Author Topic: Ideas on how to give Ollie his tablets - Help an Ideas please Epeleptic  (Read 6492 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Ideas on how to give Ollie his tablets - Help an Ideas please
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 19:51:52 PM »
Here's my tips from the top, they worked for literally thousands of tablets with Tiggy....

I have an addition to the list which I discovered when Riley had a diaorrhea and had to take Metronidazole which had been broken into quarters exposing their bitterness, he refused any of the below as he could obviously still smell/taste the tablet so I discovered Webbox treats.  They're stick treats but quite maleable so I cut a piece off and moulded it round the tablet.

For the last two years when she was having 5 tablets a day my main methods were 1 & 2 below (with no 2 being less sticky!), if she were feeling off colour I had to resort to one of the other methods.  One of the tablets she had was Fortekor (for CRF not heart failure) so the tips definitely work with that shape/size of tablet.

1) Primula Cheese in a tube (Chs, Chs & Ham, Chs & Prawn but NOT chs & chive), also works with Dairylea triangles, laughing cow etc, just cut a small chunk off..  Place tablet on finger, squirt a blob of Primula on, Tiggy licked it off, tablet and all. 

2) De-furrum treats (available from places like Pets at Home, Jollyes etc) they are designed for hairballs.  When snapped in half there is a gooey mix which holds the tablet perfectly when you poke it in.  Tiggy loved these and hoovered them up.

3) Wafer thin ham (Bernard Matthews is best as is nice and moist and sticks to itself when folded over).  Wrap tablet in small parcel and hand feed, the tablet may fall out the first time so I roll up in another piece and keep going.  Wafer thin Beef or Chicken is also effective.

4) Cheddar Cheese, experiment with varieties but the moister the better. Shave of a thinnish layer and squish around the tablet.

5) Chicken breast, don't overcook, needs to be nice and moist.  Shave a thinnish layer and again squish around tablet.

6) Tuna, squeeze most of the juiceout and squish around tablet.

7) For powdered meds: Beef sandwich paste (check ingredients NO onion or garlic) mix with a little hot water to make a yummy beefy paste.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 19:45:01 PM »
If they have to be kept whole like thyroid meds Webbox usually works for mine or mixed in their favourite pate type foods or strong tasting foods.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 19:44:36 PM »
I use Dairylea, but not straight from the fridge.

hth
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
Ideas on how to give Ollie his tablets - Help an Ideas please Epeleptic
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 19:41:36 PM »
Ollie has been on tablets and up until today he has been taking them relatively ok

Anyone got any great ideas on giving tablets as no he is not for swallowing them

Ollie and Tyler share a dinner bowl so cant put them in his food.

Any wonderful ideal welcome. Thought mabey giving hi a we extra treat of sometrhing nice with them hidden inside

Zoe xx
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 20:45:18 PM by puggy1975 »
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Link to CatChat