I think we're in the clear then Stuart ... it's just everyone else on Purrs who's causing trouble ... really, you lot ...  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2007, 16:05:46 PM »
and Im Scottish  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2007, 15:58:06 PM »
I never realised how stubborn the english were, i now remember why i am not very proud of been english.

I'm Welsh ....  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2007, 07:24:15 AM »
I also think they are a necessary evil. When mine start to go out they will be wearing collars, mainly so that people know instantly they are owned and if they do wander a bit too far someone will hopefully be able to ring me straight away without wondering for a few days whether they might be a stray etc

In reality quite the opposite very often happens, because although when people see a cat with a collar on they automatically think it has an owner. Many of the cats we take in as strays do have a collar on and often have been noticed in an area perhaps for many months but because they have a collar people assume they have an owner so do not not look at the collar owner details. It is only when the cat seems to be scavenging for food, unwell or in  bad state that they pick it up and if no details of an owner are on a collar they may put a message on it. Only then when they do not receive any phone call do they think it is lost. Of course for some of them it is too late.

I find that often people respond much quicker to a strange cat in an area when it has no collar. I get more calls about cats without a collar on that  may have been in a location sometimes only a few hours. We either go and scan ourselves or ask the 'finder' to take the cat to the vets for scanning, very  often they are reunited with their owner very quickly.  If there is no chip and the cat is well we place a paper collar on with a message and if no call within 3 days put the cat on the list waiting to come in and arrange for its care until we can bring it in. Far better that roaming for weeks. months with a collar on and everyone thinking it has an owner.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 09:23:53 AM by Ela »

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2007, 17:00:21 PM »
Saxa,

I also think they are a necessary evil. When mine start to go out they will be wearing collars, mainly so that people know instantly they are owned and if they do wander a bit too far someone will hopefully be able to ring me straight away without wondering for a few days whether they might be a stray etc (not that you would think Fergus is a stray with the size of his tummy  :evillaugh:).

I think what you're doing is really good, so good luck with it all. I would be interested in one, it would definitely put my mind at rest that when they're out knowing I could find them.

Polly, 6 month ragdoll x, 22cm
Fergus, 6 month ragdoll x, 24 cm

Good luck Saxa and let us know how you get on with it all, well I'd like to know anyway  :shy:

Emma

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2007, 16:28:25 PM »
hello  :)
i would measure my cat for you - but i cant because i'm away at uni and he is not (not cos he's stupid you understand.... he just didnt find life taking him in that direction....  :sneaky: )

anyway - sorry i cant help with that (my mum will just laugh if i ring and ask her to measure his neck  :evillaugh: )  but i wanted to say good luck with everything  ;D

and as much as i dont want to get involved here i think maybe a key point to consider is that this is being asked as RESEARCH - it doenst mean anything is set in stone and asking the sizes of cats necks AS RESEARCH seems a bloomin sensible idea to me - i dont know 100 cats i could go measure and i would have no idea how much neck sizes range.  this RESEARCH may have discovered that there was only like a 2cm range of sizes between 90% of cats - more than viable to work out.

i also would love to see photos of your cats and your sculptures please!!! 

like i said, good luck  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2007, 12:18:26 PM »
Yes thats what I thought, it dosnt seem that the pro's and con's have been weighed up. Fair enough make the device and sell it to people but are people really going to buy another if it gets lost? I think there is more chance of the cat returning home without the collar rather than the cat getting lost and I couldnt see owners buying another if the price is so high. People might go routing through bushes to find the cat but not the collar.  :shy:

Right cats measurements let me find a tape measure....

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2007, 10:40:34 AM »
I agree Ela, the problem with collars, even if you are willing to use them, is that they often end up draped over a bush or something similar so all you would be tracking is the collar - nice if it saves you having to buy collars all the time, but the priority here is finding the cat, not the collar - sorry saxa but you need to go back to the drawing board if you are seeking a practical solution. If, however, it is simply an assignment for your design course, as you originally suggested was the case, then good luck with the project.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2007, 10:22:48 AM »
'what would you see as a useful tool for achieving this goal

A Microchip with a tracking device is all I can think of that may be safe, I am sure in this day and age they could be made small enough, in fact I think they do have them for big cats, birds etc. All we would need then is a tracker no bigger than a microchip scanner. Alternatively walk the streets with something like a sky dish. ;D

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »
Its a collar that works as a tracking device, not just a safety collar. The concept is good, as I am sure all cat owners who have lost a cat will agree, in fact le chat noir and I discussed the possibility when we were looking for Phoebe. But, as others have mentioned, there are potential pitfalls with the present approach, both in terms of cat safety and market research. I wonder if, instead of starting from the point of 'I am designing a collar' you had taken the approach of 'what would you see as a useful tool for achieving this goal?' you might not have had a more constructive dialogue, saxa ...

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2007, 10:04:08 AM »
Hey Saxa, sozzy if you thought people were having a go at you :shy: but like it's been said this is a forum
for Cat Lover's with Differen't background's, Circumstances, and especially VIEW's and you have to take
the good ;D with the bad >:(

Just wondering though, what made you decide to design a safety collar ??
And have you done any research into the Risk's & injuries caused by them ??

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2007, 09:06:06 AM »
I never realised how stubborn the english were,

We are  not stubborn,  the fact is many of us are realistic to know the dangers of collars and have to deal with cats that suffer horrendous injurious because pf them.

but after coming into contact with how fussy you all are.

I don’t think you can call it fussy for caring enough about your cat not to put its life in danger.

I personally do feel that you have tried to use us and then had we all said what a wonderful idea, of course you would have stayed on the forum as you would have 900 potential customers.

You know were are really a nice caring  group of people (well most of us ;D) and in less than a year raised much money for cat rescue and saved the lives of many, many cats and that is because we are passionate about cats and their wellbeing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 16:20:11 PM by Ela »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2007, 08:44:16 AM »
I am sorry if you have been offended, but please bear in mind you hve posted on here purely for research, you haven't introduced yourself really, and on a subject that is very emotional for a lot of people on here, collars always create a big debate that we never agree on, so it is understandable we are cautious.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2007, 08:31:09 AM »
I don't think the English are stubborn - just reluctant to release information to strangers when they don't know the person asking the question. I have only been here less than a year and have learned there is a degree beyond which one does not go until one has established one's bonafides. I also think it is valuable for your research to get a cross-section of views about why people might be resistant to your product. It is essential marketing background info so that you can respond to the bases of resistance when designing your product. You may not get that advice from the designers you are working with but you will certainaly get it from the people aiming to help you market it.

GOod luck with  your project but please, don't take the comments here as a personal criticism, view them more as useful insights into the mind of the consumer.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2007, 23:08:58 PM »
Maine Coons are and he has over two years still to grow.......wow  ;D

Offline Willow

• Adult Cat
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2007, 23:00:29 PM »
Willow - 27cm - 15 month old Maine Coone.   

What a big boy!!!! :Crazy:

ccmacey

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2007, 22:03:42 PM »
Ahh so were are shooting the gun before it's loaded. Just we are an inquisative bunch who likes to know who,where, when and why. You would think tis Dragons Den  :rofl:

I will do my cats tomorrow to late tonight.

Is there any age to start and stop by as you said an 8  week old kittens would be no good (sorry Delilah)
so where do we start from ie youngest - oldest age.

I wish you luck.

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2007, 21:56:47 PM »
The cost and design of it are all been worked out at the moment. I have another 5 weeks until i will have a finished prototype and then after that it could be up to or over 1 year until it is in the shops.

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

ccmacey

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2007, 21:48:46 PM »
We are the market all were asking is what your trying to sell us.  I think its interesting but just dont see how it would work out, with the cost/design etc.

Hey being stubborn is a good thing sometimes.  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2007, 21:48:02 PM »
Sorry you feel that way Sax, this is a discussion forum so I'm afraid you will get lots of different views on issues especially a contentious issue such as collars.

Anyway, I for one am very interested in this collar.  Is there any way of finding out when it has been finalised and produced?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2007, 21:45:43 PM »
American fourums are very different to this one and so are their attitudes to cats.

This is a generalization of course but we think cats are part of our family but many americans think they are a design accessory.

Offline saxamania

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2007, 21:42:21 PM »
I dont understand how it can be so hard just to get a few sizes. I went on an american forum and instantly had about 20 different cats but here its so bloody difficult. I never realised how stubborn the english were, i now remember why i am not very proud of been english. I am a cat lover and was thinking of joining this community but after coming into contact with how fussy you all are i think i'll cancel my membership.

The product will be successful since i have 2 well establised designers backing me up on the idea and i doubt people who have designed for ford and such movies as batman would want anything to do with something that was a pile of shite.

A big thank you to those that have helped.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2007, 21:30:25 PM »
I am afraid Saxa if you want to come on this forum , its not just a research tool that you can use as and when you want.

People here as you can see, have a lot of opinions and views and they will voice them.......it may not be what you want to hear but thats life!!

Are you going to be part of the Purrs community or are you just using us?

ccmacey

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2007, 21:24:27 PM »
Right so how many members are here, over 900? With how many cats between us? How many of us have said we would buy it? How do you figure that there is a market for it if not one soul on here said they would get one?  :-:

this design will be for the percentage of the population that puts collars on their pets and worries when their cat still hasn't come home late at night and would like to know where it is.

So are you saying because we don't put collars on our cats we don't care?  >:( I would say the people that put collars on would only be paying about a £5 for it anyway, so do you think they are going to pay what your asking  :rofl:

I think your fighting a loosing cause, whats the point in making something for cats that a cat lover isn't going to buy?

And if you don't want anyone's opinion or feed back you should stand in the street and do a survey.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2007, 20:40:30 PM »
BTW I would like something that would allow me to track my little babes which could be implanted like a microchip - that way we could check out their location regardless of whether they have their collar on or not. With my lot I would be far more likely to spend hours following the blips only to discover I had been tracing the wereabouts of the collar - and the cat sitting at home laughing at me out there in the cold. Collars are disposable assets as far as most cats are concerned in my experience...

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2007, 20:30:53 PM »
Stuart -  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can't possibly go and measure anyone's neck now, I'm too hysterical.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2007, 20:17:13 PM »
sorry, we are easily distracted as you can tell, but as this is academic research - Smidgen 210mm - a six month old male abyssinian cross (oriental body type)
Esther 230 mm, female moggy, adult, age unknown. Is that better???

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2007, 20:15:09 PM »
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2007, 20:10:03 PM »
Please if your not going to post the size and age of your cat or a relevant question could you please complain about collars on a different post as i am trying to get some valuble research done here

Its a public forum open to everybodys views. You could always choose another forum with 900 members. If you can find one.

Please will all the sheep line up here

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2007, 20:07:23 PM »
It's how local authority consultations work all the time. At present I am dealing with one that is determined to do one really dreadful thing with the argument that it is what the people want, and equally determined to do another silly thing that everyone has said they DON'T want, but which the authority thinks should be done - not reasonable to expect consultation to be logical ...

EH ??????  :-:

this sounds like the jargon you get from a solicitors letter  :shocked: I'm well confused  :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 20:09:05 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Link to CatChat