Author Topic: Thimble update  (Read 10814 times)

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
  • looking for my sweet kitten Thimble always
  • Slave to: Bubble and Squeak
Re: Thimble update
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »
Well the weather needs to warm up then. as I don't have access to the scaffolding yard at night to check on a trap <sigh>

Going to try and start feeding the cat in the shed, leaving food every morning. Then maybe it'll warm enough for a trap or I can set it in the day and revisit regularly.

B :Luv2:
xx
Please help me find my best friend Thimble, missing in Coventry 19.10.10

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2010, 16:28:36 PM »
 Trap is a good idea but with the weather conditions it can't be set and left it would need to be checked on very regularly I have given mine a miss as they  are burried under snow!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2010, 16:24:28 PM »
 So sorry that Thimble isn't back yet.  :hug:

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2010, 14:11:03 PM »
thanks for all the positivity.

latest today is the scaffold cat is back! had a call from a lady saying she saw the cat go in there again and spoke to the man who works there and he is convinced it's Thimble (as they always are..) So I went down there. Saw paw prints in the snow. They said it's living in the shed. I stayed an hour...had treats I put down. tried calling and being just still and quiet but no sign. and an hour was pretty much my max in this weather...

think i might need to try and get cat trap and see if we can catch it, as I'm never going to get to even see it otherwise!  :Crazy:

xx

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2010, 15:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I've been re-ringing the rescue centre places, although most seem to say they don't take lost cats off the record. no harm in a reminder though. I also keep replacing the posters and still have an ad in the paper.

I am not giving up. It is hard though, I keep looking so longingly at cats I see, especially ones needing rehoming online. I just want thimble more than anything. But I just worry we'll never ever know what happened. :-/

And we only rent so when it comes to moving sometime next year (probably) it'll be awful if she isn't found by then, as then she'll have no chance, as we won't be here anymore :-(

I just know someone must know where she is or what's happened to her!!

x

Is always better to keep phoning to remind them as it could slip their mind or some one else takes over the lost and found reports or even if it is several that do it, then one could know and the others not without looking.  Also you get loads of phone calls a week about missing or found cats so one could always be forgotten about or if months down the line may not be checked on unless they are sorted in breed, markings, colour, location lost, etc.  I used to go by colour so if someone reported a tabby found I would check Tabby cats and Tortie cats, yes I have had a vet tell me a Tortie is a Tabby before, oh and used to sub divide colours into male and female for lost.  I also used to use an index card system rather than just loads of paper or a book and that way it was easier to find a possible match.

So do keep phoning the rescues as it also lets them know that the cat is still missing as well as jogging their memory, I would always appreciate a reminder from an owner and sometimes the owner would remember something which they forgot or in the case of colour of collar realised that they had just put a new one on before it went missing, which they forgot about in the panic of realising their cat was missing.  A lot of people do actually get mixed up between Tabby and Tortie and then with the tortie you have Brindle tortie as well as the more recognisable blobs of colour tortie.  Cats can wander upto a 10 mile radius of home and can get lost if fleeing a sudden noise or being chased by a dog so it is always worth going a bit further with the fliers.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2010, 00:59:20 AM »
Thanks guys. I've been re-ringing the rescue centre places, although most seem to say they don't take lost cats off the record. no harm in a reminder though. I also keep replacing the posters and still have an ad in the paper.

I am not giving up. It is hard though, I keep looking so longingly at cats I see, especially ones needing rehoming online. I just want thimble more than anything. But I just worry we'll never ever know what happened. :-/

And we only rent so when it comes to moving sometime next year (probably) it'll be awful if she isn't found by then, as then she'll have no chance, as we won't be here anymore :-(

x

:hug: Try not to think of a negative future, that is how depression thinks.  :hug:  On the offchance Thimble is not back you can leave your new address with the landlord, neighbours and new tenants. Update any online adverts, social networking sites and the microchip listing; you can maintain old e-mail addresses and mobile numbers with PAYG. People are super easy to find these days, I got a lovely e-mail from an old friend today despite not using my real life name or e-mail address online/ setting everything to private! Cats have been reported in the press or on Purrs as being found months and even years later.  :hug: Thimble is one lucky puss-cat to have you to come home to.  :hug:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:04:56 AM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2010, 00:49:53 AM »
 :hug: :hug:

You are doing everything you can...COME HOME THIMBLE xxx
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2010, 02:50:50 AM »
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2010, 14:29:39 PM »
 :hug:

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »

x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2010, 20:16:27 PM »
Do not give up hope until its proved one way or another  :hug: :hug:

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2010, 19:40:55 PM »
Becka it is never futile as it has been known months later that cats have been reunited with their owner, so don't give up hope on her.  Keep reminding the rescues that she is still missing as well on at least a weekly basis and try and get the direct number to the lost and found officer at Cats Protection and then she may tell you of any possible sitings when you ring up each week.

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2010, 19:06:21 PM »
Had a call from the lady at number 14 after I wrote to her and it's not thimble. She sent a photo. There are two seemingly wild young cats who visit her garden for food. I have tried to explain that she must try and get the cats caught and neutered and vaccinated. She says she will but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll leave it a while and then check with her. I hope she does.

Also a man rang from down the next road about a cat in his garden, also wasn't Thimble, as he texted a photo.

Sigh.

I don't want to lose hope, and we still keep the posters updated and the ad is in the papaer again this week but it does feel like it's getting futile now.. :-(

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2010, 21:34:08 PM »
It would be wonderful if it was Thimble  :hug:

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2010, 19:04:35 PM »
That is disgusting that she did that in front of children let alone that she did that at all.

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2010, 18:48:29 PM »
okay so latest update:

Had two calls this week and photos sent and neither were her. one was pretty close so at least some people know what a tortie is  :evillaugh: Also had a false alarm about what turned out to be a b&w cat.

Apparently there's a cat hanging around a cul de sac nearish us and two neighbours of number 14 have said the cat looks like thimble and that number 14 are feeding it. It hangs around their gardens so we can't go and look for it because it's at the back of their houses where there's no access apart from through theiur houses. The lady who's been feeding it wasn't in and she hasn't herself called. Which leads me to think one of two things, she doesn't think it looks anything like her, or she doesn't want to tell us as she wants the cat to be hers.  the neighbours have all promised to call next time they see it.

Now we went round and knocked on all the doors in the cul de sac and put posters up and fliers in that road and next one. And one old woman was AWFUL! she said NO! loudly when i tried to give her a flier. So i posted it anyway as i thought maybe she didn't understand. She then stormed out the house screwed it up and threw it in my face, shouting "I don't care about your cat..!" Now bear in mind I had two young children with me (step kids 5 & 7) this was astonishing behaviour! the girls were quite scared! I couldn't help but shout something back... probably just as well the kids were there really! I just said "I hope something horrible happens to something you love..." I know this wasn't particularly nice of me but she was REALLY rude and nasty. believe me that was restrained...

So. this is vaguely promising. i thought I might call on number 14 again and if not in leave a note with a photo of thimble asking them to call me if the cat they've been feeding is her. It's tricky. The neighbours said it could be her, but who knows.

Anyway all these calls although mostly false alarms have made me reaslie we need to make sure all the posters are checked regularly and replaced and another newspaper ad is called for i think.

This week will be a month isnce she disappeared so I think we have to put my insurance claim in for the adverts and posters etc. It's not about the money at all but we're pretty skint so I need to claim something!

the hope goes on..... :'(

xx

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2010, 11:04:17 AM »
Hugs to you Becka

You sound like your doing everything you can.

I am the local Petsearch Lost and Found volunteer and I hate it when peoples cats go missing for a long period of time. I always feel so helpless.

Good luck...I hope Thimble returns safe and sound very soon xxx
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2010, 06:55:33 AM »

Good for yuo Becka.  A good way of making new friends and learning more about where you're living now.  And a hug for you  :hug:

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2010, 00:24:36 AM »
Thanks guys.

It's been a horrid day. Hope I have a better day coping tomorrow. I miss her so much it hurts.  :'( :'( :'(

and thanks, yes that reminds me I WAS GOING TO JOIN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH  :P

xx

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2010, 00:20:05 AM »
Is there a resident's association or a neighbourhood watch scheme or do the council hold neighbourhood forums? These events can be friend-making opportunities as well as increasing your Thimble spotting army.  :sneaky:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2010, 21:34:58 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2010, 20:52:53 PM »
wish i could give you a big hug becka x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2010, 19:21:20 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2010, 18:56:23 PM »
having a sad day today. It's een exactly 3 weeks now, almost to the minute <sigh> I miss my little Thimble so much, I just want her home  :( :( :( :(

Also had sad news yesterday my partner's grandma passed away. I'm so sick of sad news. I just want something happy again.

sorry for miserable post, some days are harder than others.

xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »

No, you can't put your life on hold, Becka.  I think most of us know, in the same situation, we'd all have cancelled if our missing cat had returned home.   :hug: :hug:

I'm one of those who wouldn't let a stranger into my home save for exceptional circumstances, and I think it's nice that the guy got in touch, whatever the motivation.    I doubt either him or his wife are really bad - just cautious. 

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2010, 20:19:24 PM »
so... been away this weekend as had family things arranged and a wedding back in my old home town Reading. Have had a few Thimble calls over the weekend, three have turned out to be definitely not her, and two were only brief sightings and no pics so will chase them up tomorrow.

It made me feel guilty being away when people called but we'd already booked everything (two hotels) and arranged to see people and I suppose my life can't be put on permanent hold. Maybe some of you won't agree with this, and if she'd been just come back before we went I would have cancelled, not left her here alone but I need to get a balance of searching and still working/seeing people. My work has really suffered already and I'm in danger of getting into trouble so it's a tricky time. Sadly not everyone understands how upsetting and stressful losing a cat is.

So we'll be checking on our posters tomorrow and visiting the two areas a cat was sighted and making sure there's posters there. One very positive call today, it wasn't thimble, but the family had looked after a stray and even had it spayed, I was pleased someone was being so responsible!

I also had a call from the evil house where the woman was really rude. the husband rang to say he thought he's seen Thimble, but then popped round to the flat (we weren't in ) and saw her photo on our door and realised it wasn't her. But I imagine he felt guilty his wife was so unhelpful! ha! Also another neighbour I wrote a note to rang to say she double checked her garage and there was definitely no cat. Reassured me at least.

So my hope continues, still getting calls so I think I shall repeat the newspaper adverts again as they seem to attract attention at least, as we can't put posters on EVERY corner!

xx

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2010, 20:18:57 PM »
Topping up the positive "come home Thimble" vibes and hugs

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2010, 19:59:13 PM »
so... been out knocking again. managed to get into two more gardens/sheds. no luck. spoke to a few more people. one said she'd not been i garage in over  a month and two others insisted they'd checked and checked themselves. One thought I was accusing him of hiding my cat in his shed!!

Some people won't let strangers in their house and that's the bottomline. Maybe if you live in a cosy little village they do but not here! At least I've reawakened people's interest and they'll look out for thimble again.

The ones that wouldn't answer I have posted personal handwritten notes begging them to check sheds or garages etc.

I may not have checked them all, but i feel like I've achieved something anyway...! I've certainly established myslef  as the mad cat woman of my street!

STILL nor scaffold man call today grrrrrr Will chase him uo tomorrow and maybe send my boyf down there when i'm working as he's off tomorrow.

xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2010, 18:56:23 PM »
I hadn't thought of that. I am very icy with people if I am doing something and have to stop what I am doing to to run up or downstairs to answer the door.  :shy: - often, I don't even answer it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2010, 18:28:31 PM »
Having experienced similar when our cat went missing (not Paddy) I just wanted to say, don't be too put off by neighbours' reactions - sometimes - especially these days - people are just wary of folk they don't know knocking on the door. 

I was going to say the same Sue, they might be suspicious of a 'stranger' coming to the door asking to go in their shed. A polite (and bite your tongue apologetic  ;)) note through their door might a) put their mind at rest that you're not a crook and b) make them realise they've been a bit unreasonable  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2010, 18:16:22 PM »

Having experienced similar when our cat went missing (not Paddy) I just wanted to say, don't be too put off by neighbours' reactions - sometimes - especially these days - people are just wary of folk they don't know knocking on the door.   Frankly, I don't answer our front door unless I can tell it's one of our neighbours - usually because it's either someone trying to sign you up to a charity, flogging energy deals or wanting to clean out your guttering (at a price!) that sort of thing.

If you pop a note through it can't do any harm.   :hug: 

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2010, 17:36:05 PM »
Been trying to think of a plan for the totally unreasonable lady as she was quite rude and we were really persuaive and polite. Am going to write a little note and put it through. Apologising if I bothered earlier (i'm not really sorry...) and could she please please check. will play the guilt card. It's all I can do. She was really unreasonable.

Typically the nice neighbours we could possibly make friends with are moving next week. bah.

I also have the ones who didn't answer to knock on later. Not looking forward to it really as it seems people just aren't that friendly round here!

Thanks for all the support as usual guys. At leats i know I'm doing EVERYTHING I can think of. I can't control what others do.

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2010, 17:30:21 PM »
One part of me is very shocked at the total refusal to check sheds but the other just throws up hands and sayd  :censored: neighbours.

The one thays been away should definately check cos cats can squeeze themselves through some very small gaps.

You are covering all the bases and do hope she just strolls in  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2010, 14:51:23 PM »
I don't want to frighten you, but the shed/garage thing is quite common. Cats are nosey  :shy: - I remember a case where a cat survived 6 weeks by eating insects and licking condensation. I know some people are nasty & unhelpful, but I would really push the issue and plead with them to humour you.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2010, 14:50:02 PM »

Also, have you tried the local vets?

p.s. have tried all vets local to us, she's on their lost registers and most have posters up. thanks
also tried PDSA, RSPC, cats protection, coventry cats, cats in need, cat action trust, council, blue cross , about 25 websites.... you get the picture!

xx

Would also report to all vets and rescues in the Coventry area as if some one has seen her injured may have taken to the nearest vet to them or their own vets, even vets that are a few miles out of Coventry as well to be on the safe side.

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2010, 14:36:16 PM »

p.s. have tried all vets local to us, she's on their lost registers and most have posters up. thanks
also tried PDSA, RSPC, cats protection, coventry cats, cats in need, cat action trust, council, blue cross , about 25 websites.... you get the picture!

xx

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2010, 13:53:12 PM »
Thanks, will check forum out. I'm going to post something on the off topic board on the skyblues one as well (Coventry City football club)

So.,.. we went round neighbours to check sheds and you'd be shocked at the general response I think. Only ONE person let us in, they didn't even have a shed but said their neighbours do and the other side had decking which we tried to see underneath. Will call back on both those sides later as out.

One woman shrugged us off saying she'd checked. One other lady I chatted to for a while and insisted she'd checked every nook in the shed and I believe her as she has a cat herself and seemed genuine. However, one lady blatantly refused, saying they'd been on holiday so it's nothing to do with them, this was throw a window as she wouldn't come to the door! She wasn't old or anything, just an average woman, who refused to check her shed or let us do so. unbelievable that people can be so rude  :-:

We did meet some lovely people, in fact it was the woman who saw a cat loose in a car just after thimble went missing. She remembers nothing more but it's always at the back of my mind... They let us check their garden, and had 3 lovely dogs themselves.

So my faith in humanity was slightly restored by those people but generally has taken a knock. People are so afraid, it's as if we live in the bronx! <sigh>

No call from scaffold man as yet either.

xx

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »
How about this forum: http://www.warwickshireonline.com/forum/coventry/? It doesn't look particularly busy but you could post something on there.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:15:42 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline beckamsimmons

• Adult Cat
!
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2010, 11:38:08 AM »

Does your local area have an internet forum? If so, it would be worth posting on there. The area I used to live in (in south London) had a very busy forum and there were often posts by people who'd found cats and were trying to trace their owners.

Thanks, I have posted on the local papers forum for Coventry, i couldn't find anything else. I'm glad you think I'm doing a lot it feels like I can't do enough in many ways, I feel so helpless!

xx

Link to CatChat