Author Topic: would like another cat  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: would like another cat
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »
That's a good point MM, I have only ever had older cats, so basing experience on that.
Please spay your cat

Offline sally1974

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 20:57:16 PM »
Thank you for the advice everyone. I am in Cambridgeshire and I live right near wood green animal shelter so I am thinking about going to have a look there. I also got one of my dogs from there. Fingers crossed I find a good match. Thanks again everyone.
Sallyx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 18:54:23 PM »
With a young lad i would put another young lad, boys like to rough and tumble  ;D with older cats i agree with des but overall it does depend on the individuals in question.
Generally go with what the rescue tells you but keep in mind they dont always do things right, you need a good rescue to start with  ;)

What area are you in? There may be a purrs rescue near you!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 18:13:49 PM »
I think it really depends on the cats we've had 2 kittens boy and girl who tolerated each other.  Then oldies both boys 2 of whom weren't siblings but very close and 2 boys who weren't close.  Never had 2 girls but now we have boy and girl and they just live along side oneanother so all different really.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 18:15:11 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 18:07:36 PM »
I've had just about every combination but at one stage I was down to one female cat and she was just over a year old when I brought home 2 kittens, both male. Bronte hated them on sight and hid upstairs solidly for 2 weeks. It took a long time to introduce them and for her to come round. Bronte did eventually accept them and all seemed well until the boys hit 2 and then Bronte had a huge row with one of them and theycompletely avoided each other for a couple of years after that. I still have Bronte and she is 6 now. I only have one of those 2 boys left and Dino is 5 now. In the last two years I've introduced another 4 cats to the clan; 1 boy and 3 girls. Since then Dino and Bronte have become much friendlier and Bronte has even been known to groom some of the others.

In my experience introducing kittens to a slightly older cat was the hardest of all the intros so personally I'd go for a cat of the same age. I've had both male and female and can't say I see any of them better bonded than others.

I'd do what some of the others suggested. Go along to a rescue and let them help you with pairing someone suitable up.

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »
We have a boy and a girl at the moment and they get on well - Sophie was about 14 months when Oscar arrived.  She does sometimes bat him one (claws in) if he gets too much as he is only coming up to 6 months.  We have also had all males as well with no problems.  I think it really does depend on the individual cat but if your present cat is a bit nervous I wouldn't suggest getting a young kitten.  They are very hard work and drive you to distraction at times.  Having said that, I wouldn't swap either of them for the world.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:09:16 AM »
I find male/female combinations are quite good, never had two boys though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 22:39:53 PM »
I think the others have said all the right things. I agree that males generally are more accepting from my experience. So long as they get fed the same amount as before the new one arrived, and they still have access to their favourite snoozing area, boys seem not to care much!  :evillaugh:

If it's at all feasible, keep them apart from each other for a few days and keep rubbing the pair of them over with the same piece of cloth or towel - that way they both get slowly introduced to each other's scents. There's loads of help and advice on this site about introducing cats.  ;)

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 21:46:43 PM »
Hello Sally,

Where abouts are you?

Any good rescue will spend time matching up the right cat to your situation and will give you lots of advice and help in terms of integration techniques. Any rescue that doesn't - walk away! Plus you'll have LOADS of support here as most people here are really experienced with multi cat households!

:welcome: to Purrs xxx
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline sally1974

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 20:00:03 PM »
Thank you both for the advice. I definitely want to get everything right and cause the least amount of stress to both Bailey and the new cat. I am quite nervous even thinking about the introduction as I dont want a big cat fight :scared:
Sallyx

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 19:57:15 PM »
I'd agree it's definately easier to introduce a younger cat as they seem less of a threat. Neutered boys seem to have a great bond in all the situations I've seen. We introduced a kitten to our 18 month old boy earlier in the year and although it took a little while to get used to each other, they are now SO close and are always together. Whatever cat you decide on, and it always depends on the individual cat's personality- there are no clear cut answers, you must make sure you do the introductions very carefully and patiently. If you get to that stage there are lots of people on here who can give great advice on that.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 19:08:27 PM »
I'd say a boy, either the same age or younger but as always it depends on the cat.
Even at a young 18 months a kitten may have too much energy (Especially in that difficult 9 months - 1 year teenage stage (Oh My!))

Offline sally1974

• Kitten
would like another cat
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 19:01:02 PM »
Hi I am new to the forum, I currently have one male neutered cat who is 18 months old. I would really love another cat but I am unsure as to what would be best for my boy. Would a female cat or kitten be better? Do cats like other cat company? I really dont have a clue and obviously I would like to get it right. I also have two dogs who are brilliant with my cat they even sleep together. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sallyx

Link to CatChat