Author Topic: Pet insurance, again..... sorry!  (Read 9063 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Pet insurance, again..... sorry!
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2009, 12:07:57 PM »
Hmmn, I think that's one to check with Axa themselves as although it sounds reasonable to me insurance companies can be very funny about these minor details when they're about to pay out thousands of pounds! It does say you need to be the owner and in the strictest sense you're not the owner, I guess it happens fairly regularly as animals aren't only adopted by married cohabiting couples so there's lots of animal step Mums and Dads out there  :evillaugh:

As for the premiums being different for males and females, that's fairly normal as different sexes are prone to different illnesses and it seems that they deem males to be more of a 'risk'.

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2009, 08:37:15 AM »
Sorry to bump up this thread but I didnt see the point in starting a new topic. I am about to insure my 2 cats with axa insurance. Insurance is a it of a mindfield for me! I am the one insuring them, and be paying the direct debits. So the policy will be in my name. But at the vets the cats are under my partners surname as we didnt live together when they were registered. Would this be a problem when making a claim if needing to? Also my quote for my 2 cats same age, came up higher for the male than the female is this normal?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2009, 10:39:26 AM »
I think they must be, I emailed them and they said they both went out on 17 March and I've still had nothing, anyway I've asked them to send them again, if I don't collect them they will be returned to sender anyway

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
Were the letters with insufficient postage from Axa Dawn?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2009, 23:26:30 PM »
I have had a very important letter missing from AXA and its never arrived....wonder if thats the reason!

MY claims docs never arrived but three lots arrived later with special delivery!

Think their mail out system isnt working and you need to report it and try to make sure they actually record what you said.

Best way I discovered, is to start by saying that you want to make an official complaint and through that I found that someone had not recorded that may claim forms had not been sent. The reason I say this is cos all axa numbers are the same, whether it be about a claim, complaint or want a claim form and for claims you get put through to a different number but everything else is just customer service, which is bloomin useless when you want to complain about customer service!!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2009, 21:27:57 PM »
And yes Rosella its came in at over £10 cheeper than quoated  :)

So pleased it was same for you CC  :).  BTW everyone, forgot to mention at the time (as preoccupied with Tom being ill) but pretty sure there was a 4 week time limit on claims for any special foods.  Otherwise think I'm right in saying a 6 month time limit on putting claims in.

I've not experienced any problems with Axa and insufficient postage Dawn  :shify:.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2009, 15:46:16 PM »
Hum it just came through the post, no problems but this is my acceptance form, not the actual insurance certificate. Which I could only guess would be hevier, a reason for the postage not being paid?  :-:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2009, 15:32:27 PM »
did they put the right postage on cc, I had two postcards through the door yesterday saying two letters had been held on to by the post office because the postage hadn't been paid - the two things from axa are the only thing I can think they might be   :-:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2009, 15:31:01 PM »
Ok thanks gals  :Luv:

Yes Gill I will remember  :evillaugh: once my OH has come home and shows me how to fill it in  :rofl:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »
I got my renewels yesterday and Memph is cheaper this year  :wow:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »
That is fine and normal, and better than some insurance policies - if i remember rightly, AXA pay for more special food than Sainsbury's did.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2009, 00:32:45 AM »
That stuff is standard cc and appears in all AXA policies. Other companies also have their version of it and as you can see from the list these are special things not standard vet care.

Dont for get to send the direct debit form back  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2009, 23:03:11 PM »
those limits will only apply to the specified treatments, and will not apply to mainstream veterinary treatment
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2009, 22:46:23 PM »
Right I have recieved my forms to fill in and there are a couple of things Im unsure about....

It says in the "table of benefits"....
Section 1- vets fees cover including
           * complementary treatments £250 (per condition)
           * referral to a behaviourist £250 (per condition)
           * clinical diet £200 (per condition)
           * overseas vet fees £1,000 (per condition)

What Im not getting here is... I thought this per condition thing was not good, although they do offer upto £7000 in vets fees per period of insurance  :-:

Could others have a look at theirs and see if its the same please.  :)

And yes Rosella its came in at over £10 cheeper than quoated  :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2009, 16:04:41 PM »
Don't hold your breath CC but, when I recently insured Dinah (1 year) and 2 kittens (now 4 months), the premiums ended up being less than quoted on the website. Hope yours is likewise.  Don't know if it made any difference that we already had 3 insured with them.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2009, 08:17:28 AM »
Did you use the second pet discount option CC? I got my youngest insured first, to get the discount on the oldest.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 01:37:08 AM »
well done  ;D

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 01:34:53 AM »
Right have sorted that for Macey  ;D

Just looking through and done the rest of the cats, theres is well into the 80's and it seems to be much more for males  :Crazy:

Macey's was the cheepest by far, only £6 a month!

Glad I got it sorted tho  :)

I wonder how they work it out cos for Mace it was only £72.09 and for the rest of them it was near £86, for all of them each even Lyla!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 01:32:24 AM »
Once you get the papers then you need to fill in the DD form and send it back. Then its likely that two lots will go on the first payment or two lots close together. Other than that they always take it on the same day unless its a weekend or a public holiday in which case its on the next day the banks are open.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 22:40:36 PM »
We paid once the papers had been sent back and in our case when they were sent back it was around the date I had opted for but on the second month so they took 2 lots out.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 22:23:10 PM »
So do you buy and have to pay at the time or pay once the papers have been sent back to them?

Oh can you choose which day it comes out of your bank?

I dread being charged if they take dd's out on the wrong day!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 22:10:24 PM »
Really pleased for you Gill and Franta of course. Axa were also very good about paying up quickly for my boy Tommie's treatment  last year  :(.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 19:01:54 PM »
Well done Dawn  ;D

I have found out today that AXA have paid my original vet for the first stage of Frantas treatment back at beginning of March, so need to find out if the claim forms have gone in from the new vet.

Frantas treatment for those terrible couple of weeks has come to about £600 so we are around £1300 now into his £7000 this year

The money this time went direct to the vet and wonderful people havent asked me for thge excass yet cos thats still outstanding, so must pay them.

However the rest of the claim should have no excess and as I have paid the new vets for part of it I am due the excess back from that vets.

Have to sat that although I was not impressed with the claim form saga......now have loads LOL............they have paid out very quickly for all of Frantas treatment as soon as they have got the claim forms..............thank you AXA  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 16:41:13 PM »
Renewal costs for all companies vary from year to year and also every so often the policies get complete overhauls cos of the prevailing market conditions.

I think axa and £7000 a year with £50 excess is the best deal going currently .

Franta will have used over £1000 of the money so far this year and policy does not renew until late October.

Paying £7 a month is never a waste cc because you work out how many years I would have to have been paying to cover Frantas bills and have only been with AXA 2 yrs in October.

Insurance means you are protecting yourself against the unexpected and allows you to get the best possible treatment for your cat, if you delay too long then that unexpected may happen and then no insurance company will cover them ever!

I am a total believer in insurance and if Franta had needed an MRI scan it would have cost around £2500 at a specialst care centre plus other treatment probably, so could see the £1000 moving to over £4000 ...probably closer to £5000.....in that event. To most people like me that kind of money is frightening and I would have been devasted if I couldnt do all I could to help him , if help was possible.

I am so pleased that Franta is still with me and I could not afford to pay out the current vet bills for him without insurance.

This is to all who are hesitating about getting insurance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do not hesitate any longer cough up and have some peace of mind that you can help your cat if that need is desperate.

I know I thought long and hard about the cost of renewal for both birmans because there insurance doubled last year but they are both 16yrs old in Aug and pedigrees so cos more to start with. An extra £20 a month for the two of them has been far outweighed by Frantas sudden illness and the knowledge that he has only one working kidney, all since last November.

I agree 100% - unless you can afford to insure, can you afford emergencies? - I think £2 or £3 a week to cover a loved cat is well worth it - not that we have ever had to claim.

I had this discussion with someone when I did a homecheck a while ago. I recommended AXA but he said he wasn't working at the moment and couldn't afford it. I asked what he would do if there was an emergency. He gave me a vague "I would have to sort something out". It sounded like he had made his mind up so I suggested that he registered with a PDSA vet until he was working. He wasn't even aware that they could help.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 16:44:00 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2009, 16:38:50 PM »
just did an axa quote for Tilly and it came out at just under £10 per month and I currently pay £14 but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the paperwork which is what sainsburys want me to say isn't it!!

That is what most of them bank on - it's the same with mortgage lenders. I remember about 10 years ago after my fixed rate mortgage ran out, I saw a programme saying most people can save money but are too complacent about it and dread the paperwork. I had an idea to get the best of both worlds. I rang LTSB and said I was going to shop around but before I did, how much were they willing to offer me to stay. They offered me £1000 - I told my next door neighbour who bought her flat at the same time and she got the same deal.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009, 14:29:02 PM »
done it!  I felt awful though the man at sainsburys was lovely when I phoned to cancel and offered me £40 of sainsburys vouchers to stay

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2009, 13:54:03 PM »
Registering on Axa website is quite quick hunnie, they then send out the paperwork for you to confirm and sign for direct debit - it is quite quick honest, I did all my cats in about 10 mins.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2009, 13:25:08 PM »
just did an axa quote for Tilly and it came out at just under £10 per month and I currently pay £14 but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the paperwork which is what sainsburys want me to say isn't it!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2009, 13:10:28 PM »
Renewal costs for all companies vary from year to year and also every so often the policies get complete overhauls cos of the prevailing market conditions.

I think axa and £7000 a year with £50 excess is the best deal going currently .

Franta will have used over £1000 of the money so far this year and policy does not renew until late October.

Paying £7 a month is never a waste cc because you work out how many years I would have to have been paying to cover Frantas bills and have only been with AXA 2 yrs in October.

Insurance means you are protecting yourself against the unexpected and allows you to get the best possible treatment for your cat, if you delay too long then that unexpected may happen and then no insurance company will cover them ever!

I am a total believer in insurance and if Franta had needed an MRI scan it would have cost around £2500 at a specialst care centre plus other treatment probably, so could see the £1000 moving to over £4000 ...probably closer to £5000.....in that event. To most people like me that kind of money is frightening and I would have been devasted if I couldnt do all I could to help him , if help was possible.

I am so pleased that Franta is still with me and I could not afford to pay out the current vet bills for him without insurance.

This is to all who are hesitating about getting insurance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do not hesitate any longer cough up and have some peace of mind that you can help your cat if that need is desperate.

I know I thought long and hard about the cost of renewal for both birmans because there insurance doubled last year but they are both 16yrs old in Aug and pedigrees so cos more to start with. An extra £20 a month for the two of them has been far outweighed by Frantas sudden illness and the knowledge that he has only one working kidney, all since last November.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »
what are the renewals like for Axa I just had Tilly and Oscar renewals from sainsburys and they have now gone up to £14 per month each

Bunty was with Sainsburys which is owed or part of the Axa group but it isn't - the people from Axa explained it to me but its complicated but does make sense when they explain it - and I changed Bunty from Saisburys as I got hit with the £14 renewel and its a lot less at Axa.     Bunty was with Sainsburys as she is an older cat but Axa's wasn't as expensive as Sainsburys and offers more.   Sorry that all didn't make sense I know but phone Axa and ask as when I got Sainsbury's paperwork out and realised it was the Axa Group I was curious.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 09:38:19 AM »
what are the renewals like for Axa I just had Tilly and Oscar renewals from sainsburys and they have now gone up to £14 per month each

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 09:37:16 AM »
Trigger I was with Tescos and have no real complaints but what Axa offer in terms of per year is just brilliant. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 00:00:16 AM »
I certainly can see the per year is better than the per condition, especially as the insurance company would probably be able to argue quite often that one condition led the next

I'm convinced - I'm going to switch from Tesco, even though it's cheaper

who wants to claim the commission? :rofl: :rofl:
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 23:57:37 PM »
Yes thanks Den , that makes sense.

I suppose they are banking on you not making a claim really but paying out a little a month is a chance I have to take and have at least their £7000 as back up. Rather than her getting something and me not being able to pay for it.

Although I could be throwing away £7 a month that makes no comparison to what I could have to pay if she did get ill.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 23:52:57 PM »
if I had a policy with AXA and my cat got a lifelong expensive to treat condition, would AXA simply refuse to renew the policy after the first year of paying out?

or hike the premiums up to some astronomical level?

They won't refuse to renew if it is cover for life.  It shouldn't go up as a result of claims either - it may go up but as a result of overall claims rather than individual claims.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 23:51:19 PM »
I've got Memphis with AXA. Back in November he got a blocked bladder caused by Struvite crystals. It cost just under £800 to get fixed. The policy started off at £7,000 .. there is now £6,200+ left for the remaining policy year.

His policy is due to be renewed in about a months time. When it gets renewed there will be a fresh £7,000 to use [or not  :evillaugh:] for the new policy year. So *if* he were to suffer a blocked bladder again, £700-£800 would be deducted from the fresh pot. It would be like this every year the policy gets renewed.

If he was on a per condition policy and suffered 2 blocked bladders he would be down to £5400 for any bladder/urine related problems for the rest of his life. Or those problems would be excluded if they go by what Susanne says - that they won't carry it over to the next year.

Does that make sense?

Also any pre existing condition would cause you to stay with the insurers. Otherwise you risk that condition being excluded, meaning you would then have to pay for the treatment yourself.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 23:49:19 PM »
if I had a policy with AXA and my cat got a lifelong expensive to treat condition, would AXA simply refuse to renew the policy after the first year of paying out?

or hike the premiums up to some astronomical level?
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 23:46:25 PM »
Sorry cross posted there, I understand now thanks  :)

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 23:28:17 PM »
Ahh so it would be £7000 per condition for the rest of their life, so would not be good for Macey really. And with the per year if I had of spent the £7000, it would be topped upto £7000 again the next year?

I already checked with AXA for her and it quoted me £6.09 a month. But if she did get diabetes within this time would that mean I would have to stay with them? It would be hard to get another to cover an existing illness.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 23:27:42 PM »
I would always go for the per year.  With the per condition, once the £7000 has been paid out, that's it.  So if a cat develops a chronic condition which may need treatment for many years, you will eventually run out and end up having to pay for it all yourself.  With the per year, they refresh the pot each year so even if you ran out one year (say the cat had an unexpected illness or accident that needed expensive treatment on top of the chronic condition), the amount would be renewed the next year.  You'll also find that many that pay out per conditioin actually have a time limit on that, eg a year, so they will pay out a certain amount per condition, but there is also a time limit on how long they will pay out for.  So when they say £7000 per condition, that may only be up to £7000 and within a 12 month period.  They won't necessarily let you carry it over into another year.

Link to CatChat