Author Topic: Help needed with older stray gent - RIP Timmy  (Read 12698 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Help needed with older stray gent
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 14:23:31 PM »
Is he a Langley cat, Rachel? Or brought in from somewhere else (I used to live in Chalvey!) 

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 13:53:42 PM »
Worth posting his photo on here too, Rachel, he's quite appealing and someone may take a shine to him here who hasn't seen the other thread.  :cat rub:

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »
He wouldn't go hypo as cats have thyroid tissue elsewhere in there body that kicks in to compensate, I work as student vet nurse and have had thyroidectemy on my own cat and she is 100% better since , being hyperthyroid was seriously affecting her liver, since the op her liver perimeters are back to normal, unfortunately not in Pdsa catchment   

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
After a thyroidectomy he'll be hypothyroid and need daily doses of thyroxine which need to be monitored regularly to ensure the correct dose. However, this is far easier than treating an hyper-active thyroid with meds. (I have a hypoactive thyroid and just take a pill each day and have annual blood tests, though initially the tests were more regular to check the levels of thyroxine needed.)

Have you tried taking him to the PDSA? I don't know whether you qualify (benefits or low income) but you could phone and ask. They will treat him for free but will expect a donation, which is only fair considering all the help they give.

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 10:21:03 AM »
Thanks papillon  , :thanks:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 23:04:02 PM »
Hi Rachel, i am happy to donate towards this little guy tests too.
I will keep an eye on this thread.

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 20:41:10 PM »
Thanks sheilarose :)

they can have meds or special food, but if I am rehoming him, would rather have the thyroidectomy done (if possible) so the new owner dosn't have the cost / worry with meds, basically they remove the over active thyroid gland, quite a simple/ quick op if the vet is used to doing it. Have just had it done very successfully on my 19 yrold cat.... would need to raise somewhere in the region of £300 for that!!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 20:35:22 PM »
I'd like to help with a donation too, Rachel.

I'll be watching these threads come Wednesday. Fingers crossed someone reports him lost before then. I'll keep checking NPR and AnimalSearch for a lost report. Where was he handed in - postcode?

What's a thyroidectomy? Don't HT cats usually get meds as opposed to surgery?

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 19:06:06 PM »
Thanks helen :)

I do have paypal, but want to hold of taking donations till we have had him for 7 days, (Wednesday) more of a pledge for now :) to see if will be possible to get the test done

will try the other sites you have suggested

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 18:49:43 PM »
Hi Rachel

I would be willing to chip in for this little ones' tests, do you have a paypal address that donations can be sent to? I'm guessing you've already tried most of these but there may be one or two you weren't aware of - http://www.catchat.org/adoption/berks.html It may also be worthwhile posting on the Animal Lifeline forum, they have worked wonders in the past http://www.animallifelineuk.org/forum/forum.php

Here's his other thread for anyone wanting to read about him http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,43502.msg776266.html#msg776266

We have to add this disclaimer to any non-official fundraiser...

[gmod]It is up to the individual member to donate their money to a donation or fund request and Purrs advises strongly to carry out full checks that funds would be used for the stated purpose. Purrs cannot be held responsible for members private donations to a request that is not an official Purrs fundraisier or collection.[/gmod]

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
Help needed with older stray gent - RIP Timmy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 18:12:30 PM »
Hi

Not sure if I am allowed to post this kind of think in here, please delete if its not allowed

We have had an older 'stray' cat handed in to us (please see my other post for full details - Urgent help / foster home / warm shead needed for older gent by wednesday - Berkshire)

I am looking at raising some penny's towards his blood tests and potential treatment (providing a foster home can be found) as I do not have the funds to pay for it all myself, we are not able to do anything until Wednesday as he hasn't been with us for 7 days yet, but I was wondering if people would be willing to pledge towards his treatment (aprox £50 is needed for his blood tests)

Any help would be appreciated  :innocent:

Rachel 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 19:32:03 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Link to CatChat