Author Topic: What ....... Title of thread changed  (Read 8631 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: What ....... Title of thread changed
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2007, 18:25:21 PM »
well i guess you could be had on a technical loop hole there cc  :sneaky:

Some would say this is primarily a rescue forum so since that cat was actually trying to be rescued (mmmmm that doesnt sound right..ok someone was trying to rescue that cat  :evillaugh: ) so technically i suppose a few folk would say it had a place for anyone who wanted to watch it  ;)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 18:24:58 PM »
but at least you had a choice to see them, I chose not to but deleting everything is just daft, what next book burning?

I too am a cat lover but have a good laugh at you've been framed cat pieces

and so what I have the right to speak my mind!

and someone removed everyones else's rights
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

ccmacey

Re: WTF?!
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 18:19:04 PM »
i didn't like the videos, would rather not see cats possibly come to harm.

Totally agree.

It was me that posted saying I didnt like the video links, and so what I have the right to speak my mind!

Who would post such stupid video's of cats possibly hurting themselves on a cat lovers site???  :-:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 15:28:45 PM »
Im getting a headache!  :rofl: Must be all the brickwalls!

:evillaugh: :rofl: :evillaugh: :rofl: :evillaugh: :rofl: :evillaugh: :rofl: :evillaugh:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 15:26:58 PM »
Im getting a headache!  :rofl: Must be all the brickwalls!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 15:23:32 PM »
Rant over for good!

Are You Sure ????? :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 15:18:25 PM »
SpecialRed,

However to say things like  "I can't believe i'm reading this!! You people are supposed to by adults!!" (Or words to that effect) about somebody who has posted for help regarding their ill cat is bad form in IMO. Not saying that you are not allowed an opinion but the way things are worded can sometimes read harsher than what they are meant to be

This is the last time I go over my point, It was NOT aimed specifically at the person who posted, but more at the People offering bad advice (lie etc) who I presume are responcible adults. My opinion was to be honest, and I think we can all see that my advice was the best advice as thats exactly what they did! I persally think I hit the nail on the head with my statement.

Rant over for good!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 15:00:26 PM »
I thought the ill part on the other thread was a fib to excuse the person who posted from spending Christmas away from their cats. I could've got it wrong.

The point is, forums have moderators. Sometimes they'll remove links and edit things as they see appropriate and we'll wonder why. If this is the case surely it's easier to send a PM asking one of the mods to explain the reasoning behind their actions? SR, noone wants you to leave due to a disagreement - they happen.  I personally have no idea how many cats most people have on this forum or for the main part which ones are involved in rescue work. I come on here because the people like cats! Yep, I'm what's commonly known as a "simple soul!" :evillaugh:

Hope you're feeling less fraught about the posting incident by now. (Have a cuppa - that always helps me; see I'm simple!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 14:53:18 PM »
No one is "ganging up" on you at all, if the MODs feel it necessary to delete something them maybe we should all just respect that fact, without them this Forum would not be the fantastic place that it is.  
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 14:52:22 PM »
SpecialRed,

I am sorry that you feel you are being ganged up on I'm pretty sure that isn't anybodys intention on here.

However to say things like  "I can't believe i'm reading this!! You people are supposed to by adults!!" (Or words to that effect) about somebody who has posted for help regarding their ill cat is bad form in IMO. Not saying that you are not allowed an opinion but the way things are worded can sometimes read harsher than what they are meant to be

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 14:51:57 PM »
Sheryl, You're welcome to it !!! ;D

Hi Lynn, working for BJ services atm but not enjoying working for them cause I'm home most of the time >:(
but then PURR's help's me wile away the time through the day  :wow: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
P.S. what rig is your OH on ?? I was on the Murchison(cnr) for 2 month's all together, I liked tha Rig ;)
also got a phone call from aiken group today about another job...:wow:

A test to see if These link's are deleated  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV71mpbvl-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Mq9Y4Vq4M

:evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 14:57:07 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 14:38:43 PM »
Hi SpecialRed, I'm not going to comment on the vidz you put up, But I will say that not all People
have the same Humor i.e. "what someone find's funny another may not" I personally don't want you
to leave PURR'S but that's up to you, but You must remember that everyone is entitled to their own
opinion, I know your hacked off with the Mod's deleating link's, but I think that just goes back to, not
everyone has the same taste
It'appen's.

I work offshore, and every Job I do, I meet Differen't People, Some of whom I dont see eye to eye with >:(
but that is Life, and I wouldn't leave my Job just because of that, if you catch my drift ;)

I was going to say My Misty Fell from a Hight similar to the telegragh pole and ended up with a cracked tooth
and skint chin, I know cat's are resiliant creature's, but you can't say for certain that the cat was not injured !!

OOps I'm talkin about your vid  :shy:

Stuart, I work with people I dislike and have never let it get in the way on me doing my job, but the difference is that people are disliking it based on nothing, the cat was DEFINATELY not hurt as I saw this on a program and the Video was actually submitted with the approval of the owner. I then looked it up on You tube to show peeps on here.

I do understand everyones opinions are different but it does not change the fact someone used there 'power' to delete something that (having looked at most posts) the majority did not find offensive. One mod said one thing and another disagreed, I got annoyed as there REASON for removing them was basically made up! The fact the links still work on here also baffles me but in the same way it must show the powers that be that MODs need to be as open minded as the people who use the site, judging from the responces.

Im now getting grief of another user for telling them to be honest, and feel like certain people are ganging up. Yes Im new here and dont know people and there circumstances that well but when someone asks for advice, and I believe its BAD advice then I will say something.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 14:36:00 PM »
Can I have your job please Stu ????  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 14:35:24 PM »
First vid wasnt offensive, Having first hand experience treating or helping treat injuries from cats jumping often far less height than that i felt naturally concerned and have enough knowledge to know that just because we could see it running away didnt mean there wasnt injuries.  However i'd not have been upset or annoyed at the posting of the vid.

Second one again not offensive or anything although somehow it felt staged which led me to wonder if the cat had any problems and the owner knew that was going to happen, that is maybe my over active imagination though, but none of the vids offended me.

Hi stuart, LOL I remember that feeling well getting used to hubby at home after weeks then having to get used to being on me todd again, then him, coming back and it taking 2 wks of teeth gritting and arguments before getting once again accustomed to him being here  :evillaugh: which company you work for ?  My hubby with cnr at the mo. (sorry way off topic LOL)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 14:33:06 PM »
Hi Sheryl, I'm Fine-ish, got a phone call today from my work, think I'm going back offshore tommorrow :(
I have been Home for 5 week's and was kinda getting used to being a lazy  :censored:  ....   But I don't want to go :sick:  :rofl: :rofl:
(I still get paid when I'm at Home...but shhhh, dont tell anyone :shify:)

P.S. How's Charlie doing... :Luv:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 14:38:17 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 14:21:10 PM »
After Charlies accident I dont think I could bear to watch cats falling from height, makes me feel sick (those of you who followed his recovery will know what I mean)

Hi Stu - hows you ???
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 14:16:32 PM »
Hi SpecialRed, I'm not going to comment on the vidz you put up, But I will say that not all People
have the same Humor i.e. "what someone find's funny another may not" I personally don't want you
to leave PURR'S but that's up to you, but You must remember that everyone is entitled to their own
opinion, I know your hacked off with the Mod's deleating link's, but I think that just goes back to, not
everyone has the same taste
It'appen's.

I work offshore, and every Job I do, I meet Differen't People, Some of whom I dont see eye to eye with >:(
but that is Life, and I wouldn't leave my Job just because of that, if you catch my drift ;)

I was going to say My Misty Fell from a Hight similar to the telegragh pole and ended up with a cracked tooth
and skint chin, I know cat's are resiliant creature's, but you can't say for certain that the cat was not injured !!

OOps I'm talkin about your vid  :shy:

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 13:48:46 PM »

No cats were harmed, the first one was fine believe it or not and the second one, well its obvious its not hurt itself! I did put a comment on the title to saythere not harmed! Is that not enough!

I can't watch the ones posted below because i'm work and i can't get on youtube  :tired: but i did see a couple on the original link and i just don't see the point of posting someting that is obviously going to get a reaction

But judging by the comments he made on the thread about Xmas arrangements I think getting a reaction is the name of the game  

Im sorry if you DONT think honesty is the best policy!

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »
This thread is a typical example of how opinions differ between members. We all have our own likes and opinions as on any forum and there are bound to be disagreements. That's why we do need some guidelines to make it fair and pleasent place for everybody.
All of the Staff at Purrs have guidelines on what to moderate and all the members were asked to read and follow the guidelines before you register for an account with us. There is a copy here http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=3024.0
As Susanne and Dawn have said Mods and Admins do also have their own opinions and try to make the best decisions for the whole member group, some maybe on the right track , some not and you have every right to say if your opinion is different. After all we are here for all of your best interest and to give you a nice forum to belong too.  It helps if all members are aware of our guidelines when you register and if you are not happy , then it is completely your choice to join us or not.  :)

One of the reasons we like to keep the forum on a friendly and welcoming basis is because it's the best way to help and give advice to members with cat or general questions and problems. The advice is taken in much more if given in a friendly way and therefore can help more.  
Two of the other reasons are ... that we are a public forum free for all to read and children do read our posts and are members. For all our members to have a pleasant forum and a place for cat lovers to chat about all sorts of topics. This also helps to boost the fundraising, the main purr-puss (cuse the pun) of why Purrs is here.  :)

If you are not aware of what are guidelines are , please have a read of them and help us to keep a friendly forum for all our members.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 11:57:10 AM »
Generally, threads are locked when they have become argumentative or the original post has long since been answered and keeping the thread open achieves no purpose.  Links promoting other sites or regarding animals for sale are removed as per the rules.

None of these was the reason to close the thread it was only closed out of personal choice, in my opinion people could look if they chose.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
But judging by the comments he made on the thread about Xmas arrangements I think getting a reaction is the name of the game   

What comments? I have managed to yet again be completely oblivious to things happening on here.....go me! :evillaugh: The link didn't work very fast for me, so I didn't let it run. I guess I'm just not interested enough in this debate - I expect there to be a degree of censorship on a site it's just how it is. Yes, sometimes it's petty, but there are more important things to worry about. Sorry if that offends anyone.

Aaah, just read the Christmas thread. SR, some people are just extremely worried about hurting peoples feelings - I would agree though that if what someone wants is a quiet Christmas with their cats, they should just say so. If people don't understand that's up to them.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:50:54 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 09:20:16 AM »
Not offensive links but I didn't like the first one.  It was a cat obviously stuck on top of the post (hence the rescue attempt) and then jumping a long way in fear.  My first reaction was not to marvel at the agility of the cat, but to wonder whether he was ok.

re editing and locking threads - the proportion of threads that are locked or edited is a tiny proportion of the total threads.  When a possibly contentious thread is seen, whoever sees it just has to make a decision based on Purrs guidelines and their own feelings.   There will probably never be 100% agreement on what should be edited and what shouldn't.  Generally, threads are locked when they have become argumentative or the original post has long since been answered and keeping the thread open achieves no purpose.  Links promoting other sites or regarding animals for sale are removed as per the rules.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »
I can't watch the ones posted below because i'm work and i can't get on youtube  :tired: but i did see a couple on the original link and i just don't see the point of posting someting that is obviously going to get a reaction

just read the other threads and i agree :tired:

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 09:00:08 AM »

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 08:41:57 AM »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 00:34:16 AM »
I think its one of those ones where the cat is embarrassed that it missed the mark and starts cleaning itself trying to look nonchalant as if to say "I meant to do that"  :evillaugh:

I guess it is hard to please all the people all the time though  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 00:32:25 AM »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6067987480536636701

That did make me wince but i didnt think it was bad enough to remove or have the thread closed.

I too am sometimes frustrated about threads that get closed.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 00:29:30 AM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 00:28:54 AM »
ok Mark here is another as the mod in question seems to be sleeping! and if it was my cat I would have laughed!

and the cat was not harmed!

:rofl: Gotta love 'em  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 00:28:09 AM »
Part of the problem on a forum is we can't keep everyone happy.  What doesn't affect one person may affect someone else so it's quite difficult sometimes as to what to do for the best.  I hope the censoring of posts doesn't cause people to not want to post and I can understand how frustrating it is to have post deleted without a justified reason, but in some situations, censoring is needed to keep the forum running smoothly. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 00:29:42 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 00:22:30 AM »
Two mods, two opinions, one site!   Point made!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 00:16:49 AM »
Tell me, is this video offensive??????? Simple Yes or No answers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9SwUAXhxPQ

It's not a video I would censor but still quite upsetting to watch but in the respect that I'm now left wondering whether or not the cat actually got hurt after his jump.  It's amazing what cats can do and what they are capable of when the adrenalin kicks in.  When I saw it, I thought of Otis straight away, he got home still standing and had broken his pelvis both sides.  I don't think you can give simple yes or no answers.  There was no cruelty involved, it's a case of a rescue not going as planned, I just hope he was okay.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 00:22:01 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 00:16:05 AM »
That one is ok I see my boys do daft things like that every day

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 00:12:12 AM »
ok Mark here is another as the mod in question seems to be sleeping! and if it was my cat I would have laughed!

and the cat was not harmed!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 00:07:13 AM »
No to this video - Its something a cat did while someone was tying to rescue it - there was no cruelty involved and the cat didn't appear to get hurt. I am concerned about the level of censoring at times.

I didn't see the other vids so can't comment on those.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 00:09:12 AM by Mark »

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 00:02:22 AM »
unsettling????

Its news, the war is unsettling but we get shown images of it everyday, a cat on a post, showing the unbelievable ability that cats posses in nothing but amazing!

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 23:56:34 PM »
offensive no, its a news item but yes to a bit unsettling. sorry no one word answer

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 23:52:44 PM »
Tell me, is this video offensive??????? Simple Yes or No answers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9SwUAXhxPQ

I personally think its an example of the agility of the cat, but apparently its cruel and mean!!

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 23:51:23 PM »
 :shify:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 23:42:13 PM »
nope the post was there its been locked ant links deleted, I personally never looked and I thought that option was mine to make, locking and deleting is not good and though that stuff wasn't going to happen again.

Link to CatChat