Author Topic: National Cat Show  (Read 10964 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: National Cat Show
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2008, 20:40:04 PM »
Is woking easy to get to, from Croydon? I would love to go.... if Robin can't drive then maybe I'll tag along with you guys.x
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 20:37:18 PM »
Me too, and Max can't wait to meet you, and hopefully some of his other Purrs mates too  ;D

Was thinking of coming back to Woking after the show, there's a good pub close to the Station, maybe get a spot of lunch?

J will be around later in the day as well, so sure he'd like to see you again  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 20:35:47 PM »
Hi hun,

Count me in, I'm looking forward to it and meeting Maxyt boy.

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 20:32:16 PM »
Its in Bracknell this year, bit out of the way, but I have 2 spaces in my car in anyone wants to come with me (need to get a train to Woking, mainline from London Waterloo).

Could make it a mini-meet at my house too  :evillaugh:

Will have a look at website tomorrow and post the other details, I've got a shortcut set so will be able to find it easier ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 20:02:37 PM »
what what what???

I wanna go! WHere is it???
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 20:00:34 PM »
Because I'm feeling lazy, how much is entry? Also any idea how much the train is from central London (any station). Don't know if I will come but it is my Saturday off work, I've never been to a cat show and would rather like to go before I disappear off to NZ. I do have the issue of finding the ruddy place, out in the back of beyond and getting home again but I fancy the day out.

Hmmm.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 19:39:19 PM »
Wow, can't believe this is next Saturday!!!!

Sooooo, who's going?

Me and Leigh are intending to go, who else so we can organise to meet up!  ;D

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 19:00:47 PM »
One thing that I noticed when I went to a TICA show (or was it a FIFE?  not GCCF anyway) was that in the final when cats were eliminated one by one and passed down to their owners, every single owner gave their cat a good cuddle and a few words of praise even though they'd been eliminated from the competition.

I think that was the FIFe one you got cuddled by Bilbo at  ;D
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 17:49:23 PM »
Cat shows are mainly full of cat mad people a

Very true  ;D

All the breeders/showers I know (admittedly not many!  but I do know a few) are cat lovers first and showing/breeding comes secondary to that.  They adore all of their cats and when they're not at a show, their cats live in the home with them and are treated as the loved pets they are.  Unfortunately, you will get some who get carried away with the winning or are bad losers, but most are not like that.

One thing that I noticed when I went to a TICA show (or was it a FIFE?  not GCCF anyway) was that in the final when cats were eliminated one by one and passed down to their owners, every single owner gave their cat a good cuddle and a few words of praise even though they'd been eliminated from the competition.

I know that some people don't like seeing cats in cages or the idea of competition, but shows are about more than showing (esp the supreme).  They showcase cats (non pedigree as well as pedigree), give those considering buying a pedigree a chance to talk to breeders (instead of answering an ad which probably belongs to a kitten farm or backyard breeder), give local rescues an opportunity to fundraise through having stalls and provide a fab opportunity to buy stuff that isn't available in the shops and often at discount prices.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 14:47:28 PM »
Cat shows are mainly full of cat mad people and the odd cat - so you should fit in really well :rofl:

The GCCF website has a list of the shows until May 2009 ;)

http://www.gccfcats.org/showsnew.html

Catbird

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 14:21:22 PM »
Oh no, if you can buy stuff maybe I shouldn't go after all - I'd spend a fortune!   ;D  Do they just get advertised in the local press?

Oh yes you should - you can pick up quite a bit of stuff cheaper than you would in the shops (assuming you found a shop that good).

I've not seen them advertised in the local press but they are on t'internet - try Googling your area + cat shows and see what comes up.  You will almost certainly have a local cat club near you and their site should list upcoming shows.  You can also find the Felis Britannica site and I think shows are listed there.

Hope you have a good time.

C.

PS Whatever anyone says, the Maine Coons are still the bestest!  :wow:  :P

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 13:54:23 PM »
Defo worth going for the shopping  :)

The one thing which I did really love about the show last year was the amount of 'slaves' who spent ages talking about their furbabes, let you stroke them (as long as you'd washed your hands!!!), spoke at length about not only the breeds, but also the temparaments of their own cats, it was clear to me that they adore their babes whatever the outcome and how many rosettes they do or don't win.

For me it was a chance to see breeds I'd never seen before, alongside the household pet sections as well.  To me it makes no difference, they are all adorable whether ped or moggy  :Luv: but having heard about all the different breeds like Maine Coons, NFC, Burmans etc, it was lovely to see just how gorgeous, and different, they are  :)

My fave puss was of course the adorable Pearl, who allowed me to have a little cuddle  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 13:55:13 PM by clarenmax »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 13:21:02 PM »
forgive my ignorance but I didn't know you could get pedigree guinea pigs!  I used to have a long haired one and a rosetted one when I was a kid but my first love was my little peanut who was all black

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 13:20:02 PM »
Oh no, if you can buy stuff maybe I shouldn't go after all - I'd spend a fortune!   ;D  Do they just get advertised in the local press?

:) Yes, people show guinea pigs - again you have your pedigree guinea pigs too! I personally haven't been to a show but definitely wouldn't want to go to a guinea pig one - I do love them, I have 2 of my own. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 13:11:54 PM »
its worth going once just for the shopping!  if you don't like it (my oh doesn't) then you know - love guinea pigs, didn't know people showed them!!

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »
Thanks - I might just do that, just so that I can see for myself.  Your right - there are 2 sides to every argument and I'm quite prepared to listen to them especially when I'm obviously not that clued up on them.   I've been basing them alongside dogs/guinea pig shows/breeders and perhaps should be looking at them all separately.   Of course, it would be a boring world if we all agreed with each other.

Catbird

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 11:21:27 AM »
It is only my perception of what goes on that I am basing my opinion on.   However, I have heard stories surrounding dog and guinea pigs shows and assumed that cat shows would be exactly the same.  If it is just rosettes/medals then that is a bit better - I thought there would be money involved in the prizes.  I still, however, do not like the idea of shows and that won't change.

Hi Angeladeedah,

Serious question with no edge whatsoever - why not go along to a show and find out?  You seem to be fairly open-minded and prepared to listen to comments from the other side of the argument.  You don't have to go to the "biggie", there will be smaller, local shows (Google is your friend).  Dot's a pedigree and I think she was shown as a kitten by her breeder.  I don't show and I wouldn't really want to but that is simply because I'm just not interested in doing it.  Dot's breeder shows her cats regularly BUT if the cat proves not to enjoy the process, she stops taking them to shows.  Her show cats get a teriffic day out, they get to meet loads of people and have a huge fuss made over them.  I suppose Dot's a by product of this but she lives the life of riley here in Catbird Towers and that is what happens to all of this particular breeder's cats - they either go to loving homes (through an extremely thorough vetting process) or they stay with her.  Obviously there are dodgy breeders who don't care about their cats but I wonder if they would be bothered to show them?  There's no money in it, at least nowhere near enough to cover the cost of raising show quality cats - just because they are pedigree, they are not necessarily show quality.

I hope you go to a show and get a chance to meet the cats and chat to the owners and breeders.  Mainly, I hope you go because it will probably put your mind at rest.  There are good and bad breeders but, as we are all too well aware, there are good and bad owners and breeders of any cats - moggy to pedigree.  It's not a problem restricted to, or exacerbated by, pedigrees and showing.

I hope this doesn't read as a rant because it certainly isn't intended as one!  If you go, I hope you enjoy your trip (go check out the Maine Coons - the bestest cats  :Luv:.

C.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »
It is only my perception of what goes on that I am basing my opinion on.   However, I have heard stories surrounding dog and guinea pigs shows and assumed that cat shows would be exactly the same.  If it is just rosettes/medals then that is a bit better - I thought there would be money involved in the prizes.  I still, however, do not like the idea of shows and that won't change.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »
I think you are making a sweeping statement tbh.  Is your comment made from experience or your perception of what happens?

Of the people I know on the 'show circuit' they love their cats and would certainly not get rid of them after they have finished their show career. 

Also in the majority of shows there is no money in winning just rosettes/cards.

I also fail to understand your comment re its not fair marking a cat on how it looks/acts - why not - its not as if the cat will be mentally scarred from hearing the comments. Bam Bam couldn't care less as far as he's concerned he's had lots of cuddles and been played with all day.

You have a right to your opinion and if you don't like the idea of shows then that is entirely up to you I just wanted to clear a few things up.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 08:27:11 AM »
That's great that they have a non-pedigree section - however, it still does not get away from the fact that there will be many people (and would assume that none of them come on here) that will be in it purely for the money/medals and will no longer want the animal once it passes it's competition best.

The judges are also looking for perfection - and it's not fair to mark an animal on how it looks/presents itself etc.

I don't doubt for one second that people on here who show their cat will have them for life and will give them first class care - after all, they're on here because of their love for cats.   It's the people that don't come on here - the people who are only interested in the shows for themself, not the cats.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 22:37:05 PM »
Sorry, but I don't agree with cat and dog shows.    It's not fair on the animals to be preened to their maximum and then suffer someone marking them on how they look.

Shows are also what increases everyone wanting pure pedigree cats and dogs and why many are left with no homes and in rescues - or dismissed as soon as they are of no longer use and not winning medals.

Sorry, I really have to object to that statement - especially since I show a household pet i.e. a non-pedigree. I don't find it fair that you're tarring all of us involved in the cat fancy with the same brush. :( Household pets are not judged on looks, but on presentation, temperament and condition. If anything, the competition is far harder in the household pet section of shows.

Pearl is first and foremost my special little girl and what she does on the show bench is only the icing on the cake. Besides, I know I'm *always* taking the best cat home with me.

As you can see, Pearl is really not bothered in the slightest by showing. :Luv2: She loves meeting people - whether judges and stewards or members of the public and is a real ambassador for the non-pedigree show cats.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 22:40:29 PM by Reynard »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 21:45:21 PM »
Oh that made me larf  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 21:43:42 PM »
Oscar was a blue - he was more show quality , but they have always just been pets!

I always found it amusing that Oscars posh name was Panjanderum Ferrari - if he got over 5 miles an hour we were doing well! :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 19:05:58 PM »
Franta and Ducha have a big pedigree too and have a grand champion and other champs in their lines, one of which was very grand LOL.

havent got their cards to hand but am sure they would have both done quite well if shown when young.

I love Beavis colour, mine are a blue point and a seal point  ;D

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 18:55:13 PM »
Beavis mum is a champion and his granny and great granny were Grand Champions. He however is a complete slob and a bit of a scuiff bag.....................................but hes my happt scruff bag and I loves him!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 18:55:40 PM by Kirst »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 18:49:07 PM »
Same with my Birmans lol....my moggies would not approve  and although Misa is so very handsome I am sure he would do well. Sasa would not be amused at all as beautiful as she is.  ;D

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 18:45:51 PM »
I woul consider entering Gizzy for a non pedigree class............whereas Beavis has a pedigree as long as my arm an woul be rubbish in a show! :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 18:16:16 PM »
Although cat shows obviously have big pedigree classes, the household pet classes are now very competitve and they are absolutely gorgeous.....no pedigrees allowed.

I hope that cat shows promote cats and yes some of the breeders are very single minded but many of the people who go to look are just cat owners and lovers.

I have at times had a worry over certain cats, especially kittens who do not seem to be very happy, and think that maybe the days are a bit long for them.......they are bloomin long for me and I only get there halfway through usually LOL.........but on the whole people who show are sensible and do not show cats who do not enjoy the process.

They are places for lovers of cats to meet and chat and learn and also shop  ;D

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 18:05:13 PM »
Sorry, but I don't agree with cat and dog shows.    It's not fair on the animals to be preened to their maximum and then suffer someone marking them on how they look.

Shows are also what increases everyone wanting pure pedigree cats and dogs and why many are left with no homes and in rescues - or dismissed as soon as they are of no longer use and not winning medals.

I show my kitten and he is so relaxed.  I said that I would try him and if he didn't like it that would be it.  But he's a bit of a show off and does actually like the attention.  If you go to a show you will find that most of the cats are fast asleep.

Shows also have a growing Household Pet section its not just pedigrees on show.  I also don't apologise for the fact that I personally love the persian breed and Bam Bam is my first kitten the others are rescues.  I think you will find that many pedigrees are in rescue for many different reasons.  My 2 boys were in due to the owner developing mental problems.

Shows are not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine but to insinuate that people who show would 'get rid' of their cat when it ends its show career is very offensive.  I fell in love with Bam Bam from a 4 week old piccie and at that point wasn't thinking of showing.  He is first and foremost my baby. 

Here is a piccie of Bam Bam at a show on Saturday - Mr Relaxation

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 17:04:28 PM »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »
the car park is pretty big, although I've only been to specific breed shows which probably don't get the same interest.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 19:20:22 PM »
This sounds a very inconvenient place to hold the show!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 17:21:25 PM »
There is a station at Bracknell, but its not really walkable from there.  I would imagine they may run a bus service or something as the leisure centre is quite a way out from the main town centre.

If I have room in my car Sharon, and depending on if we can tie up times etc, I can always pick you up as well from the station? 

I need to look into amounts of parking on site, and whether they have a park and ride set up as well, that could be a possibility!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 17:18:56 PM »
Where is it being held this year? Didnt go last  year and i hear that it wasnt so good as previous years.

Whats the nearest train station and can you walk from the train station to the show?
Ta much
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 17:01:31 PM »
Dog shows and cat shows are not the same at all.

Right just typed a lot about the Supreme rather than National lol.

At National all the cats are in their cages and judges come round and judge them  by taking them out of their cage and then after putting them back.

Its only the top cats who are then moved to a set of cages on the stage and each one is then judged on the stage.................well thats how it used to be in London, dont know what facilities they have at Bracknell.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 16:55:55 PM »
I might join you - I'm bad with directions but will do my best!

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 16:28:43 PM »
Thanks hun that sounds like a really nice offer, I'll get back to you on that one ASAP, I'd love to meet Maxy boy.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 16:23:24 PM »
I went to the National last year for the first time, and was torn about the cats in cages thing, but to be honest, I didn't see too many looking distressed if I'm honest.

I was lovely see lots of breeds I'd never seen before as well, and the shopping was fab  :)

I think I'll probably go again this year.

Leigh, if you can jump on a train to Woking you're more than welcome to come with me  ;)  You'd also get to meet the gorgeous Max in person too  :Luv:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 16:20:32 PM »
I enjoyed last year because I met up with Dawn and her hubby, Witty and the georgous Pearl and Clare and Tessa but, as a show, I didin't think it was that good but it was the first time that I'd been. I'd love to goto Bracknell but it is a bit far without transport.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 16:17:40 PM »
I'm torn on my principles, in that I don't agree with crufts and I don't know whether its like that!!!

Link to CatChat