Author Topic: What has happened on Purrs ? - also vibes needed  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: What has happened on Purrs ? - also vibes needed
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2009, 21:58:29 PM »
I hadnt had time to snore this was before I got to sleep and its hard ducking and diving between two birmans.........sigh

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2009, 04:32:40 AM »
Franta was just checking that you were his real meowmy and you had'nt turned into a snorey monster!  :evillaugh: :hug:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:33:04 AM by Bazsmum »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2009, 22:48:27 PM »
Yes I know you are right but getting puched on one side and bitten.....he chases my nose around and then kicked on the other and nipped........sigh

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2009, 19:14:26 PM »
Ah but only coz he loves you Gill! :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2009, 18:15:20 PM »
thats what ranta does to me at night  :innocent:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2009, 18:07:19 PM »
I love that little boxing cat animation.   :Luv2:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2009, 15:55:48 PM »
Mary your so....  :bum:  :heeee heeee: :grouphug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2009, 15:50:33 PM »
Stick 'em up  :boxer: :boxer: :box: :box:

:rofl: :rofl: :lick: :catlove:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2009, 13:38:00 PM »
seems to me what we all have in common on Purrs is far more important than any differences we may have from time to time

and at least no-one comes on here spoiling for a fight (or if they do they are soon modded off ;D)

and there's not many forums you can say that about
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2009, 13:21:54 PM »
I love Purrs , I love Purrs people (yes all of them , even If I haven't managed to speak to ya all yet!) and if I could I'd be on here all the time. I mod on other forums and this is by far the best I come on. Nuff said I thinks!

Awww, that's really nice! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2009, 12:52:38 PM »
Kirst  :hug:

thank you  :shy:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
I love Purrs , I love Purrs people (yes all of them , even If I haven't managed to speak to ya all yet!) and if I could I'd be on here all the time. I mod on other forums and this is by far the best I come on. Nuff said I thinks!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2009, 08:59:51 AM »
I sometimes don't come on for a few days and the number of posts that have been on in those few days is amazing.

Mary

Quite agree, Mary!!  When my computer was "dead" I was very lucky to be "kept in touch" my friends who texted me ....  but I couldnt keep in touch as I would with everything up and running.

And when I "came back" - I thought I would never catch up ....  in just over a week  ;)
People Power Works!!!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 22:28:36 PM »
I don't think that people are clicky but I can understand why some people would choose to use that word.

My opinion is that certain people like to go on the same parts of Purrs and get to know the likes and dislikes of each other and then when something is mentioned in another area and you know something about that person the subject sometimes gets sidetracked.

I didn't go on the part where you can speak about things apart from cats for a long time.  However, I sometimes take a look and if I want to join in on a topic I will.  I found it helpful putting a post on their about my mum having Alzhimer's and another about me having cateracts.

I also sometimes visit the joke section if I need a laugh or I have a good joke to share with someone.

Members also get to know each other more closely by lettting their cats talk on the 'from the cat's mouth' section :rofl: :rofl:

Sometimes people are too busy to put a reply on every post and it might seem like you are being ignored but you aren't. I sometimes don't come on for a few days and the number of posts that have been on in those few days is amazing.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2009, 16:08:15 PM »
for the last year or so I moderated an Italian cat forum, and from the experience there I must say Purrs is an extremely pacifist, educated, and friendly community.  People on the other forum were just as passionate, perhaps a bit too much so claws and furs were ever ready to start flying as soon as someone said something not exactly to their liking.  I must say it is also a bit due to the general nature of the Italian folks, but things are too often out of control and especially for me not being a native speaker it became too much for me and I stepped down.  So I have now more time to come and visit here, and it is such a lovely relief to see everyone enjoying the site in such harmony.
Of course everyone must realise that with so many people sharing a community there will always be differences of opinion, and we must respect it and agree to disagree.  I think among all the forums I have known and frequented Purrs are one of the best about this.  :)

Offline Cat_Crazy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2009, 00:14:55 AM »
Well I have been here a few months now and have found Purrs a great place to hang out and exchange stories/advice on our furry kids. I have never felt left out or intimidated. I have enjoyed reading through the posts, hearing about everyones latest news, funny pics and goings on. Its true that there some people on here that are opinionated - but you will find that on all forums. It has been mentioned before, knowone knows everything, but I'm certain we can all contribute something!. Come on everyone, group  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2009, 22:55:46 PM »
Sorry you feel that way Elaine  :(.  Can't say I agree but then I'm on here every day.  Am hoping one day I'll get time off for good behaviour  ;)

Tried a day off once but developed a nervous tick  :evillaugh:

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2009, 22:47:14 PM »
As some one who hasnt posted here in a long time, thought I'd take the oportunity to say why.

My experience of forums is that they are ALL clicky to one degree or another.  When i have posted here in the past, there wasnt much interest taken in them, I expect that when forums are small and quiet but this is a large forum.  I also dont like to see rescues belittle and undermine other rescues.  Every one does their best.

I do come on at auction time and try to help raise a wee bit of cash to help out.  But thats about it from me as I dont find this a very friendly or welcoming place to be.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 18:34:00 PM »
Its sad to think purrs is classed as 'clicky' because someone doesnt know the ins and outs of every post, i spend a reasonable amount of reading time here and still dont understand every 'in joke' or every post, its not people being in a set crowd its down to how much time you have to spare to read everything!
As sites grow they will change, not always how we wish but thats life isnt it  :shy:

Teresa, im sorry to hear about Chilli, ferals are unique lovelies and deserve their limelight. I tried to find his thread but couldnt, im not great with the search engine here tho  :doh: like js i would love to hear about him

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 00:01:23 AM »
Although i dont post so much as others -i have received loads of support on here and its been so welcoming and good for me as i do live on my own and don''t really have anyone too confide in and no-one who is as cat mad as i am .
I have had moggies and presently have pedigrees -all have been rescues - i currently have a moggie "living " in Winstons old cat house - he gets regular meals from me and probably a good few others on here and he does have a home !
 He lives with 10 other cats and there are teenagers there too , so maybe he likes to sleep in there for the peace and quiet and also know that he gets fed here too !!!
I have had loads of support with Bunglys illness and Thankyou to everyone for this  and when i was at home at xmas with just me and my cats -although that is my own choice i had lovely messges from peeps on here .
Also "come home " Lou Lou Flump -your meowmy is worried and missing you - sending come home soon vibes for you .
It has been a very sad time on here too -there have been so many fur babies gone to the bridge and also ones that have been so very ill -its such a worrying time for a lot of us .

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 23:53:33 PM »
:hug: :hug: :hug: from everyone chez Casa Witty too.

Public forums can be a bit of a minefield at the best of times. When things get bigger (as Purrs has done) it's almost imPUSSable to keep track of absolutely everything that goes on - I like to think that we're still there for each other, though.

Purrs is............ Purrs.  :) And I'd be lost without my daily fix. :shy: Anyone for purringo? :shify:

Um, the auction. I'd better get busy making some things. :-[

(sending come home vibes to Loulou)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 21:57:19 PM »
I've always found this a very kind and supportive place. My only issue is the huge number of threads. I often get lost and confused as to what's happened to who! (I am very easily confused though  :rofl:)

I really enjoy reading about other peoples lives as cat slaves. Long may Purrs continue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 21:08:09 PM »
As one of the mods I'm really saddened to hear that members are not feeling welcome, are scared to post for fear of attack and are generally feeling intimidated by the whole thing.  :'(

One of the things that kept me coming back to Purrs in the earlier days was the general acceptance that everyone has their own opinions and views and the fact that NO-ONE was ever made to feel silly, initimidated or foolish for asking a question or posting an opinion.  None of us knows EVERYTHING but we all know a little bit and we should all be able to share our "little bit" with each other and hopefully gain a "little bit" with each visit.

If ANY member every feels they ... or anyone else ...is not being treated fairly PLEASE PLEASE report the thread.  The moderators are here for a reason and I know I for one will not tolerate any bullying / intimidation etc of any sort.

Sorry meant to say ..... COME ON Lou Lou Flump ..... get your furry butt home cuz mummy is missing you  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 22:02:40 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 20:50:03 PM »
I ain't changed - still as mouthy and daft as ever - I was very quiet and shy before I came on here.  :naughty: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Love, hugs and lots of healing vibes to anyone who needs them.  :hug:

LONG LIVE PURRS  :hug: :hug:

Mary and Bonnie xx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 20:45:41 PM »
I have to say that I have got 4 pedigree cats as well as my 2 moggies and I have never felt unwelcome because of this fact.  I have "lost" 3 cats to the Rainbow Bridge since being a member of Purrs and think I would have gone mad without the support I received.  When Charlie had his near fatal accident I didnt know where to turn but received so much reassurance from here that the help was invaluable.

I laugh along with the funny stories and cry for the sad losses. 

It saddens me that people dont feel welcome and there willl always be differences of opinion in every walk of life.

Big  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: to anyone feeling down and sad

Please come home Lou Lou xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 18:24:21 PM »
Yes we have raised a lot, Helen is right and this auction we aim to raise some moreeeeeeeeeeee  ;D ;D

Also members donations have helped special cats, not to mention the car relays that have saved cats lives too  ;D

And there is Truman, who we all fell for who is outliving any vet forcast with one of our members and so many other things which are hidden or even forgotten.

Then there are our wonderful rescues who do such great work and it goes on and on..........I think that Purrs is a wonderful forum and its up to each and every one of you to take part in our activities and become part of the crowd cos there is no need for anyone to feel left out.

Its you with the finger on the keyboard, nobody will do it for you  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 18:18:31 PM »
Sending hugs to anyone who is feeling upset or not involved  :hug:

I think you might have hit the nail on the head Angie - our lives outside do have impact

Thats very true, I'm not posting as much because of fitting in hospital visits to mum, plus my mind seems to have gone to mush lately, I couldnt remember my address the other day   :-[

Oh, and Loulou Flump, you better get home soon!  :)  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 18:13:03 PM »
Being a newbie myself, i have to say I have found this a very friendly and helpful forum. I do not post very much on any of the forums I am a member of which is only 3 but I always log on and read the posts and think about the people who are having problems or who have lost their beloved puds even if I don't leave a message.  :hug:

That's really nice to hear Alison  :) I don't really have time for other forums (as my addiction to this one runs too deep  :evillaugh:) but I do think from what I've seen of others Purrs really is a friendly place to be overall  :)

Not only that but the combined efforts of members has raised several thousand pounds for cat rescue - don't know the exact figure but what with three auctions at roughly 2k each, the Purrs draw giving £1500 to rescues, plus the photo shows, the Purrs shop, Zooplus commision etc that's got to be close to 10k raised for rescues  :wow: Edit: Just remembered the professionally printed calendars and diaries featuring our very own cats  - we've got to have smashed 10k easily  :wow: :wow: :wow:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 18:22:57 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 17:00:27 PM »
I think you might have hit the nail on the head Angie - our lives outside do have impact and times are hard for lots of people at the moment

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 16:58:45 PM »
Just to say I haven't really noticed much difference but then I'm not on as much as we have been so busy.
Perhaps a lot of the other regular rescue bods are feeling the same way? I know I tend to post when I feel relaxed and time spare (not that I'm feeling that at the moment! :() a shame as I have some lovely kitten piccies still sitting in my camera.....

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 16:41:48 PM »
I lurk on here often. I just don't feel comfortable enough to post on a frequent basis. I've seen people unfairly attacked on here for a number of reasons.

I hope this very discussion will encourage you - and others who may feel the same way - to join in more  :hug:  

Everyone should feel comfortable about speaking up and disagreements are fine: you can disagree completely with someone without attacking him or her as a person.  I know it can be a fine line as some people feel affronted when their views are challenged, but they shouldn't - debate is healthy.

If members do see spiteful personal attacks on other members, they should report them to the mod team  :boxer:.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 16:40:45 PM »
Burrowed out from under some paperwork and read this   :(

:hug: :hug: :hug: to all feeling sad, down, left out ..... 

:thanks: to the many, many people who have offered me friendship wise words, counselling etc since I joined.  There have been times when I don't know what I would have done without Purrs  :-[  And not just those who are frequent posters - someone who may have only posted once or twice may have posted just what I needed when I needed it most

and far from least, although last ...

COME HOME LOU LOU FLUMP - Mummy and Daddy miss you lots
People Power Works!!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 16:22:54 PM »
Anyway, my two pennies worth ;) Not that it will be worth that much, I suspect.

It's worth two pennies, same as anyone elses. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 16:22:18 PM »
Purrs is by far the friendliest place I've been a member of. Another site I'm a member of is not nice at the moment with a lot of disagreements. Weirdly it is the American (Animal related) sites that have the most arguements and fallouts - and boy do they get nasty :scared: I don't like some attitudes on other UK based sites, I find them to be unbearable, snooty and full of themselves, so I don't post.

I find that with a lot of other sites too, I find Purrs the most friendlist site that I use. I am a member of 2 other forums but dont post there as I dont like the way others are on those sites.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 16:09:25 PM »
I couldn't agree more Den  ;D

Nobody on here should feel unwelcome, everyone is a newbie to start with, you just need to take the step to get involved  ;D  Sure some of us post more than others (best not to look at the post counts ahem lol), but that's just because we've been here longer (and can sneak on in work time as well)  ;)

There are disagreements everywhere in life, so not a reason not to be involved to my mind - if that was the case you'd never leave the house or talk to anyone else  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 16:11:09 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 16:05:23 PM »
It's such a shame that people are finding Purrs to be an unpleasant place to be at the moment. I don't know why that is. Purrs has always been so friendly .. ok so there are disagreements, but that is perfectly normal on any site. You just pick yourself up, remember why it is you joined and continue as normal. Have to say I haven't noticed Purrs to be different to normal  :scared:

Purrs is by far the friendliest place I've been a member of. Another site I'm a member of is not nice at the moment with a lot of disagreements. Weirdly it is the American (Animal related) sites that have the most arguements and fallouts - and boy do they get nasty :scared: I don't like some attitudes on other UK based sites, I find them to be unbearable, snooty and full of themselves, so I don't post. I've never experienced that here (Yeah, there are some people with strong opinions  :innocent: but no-one means to cause offence or upset .. and believe me, on other sites I've seen some pretty nasty verbal insults and opinions).

I'm certainly greatful of Purrs and the members here .. y'all are really great, you know  :cuddle:

Those people who don't feel like they can post *ahem*  :poke: :thinknot: .. now get posting.

Anyone still upset ... take 3 steps back, grab a cat and give it a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuug!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 15:08:40 PM »
I've been a member here for quite some time now but barely post because its never felt that welcoming to me. I am on another cat forum and post there very frequently.

Its a shame because the other forum is USA based and I would really like to participate more in a UK-based forum, but there it is.

I lurk on here often. I just don't feel comfortable enough to post on a frequent basis. I've seen people unfairly attacked on here for a number of reasons. It always saddens me, for example, to see people with pedigree cats jumped on - I don't have a pedigree cat but I certainly don't condemn people that do!

Anyway, my two pennies worth ;) Not that it will be worth that much, I suspect.

Sending positive vibes for Lou Lou Flump.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 13:58:31 PM »
Daisy!!! Sending positive vibes for Lou lou Flump to get her butt back home now!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 13:38:35 PM »
I feel purrs has changed a little recently but not sure why, Ive noticed a few members have left over disagreements and that does seem sad. I must say that sometimes it can come across as a little bit clicky although I dint think its intentional its just some members have been on this forum since it began and inevitably have known each other a long time. I log on every day and still enjoy catching up and have had some excellent advice of others IE Delsey, I only reply to posts if I feel I can offer some advice. I have noticed alot of people join and seem to dissapear after a few weeks, not sure why. On the whole though it is a good forum and I would be lost without my daily fix ;D

Sending lots of positive vibes for Lou Lou Flump :hug:

Teresa I'm sorry I didn't post  :hug:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 13:28:16 PM »
Well I haven't been on here much over the past few months as I don't have internet access at home, but I haven't noticed a big change.   The atmosphere on here does fluctuate for various reasons, but it's inevitable that people leave, new people join and that the feel of the place evolves.  I think it is still a friendly and supportive site.  I've never been on a forum (as an active participant or casual bystander) where the feel of the place hasn't changed over time, and it's inevitable that some people may feel that it just isn't the same as it used to.  It's happened on every site I've ever been on.  I suppose it's up to all of us to make sure Purrs remains a friendly and welcoming place.  But it won't ever be like it used to be because nothing stays the same. 

Link to CatChat