Author Topic: Thimble update  (Read 10815 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Thimble update
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
What an amazing effort you're putting in - how annoying is it going to be when, after all you've done and all the people you've spoken to, she casually strolls through the cat flap one evening?  :)

Does your local area have an internet forum? If so, it would be worth posting on there. The area I used to live in (in south London) had a very busy forum and there were often posts by people who'd found cats and were trying to trace their owners. 
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
  • looking for my sweet kitten Thimble always
  • Slave to: Bubble and Squeak
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »
oh my gosh, my heart almost stopped just now.... looking animal search uk at new found cats and one looks like thimble's twin, in West Midlands too! Slightly more ginger round the nose (had to check a photo to be sure) sooooo  close!

B :Luv2:
xx
Please help me find my best friend Thimble, missing in Coventry 19.10.10

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2010, 02:16:10 AM »
the linked article has worried me that we haven't searched neighbours shed and gardens ourselves, we don't know people so I didn't ask to when we first knocked. I didn';t read about the importance of doing that until afterwards. Feels late too now. although most have small gardens here as it's all built up.

What does everyone think? re-knock on closest neighbours and ask to physically check sheds just in case?

xx

Most definately would and most of the time that is enough for them to check themselves there and then.  If you do find her in a neighbours shed just for safety have her checked at the vets and only allow small amounts of food and water.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2010, 00:48:14 AM »
No extra advice just some moral support if that counts for anything  :hug:

Offline Cat_Crazy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 00:33:42 AM »
Hi becka. Firstly all the very best in getting Thimble back  :hug:. My naughty Tortie, Kitty went missing for nearly a month back in July. OH and I were beside ourselves with worry. Spent countless hours knocking on peoples doors, putting up posters, checking parks, phoning around local vets. In the end we had an extremely helpful lady phone and tell us Kitty was a regular in her garden.

I am pretty much going to echo what everyone is saying - please try and stay positive, I know its hard at times. Lots of worry and stress though is defanitely no good for your physical or mental health.

I am keeping everything crossed that you get the call your are desperately hoping for - to hear Thimble is safe and well.  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2010, 23:00:53 PM »
Yes definately, she may have strolled in and  fallen asleep and got trapped  :hug: :hug:

I have shut Sasa in the shed by accident and then couldnt find her and eventually unlocked the shed and there she was. I was so relieved cos dont go in there that often.

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 22:56:06 PM »
the linked article has worried me that we haven't searched neighbours shed and gardens ourselves, we don't know people so I didn't ask to when we first knocked. I didn';t read about the importance of doing that until afterwards. Feels late too now. although most have small gardens here as it's all built up.

What does everyone think? re-knock on closest neighbours and ask to physically check sheds just in case?

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2010, 22:46:13 PM »
So pleased that so many are watching out for Thimble, keep your chin up and she may just appear through the flap following the B&W  ;D

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 22:41:04 PM »
P.S What  an interesting article. Problem with putting food out is the neighbours cat eats it! the big fat B&W one (bless him) comes inside to eat thimbles food now we have the cat flap open at night since thimble went missing. No wonder it's so fat!

I've tried to discourage this as the scent won't bring thimble home. although she does love that cat and follows him around usually.

xx

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 22:28:58 PM »
Going to check it out now, thanks. and Thanks to all for their kind messages, you guys are even greater than I thought you'd be :-)

We've done a lot of knocking. in fact found some people who live at the back of us who knew her and i didn't know she sat on their fence, so was useful to know. To try and put a picture of what she gets up to! One neighbour said they tried to stroke her often but she always runs off, she was always timid with strangers outside.

Hard to judge but must have done about 200 houses I would think. Also bumped into someone who'd had an email from Angie (thanks Ang) so it was good to feel lots of people are looking. The cat owners (there's a fair few round here!) all understand completely.

I agree that maybe someone has her. Can only hope my persistence with ads in paper and posters guilts them into calling. But who knows.  She is chipped but would a vet always check a chip if they took her for a check up?

B :L
uv2:
xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 22:16:56 PM »
So pleased you know its not Thimble and I reckon she is closer to home Becka  :hug: :hug:

Did you see the site that Sam posted yesterday cos it has some useful info on?

I dont know what the area you live in is like but have you done any door knocking cos Thimble is so beautiful and someone may have her.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 21:34:27 PM »
Aw so sorry it wasn't Thimble but you did everything you could and should be proud of that.  Topping up the vibes for her to return.   :hug:  :hug:  Come on Thimble, we know you're out there.  Mummy is desperate to find you so shake a leg.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 20:26:06 PM »
Don't give up hope Becka.   Often the best results are obtained when we almost give up.   :hug:

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
Re: Thimble update another sighting crossed off
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 18:45:22 PM »
well  I got to tesco, put  a poster or two outside and wandered in. They have a notice board for customers so i aksed to put my poster up and they said no way. No animals as then everyone would want to...Honestly! It had two tiny notices on there. waste of time. I've always hated tesco. grrr

Anyway, needed parcel tape and more plastic wallets so bought some, asked the cashier but she'd not seen a cat. She said hers went for 4 weeks then strolled back in, always nice to hear that :-)

On my way out, wasn.t sure what to do, thougt maybe I'd track down the trolley man as they usually see a lot. Noticed three staff in the bank there sitting around so asked them. They had heard about  acat that hangs around! Excellent! So spoke to some oters in the cafe who have seen the cat. one was ADAMANT it was thimble after barely seieng the photo, you know the sort...one other girl said she thought it was B&W...

On my way out leaving posters with them and saw a security guard leaving so grabbed him and he let me in to speak to the ones on duty. They agreed to put a poster on staff notice board for me. Ace. He said they have a mascot cat that hangs out by the trolleys, the one the cafe girls had seen. he said it has a green collar and is b&w...so it seems it wasn't thimble. as she didn't have a green collar and has a fair bit of ginger and brown <sigh>

BUT! at least I went and found out. so thanks for the push Gill. I did however nearly get lost on the wa tyhere and the way back!! Ridiculius!

I also saw a gorgeous cat on the way back with a masisve furry tail who i stopped to chat with. i asked her where thimble was but she didn't know.

The search continues....

xx

Offline princessmaizie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 17:57:56 PM »
Good luck! I really hope someone at the supermarket has seen her!!

Come home Thimble, your mommy misses you!

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 17:31:40 PM »
i do hope thimble returns soon. they cause us such worry don't they?

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 16:52:56 PM »
i am going up there. will see what i can see...not a lot possibly. but will put  aposter up anyway. and see if any staff know anything i guess.

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 16:40:20 PM »
I think carol posted while you were writing and that could be a good idea. :hug:

I think your bf has to understand that if Thimble has managed to get 20/25mins away he has to support you and be of assistance cos it sounds like she is in danger where she is now.

There is in my opinion no point in doing posters and getting sighting calls unless they are followed up and the sad and hard line here is........do you want Thimble back and what are you prepare to do for it, within reason of course.

I believe Angie offered to help you and maybe you should chat with her to see what she suggests based on the latest info.

I am sure she would be will to accept a donation to the Coventry Cat Group  in return ;) ;)

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 16:23:03 PM »
he can't take calls at work as it's like a warehouse type thing. could  text but he said he doesn't want me to go really.

I live in Bell Green, Coventry.

You're right though, if he saw her today i should go an look, but where is another thing, tesco is in a massive car park with lots of other shops etc and next to the canal. :-/

<sigh>

xx

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 16:22:14 PM »
 :hug:  :hug:  Do you think your neighbour's are approachable?  If so, you might call on one of then and explain your predicament and tell them where you are going.  You never know, you may even make a friend.  I do so hope it is Thimble that people are sighting and that you get her back soon.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 16:18:08 PM »
Cant you ring bf at work and tell him where you are going and that you will ring him again at x time and if you dont he must ring you.

My cat Sasa slipped oiut while the boiler man was here and she wont come in, she is looking drowned but too scared to come in cos she thinks its not safe....she is a semi feral and I made the mistake of calling her to come in, which drove her in opposite direction.

I dont think there is any point going the next day after sightings cos she will have vanished again............are you at work or at home?

What area are you in to see iof any Purrs peeps are round your way?

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 16:06:40 PM »
that's the problem though, i have NO friends within about 100 miles and i don't know the neighbours apart to say hi. We relocated here and i work from home so not had a chnace to make any friends. sad but true.

the weather is dismal so if a cat is sensible it's in the dry somewhere i guess... Going t go there tomorrow morning. I'm not happy really about doing that but i have no ersonal alarm or whistle and no-one apart form boyf to tell where i'm going and he's stuck at work...

I didn't realise quite how isolated i am until this happened. :-/ I miss my parents! what  a sad case :-(

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 16:06:02 PM »
I echo what Sue said and hope beyond hope that its Thimble...............please be careful  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 15:59:30 PM »

Becka, please be sensible.  Take a torch with you.  If you have any kind of personal alarm or a whistle, take that too and let a neighbour or a friend know by phone what time you're setting out and what time you anticipate being back - arrange to call again briefly just to let them know you're okay.  It's not a question of being a scaredy-cat, it's about being careful.

Also, be prepared to accept that sometimes people want to help, to the point where they convince themselves they've seen something they haven't, or that a black and white cat looks exactly the same as a small tortoiseshell.   Sad, but true.

I so wish you had one of us able to come and help you look, but in the absence of that, sending big hugs  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 15:50:12 PM »
can you ring someone at tesco?  when I lost my engagement ring at sainsburys they were fantastic and even had a look in the car park for it - not the same I know but if you get a cat lover they  might try and help

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
RE Thimble update!
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 15:48:27 PM »
AGGHHH!!! Just had a call frm a foreign gentleman, could barely understand him. Thinks he saw thimble by the big tesco. about a mile away or a bit more. Now he said she was there another day too and people were taking photos of her? sounds odd. i may have misudrestood...

Anyway, I am home alone as boyf at work til 12.30am again and meant to be working. Could go out but no car so would be walking over there in rain and nearly darkness. Not sure what to do.

This place is right by the smae canal where the scaffolding cat possible goes, so could possibly be same cat. who knows.

I hate feeking so isolated, if i walk there now it'll be 20/25 min walk there and involves a park and alleyways, i'm not a scaredy cat but it's not the nicest of areas... :-/

feel helpless! plus no call from scaffold man today

:Luv2:
xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »

I know how frustrating this must be, but keeping everything crossed that the cat is Thimble and that you will get her back.     :hug:Come on Mr Scaffold man.!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »
Photograph on the phone is a great idea!  ;D
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 09:14:27 AM »
I rang scaffold man and he promises to call as soon as the cat appears again. He also said he'll try and get a pic on his camera phone for me :-)

I can't just go and sit down there all day sadly, as I have to work . Plus there is a gap in the fence so  cat can come and go. At least I work from home so can run down there at the drop of a hat, and it's only down the road. Just wished my boyf was around more today. He's off out to an interview at 12.15pm then to work so I'll have to go down there by myself again i think.  :-:

I may be on the phone to Angie for her cat trap! we shall see!

xx

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 23:29:17 PM »
Thanks Fire Fox, good point. I shan't give up. I have also had a false alarm with a lost b&w and got the people to (hopefully) take him to the vet for scanning for a chip so hopefully will get reunited with someone. Also like you say, if we manage to get this stray., even if it's not thimble, we could get it off the streets.

The support on here is really helping. At times like this you need people that understand. Even my boyfriend, god love him, said he knows i was much closer to Thimble than him so realises it's different for me, even though he's sad too.

Thank you to everyone for you constant support.

xx

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 23:22:53 PM »
It is hopeful that the builder has rung you, you know the cat is still visiting and the man cares enough to get in touch.  :) There are many cases of cats turning up days, weeks and even months later - far more likely to be reunited if slaves put the effort in as you clearly are.  :hug: Maybe you will have false alarms, but perhaps Thimble will help you reunite another cat with their worried slave, or maybe get a stray neutered and parasite-free. I firmly believe something good ALWAYS comes out of something bad.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 18:27:53 PM »
Personally I would skip the wedding. A good friend would understand. I'm sure you will only worry anyway.
I will if I need to. I can't stop doing everything while thimble is lost as we have plans with my parents and brother also this weekend,  but if we get her back I certainly won't be leaving her overnight straight away! If she's not back I'll only stay here brooding all weekend which is no good is it?

If its of any help, I can lend you our trap.
Would you be allowed on site during the evening? Perhaps we could have a trapping evening....

I doubt they'll let me there in the evening, but if we have problems seeing the cat again tomorrow I may need to try the trap! It must be a stray I would think, even if it's not Thims.

The man said today it looks young too. and it's been coming for  a couple of weeks. There's so many cats about though, I don't want to be TOO hopeful!

xx [/color]

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 17:45:57 PM »
Personally I would skip the wedding. A good friend would understand. I'm sure you will only worry anyway.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 17:37:53 PM »
If its of any help, I can lend you our trap.
Would you be allowed onsite during the evening? Perhaps we could have a trapping evening....

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 17:24:03 PM »
I won't be able to sleep until my OH gets back from work at 12.45am. 

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 17:21:33 PM »
Dont have a late night and get down there early!

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
Re: Thimble update AGGHHHH!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 17:10:23 PM »
Frustrating!! Scaffold called so I dropped everything and sped out the door, it's about 5/10 mins walk up the road. Boyfriend sis at work so just me. Got there and they were driving the trucks into the yard, NOT helpful!

I think whatever cat that had been there was scared off...! So frustrating! I looked round calling and shaking treats but it was no good as the men were waiting to lock up and kicked me out eventually. no cat. So hope is still alive but this didn't stop me standing at the side of the road crying  :'(

It's a lonely time as I have no-one I know in Coventry apart from my boyfriend who's at work until 12.30am  :(

So I'll have to try and get down there early tomorrow, which after a late night won't be fun! Or maybe I should wait for him to call again. I don't know. any suggestions if a cat is spotted like this? I'm away from Friday to Sunday so I really want to see if it's her before then! If it is...well let's cross that bridge if I come to it, I would happily miss my friend's wedding if it meant having thimble home!  Let 's just hope I get to see this cat at some point!

xx

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 16:11:39 PM »
i had one that went missing for 6 or 7 weeks then just turned up as though nothing had happened so don't be too dispondent.

if she has gone out of the area, then it could be even longer before someone decides to check for a chip. :hug:

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 15:17:23 PM »
Thanks for all the good wishes and finger crossing. No call from Scaffold man. Went for a walk to the cemetery near the scaffold place earlier, there's a massive patch of wasteland which is all fenced off and you're not allowed onto it, this is behind the scaffolding place, so the cat visiting him probably hangs out here too. But that's not terribly helpful!

It's mine and my partner's one year anniversary since we met in real life today :-) I was really hoping for a wonderful Thimble shaped present, but no sign yet. <sigh> The ad goes in the paper again tomorrow until Friday so maybe that'll guilt someone who has her into giving her back. Who knows

I'm sure everyone I speak to thinks I'm mad still looking as it's been two weeks now (well will be at 6.30pm) since we saw her, but she must be somewhere, or something happened, and someone knows. so I shan't give up!!

xx

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 20:50:58 PM »
 :hug: Fingers crossed ere too hun.

Link to CatChat