Author Topic: very sad morning  (Read 10320 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: very sad morning
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2007, 10:26:13 AM »
Also, I was under the impression that cats could outrun and outclimb a dog, so get away

If that were the case so many more cats lives would be saved. (don't know about the outclimb bit though)
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »
On the subject of dogs - I dont agree with muzzling them in their own garden, it actually does seem unfair on the dog. I'm a bit unsure on aggressive dogs - I dont think you can say that as a dog has gone for a cat, it will go for a child, i do believe they see them completely differently - my neighbours aggressive dog only went for adults, and mainly if they had fluorescent jackets on, he could be trusted with everything else.
As for bringing them home etc - the first two of mine were brought home, one is buried on the street she lived most of her life on, I think the neighbour bought a special plant to go over her grave, and Tig is buried in my 'mud patch (we dont have true gardens, so nothing else has been able to come home with me) - a neighbour offered to knock it down for me a couple of weeks ago, and had to say no cos of her. As Ginger went suddenly, he was taken to my parents allotments, as that is the area he spent most of his life. I can't get my head round cremation and having ashes back (although that happened with teh foster who died, he is in the CP's rememberance garden), so I leave mine at the vets.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2007, 09:15:46 AM »
My passed over pussies are all in my garden. I imagine that each full moon, they play and pounce on mice together in the moonlight.

If I have to have another pts, I'll phone the vet and check that I can take my cat home. If not, I'll try another vet.

Some people teach dogs to chase cats, especially proud gardeners. I used to tell my mum off for this. She taught her poodle to bark at cats. But the dog was no bigger that most cats and frightened of them. Also, I was under the impression that cats could outrun and outclimb a dog, so get away, unless it was chased by more that one dog and cornered.

What a sad thread this is.  :'(

:welcome: FURRY-WEEBLES, do you really look like Brad Pitt!  :blow kiss:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2007, 15:26:29 PM »
I don't have Magpie's ashes or body but I do still have conversations with him so I guess I must be mad too!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2007, 15:23:32 PM »
we have two of ours buried in the garden and I talk to them all the time does this make me senile ......................no need to answer I already know

I do the same !!!

My neighbour must think i'm mad when i am out there tending their graves and chatting to them   :rofl:

fuzziesdad

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2007, 15:19:25 PM »
Foreve don't read any further.

she spoke to the body as she would have had the person

My friend is an undertaker and she does the same.
we have two of ours buried in the garden and I talk to them all the time does this make me senile ......................no need to answer I already know

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
You just reminded me Dawn, I need to get a new profile pic with Charlie in it aswell! hahah

xxx

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »
Dawn, I always imagined it would be hard too, but I suppose it depends on circumstances etc.
I know I have a lot ahead of me, and it will be very challenging though.

It is nice to know though that you are repected and your dignity is kept until the very end :)

S x

:luck: with your training, nursing must be so rewarding.

I love your kitties by the way Sarah, their little faces in your profile picture  :Luv:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Super Cat
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2007, 09:42:36 AM »
Dawn, I always imagined it would be hard too, but I suppose it depends on circumstances etc.
I know I have a lot ahead of me, and it will be very challenging though.

It is nice to know though that you are repected and your dignity is kept until the very end :)

S x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2007, 09:36:46 AM »
What is a bonus is the fact that she is a great cat and dog lover and has completely enclosed her huge garden to make a pet haven.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:04:22 PM by Ela »

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »
Thats really nice - I would like to think that people would show me respect when I pass over  ;D It must take a special kind of person to be able to do that for a job and not let their emotions get the better of them (and take the thoughts of the job home) I think.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:31:35 AM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2007, 09:08:42 AM »
Foreve don't read any further.

she spoke to the body as she would have had the person

My friend is an undertaker and she does the same.

• Super Cat
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2007, 08:55:16 AM »
Hi guys, just caught up on this thread.

It's terrible -  I think that any dog that is that aggressive should be PTS as it could just as easily have been a child - not that a cat is any less important in my eyes. I always assumed that nurses etc had hearts of stone but my nurse friend said she always cried when they lost a patient (she also used to tell the patient that they had passed over and not to be frightened!) .

Poor cats do get the short straw in life.

Mark I always thought that about nurses as well, (I'm a student nurse) but the first time that I had to assist to clean a body, it was actually really special. The nurse who I assisted was very professional, she spoke to the body as she would have had the person still been alive and after it I felt really sad, but the nurse taught me the proper way to act and to have absolute respect for a body.

Forever sorry if that was straying from your topic again.

I don't think that dogs should be pts over things like that either, such a sad story about the wee cat though :(

S x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2007, 07:49:53 AM »
Hi,no it' not against the law to take your pet from the vet after it died.
some vet would like people to think that but it's not true

It is not a vet thing it is a  Environmental thing and many Councils have that rule, however many vets would think like my quote below.

Offline Tracey

• Adult Cat
    • KatMaid
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2007, 06:34:54 AM »
hi and welcome to the forum and I'm glad you have said that as I have two of ours buried in our garden and any other will be buried there too.

Same here. I have 2 buried in my garden, 1 is Molly who died over night at the vets. I bought her home without questions asked, and said goodbye and buried her.
KatMaid..Staffordshire cat sitter
www.katmaid.co.uk

fuzziesdad

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2007, 23:19:38 PM »

hi and welcome to the forum and I'm glad you have said that as I have two of ours buried in our garden and any other will be buried there too.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2007, 22:31:34 PM »
LOL Lynn

When typing highlight the word and then click the button with a green G

Offline FURRY-WEEBLES

• Kitten
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2007, 22:30:21 PM »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2007, 22:19:38 PM »
how did you manage to do that with the red bit LOL..i only just worked out how to do the quotes up in blue  :rofl:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2007, 22:19:00 PM »
Sorry peeps but it is seen to be rude and shouting in capital letters, could ya take your caps lock off please. Thanks.  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 22:23:12 PM by Tan »

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2007, 21:06:16 PM »
However, because it is MY PERSONAL opinion it does mean its wrong!

THAT SHOULD READ "DOESNT"

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2007, 20:37:57 PM »
My dog is great with my 4 cats luckily and he never chases other cats that are in the garden, he is a 40kg Rottie/Alsation cross. However, if he was aggresive towards cats or any other animal I would not leave him outside unsupervised because I would not be able to live with myself if he killed someone elses cat, I am not going to go into details but I have seen a cat killed by a dog, it is something that will always haunt me.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2007, 20:06:32 PM »
(( Dawn )) i am so sorry that you have lost 2 babies, i cannot begin to imagine how it must feel. xxxx

Lisa, Firstly i am sorry that your kitten died in that way and so i can understand why you attacked me over MY opinion
However, because it is MY PERSONAL opinion it does mean its wrong!
I also cannot agree with dogs being muzzled in their own gardens and as i have said if one of my cats goes into my neighbours garden and is attacked by her dog i wouldnt blame her or the dog.

I personaly dont let my cats out until they are at least a year old, i feel that at a younger age they are still babies  they dont stand a chance in the big wide world !!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2007, 18:34:34 PM »
I'm glad you took him home as i would think it must be alot more comforting having a few hours or day etc to sit and cuddle and "chat" and not have the constraints of a veterinary surgery around you.  I'm lucky ive not had to lose an animal of my own at a surgery but if i did i think i'd do the same as you.
Ive mentioned before they say it is a very good idea to allow the animals you still have to be in the same room as the passed ones as they then understand.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2007, 18:22:38 PM »
Just a reminder to play nicely please, peeps  ;D

I brought Magpie home from the vets after he died but I did take him back the next day for cremation.  At first I just intended to bring him home for a short while so that Jaffa could see his body but I ended up keeping him at home all day and found it very comforting to be able to say goodbye to him properly and spend some time with him at home.  His last hours at the vets weren't nice as he was in an incubator hooked up to allsorts and obviously distressed so it was nice for my final memories of him to be of him at peace.

I was asked what I wanted to do with his body and given all the options, including private cremation.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2007, 18:21:16 PM »
yes you need to be very clear and also the vets should be very clear in their questioning..if a body goes for general cremation then its not an individual service and you will not get ashes back..specifying private crem and paying the extra is the only way to gaurantee your pet gets done separately and you get THEIR ashes back.
We are lucky in aberdeen the man who does the private small animal crems is one of the lovliest nicest humans your ever likely to meet and is just purrfect for the job..he has such a gentle soft manner and in actual fact started his business after his own boxer was killed by a refuse lorry years ago and he realised he couldnt get his beloved pet cremated separetly.

fuzziesdad

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2007, 18:16:54 PM »
there was a discussion about this on an Irish forum and apparently over there it is illegal to bury animals.
on the crematorium bit when they are left at the vets to be cremated they go to a large crematorium there is one in Cambrdge(the place was massive and resembled something from a si-fi movie,not a place I would want to visit again) where I remember going to collect a cat with a lady who had seen a programme on TV about it and it showed them cremating all the animals together and she wanted her cat done seperately so its always best to ask.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2007, 16:17:10 PM »
yes although our local private pet crem cant accomodate that size the bigger one at the scottish argicultural college can (you can use them for normal cat/dog private crem too where you get their ashes back and also they are the ones that did our "general cremations" where the owners did not want bodies or ashes back so lots of bodies done together) 
I cant remember the cost but its quite hefty for a very large horse...my friend lost her 16hh thoroghbred last year at the grand old age of 36 and she "broke the law" by getting him buried in one of her paddocks.  I did suggest she get half a ton of lime on top but i dont think she took my advice.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2007, 16:10:02 PM »
We have a horse crematorium near here.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2007, 16:07:45 PM »
but surely there is a difference between "not liking" and a specific law that they could enforce ?
that sounds pretty much what it used to be here altho when i probed further there wasnt any proper legislation.  Maybe scotland is abit more relaxed though although we have had big shake ups on the disposal of large animals which includes horses pet goats /sheep etc which you can imagine affects a fair few folk in the country.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2007, 15:55:09 PM »
Ela it is definately not illegal to take your pets body home although there used to be some discrepancy on the burying of the body in council property but the council never did anything about it

Have rung a vet and apparently the Environmental Health office of  many Councils in England do not like people to bury their pets in gardens  and if a vets practice is in  such a councils area they should not give back pets they have PTS at the surgery, (of course we know most do), the exception could be if someone says they want to take the cat for private cremation at a different crematorium to the one the vet uses.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2007, 15:49:03 PM »
WHICH WAS FOR" NON" CAT RELATED SUBJECTS
RIGHT OR WRONG ?

MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK SORRY  ;D
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2007, 15:46:38 PM »
no need for the caps lock.  Yes you did but it was still on a cat forum lol.

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2007, 15:45:46 PM »
BECAUSE ................I POSTED THAT IN NON CAT DISCUSSION REMEMBER ??????????????

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2007, 15:44:54 PM »
you didnt think of that when posting about your family and nephew etc ?

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2007, 15:43:33 PM »
BECAUSE THIS IS A CAT FORUM MAYBE

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2007, 15:42:40 PM »
why is it you can talk about dead animals but not people forever ?

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2007, 15:41:52 PM »
Ela : i did not bring up the subject of dead people or children thank u very much ok
id not dream of it i have respect for the dead
let them rip ffs

• Super Cat
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2007, 15:40:46 PM »
which is wat im saying !!!!!!!!!!!
its a very sad thing to talk about its very upsetting

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2007, 15:40:19 PM »
can we try and keep to the subject

I don't wish to be rude but it was you who brought up the subject in the first place. As you know topics then go on and  more things are added,  but people are talking about the same subject.

Link to CatChat